Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 152 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ghetoprobe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should the Pinside have an "ignore user" feature?”

• Yes 130 votes
      68%
    • No 60 votes
      32%

(190 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Ray_(aka)_Scrambled_Play-n_MB.jpg
    ignore-feat-6.jpg
    ignore-feat-5.jpg
    ignore-feat-4.jpg
    ignore-feat-3.jpg
    ignore-feat-2.jpg
    ignore-feat-1.jpg
    Boot_in_AZZZ.JPG
    Boot_in_AZZZ.JPG
    Obama.jpg
    tiltwarninghowto.gif
    infoz.jpg
    no_no.gif

There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 11 years ago

This was suggested to me multiple times and I would like to throw it out here and see what the community thinks.

Should the Pinside forums have an "ignore user" feature?

It is no secret that there are some folks here who just don't get along. Would it be handy if they simply could ignore each other and no longer see each others posts? This would avoid the fights that can sometimes derail topics.

Example:
    So let's say I don't want to see Martijn's posts anymore (haha). I would click on "ignore Martijn" and I will no longer see his posts. Everyone else will still see Martijn's posts and no one will know that I am ignoring him. He won't even know that himself. His posts simply won't appear on my screen anymore.

Will this feature improve the site, or will it spoil the atmosphere?

Poll is open!

EDIT: This feature has now been implemented. See this post!

Post edited by robin : Changed poll options to only Yes/No

#2 11 years ago

Hello Robin

I can see the concern. I don't think at this time we should start blocking people. One issue is the person speaking does not see the other persons comments and just makes boards hard to read. The other is people will treat this like they do our newly added tilt feature. If that happens it sounds like a nightmare to me. Just my two cents obv. your site so yours to decide in the end.

Thanks for a great community of pinball players and collectors.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #4 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I don't think at this time we should start blocking people.

This is not the same as blocking people. I have added an example to my post, to clarify the idea.

#5 11 years ago

I'd like to be able to ignore that old "Bowel [V] Movement."

#7 11 years ago

Ok so Robin on second thought I think the two users above want to block each other. I changed my mind you should absolutely let them.

BVM is this your tilt my every post friend?

#9 11 years ago

Well, yes the two Pinsiders above perfectly illustrate why this system would be a good idea
    -- Jayhawkai and BVM you guys can stop now, the point is made.

#10 11 years ago

I think this is a good feature to add Robin but wonder if the "blocked" users comments would still show up when others post and quote them.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

I think this is a good feature to add Robin but wonder if the "blocked" users comments would still show up when others post and quote them.

Good point. Unfortunately they will.

#12 11 years ago

I use this feature at a couple other sites and it really improves it IMO. With the abuse the tilt warning is getting letting people just ignore those they feel necessary to tilt may stop that and let it be used as it was intended.

#13 11 years ago

Sounds like a great idea to me. I'm not quite at the point that I want to ignore anyone, but I'm sure someone's at the point that they'd want to ignore me!

Can you put one on my girlfriend so I can ignore her at the right times?

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

Can you put one on my girlfriend so I can ignore her at the right times? []

Great! My wife will get mad at me for what She thinks I am Thinking,maybe She Knows I am right!
    I voted yes on this but, I can see were this could cause the blocker to be confused as to what has been said .

#15 11 years ago

Eh.....
    Seems like most people have this choice built into their heads.
    Don't like someone, don't read their posts.

#16 11 years ago

I think many of the trouble makers here will not use it. They like the drama. They are not going to hide the drama from them selves. It should be called the troll extinguisher because that's what it will be good for. The guys that have some class will block the trolls and move on the trolls will all continue to sword fight among them selves.

#17 11 years ago

I voted yes. Question: Would this be per thread or for every post made by user X site wide? I ask this because in some threads some of the post made by user X are good and in other threads they are not.

#18 11 years ago

In my opinion trolls don't deserve to post here in the first place. Why band-aid the problem?

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

Question: Would this be per thread or for every post made by user X site wide?

When you choose to ignore a Pinsider, that means you won't see any of his posts or topics ever again (unless you un-ignore him).

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

jrrdw said:Question: Would this be per thread or for every post made by user X site wide?
    When you choose to ignore a Pinsider, that means you won't see any of his posts or topics ever again (unless you un-ignore him).

Perfect.

#21 11 years ago

I do not like the idea only because I, at times, say funny off-topic things that can probably get taken the wrong way by someone, but I feel that I contribute mostly helpful content. This could affect the way that some threads look to these people.

What about auto-collapsing posts by certain users? That way you can still choose to read them if you want.

I, personally, would not use this feature at all.

--Scott

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I, personally, would not use this feature at all.

So be it. The feature can still be implemented.

Just because it's there to use, it doesn't mean it has to be used.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from BVM:

Just because it's there to use, it doesn't mean it has to be used.

Correct, but some people may use it and miss out on information. But honestly, I guess if they block people, that's not my problem.

--Scott

#24 11 years ago

BVM said:Just because it's there to use, it doesn't mean it has to be used.
    Correct, but some people may use it and miss out on information. But honestly, I guess if they block people, that's not my problem.
    --Scott

Let them do what they please.

It's sure no skin off my nose.

#25 11 years ago

I hate to admit it but, I would like to ignore certain folks at times.

#26 11 years ago

But honestly, I guess if they block people, that's not my problem.
    --Scott

Exactly! Myself, I would only ignore someone who consistently posted inflammatory remarks and provided no good info. Others may not be as judicious with who they ignore, but that's their problem.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

I hate to admit it but, I would like to ignore certain folks at times.

That's the problem with just straight up blocking people. You want to ignore some people "at times". That is not a possibility with the proposed solution.

--Scott

#28 11 years ago

Retired Pinsider? Did BVM just turn 65?

#29 11 years ago

The Pinside account 'BVM' appeared to be a duplicate account (of a previously banned member). This was brought to my attention today and since that's against the site rules the account has been deactivated.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

The Pinside account 'BVM' appeared to be a duplicate account (of a previously banned member). This was brought to my attention today and since that's against the site rules the account has been deactivated.

Superb!

Glad to know you are there to review these issues, even though it shouldn't be something you should have to do. You do enough here.

Time appreciated Robin.

#31 11 years ago

Hmm...
    27 yes
    9 no

I'm currently not convinced that the Pinside needs this.

What about auto-collapsing posts by certain users? That way you can still choose to read them if you want.

That would be optional.

#32 11 years ago

I'm for the ignore feature. I came to Pinside so I would'nt have to read constant posts from specific jerks at RGP (I think one of them is blocked here) and because of the spam over there. I love your system of registering with donation to block the spam.

Nice work Robin....thank you.

#33 11 years ago

I would not block any1 myself but im sure some people would block other people. I dont expect everyone to be on the same page and I do like hearing every1 op. A very diverse group is what makes this forum great. Yea sometimes there some un necessary arguments but that does not affect me. So Robin if you want to give the power of blocking I think you should limit it to 3 per person. If you need to block more than 3 people then maybe "your the problem". I also think you should give the option to the "blocker" to let the "blocked" know why they have blocked them. Maybe it would make this person change there "forum attitude" if they see that a large number of people are blocking them. You can also let the blocked person know how many people are blocking them and maybe show it in there profile "Being blocked by X # of people" And maybe on the flip side let people know how many people some1 is blocking in there profile if there is no limit to the amount of people you can block. Just trying to give some ideas

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I'm currently not convinced that the Pinside needs this.

Give this poll 24 hours and I'm sure you'll have your answer...

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

#36 11 years ago

I think it's a great idea, Robin.

Thank you for all of the work you do here. It really is incredible.

I'm sure you have major headaches at times, and I hope this is still a worthwhile venture for you even through the not-so-fun experiences!

#37 11 years ago

Great, now nobody will be reading my posts!

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

On the contrary, I love your posts!

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Well if that's true Dave, then I'm pretty much guaranteed an audience with the crickets! (Or, have possibly moved in with the Bottom Boys...)

Nice knowing you guys!

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Sweet victory...

#41 11 years ago

Don't do it, Robin- no censorship!

Then again, it would make your life and that of the moderators somewhat easier, if you don't have to deal with the threads when they get really nasty...

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from Fearless_Leader:

Don't do it, Robin- no censorship!

I'm confused, that's not censorship - is it? If user A decides not to see any posts by user B anymore? Then that's user A's choice right? No harm done to anyone? Or am I missing something?

Quoted from Fearless_Leader:

Then again, it would make your life and that of the moderators somewhat easier, if you don't have to deal with the threads when they get really nasty...

Yeah, well that was indeed the point of this question. I'm a bit tired of having to jump between two people having a beef. So I wondered, wouldn't it be easy if these people could simply ignore each other.

However, in retrospect I'm not sure I want to waste my dev time on a "negative" feature like this. I'd much rather work on a positive new addition to the site, like the new high scores section or on the ratings formula tweaks. Or on Pinside shops. Or ......

#43 11 years ago

I happen to think the ability to ignore another user would be an excellent feature. It would not only encourage people to think more about their posts before saying something stupid, but it would also let people filter out those who contribute nothing positive to the site. I do, however, have some suggestions. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to code this stuff, but here are my thoughts:

When you decide to ignore someone, you should have a choice between having all their posts completely disappear, or simply auto-hiding them similar to the way tilt warnings currently work. If you choose to auto-hide, you will still when an ignored user posts something, but you will have to click on it if you want to read it. I also think that if you are ignoring someone, if anybody quotes them, the quote should be hidden as well. For example:

#44 11 years ago

Time can be spent better elsewhere IMHO.

Thanks for everything you do. It is really nice to be part of a forum with an active developer than is looking to always improve stuff.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Time can be spent better elsewhere IMHO.

+1

Go ahead, block me if you don't agree!

#46 11 years ago

Needs to happen, awesome feature to have but isn't required for anyone to use unless they get tired of skipping over the same troll's posts.

#47 11 years ago

I would suggest removing the tilt warning, and not adding an 'ignore' feature.

I can manually ignore whomever I like. If I don't like a particular users posts, I'm a grown up, I ignore them.

The tilt warnings are often abused. I unhide the posts, and see that there was no real reason to hide most of them. How about offering something where I can tell it that I don't want to hide any posts, if other users find the 'hide posts' to be useful?

#49 11 years ago

I voted Yes, then read the thread. The one user I would probably ignore is now gone. I still think to have it as a feature would be helpful. You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ignore-user-feature and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.