Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RipleYYY
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Contact-Page.jpg
    Score-Page.jpg
    Admin-Page.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xerico.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 9 years ago

After running events in the DFW area over the past 7 years, I have learned five "truths" about tournaments in the DFW Area. These "truths" are simply for events outside of a large show or expo. The large shows & expo are a different animal since the captive audience is always willing to give it one or two tries.

#1. Everyone wants a prize for winning their group. The prize must be cash or trophy. The preference is both.
    #2. Nobody is willing to gamble a single large entry fee. Even though a player may spend $50 attempting to qualify, these same players will balk at a $30 or $40 entry fee. They prefer to nickle and dime their way to $50.
    #3. Players want to compete against their own skill set.
    #4. Players have zero interest in funding prize money for an event that seems beyond their grasp.
    #5. If it is not convenient, most will not travel for events, regardless of the prize or the cost.

Hopefully this year, I'll run a few free IFPA events at Nickelrama on weekday nights and see if that gets the local excited.

Marcus

#44 9 years ago

Just a reminder that IFPA requires that the event be open to everyone. If you exclude "ranked" players, your event will not earn WPPR points.

And if your event does not earn WPPR points, then the "D" league never gets a chance to accumulate points.

While it may be a tough love approach, I still believe in playing with better players. "Steel sharpens Steel".

Very few burst onto the scene and establish themselves as "A" players. Dues are normally paid to get to the "A" level.

Marcus

#93 9 years ago

Another option for online scoring software is www.pinballtourneys.com You can use this system for free. Robert Harris and his team have done an excellent job with this site.

So if you have internet access, consider using this software.

It is the tournament software for Texas Pinball Festival, Houston Arcade & Pinball Expo and any event that I run.

Marcus

#97 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I went to the website and dont see anything about using it or how to use it? Am I just not seeing it?

From the website, "Do you have an upcoming pinball tournament? Use the Contact Us page with details and we can get back to you on adding you to our schedule."

It's very simple to use.

The admin login gives you access to set up screen.

Admin PageAdmin Page

From this screen, you can create a tournament, add players, add machines, correct scores.

The staff login gives you access to the score keeping screen.

Score PageScore Page

These screens are designed with tablets and smartphones in mind.

It really is easy to use.

Marcus

#100 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I do not see any of what you are showing when I go to the website????
    I am very confused?
    I assume I need to contact them with details and then they add my event?
    Then I get an admin password for player and score entry?

Yes. Exactly as you said.

Here are the summarized steps.

1. Contact Them via their website. Provide them Date & Name of Event.
    2. They contact you with an event link, admin login info & scorekeeper login info.
    3. Use the admin password for tournament settings, management and configuration.
    4. Use the scorekeeper password for adding players and scores.

Marcus

#108 9 years ago
    Quoted from funtimewithdave:

http://pinballtourneys.com/ContactUs.php
    The "From" field wants an email, not a name. Hopefully i am the only one that couldnt figure that out This tool would be amazing if i can use it on my phone during the tournament. So much better than writing down scores then HAVING TO DO FRIGGEN MATH.

The "Contact Us" page has been updated to make it easier to use.

PinballTourneys.com Contact PagePinballTourneys.com Contact Page

Marcus

#111 9 years ago

The Texas Pinball Festival Tournament page is now live.

http://texaspinball.com/tpf/tournaments/

Changes for 2015 include:

Notification System -- No longer will we be paging players over the PA. Players will now be notified via a notification system.

Five qualifying events -- Unlike last year where a player HAD to play in the four side events in order to have a realistic shot at making the main event, this year we are making each event an individual tournament. Now you can decide if you want to focus on 1, 2, 3, 4 or even 5 events during the TPF. Each event will be identical in qualification and playoff format. So a full entry into any event can be accomplished for $15.

More WPPR Points -- In 2014, the TPF Side Events were worth only 7 points for the winner. This year, the winner has an opportunity to win an estimated 52 points! Based on the Stockholm Open in 2014, another event that awarded 52 points to the winner, players in the top 16 (our A Division) earned a minimum of 16.75 WPPR Points. In WPPR v5.0,that is the same as winning a 32 player tournament graded at 100%. 2nd place is estimated to earn 43 points. 3rd place will earn 38 points. 4th place will earn 34 points. And these points are only for one event. Finish in the top 16 in all 5 events, and a player can earn a minimum of 83.75 points. That's CRAZY!!

Friday & Saturday Qualification -- In order to accommodate new IFPA rules regarding tournaments, the Friday Qualification period and the Saturday Qualification period will be independent of each other. Players will still earn points as they did in previous TPF events, but this year, we are adding automatic qualifiers. In each event, the top 5 qualifiers will earn entry into the playoffs as a top 10 participant. The top 3 on Friday and the top 3 non-qualified on Saturday will win trophies for their achievements!

Winning it all -- This year, a player will have to go undefeated in order to win the event.

Qualification matters! -- Finishing in the top 2 of any event catapults a player directly to the final 4! Finishing in the top 4 puts you in the top 8. Finishing in the top 10 will put you in the top 16! So qualifying matters in 2015!

Zero to Hero -- For the first time ever in TPF history, the worst seed now has a chance to win the entire event! It will be tough, and Cinderella will have to defeat 9 straight opponents, but the opportunity is there!

More Playoff Participants -- In 2014, 24 players made the playoffs in the side tournaments. In 2015, 40 players will make the playoffs in each event. All players begin in the "A" division. As players advance further into the playoff rounds, they will be entered into the "B" &"C" playoffs should they lose before making it to the top 16.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xerico.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa?tu=xerico and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.