Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1650.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I have several issues going on w/my IJ. The first is my mode start has never stuck well. Nothing new. I have read a bunch of solutions. Saw this one, wondering what people think of it?

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=97106.0

More importantly is I need to fix the mode start. There is some wear in front of it and I would like to stop that from getting any worse/or fix it the best I can. I really don't want to pull the playfield.

Any ideas on how to approach this? Is there anyone that is in the West burbs of Chicago that would like to make a house call?

Lastly, where do people buy replacement parts these days? I need a shooter lane switch and some other items. Just curious where to get stuff from.

IMG_1650.jpgIMG_1650.jpg
#2 9 years ago

Looks like it would work. I have an IJ here that needs a mode hole mod. It kicks back about 75% right now. I'd want to have a Cliffy protector on the hole. You'd have to swing it around and drill three new holes for the protector.

You should be able to get the switch from Pinball Life.

#3 9 years ago

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_1&products_id=131

Buy some of the above from Pinbits. Put a little under the bracket behind the mode start hole.

#4 9 years ago

1. Drop dead foam on deflector (I did not remove mine)
2. Drop the saucer under the pf with washers
3. Change the right flipper coil to 11630. Don't worry, left ramp and left orbit are still fast. I'm sure it also helps with reducing air balls off the center drops.

I'm probably better than 99%, very rare to have a bounce out.

#5 9 years ago

Good suggestions. The other thing you can do, it worked for my buddy, we elongated the screw holes on the deflector bracket and moved it back a bit. For him, after 1-3 didn't work, that did.

Quoted from spidey:

1. Drop dead foam on deflector (I did not remove mine)
2. Drop the saucer under the pf with washers
3. Change the right flipper coil to 11630. Don't worry, left ramp and left orbit are still fast. I'm sure it also helps with reducing air balls off the center drops.

I'm probably better than 99%, very rare to have a bounce out.

#6 9 years ago

I think you should repair the scoop hole first and then put a cliffy on it to prevent further wear. If you don't repair it first the thin cliffy will take on the shape of the worn bit.
I'm no expert but repairing the hole should be pretty easy with some Quikwood epoxy putty.

What spidey says regarding the drop dead foam worked well for me also and does seem to be the best consensus solution (there are many posts on this subject!). In my case I did remove the deflector.

#7 9 years ago

I drilled three new holes in the deflector plate as close to the bend as possible. This moved the plate back just far enough to completely solve any mode start rejects for my machine. I can even slam it hard from the right flipper without any problems. Real satisfying.

I've heard removing the plate entirely works well too, but I have a cliffy there that I wanted to keep to prevent any wear.

Edit: jalpert beat me to it, but basically the same idea.

#8 9 years ago

I do miss the satisfying 'click' that the deflector used to make...

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

I think you should repair the scoop hole first and then put a cliffy on it to prevent further wear. If you don't repair it first the thin cliffy will take on the shape of the worn bit.
I'm no expert but repairing the hole should be pretty easy with some Quikwood epoxy putty.
What spidey says regarding the drop dead foam worked well for me also and does seem to be the best consensus solution (there are many posts on this subject!). In my case I did remove the deflector.

So does anyone out there have experience with fixing holes with "Quickwood Epoxy Putty"?

Not too concerned about the cosmetics as you can't even see the hole. But I do want to prevent anymore wear around the hole.

So would I just sand down that area, then apply the putty and form up the hole again? Followed up by sanding smooth? Maybe a localized shot of clear when it is done?

#10 9 years ago

You should drill some holes or rough up the area (rather than sand smooth) which will give the quickwood something to bite into. Then you smooth and sand that out (I always oversize it) to fit. But yeah, you got the idea and the stuff works well. Good luck!

#11 9 years ago

Ok, just ordered some. Thanks for the help folks!

#12 9 years ago

Now what I want to know is how many of you have made it to wizard mode om WIJ93' without modifying your game ? I did !

#13 9 years ago

I have ounce..

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Now what I want to know is how many of you have made it to wizard mode om WIJ93' without modifying your game ? I did !

With the mode scoop fix I got there twice in one game, but failed both times.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Not even close. I would say 1 out of 5 mode hole shots actually stayed in the hole. Very frustrating. So I am looking forward to doing this project.

#16 9 years ago

I have made wizard mode without any modifications. I didn't get the 1B point shot, though.

My saucer is at about a 70% stick rate, on average. I am going to try to elongate the screwholes on the plate to give it some room for adjustment. I just haven't had the time yet.

The shot is also a lot easier to stick if I backhand it from the left flipper.

#17 9 years ago

Checked four different places. Everyone is sold out of Cliffy Protectors for the Mode Start/IJ.

Any ideas?

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Checked four different places. Everyone is sold out of Cliffy Protectors for the Mode Start/IJ.
Any ideas?

Can't you just order direct from Cliffy, or is he out of stock?
Passionforpinball.com

#19 9 years ago

I just got some from Cliffy himself about a month ago. I would try him directly.

#20 9 years ago

Good point guys. I just never ordered his stuff directly. I have a msg into him. Going to load up on other game protectors too

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 85.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

14,000 (OBO)
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

12,500 (OBO)
11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Wanted
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-mode-start-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.