Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jlm33
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

enhanced-buzz-30925-1357667439-0_(resized).jpg
    pasted_image_(resized).png
    burn_(resized).png
    bunny-pancake_(resized).jpg
    maxresdefault_(resized).jpg
    dog_hair_(resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Cross posting my thought from another thread...

I've got a Pinside feature request. We need a top 20 Most Infamous Pinsiders list. These are the pinsiders that most others have ignored, along with a count how many users have ignored them. Then there could be a configuration option that everyone could just turn on "Ignore most infamous users".
    Most likely you wouldn't have to ban anyone, they'd just go away because no one would be reading their posts.
    Of course, there'll be a bunch of cry babies on here saying it's unfair to "out" how many ignores someone has received. Fine, the feature can still work. Just remove the list. Pinside can keep the people on the list hidden, and can manage a fully ranked list, top 100 or even top 1000. Then the user can have a configuration option choosing how many of the top infamous users they want ignored. "I want # top infamous users ignored."
    Problem solved...

Yes, you can individually ignore people now, but for new users or recently new like myself, it's way too much of a burden to learn about them all on your own. This feature short cuts all the work.

This was a response to

Quoted from davewtf:

My personal opinion is that a ban of the top 1% of problem children would result in 99% of the drama going away. It's always the same people causing problems, it seems. It then spreads to others who wouldn't normally react.
    I am not lobbying for the above, however. I am neutral.

#2 8 years ago

So... a Pinside Purge button?

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

So... a Pinside Purge button?

Only if there is a binge button for fairness and balance.

#4 8 years ago

Is it really that stressful to read something you don't agree with?

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

Some people tend to get riled up more easily than others. For those people, ignore lists are a godsend.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

It's not about the stress, it's about the time wasting reading garbage. It's also about a friendlier environment for new comers.

I don't care that much, just had the thought in relation to the other thread.

But, why would anyone argue this feature shouldn't be implemented? It can only be useful to those who want it. If you don't, don't use it.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Only if there is a binge button for fairness and balance.

Ha, that's good. Yes, for fairness add the inverted feature, "I only want to read messages from the X most infamous users". Might be fun for entertainment...

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Yes, you can individually ignore people now, but for new users or recently new like myself, it's way too much of a burden to learn about them all on your own. This feature short cuts all the work.

To implement a feature like this, one needs to generate a "Top infamous Users" list. Even if not public, one could deduce it from the ignored users posts.

Public shaming is not a good idea.

Individual ignore feature works fine. Draining threads helps as well.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Even if not public, one could deduce it from the "ignored posts.

Huh? Please "deduce" a list for me, I'd like to try it...

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Some people tend to get riled up more easily than others

maxresdefault_(resized).jpgmaxresdefault_(resized).jpg

#11 8 years ago

RobT, leave o-din's body please

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Huh? Please "deduce" a list for me, I'd like to try it...

We're not in the habit of singling out other members. If you don't wish to read the responses posted by someone, we leave it up to you to hit the ignore button. It's what the feature is there for.

If you feel a particular post is being disruptive or breaking the rules, we encourage you to report that post or open a moderator feedback thread so it can be addressed.

#13 8 years ago

I always find it funny when people use the 'wasting my time' arguement on people's comments. You are on the internet reading about toys, one clearly has very little precious time for the important things.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

RobT, leave o-din's body please

He's only here in spirit now.

#15 8 years ago

While we are at censoring Pinside, maybe we can add a button to ban price police in FS threads. :0

#16 8 years ago

It seems like the suggestion is to shame people into being goodie 2 shoes.

Reminds me of this scene from Scarface
    -You need people like me so you can point your fingers and say: "that's the bad guy"
    Say goodbye to the bad guy

Don't click on this link if bad words offend you.

#17 8 years ago

What problem? You think when people sign up here they should be helped to arbitrarily ignore 20 people? Wait and see what those 20 people do when you put them on a conveniently accessible ignore list.

It's the internet. Welcome to it. Embrace the awesome. If you were ignoring me you wouldn't be able to see this awesome picture.

dog_hair_(resized).pngdog_hair_(resized).png

#18 8 years ago

Man - when did people turn into such sensitive little weenies?

#19 8 years ago

just ignore them yourself, the tool is there for you, no need to make it a big ordeal

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I always find it funny when people use the 'wasting my time' arguement on people's comments. You are on the internet reading about toys, one clearly has very little precious time for the important things.

Yeah, but I want to waste my time more selectively

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

It seems like the suggestion is to shame people into being goodie 2 shoes.

Nope, already addressed that presumption...

Quoted from HighVoltage:

Of course, there'll be a bunch of cry babies on here saying it's unfair to "out" how many ignores someone has received. Fine, the feature can still work. Just remove the list. Pinside can keep the people on the list hidden ...

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

just ignore them yourself, the tool is there for you, no need to make it a big ordeal

Already addressed that too, it's difficult for someone new here to figure out who they need to ignore...

For the record, I've got nobody ignored. But I'd like to have the feature to turn it on for the occasions I don't want to slog through nonsense.

A similar feature on a thread might be "show only posts with at least +1" thumbs up... that might have a similar effect.

#23 8 years ago

IBTL

#24 8 years ago

Can someone who has a large ignore list, PM me a copy? Is there an easy way to turn your full list on and off, depending on your mood?

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

For the record, I've got nobody ignored. But I'd like to have the feature to turn it on for the occasions I don't want to slog through nonsense.

This is not rocket science.

As soon as you find yourself surrounded by nonsense, stop slogging. Click the header and find another thread to read, or just go do something else. Really, it's that easy. Ignore lists are for people with no self-control.

#26 8 years ago

I don't have people on the ignore list. Heck, on RGP I even read the FF posts. Is it annoying? For the most part yes. But everyone does have opinions and ideas. Just because you don't like them most of the time does not mean something of value doesn't pop out or make you think once and a while.

I admit there are people who I don't like on many levels from previous posts. When I see their names I sometimes cringe. But every once and a while they say something so "right" I begrudgingly take that mouse and give them a thumbs up.

#27 8 years ago

bunny-pancake_(resized).jpgbunny-pancake_(resized).jpg

#28 8 years ago

New users should learn how to use the website properly before trying to get it changed around to suit their needs.
    New users should also be the ones NOT ALLOWED to block anyone...they should have to go through all the pain and shit the old folks have.

Fucking newbs, right?

#29 8 years ago

I gotta keep this thread going a while longer. I've almost deduced my ignore list...

#30 8 years ago

I realize I made a mistake, all we need is the public list of infamous users, and then people can pick and choose who they ignore!

#31 8 years ago

Shhhh... now we get out our notepad, and scribble down who thumbs down!

#32 8 years ago

Just go to any manufacturer forum and start reading. Ignore list will grow fast.

#33 8 years ago

If your that serious and what to make a list based on other people opinions. I would start by seeing if a filter can be applied to find users with a thumbs up / down ratio below 50%. If someone is disagreed with more than agreed with something is wrong and they are probably trolling to get a rise out of people and are not contributing in other ways.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Just go to any manufacturer forum and start reading. Ignore list will grow fast.

Or if you need a break from the drama go to an EM Tech thread. Never any controversy there.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

So, you just want to burn them all before you can decide for yourself.

burn_(resized).pngburn_(resized).png

#36 8 years ago

I'm thinking one of the users that used to argue the most has put me on ignore and life has been more pleasant ever since.

#37 8 years ago

Um, yeah, the whole internet could use this feature. Or humanity in general. But in reality, you will just have to deal.

#38 8 years ago

I'm not a fan of ignoring anyone permanently so I don't use the feature. If there was an option where I could turn my ignore list on or off, I'd probably start using it.

It really doesn't bother me enough that I'd limit myself to certain threads, but I have the sense there's often not the greatest vibe to new folks, and even been deactivations by people that I'm disappointed to see leave.

When people were reminiscing about how pinside used to be a much friendlier place in the other thread, I just had this thought as an aside. I didn't come here this morning on a crusade.

I do think it's funny how some posts were thumbs downed, you guys kind of outed yourselves...

#39 8 years ago

Honestly, the only feature I care about is getting animated GIFs back.... I have nothing to post in threads such as these without them

#40 8 years ago

LOL, all those folks went back and removed their thumbs down...

#41 8 years ago

based on this post you'd have a high probability of winding up on your own list...

#42 8 years ago

One person's "banned" poster is another person's Favorite poster!

BTW......I have ZERO people banned. I graduated to "big-boy" pants some time ago and can ignore individual posts anytime I choose.

Take Kanada for example......I find "some" of his post VERY enlightening and well thought out.......others not so much, but I can just glance over those and choose to ignore them.....or possibly thumbs down them.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

based on this post you'd have a high probability of winding up on your own list...

I thought I'd see what's it like on the other side and engage in some shenanigans...

#44 8 years ago

Biggest issue with auto ignore is that threads will start to read like listening to a cell phone as you drive through many valleys in a row...

How do,,,,,,

I replace,,,

,,,,,last ball

,,,,,slam switch,,,

,,,Kenada,,,,

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Honestly, the only feature I care about is getting animated GIFs back.... I have nothing to post in threads such as these without them

lol, since gif's have been removed I am probably ignored less.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Um, yeah, the whole internet could use this feature. Or humanity in general. But in reality, you will just have to deal.

I'd like to put Sara Palin on my ignore list.

#47 8 years ago

Why not just get rid of all nontechnical sub forums?
    Then get the moderators to remove all posts that do not address the original question

Pinside will be a wasteland by the end of the week

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I don't care that much

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

This is a good idea.

How do we do this with the Kardashians, Kate Gosselin, the Aflac duck and the Progressive Insurance girl.

#50 8 years ago

enhanced-buzz-30925-1357667439-0_(resized).jpgenhanced-buzz-30925-1357667439-0_(resized).jpg

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ignore-top-x-infamous-users and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.