Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by robertmee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I dont know if this is possible but here goes nothing.

When i turn on my ij and play the first game, the flippers are powerfull, but after few minnuts, i feel like the flippers go a little weaker, not full but maby only 80% of full power.

Is this even possible? or am i writting gibirish?

#2 12 years ago

Clean the EOS switch and the switch at the button with alcohol. (game off)
Make sure the EOS switch is closed when the flipper is at rest and closes when the flipper returns to rest after being engaged. If that does not work use a small file on the contacts. I have an IJ and had it just cut off on me the other day in the middle of game play. All i did was take the CPU chip out and gently sanded the tips of the chip for a clean connection. Put it back in and never had the problem since. Good luck!

#3 12 years ago

Physically check your flipper coil...Is it getting hot? If so, then as Sky suggests, your EOS is not switching the coil to low power and the high power coil is being used to hold the flipper. That causes the flipper coil to get hot, the sleeve inside gets soft creating more friction and you lose flipper power.

#4 12 years ago

Coils are getting pretty hot, after few mins.
In switch test, when i lift the flippers manually, it registers eos.

#5 12 years ago

A few things to check....

Make sure that the EOS closes at the end of stroke of the flipper and not sooner

Clean the U shaped flipper optics. If the optics are dirty, then the flipper is rapidly seeing on/off and thus energizing the high power coil on/off and never gets to the low power coil. Real dirty, and you'd see flipper flutter. But marginally dirty, the on/off is fast enough you won't see flutter, but the lower power coil is never energizing.

If neither of those solves the problem, swap flipper boards left to right. If the problem follows the flipper board, then likely the LM339 IC at U4 and/or U6 on the fliptronics board is failing.

#6 12 years ago

Hot-damn...
This pins former owner dident know anything about pin-repair, just played the machine, through the last 15 years he had it, and when the gi lights were gone, dirty pf, ext. He bought him self a new IJ.
I bought his old worn one now why did i write all this, its because i took a closer look at the switch menu, and fount out that, when i i flip the right flipper, it activated THE LEFT E.O.S!!!
visa wersa!!! WTF!

I have changhed the eos to the propper flippers, cleaned them, and now they work great, and no hotness problem...

I have changed the tubes, with ease, no hotness melting problem in the coils, but should i also change the coils??? What are your thoughts

Thank you guys!

#7 12 years ago

No coils are likely fine....good job

#8 12 years ago

Ohhhhh it plays/flips great )
Thanks!!!

#9 12 years ago

How do the ramp shots work? Are they easy to hit? When I rebuilt my IJ, there was an incorrect coil on the right. When I ordered a replacement, i couldn't believe how much better it was than the left, which were both the same, and this was after a complete rebuilt. I change out the coil on the left, and wow...

I always heard coils don't wear out, provided the sleeve moves fine, but since this, and a friend telling me, who does high end restores, that he always changes out flipper coils, I have started doing this on all machines, and it does make a difference.

Coils are so cheap, so for me, new additions always now see a total rebuild with new flippers.

btw - that is hilarious about the previous owner buying a new one over those issues.

#10 12 years ago

EOS switches really shouldn't matter since the switch between coils is timed automatically by the CPU... right?

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

How do the ramp shots work? Are they easy to hit? When I rebuilt my IJ, there was an incorrect coil on the right. When I ordered a replacement, i couldn't believe how much better it was than the left, which were both the same, and this was after a complete rebuilt. I change out the coil on the left, and wow...
I always heard coils don't wear out, provided the sleeve moves fine, but since this, and a friend telling me, who does high end restores, that he always changes out flipper coils, I have started doing this on all machines, and it does make a difference.
Coils are so cheap, so for me, new additions always now see a total rebuild with new flippers.
btw - that is hilarious about the previous owner buying a new one over those issues.

The left ramp easy, buy the right one is a pain in the a.. but i think its because its a more diffecult angle, 90% of the times, i cant hit the right ramp (i am not a pro pinball player)

Power on the flippers are great, now i can loop on the outerramps, great shot. (he is in the belly of that metal beast indy)

How is your experience with the diffeculty of the right/left ramp shots?

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

EOS switches really shouldn't matter since the switch between coils is timed automatically by the CPU... right?

I can just tell ya, my coils dosent get hot anymore

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Yes but no....fliptronic boards do have a safety timeout for non operating eos. But it is likely well after the time a normal eos would close. So it still puts undue stress in coil.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
$ 12.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1,419.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-hotness-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.