Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 152 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ghetoprobe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should the Pinside have an "ignore user" feature?”

• Yes 130 votes
      68%
    • No 60 votes
      32%

(190 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Ray_(aka)_Scrambled_Play-n_MB.jpg
    ignore-feat-6.jpg
    ignore-feat-5.jpg
    ignore-feat-4.jpg
    ignore-feat-3.jpg
    ignore-feat-2.jpg
    ignore-feat-1.jpg
    Boot_in_AZZZ.JPG
    Boot_in_AZZZ.JPG
    Obama.jpg
    tiltwarninghowto.gif
    infoz.jpg
    no_no.gif

There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #102 11 years ago

I like all of what you said, except your first sentence. When you start a position with that introduction, it nearly negates everything that is said next.

Why start with an attack on Robin or whoever else has tried to come up with an improvement?

All else that you said proves your point fairly well...

#103 11 years ago

No offense intended to anyone, I guess it would have been more appropriate at the end there…LOL. I kinda type right off the top of my head, just like I would say it face to face…but if you knew my personality that statement would have not been taken as an attack, more like a “think about it logically from the users stand point”, rather it would have brought a smile…unless your all PC…then you may not be face to face anyway!

#104 11 years ago

Honestly I think the "auto-collapse all posts by ______ user" mentioned earlier would be a much better solution, because sometimes there may be a shred of useful information spewed out by a user who normally isn't the greatest contributor, and it's that shred of information that i want to read. The "auto collapse all posts by ______ user" feature would permit this and I feel would be much more useful.

#105 11 years ago

I find trolls to be similar to a sore tooth. When the pain actually goes away, your tongue for some unknown reason will move over and seek it out, renewing the pain. I am the same way with trolls; if the post is there (because of no "ignore user" function), I might just go ahead and read it against my better judgement and get pissed off! In the absence of draconian rules which ban users really fast for bad behavior, I'd rather at least have "ignore user".

As more and more people come over to Pinside from RGP, the bad apples who only thrive on unmoderated forums are not going to want to be left behind. Unfortunately that means Pinside might have to be a little more vigilant in getting rid of users or maybe temporary bans like a "time out" for a little kid.

John

#106 11 years ago
    Quoted from robbiev:

No offense intended to anyone,

That was what I kind of guessed...that was why I TRIED to gently make MY point. Regardless, I apologize for indicating an attack. My recollection is that you have been a good poster and I should have taken that in to account.

My bad.

#107 11 years ago

I'd like to be able to ignore that old "Bowel [V] Movement."

Well, yes the two Pinsiders above perfectly illustrate why this system would be a good idea
    -- Jayhawkai and BVM you guys can stop now, the point is made.

Jayhawkai is a Cool Guy , I've Never heard him give ANYONE Here no Beef till Now ,, That BVM guy was an AZZ !! Jay steered me to my IJ near DC and saved me $ 1K.. Yr Cool w/ me bro !!

Thanxx for Ending BVM Robin .... Who's Next ?

Boot_in_AZZZ.JPGBoot_in_AZZZ.JPG

#108 11 years ago

Just a FANTASTIC picture, B R!!!

#110 11 years ago

BR should be made the official enforcer on the site. When you do wrong you get BR warnings and if you go too far you get the black rose boot, right where the sun don’t shine.

3 weeks later
    #111 11 years ago

bumpage. Just wondering if this feature will come to fruition. I realize robin is "on leave" so i don't know why i'm bumping it now...

#112 11 years ago

I Personally Don't have Anyone that I Want to Ignore ,, It's All Cool !!

#113 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Just wondering if this feature will come to fruition.

I sure hope so. I need to block a few people before I go over the edge .

Jim

#114 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I Personally Don't have Anyone that I Want to Ignore ,, It's All Cool !!

#115 11 years ago

Based on comments and poll results, seems like it gets back to the point about how much time is required for Robin to implement the ignore-user feature. If it would require a lot of time, then just put this idea on the back burner for now. If it doesn't take much time to implement, then go for it Robin.
    Generally for us users, more choices = more control = good.
    However, I wonder if the more complex the site becomes also eventually equates to the more things that can go wrong. Often times, keeping things simple is good design.

I understand this thread is to help Robin to decide if it is worth it or not to implement this feature, and all the very good comments definitely will help Robin decide. It sounds like if the feature is implemented, that most will not use it, eventhough more than half vote that they would like to have this ignore-user feature.

#116 11 years ago

The ignore user feature works fine on RGPArchive. Yes, you can see the person's posts if they're quoted by others. This is not really a zOMG deal breaker like some are describing. The signal-to-noise ratio still improves greatly because a lot of the time people don't bother to respond to or quote the troll directly anyway. Instead of seeing every post by that person, you might see one in five.

3 weeks later
    #117 11 years ago

Any new info on the Ignore User Feature? Sure would have been handy for a couple of guys today.

#118 11 years ago

Yes please.

Moderators can't be everywhere, and they certainly can't anticipate which posts will annoy people. This very thread is proof of that fact.

#119 11 years ago

I already ignore users.

#120 11 years ago

2 or 3000 members Here on Pinside now ,, The Ignore Will be a useless Feature for me ..

Maybe 8 mths ago I would've Used it ,, but The Terds have backed OFF !!!!!!!!

Boot_in_AZZZ.JPGBoot_in_AZZZ.JPG

#121 11 years ago

I'll vote yes. If you dont want to use it then cool but I probably wouldn't mind ignoring the few who pop up and bring the tone right down, disagreeing just to get attention.
    And to the developers - thanks for asking!

#122 11 years ago

Today I have launched the Ignore User feature on the Pinside. Reading over all your input on this I knew I wanted it to be low-key, subtle and effective.

The ignore link is a very subtle link in the post meta bar:

ignore-feat-1.jpgignore-feat-1.jpg

Click the ignore link if you want to start ignoring a certain user, in this case that nasty bully Robin who never has anything useful to say and only gets on my nerves:

ignore-feat-2.jpgignore-feat-2.jpg

Confirm the ignore dialog:

ignore-feat-3.jpgignore-feat-3.jpg

All posts by Robin are now ignored:

ignore-feat-4.jpgignore-feat-4.jpg

At the top of every topic page you can manage the users you are ignoring (and stop ignoring someone if you changed your mind):

ignore-feat-5.jpgignore-feat-5.jpg

If someone quotes a user that you have ignored, the quote will also show "ignored":

ignore-feat-6.jpgignore-feat-6.jpg

Some things to note
    - This is really a personal preference, use it as you wish or don't use it at all!
    - If you ignore a user, nothing actually happens or changes on the site
    - Ignoring a user simply mutes that ignored user's posts on your display
    - No one will know if and who you are ignoring
    - Ignores are stored in your Pinside account preferences, logging in to another computer will apply the same ignores

#123 11 years ago

I don't know how i missed this thread.

Quoted from davewtf:

Great, now nobody will be reading my posts!

Quoted from NimblePin:

Well if that's true Dave, then I'm pretty much guaranteed an audience with the crickets! (Or, have possibly moved in with the Bottom Boys...)
    Nice knowing you guys!

Welcome! Welcome!

Been contemplating changing my username to FLOUNDER, not as a reference to animal house, but as an admission of bottom dwelling! Maybe, one of you could join me as HALIBUT.

Quoted from johnwartjr:

I would suggest removing the tilt warning, and not adding an 'ignore' feature.
    I can manually ignore whomever I like. If I don't like a particular users posts, I'm a grown up, I ignore them.
    The tilt warnings are often abused. I unhide the posts, and see that there was no real reason to hide most of them. How about offering something where I can tell it that I don't want to hide any posts, if other users find the 'hide posts' to be useful?

Got to agree with John and the others like-minded. It is about maturity and personal responsibility, two personal characteristics that seem to be in ever decreasing supply.

Robin, I think you have shown sound judgment in the past and may be more in touch with what is effective in today's workings. Much of the nonsense that motivated the tilt warning seems to have minimized itself. Is it a spurious correlation, I do not know. So, history has shown that you have a good sense of what works here, and if it makes your life easier, than it is a good thing.

It would be interesting to know the age breakdown of those who voted.

I do not think that it will be used by people who enjoy going at each other, for the battle is their payoff.

I have to admit that there was a recent post humorizing the physical abuse of women that made me so angry that I will probably use the feature to spare myself the frustration of needing to recognize in the future the existence of the particular offensive miscreant who posted it.

Dan

#124 11 years ago

Well done. Nice to have the option. Thank you.

#126 11 years ago

Did somebody say something?

JK.

Nice job Robin--best implementation of this feature I've seen yet (confirmation box is spot-on to avoid accidental ignores).

#127 11 years ago

Great, thanks!

#128 11 years ago

Thanks! Some of the people i wanted to ignore have "retired" but I'm not complaining!

#129 11 years ago

good work Robin!

#130 11 years ago

Thanks robin. Having the quoted text from an ignored user not show is a great addition to the basic type of ignore seen in other forums.

#131 11 years ago

I think this is a useful feature but I don't think it is a substitute for moderation. Some people engage in personal attacks when confronted with others' opinions they don't agree with. I think that should be unacceptable. Everybody should be entitled to express themselves without fearing that some kind of cyber lynch mob is going to attack them if they say something unpopular. I see this feature being mostly used by those who would do the personal attacking, and it might reduce the signal-to-noise ratio online, but I still think it's important to impose some base levels of mutual respect for fellow users.

#132 11 years ago

Awesome! Thanks!

#133 11 years ago

Sweet! Now I can ignore that train guy

#134 11 years ago

Sweet freedom from bluevegas FINALLY!

#135 11 years ago

Thanks robin. Having the quoted text from an ignored user not show is a great addition to the basic type of ignore seen in other forums.

Well if it Isn't abcdelmrs (Aka-- Scrambled from the Bash ) Play-n MB

Didn't know you Were Here..

Ray_(aka)_Scrambled_Play-n_MB.jpgRay_(aka)_Scrambled_Play-n_MB.jpg

#136 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sweet freedom from bluevegas FINALLY!

I know, that guy is a dick

#137 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

I think this is a useful feature but I don't think it is a substitute for moderation.

Darn, and I was hoping I could take a nice long vacation ...

#138 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

... but I still think it's important to impose some base levels of mutual respect for fellow users.

I couldn't agree more.

#139 11 years ago

I noticed one bug, I can't put myself on ignore.

This feature really doesn't work, on RGPArchive it is pretty useless.
    I like the B_R Blue Boot, just get rid of the trolls as they pop up and there is nobody to ignore ergo no quotes etc.
    RGP basically has 3, I noticed FF had carpet bombed every thread last night AGAIN so I just closed the page AGAIN.

#140 11 years ago

Thanks for your continued efforts to improve what I believe to be the best site on the web Robin!

#141 11 years ago

Not bashing any particular Pinsider, just making a comment that some may appreciate going fwd w/ this new "ignore user" feature.
    Although one big reason for this feature is to be able to ignore the jerks that like to "stir the pot" and get people fired up, another possible good use is to be able to filter out much of the non-technical posts in some of the more technical type threads.
    Some people who post are funny and/or enthusiastic about pinball, but are not very technical in nature. Since there is so much activity on this forum (which is a good thing), some Pinsiders may want to ignore certain users simply in order to cut down on the number of posts to read through. In this case the users being ignored are probably very nice people, but often do not add to the problem solving or other technical explanations.
    And per Robin, you can manage who you are ignoring and later stop ignoring someone if you decide to change that at some point.
    Thanks Robin for making this site so user friendly!

#142 11 years ago

I think it's going to be horrible, and is going to drag down pinside...BUT it's everyone's right.

The ACDC 10 raters are going to get blocked by people that take ratings seriously.
    JJP Cheerleaders are going to get ignored by Stern blowers who will also get ignored by JJP.
    The price police will ignore and be ignored by price cheerleaders.
    The A listers & "my data east is the best game ever" crowd will do away with each other.
    Game "X" owners will block "Game X sucks! I have to post this every time I see a thread aboot game X."

And on & on & on until we whittle everyone out of our lives and we only see the 3 dipsh@*s who think just like we do. How boring.

Just kidding...it should be fine but I was just thinking worst case scenario.

#143 11 years ago

Thanks Robin! Shields deployed...

7 months later
    #144 11 years ago

I wanted to bump this for any new pinsiders. I have been blocking alot of people recently and find my enjoyment factor of this site has gone up.

2 months later
    #145 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I wanted to bump this for any new pinsiders. I have been blocking alot of people recently and find my enjoyment factor of this site has gone up.

I'm hoping this works for me too.

7 years later
    #146 3 years ago

Sorry if it's obvious, or if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but is there a way to view a single "ignored user comment"? It seems a blocked user has said something that actually adds to the conversation. I'd like to view that single comment as there's no context in the conversation to what the person said. Or, at the very least, can I see which user made the comment so I may temporarily unblock them?

Thanks in advance!

#147 3 years ago

Just log out temporarily.

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from ghetoprobe:

but is there a way to view a single "ignored user comment"

Copy the link directly to a post number. Open a private browser window and paste it in. Post appears, with ignored user quoted. If you’re on iOS you can long press on the link and “open in new private window” in Firefox.

#149 3 years ago

Perfect, appreciate the help! Thank you both.

#150 3 years ago

Yup, or you could even right click the #postnumber link above the ignored post and select "open link in Incognito window" (Chrome) or "open link in new private window" (Firefox).
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ignore-user-feature/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.