Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 152 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ghetoprobe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should the Pinside have an "ignore user" feature?”

• Yes 130 votes
      68%
    • No 60 votes
      32%

(190 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Ray_(aka)_Scrambled_Play-n_MB.jpg
    ignore-feat-6.jpg
    ignore-feat-5.jpg
    ignore-feat-4.jpg
    ignore-feat-3.jpg
    ignore-feat-2.jpg
    ignore-feat-1.jpg
    Boot_in_AZZZ.JPG
    Boot_in_AZZZ.JPG
    Obama.jpg
    tiltwarninghowto.gif
    infoz.jpg
    no_no.gif

There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from BVM:

I'd like to be able to ignore that old "Bowel [V] Movement."

Grow up & stop talking out of your a$$ - Excuse the pun.

You're one of the people this thread is aimed at.

+1

but thanks for reminding me. i need to take a dump. i've been holding it in all morning.

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

I want the feedom to read whatever is posted ...

You would not lose this freedom if the ignore feature was implemented. It would be entirely up to you weather or not you decide to ignore someone.

#53 11 years ago

I don't like it. Would it block out a new thread created by that person as well? Freedom of speech is what made America great. This is only one small step in stopping it. What's next? Blocking articles in newspapers with opposing views? Blocking the pictures of people you don't like to look at. You also have the freedom to ignore. I think that's what people need to do. Just ignore the people and stuff you don't like. My two cents.
    Jim

#54 11 years ago

yeah I get that gwee...i guess its more of, having controls on top of controls on top of sytems on top of systems...nothing will ever be perfect....you guys will be tweaking this forever.

#55 11 years ago

Hey,

Without getting too far into rhetoric and the technical end of things, if it's an easy change, then yes, I'm all for it. Robin, if there are other things that you would rather work on, I don't blame you, but if I could just click a button and not have to see certain people's posts ever again, I wouldn't complain.

Luke

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

I don't like it. Would it block out a new thread created by that person as well? Freedom of speech is what made America great. This is only one small step in stopping it. What's next? Blocking articles in newspapers with opposing views? Blocking the pictures of people you don't like to look at. You also have the freedom to ignore. I think that's what people need to do. Just ignore the people and stuff you don't like. My two cents.
    Jim

Is this an argument for the ignore feature or against it?

#57 11 years ago

I just voted. After reading this thread I think Robin should spend his valuable time adding positives to the site.

#58 11 years ago

It's funny how some think of it as a negative and some think of it as a positive. I think anything added to make it better in any way shape of form is a positive.

#59 11 years ago

In my eyes, it simply would give members yet another tool to customize and improve their overall Pinside experience. I don't see how it can possibly be seen as a bad or "negative" thing. If someone doesn't want to use the feature, they can simply ignore it (no pun intended).

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

If someone doesn't want to use the feature, they can simply ignore it (no pun intended).

Ignore the ignore! Yup.

#61 11 years ago

I voted yes, but I'd personally never use it. Other people may find it useful, so I'm all for it.

I've been on RGP for years and seen many people (good AND bad) come and go. There are a few people over there who can be quite abrasive and childish at times, but I've never kill-filed anyone. I don't let those things bother me.

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

BackFlipper said:I don't like it. Would it block out a new thread created by that person as well? Freedom of speech is what made America great. This is only one small step in stopping it. What's next? Blocking articles in newspapers with opposing views? Blocking the pictures of people you don't like to look at. You also have the freedom to ignore. I think that's what people need to do. Just ignore the people and stuff you don't like. My two cents.
    Jim
    Is this an argument for the ignore feature or against it?

I meant just "don't read those people you don't like." I am against the feature, but not in any strong way.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #64 11 years ago

Tilt option already somewhat works for ignoring people. So does the amazing feature of "scrolling passed someone's post". I foresee some folks ignoring to the point of only talking to themselves.

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from VegasAlleycat:

I suspect that many of us that voted yes will never use it ...

I voted yes despite the fact that I will never be able to take advantage of the feature. Unfortunately for us moderators, we don't have the luxury of ignoring people that drive us insane.

#66 11 years ago

I think moderators should be able to "ghost ban" people, where their posts show up for them, but no one else can see/interact with them. Then the trolls would get bored and leave!

#67 11 years ago

I don't think everybody understands that ignoring a user doesn't mean it blocks the post for everybody else to read. Ignoring a user only blocks it out for you. Therefore, if someone creates a thread and is ignored by one user, all other users can still read the thread. It sounds like a great feature to have, just in case. If you personally don't use it, you won't see any changes. Just like the tilt option, I have it turned off because I also was unhiding every tilted post because it made me curious. Again, tilt is a great idea, but again, it doesn't change my experience because I don't use it. Thanks again Robin, I wish I had the intelligence to pull a website off like this.

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from pzy:

Then the trolls would get bored and leave!

If you don't react to troll comments, they will get bored and leave anyway. People like this feed off the attention, and if you just ignore them (whether it is a feature or not), they will go away.

#69 11 years ago

I vote to implement the system. Since it's our choice to use it I can't see how it can be any form of censorship. If I choose to not watch "Jerry Springer" well, where's the censorship in that? I probably wouldn't use it and I think the percentage that will is small. So I don't think its worth hours of work to get done but there's nothing wrong with it and it would be an asset to the site.

#70 11 years ago

I vote yes! Can I block myself if I get out of line?

#72 11 years ago
    Quoted from TavaLee:

I vote to implement the system. Since it's our choice to use it I can't see how it can be any form of censorship. If I choose to not watch "Jerry Springer" well, where's the censorship in that? I probably wouldn't use it and I think the percentage that will is small. So I don't think its worth hours of work to get done but there's nothing wrong with it and it would be an asset to the site.

You are watching Jerry Springer. You are choosing to block Jerry while you watch all the other guests. The show won't be quite as entertaining.

#74 11 years ago

I really like the idea of being able to block and or unblock a user. (not that I will ever use it)
    I also like the idea of collapsing text kinda like the over tilt action does.
    As for productive features High score place sounds very cool.
    Robin when you have time... maybe next year =-) can you look at fixing the filter for the marketplace.
    I search by location and they are split into 3 groups across all posts it doesn't seem that the filter works very well at least not for that function.

Thanks again for your time

#77 11 years ago

So far it's 69 for, and 25 against. With nearly 100 votes cast, that's more than a 2/3 majority in favor of it.

#79 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Sorry!...couldn't resist!

Nor could I ...

#80 11 years ago

Bastid!

no_no.gifno_no.gif

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

the account has been deactivated.

Well we have known about this for a while...should we have told you sooner? With this kind of attention to detail I thought I would chime in...I have no idea how many users you moderate here (care to help me out?), but this seems dedicated, I have moderated before, a thankless job usually. With your level of dedication - I'll say this - I don't like reading chopped threads. And if people quote someone you are ignoring it is still there, ala RGP. You said in an earlier post it was something you wanted to get away from, I mean the RGP killfile stuff and chopped threads. I agree and think this ignore feature is unnecessary, as long as you provide moderation at the level you are now. If your time is finite and it is this "feature" or something else, I say go for something else, don't waste your time on an RGP killfile feature that won't really work. My 2 cents have now been contributed . And hey, great job on the site, it is truly the cream of the crop for internet forums on any subject, you know I am a member of several

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

You said in an earlier post it was something you wanted to get away from, I mean the RGP killfile stuff and chopped threads. I agree and think this ignore feature is unnecessary, as long as you provide moderation at the level you are now.

I agree that an ignore feature isn't as important on a moderated forum as it is on an anything goes newsgroup such as RGP, but it would still be a nice feature to have for the people that choose to use it.

#83 11 years ago

I used to spend around 2 hours per day maintaining the Pinside, but recently the site has exploded and now needs way more time then I can put in (and by that I specifically mean monitoring rating reviews etc).

That's the main reason why I'm working on all sorts of features that allow user moderation. Using the large number of visitors to help moderate the site, that would be ideal. Hence the introduction of the TILT feature and possibly the "Was this rating comment useful? Yes/No" feature which I talked about earlier.

But building these is only one thing, these new features also need time to settle. The community must get used to them, and I must tweak them (TILT is a good example, it is currently not being used what it was intended for, meaning I need to tweak it some more).

And sometimes thing just don't work as I intended, a good example being post ratings. This will need simplifying as it is currently to complicated. I'm working on these things!

The ignore feature which i started this thread for is another idea, but I'm not sure if I'm wanna put a lot of time in it just yet. I'm not confident that it will solve the problem (people fighting eachother publicly) and maybe I should leave this to the moderators who are doing a stellar job keeping these issues to a minimum.

Today I worked on something way more fun, see if you guys can spot the latest small addition to the site

#84 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Today I worked on something way more fun, see if you guys can spot the latest small addition to the site

The dancing women on the front page! Thanks Robin, I know that's just for me and I'm the only one that can see them.

#85 11 years ago

looks like you put in how many days ago a rating was made?!@@?

#86 11 years ago

"Show Topics With No Replies" or am I just seeing that?

OH SNAP! There is a "ignore" "moderate" "pinside" at the top of the page!

How does it work?

Opppps, those are the thread tags, I'm gonna shut up now...

#87 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

"Show Topics With No Replies" or am I just seeing that?
    OH SNAP! There is a "ignore" "moderate" "pinside" at the top of the page!
    How does it work?

Those are just tags to aid searching.

#88 11 years ago

Yea, I just figured that out and edited my post, thanks.

#89 11 years ago

I Voted for No , You Ignore the Person , and you stumble on a post , and there He , She or Shim is and their Post is Ignored , You Will Un-ignore just to see what they said .. What's the Point !!

Been there and Done that on another Forum .. Try it tho , see how it Work's for PPl here..

Will the Member have a Icon beside their Name show-n how many Ignorer's thay have ?

That Would be embarrassing !!

#90 11 years ago

I voted yes but would now like to be counted in the 'no' pool.

#91 11 years ago

I like a thumbs up and down system that allows the Op to see who gave him either. The thumbs up/ down attached to their karma points.

#92 11 years ago
    Quoted from Marten:

Somebody else suggested this before but I think it would be good to be able to see which user(s)
    tilted a post. This would expose the 'tilt trolls'.

That is an *excellent* idea!!

Robin, this seems like it would be fairly easy to implement and would make a huge difference. Is this something you would consider?

#93 11 years ago

RobT said:Did you see that your post got a stupid "Tilt" warning!?
    Yeah, my first Tilt! Not sure what I said though that was tilt-worthy. Certainly nothing intended to offend anyone...

Some people are handing out tilt warnings to benign posts to "prove" that it doesn't work. If I can suggest to Robin to remove the red color as it makes most of this ridiculously dumb dumb activity stick out like a sore thumb.

And why is it that frothing free speech enthusiasts don't do a little reading?

infoz.jpginfoz.jpg tiltwarninghowto.giftiltwarninghowto.gif

#94 11 years ago

I can see both sides of this one. One would hope that trolls would pretty much immediately lose their posting ability if not their log-in too. On the other hand the moderators could use the number of people that a given user has ignoring them as a way to profile the people who should possibly be banned.

As for the tilt thing, I would rather just see a filter that simply does not allow you to post foul language. We have that on the Florida Pinball Forum. Post a bad word and it gets changed to something like "daisy". Replacing the rating system and tilt with a "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" choice would do away with the tilt trolls who are looking for a way to disagree anonymously with a post.

John

#95 11 years ago

I'd rather vote for Robin to spend more of his free time playing pinball or possibly fill Pinside with even deeper/richer content that runs hand in hand with a fairly smooth; friendly user interface. I can daisy censor my own daisy posts...

#96 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Noticed this earlier, great addition Robin! http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-scores-added-to-pin-pages

#97 11 years ago

I would suggest removing the tilt warning, and not adding an 'ignore' feature.
    I can manually ignore whomever I like. If I don't like a particular users posts, I'm a grown up, I ignore them.
    The tilt warnings are often abused. I unhide the posts, and see that there was no real reason to hide most of them. How about offering something where I can tell it that I don't want to hide any posts, if other users find the 'hide posts' to be useful?

I Agree w/ that 100% !! Thing's could be worse.. It's a Smooth Ride @ Pinside

Obama.jpgObama.jpg

#98 11 years ago

Found it! Events! No more "Are you attending x?" threads. Awesome! Also, looks like the ratings have been turned off.

#99 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I Agree w/ that 100% !! Thing's could be worse.. It's a Smooth ride @ Pinside

true!

#100 11 years ago

Does a barking dog annoy you if you are not there to hear it?
    I like the option. Unfortunately as a Moderator I won't be able to use it. But I sometimes use it on other forums.

There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ignore-user-feature/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.