• Latest reply 11 years ago by markmon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IJ_LED_list.png
DSC01811(1).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dezaanster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Hi all,

I just got an IJ pinball machine today. Because i wanted to put it in my attic i had to remove the backbox to get it up the stairs. This meant disconnecting all circuit board connectors. I labelled all connectors and after i got the machine upstairs i reconnected everything carefully. When i powered on the machine the DMD did not give a normal response. Video of the startup of the machine:

Can anyone give me a in hint as to what might be wrong?

Thanks,
Bart

#4 11 years ago

Thank you for your suggestions.

I checked all connectors, checked the right position and the right direction of all connectors. This all seems to be fine.
Also checked the ribbon cables, these are connected properly.
And yes, i put the ground strap back on.

What can cause the DMD to malfunction on startup?

#7 11 years ago

Rechecked the ribbon cables but they are definitely in the right position. The red stripes are pin one and they are connected exactly as they were before i started disconnecting everything (checked the picture i took before disconnecting).
One of the cables could be a bad one but this seems unlikely because everything was working this morning and i handled everything carefully.

Any other ideas?

DSC01811(1).JPGDSC01811(1).JPG

#10 11 years ago

I uplugged the ribbon connector from the DMD board and then powered it on. It does exactly the same except the DMD has 4 pixels lighted up instead of many random pixels.

#14 11 years ago

@system11, i must have misunderstood you earlier because then i only disconnected one of the DMD board ribbon cables. I now disconnected all three and then the machine boots. Everything works except the DMD (obviously), flippers and sound. Does that give a hint? Is there maybe something wrong with the CPU->Fliptronics->Sound->DMD ribbon cable?

@Borygard, if i disconnect all ribbon cables from the CPU board the diagnostics LED (D20) starts blinking. I checked all the header pins but they seem fine to me.

If one of the ribbon cables is causing this problem i might be able to get new ones today.

#17 11 years ago

I'll try to connect all ribbon cables one at a time, but i don't really know what to look for...
Also, i noticed that LED 3 on the power driver board lights up when i start the machine although the operations manual says it should be off during operation. Does anyone know what this means?

IJ_LED_list.pngIJ_LED_list.png

#18 11 years ago

Thank you for all your help everyone, yesterday i switched the ends of the DMD board->CPU board and DMD board->DMD ribbon cables and this solved the problem!

#21 11 years ago

I'm still replacing my ribbon cables with new ones this weekend, they work now but they are just old. A complete set of new ones costs around $30 here. Maybe that would solve your problem as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
12,500 (OBO)
$ 1,419.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dezaanster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-not-starting-properly-after-reconnecting-circuit-board-connectors?tu=dezaanster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.