Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IJ_switch_matrix_(resized).png
#1 8 years ago

ok, I have run quite a few tests trying to figure out what is going on with my idol ball lock issue, and I think I have narrowed it down to one opto receiver not working. I replaced the receiver with a new one, and its still not working. I traced the wire to see if there were any breaks, but didnt see anything. Everything else in machine is working, all switches and optos. The idol test originally ran fine, but at times the idol would freak out and and the balls wouldnt release correctly and would have to reboot, so I figured it had to be an opto problem in the motor. I have exhausted my abilities to try to trace this, and ideas?

#2 8 years ago

It is part of your switch matrix, broken wire at another switch killing it ?

LTG : )

#3 8 years ago

Is that possible, never knew of such a thing! what should I even begin to look for in this case? I have no other switch problems anywhere else in the machine, and the idol switches are only active in the idol test, not the switch edge test.

#4 8 years ago

Use a digital camera or your cell phone camera to look to see if the transmitter opto is lit up. If not, replace it as it is on all the time and will eventually burn out.

Receiver is the black one. Typically, the transmitter is the clear or pink tinted one.

Using the switch test is the best way to confirm the pair is working, once you confirm the transmitter is on.

#5 8 years ago

transmitters fail more often than the receivers.

#6 8 years ago

Yes I replaced both and checked them on different locations, and they are both definitely working. I did happen to stumble onto something last night in the switch test, where some of the switches on the outlanes are activating several switches at once. I have a feeling this could be the issue perhaps?

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

Yes I replaced both and checked them on different locations, and they are both definitely working. I did happen to stumble onto something last night in the switch test, where some of the switches on the outlanes are activating several switches at once. I have a feeling this could be the issue perhaps?

Can be. Check all the switches in that column and row that has to do with the one switch to find what all switches are not working in the switch test.

Then according to the switch matrix, you may find a broken wire to one of them.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

I had a similar problem with the out lanes activating more than one switch and it turned out to be a shorted switch under the 'Path of Adventure' mini playfield. I found the shorted switch by putting the machine in switch test and manually triggering switches and found one not activating under the mini playfield and was shorting out. Once I un shorted it all the other switches then just activated singularly.

#9 8 years ago

Ok, I have been doing some testing on this. I have set my dmm to diode test and noticed a bunch of diodes beeping at me, so assuming they are no good. Could something touching or shorted cause the diodes to go bad?

#10 8 years ago

Also, could one bad diode cause the others to show they are bad on the dmm diode test?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

what should I even begin to look for in this case

Your manual, the same row and column the non working switch is on, check the same color wires on the switch before or after it.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

I have set my dmm to diode test and noticed a bunch of diodes beeping at me, so assuming they are no good.

You can't check them in circuit, you'd have to remove them. And they aren't your problem.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Can be. Check all the switches in that column and row that has to do with the one switch to find what all switches are not working in the switch test.
Then according to the switch matrix, you may find a broken wire to one of them.

Quoted from LTG:

Your manual, the same row and column the non working switch is on, check the same color wires on the switch before or after it.

Definitely your starting point.

As you are looking for broken wires, look at the diodes on the switches to see if they are damaged or smashed against metal just as tdunbar had mentioned as well.

Quoted from tdunbar:

I had a similar problem with the out lanes activating more than one switch and it turned out to be a shorted switch under the 'Path of Adventure' mini playfield. I found the shorted switch by putting the machine in switch test and manually triggering switches and found one not activating under the mini playfield and was shorting out. Once I un shorted it all the other switches then just activated singularly.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

As you are looking for broken wires,

Broken wires. Please forget diodes, not what you have going on.

#15 8 years ago

forensicd, please take note if you see "ground row short (1)...(7)" while testing switches in the switch test, let us know.

#16 8 years ago

im not sure what that means. Here is what has been found so far. Everything seems to be associated with the top row of the matrix and the far left row. I am getting the lower right outlane switch activating 3 switches all at once, as well as the left outlane activating 2 switches. I having been pouring through the machine trying to figure it all out. When i tried to tackle this, I was just trying to figure out why I wasnt getting power to the opto receiver, as the transmitter is working.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

I am getting the lower right outlane switch activating 3 switches all at once, as well as the left outlane activating 2 switches.

This is a switch matrix issue. Switch wired wrong, diode on backwards, or a short to switch wiring.

#18 8 years ago

ok, so whats the best way to tackle thism because it seems like a ton of funny stuff is happening here. Should I put the dmm away? (even though its pretty useless in my hands!)

#19 8 years ago

also, to add on here, some of the switches, like in the upper playfield, will register at times in the switch edge test, but then stop registering. Would all of this be caused by a short?

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

some of the switches, like in the upper playfield, will register at times in the switch edge test, but then stop registering.

If they work in test but fail in game play, they are flaky, replace them.

Quoted from forensicd:

ok, so whats the best way to tackle thism because it seems like a ton of funny stuff is happening here. Should I put the dmm away?

Learn your games switch wiring. Every switch should be wired the same was. White wire ( and what ever color stripe ) and black end of diode there, green wire ( and what ever color stripe ) there, silver band end of the diode there.

Quoted from forensicd:

Should I put the dmm away? (even though its pretty useless in my hands!)

Youtube is littered with short how to videos. Time to learn, though you don't need it to look if your switches are all wired right.

#21 8 years ago

There is an idol test that actually tests out all the opto positions. Run it a couple of passes and report the results.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

I replaced the receiver with a new one, and its still not working.

What switch # or switch name of the one that you replaced?

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

Here is what has been found so far. Everything seems to be associated with the top row of the matrix and the far left row. I am getting the lower right outlane switch activating 3 switches all at once, as well as the left outlane activating 2 switches.

Would you mind typing out the switch numbers for clarity? You mentioned top row and then far left row. Not sure if you actually meant far left column (instead of row).

IJ_switch_matrix_(resized).pngIJ_switch_matrix_(resized).png

#24 8 years ago

ok, heres where I am at. The trough switches have stopped registering, all of them, so this leads me to believe the optic board may be going bad? I assume this would cause the optic receiver to not get any power and stop registering, but its the only one of all the motor optos that is not working, all other transmitters and receivers in the motor work correctly. As far as the switches, both switch 16 and 18 are both triggering switch 41, the left ramp enter optic. Prior to the troughs not working, switch 18, right outlane top, was triggering 3 switches, switch 81 trough 6 as well as switch 18 and 41.

#25 8 years ago

Original IJ trough opto boards are famous for cracked solder connections and broken opto leads. Replacement boards have rubber gromets at the screw mounting points.

#26 8 years ago

Yea, I replaced some when I had a STTNG, so I know they can be flakey, but it seems like all of them went out at once, so not sure if thats the case or not. This one definitely has me puzzled.

#27 8 years ago

Could the opto 5 opto board in the top left under the playfield be the cause of all the problems? I hate to buy a new one if it is still operating, because some of the optos attached still work, the ones in the motor except the one receiver, but the trough optos are all non functioning.

#28 8 years ago

Can you swap the trough opto boards with your Shadow and see if that solves the trough problem?

#29 8 years ago

i started to and realized they were different, had different number of connectors.

#30 8 years ago

Oh yeah, IJ is 6 ball and Shadow is 5 ball. After looking around a bit the only ones that interchange with IJ are Demolition Man, Indiana Jones, Judge Dredd, Popeye Saves The Earth & Star Trek - The Next Generation.

I would pull out the trough opto boards and inspect the solder connections. It could be a cracked solder connection at 1 of the header pins that supplies power. You have other problems too, but I would see if that's what the trough problems are.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from pincredible:

transmitters fail more often than the receivers.

this is true try changing out transmitter,try testing it place a business card in between that opto
and see if it registers

1 week later
#32 8 years ago

Ok, swapped out the trough optics, those are working now perfectly. Heres where I am at. The game will boot up fine, go into idol test and works perfect, all switches working now throughout the game exactly as they should. Then during the game, when you get a multiball from the center drops and lock the balls, all is workng fine until you start locking balls again in the center scoop during multiball, then something goes awry. the idol gets off somehow. After this you can no longer play the game as the idol gets off, where the front gate to the idol will open, but the ball is not there, the idol legs are in between the gate opening, so no ball comes out. Then after this, i go into test mode and says check the idol motor/switches. When i do this, it comes up as all working perfectly. So, somewhere in between getting multiball and adding more balls to the idol lock, something is amiss. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know because I am going insane with this thing.

#33 8 years ago

Go back into the switch test. Does the idol exit ramp switch record when you roll a ball over it? If not, that is the issue. It will need to be adjusted just as mine needed to be.

#34 7 years ago

Any luck adjusting the idol exit ramp switch? I had to remove this exit ramp in order to adjust mine.

#35 7 years ago

Finally got it all figured out! I replaced the optic board under the playfield at the top left, where the motor optos went into, and all is working perfectly now! Thanks all!

#36 7 years ago

Was not expecting that. In any case, enjoy your game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
12,500 (OBO)
$ 85.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 12.95
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-1-opto-receiver-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.