Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinballManiac40
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160310_093645_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I'll try to keep this brief and to the point. ...I was finishing up a game a few days ago, and as the last ball drained I noticed the flippers stopped working. No big deal I thought. Turns out that upon further inspection. ...nothing, mechanically speaking,works at all. Drop downs, bumpers, flippers and the ball popper. Electrically speaking, it seems ok. ..flipper buttons and the gun make their usual noises. ..just no action. All lights are working on the board. ..if that makes any difference at all.
Where's a good place to start for diagnostic? All fuses on the boards appear to be good. ..although I have not checked voltage.
Thank you for any and all advice and help

#2 3 years ago

Most likely culprit is the hv disconnect switch that is mounted with the coin door open switch. Its purpose is to turn off the 48v to all coils when the door is open. Check with your multimeter if u have voltage before and after it. Just after the transformer is a plug that diverts power to that switch via the harness to the door switch, it then comes back up the harness to another plug right beside the one from the transformer where it then heads right to the backbox.

#3 3 years ago

Go into your test modes and check..flipper coil test (do they work?) and in the switch test, do the flipper opto buttons record? Run the coil tests, are they working?

Check the voltages on the power driver board and report back.

#4 3 years ago

Ok. .gotta little free time today to check some stuff out.
PJ....I'm guessing you are speaking of the 2 white switches behind the door? If so. ..I followed the red & white wires from those 2 switches back to the plug and they are at about 10 volts. That was at the switch and both plugs. I couldn't really find a good schematic on that switch for what it should be at.
Pin maniac. ...I ran all above tests mentioned. ..on the solenoid test. ...none of them work. ..board reads "running"...but nothing is actually working. Now. ..in the flipper test. ..the coils aren't working. ..but optos are working in the switch test. .
Hopefully this info helps. ..and I do appreciate your time ...thanks so much

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from jr116:

Pin maniac. ...I ran all above tests mentioned. ..on the solenoid test. ...none of them work. ..board reads "running"...but nothing is actually working. Now. ..in the flipper test. ..the coils aren't working. ..but optos are working in the switch test. .
Hopefully this info helps. ..and I do appreciate your time ...thanks so much

Did you close the coin door while the tests are running?

#6 3 years ago

Check the fuses. Replace with correct size.

#7 3 years ago

All tests were ran both ways. ....same outcome.
All fuses test out ok

#8 3 years ago

Can you take a picture of your power driver board with the game on and the coin door closed? Might give us an idea if this may be a voltage problem.

Also try reseating both sides of the small ribbon cable between the MPU and the power driver board.

#9 3 years ago

What other WPC games do you have?

#10 3 years ago

I can do that. .wouldn't be till the morning. This is the only machine I have personally. ...been working great up until this. My buddy has a TZ which he'll be checking sine readings tonight when he gets off work

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from jr116:

All fuses test out ok

Did you remove each fuse and measured with an ohmmeter?
Especially F112 2nd from the top at the top left of the driver board? This is a 7amp fuse.
Description of the problem is leading me to believe this fuse has failed.

#12 3 years ago

Will double check in the am....but everything was measured with an ohm meter. ...installed and removed. ....I will pay special attention to that particular fuse.
Thank you for taking the time. ..much appreciated

#13 3 years ago

Pin maniac. ..here's the pic.

#14 3 years ago

Unfortunately TZ does not have that disable switch as it came out just before they added them. Try unplugging the lead to the door switch at the transformer and measure the voltage with your meter on the ac 120v range. It should read around 50v ac on the transformer side.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from PeteyJ:

Unfortunately TZ does not have that disable switch as it came out just before they added them.

I assume you are saying TZ because you are looking at your machine trying to help?
If so, you have a STTNG that should have this disable switch.

Though, opening the door on my Indy, the coil power does not disable either, just like on TZ.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from jr116:

Pin maniac. ..here's the pic.

I'm sorry, I lost track of your thread.
You seem to have all your voltages on your driver board based on the LEDs that are lit up.

Can you measure all the voltages on all your coils for us (including flipper coils)? You should only need to turn on the game.

#17 3 years ago

If the voltages are on all the coils, and I suggest, with power off, reseat both sides of the short ribbon cable between the MPU and driver board and also push down on the ASIC chip (U9) that is in the big socket on the MPU.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 254.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Syracuse, IN

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside