Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7B48D480-1711-408E-AEDA-F00FA0CDCFCD (resized).jpeg
152001D3-613A-485E-92DA-27019C480225 (resized).jpeg
62C29C6D-A497-4287-BC00-4A2CD41C3DF6 (resized).jpeg
56BF87B4-7B3D-4962-A894-33D68664F4BF (resized).jpeg
#1 9 years ago

Installed a color DMD into my Indiana Jones a few days ago. Looks fantastic. I've played many games since installing it. Tonight, I turned it on and played a few games, and then left it sit for an hour or so to hang with the family. When I came back, it was making a knocking noise and the color DMD was out. I quickly turned it off, waited a few minutes, and powered her back up. It immediately cycled all six balls and the DMD is still out. What's going on here? Sure was hoping for some quality time with Indy and the gang tonight.

Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 9 years ago

Fuse blown? Got any other mods drawing current?

#3 9 years ago

Check all your fuses. I think the ColorDMD runs off both the 5 volts and 12 volts, right?

#4 9 years ago

Please check/replace fuse at F116 (12V unregulated). This is the same circuit that drives the playfield optos which is the reason the balls are cycling.

Randy

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Please check/replace fuse at F116 (12V unregulated). This is the same circuit that drives the playfield optos which is the reason the balls are cycling.
Randy

And it's doubtful this will be a permanent solution. You will probably need to run your colordmd 12v off a separate power supply. Sometimes the older boards don't handle the added load well.

#6 9 years ago

I've found this to be more often than not. Running mods off the existing 12v supply is asking for trouble.

#7 9 years ago

Or properly fix the issue you are having with the 12v on your board. You don't need an external power supply to run a ColorDMD, but sometimes installing one can bring existing issues with no symptoms out of the woodwork.

Quoted from markmon:

You will probably need to run your colordmd 12v off a separate power supply.

#8 9 years ago

Can anyone point to a guide online on how to run the ColorDMD off a separate power supply? I'm getting the fuse blowing when I plug in a bunch of LED strips on top of the ColorDMD - if I unplug them the ColorDMD runs fine. So I need to run one of them off the board but have no idea how to do this. Thanks

#10 9 years ago

pinballinreno - What does this connect to? Do you have something like this already installed? Thanks

#11 9 years ago

Yes, more info would be great thanks - I assume this plugs into the service outlet? And then the colour DMD connects to this somehow?

#12 9 years ago

Yep it is a fuse. Same thing happened to my TNG with a colorDMD.

F116 will be blown if you have the same issue. Changed the fuse and it has not blown since.

#13 9 years ago

Maybe check the fuse? There is an off chance someone replaced it with the wrong fuse and that's the reason it's blowing.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from gac:

pinballinreno - What does this connect to? Do you have something like this already installed? Thanks

I have it running into the wall outlet with a switch tapped into the wire, through a cabinet vent.

I guess you could also plug it into the service outlet inside the cab.

#15 9 years ago

Sorry for the delayed response. You guys were right. Simply a blown fuse at F116.
Sure appreciate the help. By the way, Indy and color DMD go together better than peanut butter and jelly. Here's hoping Santa brings me one for my Theatre of Magic

#16 9 years ago

Well, the fuse keeps blowing. Other issues then, correct?

Thanks in advance for the help.

#17 9 years ago

Do you have any other mods, like the jackpot lights, LED strips etc, running off 12V in the backbox? If you do, try disconnecting all of them and see if the fuse still blows.

#18 9 years ago

You can get a cheap 12v power supply from Amazon like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Power-Supply-LCD-Monitor/dp/B003TUMDWG

To test you can use your service port. Cut off the round tip and use a 4 position idc like this http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70042755. Use the two middle pins and push the wires in so the positive is on the right (pin 3 from left) when the idc prongs are facing up and the ground on pin 2. Then plug that into your color DMD power. You can use the color DMD aux port to run the LED strips after.

Once you get that working, locate the black and white wires that run from your games power switch to the coindoor. These are 120v AC and live for a bill accepter. With the game off, you can patch into these and wire nut the wires from the power plug portion that runs into your service outlet into these wires. After this, the 12v power supply will be powered by the games power switch.

#19 9 years ago

Very nicely done markmon! I'm making these changes now.

1 year later
#20 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

You can get a cheap 12v power supply from Amazon like this:
amazon.com link »
To test you can use your service port. Cut off the round tip and use a 4 position idc like this http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70042755. Use the two middle pins and push the wires in so the positive is on the right (pin 3 from left) when the idc prongs are facing up and the ground on pin 2. Then plug that into your color DMD power. You can use the color DMD aux port to run the LED strips after.
Once you get that working, locate the black and white wires that run from your games power switch to the coindoor. These are 120v AC and live for a bill accepter. With the game off, you can patch into these and wire nut the wires from the power plug portion that runs into your service outlet into these wires. After this, the 12v power supply will be powered by the games power switch.

So I've run into the same problem on my IJ after installing the Color DMD. I'm running the IJ topper from Tilt Toppers and it is already drawing power to feed the topper so after installing the Color DMD fuse F116 is blowing. I want to keep the topper cause I think it is excellent so I'm working on the fix via Markmon's instructions.

I have a couple of questions. The power supply coming into the Color DMD with the IDC connector supplied by Color DMD has three wires that connect to the Color DMD board via an IDC connector that is powered from J116 . What Markmon suggests is only two wires from 12v power supply through the IDC connector and into the Color DMD board. What's the 3rd wire for and will it hurt the Color DMD if I don't have this 3rd wire?

I also wanted to confirm that the Color DMD is a 12v supply for IJ. When I installed the Color DMD into my LOTR it says to plug the power supply into the 5v/12v power source on the manchine. So is this a 12v adapter or a 5v adaptor I have to buy? I don't want to blow anything up due to my ignorance.

Thanks for any help getting My IJ back up and running. The Color DMD looked awesome for the 20 minutes it was on before the fuse blew.

QSS

#21 8 years ago

The ColorDMD won't work without all three wires. They bring 12V, 5V, and ground to the ColorDMD circuit board. Both 5V and 12V are needed.

You can turn down the backlight setting on the ColorDMD to reduce the current pulled by the display but it's likely the added combined current for the topper and the ColorDMD will continue to blow the fuse.

1 week later
#22 8 years ago

You can get this from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002OV1VJW

This provides a power supply that has both 12v and 5v. I've used these several times for pinball mods and threw the hard drive stuff in the trash.

1 week later
#23 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

You can get this from Amazon amazon.com link »
This provides a power supply that has both 12v and 5v. I've used these several times for pinball mods and threw the hard drive stuff in the trash.

Do you need to re-wire the adaptor? Tempted to buy a couple of these.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from jints56:

After reading some of the reviews, there is no way I would have 1 of those in my house and I sure wouldn't connect it to a $400 ColorDMD.

"Smell, spark, fizzle, pop! That's about the sequence of events after I plugged in the power supply for its 3rd use... The hard drive was connected to the adapter at that time and I'm not yet sure if it's shot. Good thing that it happened while I was right there! The power supply obviously has a defect (as confirmed by other reviews) and the seller shrugs it off saying that it's out of the 30 day warranty period. STAY AWAY from this item! It's not worth the savings..."

I looked around a bit for 5V 12V power supplies and found this company.

http://www.coolerguys.com/extps.html

If you look at their about page, it's obvious they take pride in their company and their reputation with US made components.

http://www.coolerguys.com/aboutus.html

#25 7 years ago

The Mean Well external power supplies seem to be a good well-made product.
This is the one I have powering my ColorDMD and Laserriffic topper in MM:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-Dual-Output-Volt/dp/B005T7EZM8

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from jints56:

Quoted from DCFAN:

amazon.com link »

Jints,

If you're interested in trying a separate supply, the one DCFAN points out is one that I helped him install in your former MM. I'd be glad to help you as well. Just let me know.

2 months later
#27 7 years ago

I just ran into the same exact issue. Williams IJ running fine for months with the ColorDMD. Added the Tilttopper IJ topper a few weeks ago and fuse F116 just burnt out. The ColorDMD went dark, the topper went dark and the machine kept cycling the balls though. Replaced fuse F116 and everything is now ok !

I read through this thread and im not sure about adding in the external power supply for the Color DMD. That looks complicated and the Color DMD by itself worked fine for months and I think adding in the new topper which also runs off the same circuit was just one too many mods and that blew the fuse.

I am thinking if I simply take the topper off the circuit and run that off external power that would be an easier fix for me. I have read that some people hang toppers as wall art and power them with an AC adapter without a pinball machine.

Does anyone here know how to run a topper off an AC adapter?

thanks for your input!

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from drjeff112:

I read through this thread and im not sure about adding in the external power supply for the Color DMD. That looks complicated and the Color DMD by itself worked fine for months and I think adding in the new topper which also runs off the same circuit was just one too many mods and that blew the fuse.

they are simple to wire up, get a switching power supply and a lamp cord. wire the lamp cord to the "L" (line) and "N" ( neutral) on the PS you will have +12, +5, GRND, maybe -12. use the +12 , +5 and grnd for your dmd and the +12 and grnd for the topper, plug the lamp cord into the service plug in the cab. easy peasy.

1 year later
#29 6 years ago

Hello, I am now having this same issue on my Judge Dredd with ColorDMD, LCDOCD, and GIOCD. The new ColorDMDs only require 12V and 1A. I have bought an external 12v supply that I want to power it with, and have it on switched power. I would appreciate any guidance before splicing it in - which wires to splice into, which screws to wire under, etc. Any suggestions or is there a good resource online that outlines this? I know the older ColorDMDs were both 12v and 5v, but Randy says the new ones are only 12v.

Thank you for your time and consideration

For reference, link to 12v power supply: (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWUQH3E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00)

1 week later
#30 6 years ago
Quoted from nipper2u:

Hello, I am now having this same issue on my Judge Dredd with ColorDMD, LCDOCD, and GIOCD. The new ColorDMDs only require 12V and 1A. I have bought an external 12v supply that I want to power it with, and have it on switched power. I would appreciate any guidance before splicing it in - which wires to splice into, which screws to wire under, etc. Any suggestions or is there a good resource online that outlines this? I know the older ColorDMDs were both 12v and 5v, but Randy says the new ones are only 12v.
Thank you for your time and consideration
For reference, link to 12v power supply: (amazon.com link »

Search thread about color DMD in a gotlieb machine. Sorry so don't how to post the thread link. In that thread Pinsider way out explains the process on how to use an external power supply to power a color DMD.
This may help you. I'm also planning to do this in GNR and the getaway.

#31 6 years ago

Correction!!! Check thread about data east speaker noise , ideas for a cure.

3 months later
#32 6 years ago

I too have gotten a Color DMD (fantastic I might add!) and have the F116 (+12VDC) fuse occasionally blow. I'm a EE, so I can sort thru the schematics. But one question I haven't found an answer to is what is the typical +12V current draw on Judge Dredd (sorry, I know this is a IJ thread, thought I would ask anyway since I really didn't see a problem specific thread but this one is related) w/no mods? No intentions of ever putting anything but a 3A fuse in for F116, but what is the supply (including the transformer) rated for w/respect to current? What is the weakest link in the +12V unregulated supply? Transformer or diode bridge (that's the only 2 components that's really in there)? There is a 15,000uF cap to filter, I guess that could be lossy - has that ever been a problem? I guess worst case, I just buy a +12V, +5V supply and run the DMD off of that.

I didn't see any +12V mods added, maybe one is hiding somewhere... I guess I could buy a clamp on current probe and monitor on a scope for the peak currents.

Apologies for all the questions and slightly hijacking the thread!

#33 6 years ago

mbwalker - I wish I could answer your question but I am not sure how. I eventually replaced my power driver board with a Rottendog and my F116 fuse issue went away. Contrary to what I said above I have since added Pin Stadiums to my JD via an external power supply, but kept everything else on the new power driver board (ColorDMD, OCD boards, Pinsub board...).

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from nipper2u:

mbwalker - I wish I could answer your question but I am not sure how. I eventually replaced my power driver board with a Rottendog and my F116 fuse issue went away. Contrary to what I said above I have since added Pin Stadiums to my JD via an external power supply, but kept everything else on the new power driver board (ColorDMD, OCD boards, Pinsub board...).

Thanks Nip. I actually bought a clamp on DC current probe for a scope. I'll do some investigative work on my end when I get it. The probe will show current vs. time on a scope, ought to be interesting. The 12V (actually about 15V) remained rather solid even when everything was firing tho.

#35 6 years ago

My wpc95 Mediëval Castle going nuts after installing a color dmd.
When pushing both flippers buttons the opto's goes crazy (castle gate opens and balltrue fires softly).
After disconnect the lcd display everything works.

I have to say i have 4 flippers connected in my design , when pushed you see the gi lights blinking also.

So now i powerd the display with a pc power supply.
Al problems are history even the blinking from the gi.
Mods like Colordmd can stress your powersupply because the extra 12 volt needed if your 12 volt is not 100%.

4 months later
#36 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

amazon.com link »

I bought this but I am a bit confused about how to hook it up to the Color DMD. I understand that the existing gray wire is 5v and therefore goes to +V1, and the gray and yellow wire is 12V and goes to +V2, but to what is the black wire attached (one of the COMs?). Thanks for helping me to sort this out.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I bought this but I am a bit confused about how to hook it up to the Color DMD. I understand that the existing gray wire is 5v and therefore goes to +V1, and the gray and yellow wire is 12V and goes to +V2, but to what is the black wire attached (one of the COMs?). Thanks for helping me to sort this out.

Yes

#38 5 years ago

Here are some pictures of where mine is connected to the game. The way I have the power supply mounted it is a little tight to view well. The black and white with the connector in the first picture power the meanwell after the game switch so it turns off when the game is off.

152001D3-613A-485E-92DA-27019C480225 (resized).jpeg152001D3-613A-485E-92DA-27019C480225 (resized).jpeg56BF87B4-7B3D-4962-A894-33D68664F4BF (resized).jpeg56BF87B4-7B3D-4962-A894-33D68664F4BF (resized).jpeg62C29C6D-A497-4287-BC00-4A2CD41C3DF6 (resized).jpeg62C29C6D-A497-4287-BC00-4A2CD41C3DF6 (resized).jpeg

The reason why I have two wires off of V2 is because I ran one 12 volts to the topper and the colordmd.

#39 5 years ago
7B48D480-1711-408E-AEDA-F00FA0CDCFCD (resized).jpeg7B48D480-1711-408E-AEDA-F00FA0CDCFCD (resized).jpeg
#40 5 years ago

Thanks! I'll try hooking the existing black wire up to one of the COMs.

#41 5 years ago

Herg did most of the original install of the power supply for me for the ColorDMD, and then I decided to swap it out with a higher power supply and add the topper to it. I guess I did not adhere to the wire color schemes so sorry if that makes it a little more confusing. Yellow is the traditional color for 12 volts and red for 5 volts.

I believe the old/smaller supply was used to power a Pinsound (or probably/maybe the ColorDMD so the game would not be as taxed powering the Pinsound) in Jints56's GNR . The smaller supply was enough for a ColorDMD but was not enough for multiple items.

#42 5 years ago

Thanks for all of the info. I truly was not expecting pictures! All the best - Craig

#43 5 years ago

P.S. Thanks again. Installation was easy and flawless, and the fuse has stopped blowing.

1 month later
#44 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Here are some pictures of where mine is connected to the game. The way I have the power supply mounted it is a little tight to view well. The black and white with the connector in the first picture power the meanwell after the game switch so it turns off when the game is off.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
The reason why I have two wires off of V2 is because I ran one 12 volts to the topper and the colordmd.

Thanks DCFAN for these posts. Last night I added the switching power supply to my CFTBL. It was nice not to blow the F116 fuse for once.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

12,500 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 12.95
14,000 (OBO)
$ 1,419.00
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-going-crazy-color-dmd-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.