IJ Indiana Jones F116 Blowing (FIXED)

By Lushtech

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So game worked just fine then it went bananas. Solenoids popping, balls firing out all over the place, credit dot, motor errors etc. Found F116 (12V supply) fuse blown. Replaced it and for a couple minutes things were fine (escept VUK is constantly firing every couple seconds), but then bananas again. After some digging and troubleshooting I THINK I have it isolated to the J116 plug. If this is unplugged from the power driver board, fuse doesn't pop. If it is plugged in, fuse takes about 30 seconds before it goes. you can see it slowly turn orange then pop. Any ideas?? Not sure where this plug goes. Seems like it feeds the coin door circuit board, but it loops in and out of that and off to where I am not sure.... its driving me crazy.

#2 6 years ago

You'll need to run down those color of wires and first look for anything obvious. Wires worn or pinched and shorting to ground.

Unplug coin door harness from coin door interface board. If it woesn't blow you have a short inside that harness or on coin door, if not, you at least eliminated one thing.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Looking at the manual, that is 12 volts to the coin door. Which runs from the power driver board, down into the game, along the side, to the coin door interface board and to coin door.

I'd look over the coin door interface board. Be sure it is clean, no black electrical conducting dust on it. No screws or bolts between the board and the cabinet wall.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks for the reply...So a little more info, if I measure voltage at the fuse, I am getting 5VDC. Also, what is strange is that if I measure voltage at the coin door board, I get 12VDC. with the J116 plug disconnected. I am thinking something is wired up incorrectly? if this J116 is supposed to be 12v to the coin door, how can there be 12v there if J116 is unplugged? With this plug disconnected, it seems that none of my Optos are powered up anymore. Or at a minimum my through opto boards.

#5 6 years ago

OK dug a little more....

I have 15V (is 15V a problem?) at the output of J116 and J118, clearly these 2 outputs are in parallel. J118 must be feeding the coin door loop, and that seems fine. J116 is feeding lots o stuff according to the manual...ugh. Bridge Driver board, Motor EMI PCB (wheel motor), Plane Gun LEDs, Through LED board, Through photo transistor PCB, 10 SW opto PCB, Idol Opto PCB, Motor EMI PCB for idol, etc...

where does a guy start??

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Lushtech:

I am thinking something is wired up incorrectly?

Quoted from Lushtech:

So game worked just fine then it went bananas.

Unless you changed wiring, nothing is wired wrong, it was okay at one point.

If you have a short out there, voltages aren't going to be accurate and no idea why you are measuring them either.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Lushtech:

where does a guy start??

Unplug coin door harness, unplug connectors to coin door interface board.

#8 6 years ago

Following

#9 6 years ago

need more fuses at this point....

another item to note, when J116 is connected, Rows 2 and 3 show as shorted when the game boots until the slow blow fuse goes...

Prior to this, row 1 was also shorted. This was caused by an aftermarket spotlight that was powered via a GI lamp with alligator clips. One of the clips was shorting the +- together. Removed the clips, and row 1 is good but 2 and 3 still shorted. Could this have smoked the U20 chip?

will try disconnecting the coin door harness and interface board tomorrow.

#10 6 years ago

Update,

I have this isolated now to the 10 Sw.-Opto PCB. If J1 is disconnected then no more fuses blowing. When I plug it back in, it takes a second or 2 but then rows 1, 2, 3 show as shorted.... thoughts?

#11 6 years ago

update,

Now i am down to the board being bad. is I activate the captive ball Opto, I get Rows 2 and 3 shorted. Same result if I disconnect the optos for the captive ball...does it make sense that the board is bad? Any pointers would be great!

#12 6 years ago

So, finally figured this out. Bad Opto Board. swapped and all is right in the world. no more fuses blowing, no more issues....IJ is back

6 years later
#13 9 months ago

Was this the opto board under the mini playfield?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 29.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

12,500 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 85.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

14,000 (OBO)
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-indiana-jones-f116-blowing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.