Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RipleYYY
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Contact-Page.jpg
    Score-Page.jpg
    Admin-Page.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

But that is the problem. You aren't getting the best at the tournament in the finals. You are getting a couple of the best and then some lucky people with a bank roll.
    I myself am not that great of a player as I'm not as consistent as I could be with blow out games. I can blow up a game periodically though but the problem is I don't have the bank roll to spend to pay until I blow the game up just to get into a bracket to where my average score would be competitive.
    It's a major deterrent to me even wanting to compete anymore at these types of tournaments as it's so frustrating to be on the sidelines watching people that qualified when they are putting up scores well below what my average score is on a particular machine.

If everyone just gets one shot, we'll see more "lucky people" qualifying than we do now (based on the principle that if you had to play a match against, say, Bowen, you would stand a better chance to win a one game match rather than a best of seven). But your argument is that if people get many attempts, then we'll also see too many "lucky people".

What are you proposing exactly?

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinlynx:

That was my graph. It'd be a bit of work to recreate it, but I do have the stats breakdown. The amounts are approximate as I can not account for any free entries that were given out to volunteers.
    Main Event
    Of the 16 qualifiers, the average amount of entries was 43.8125 at an approximate cost of $146 per player. The high amount was 109 plays (~$363) and the low was 25 plays (~$83).
    Classics
    Of the 8 qualifiers, the average amount of entries was 30 at an approximate cost of $100 per player. The high amount was 45 plays (~$150) and the low was 16 plays (~$53).

This goes against the argument that pump and dump exclusively rewards players with money. The top 16 at Southern Fried last year was almost exclusively elite players: http://www.ifpapinball.com/view_tournament.php?t=871#results

And it sounds like it took them a fair number of entries to qualify.

I'm not psyched about pump and dump because I'm not a top player, so I don't like the idea of having to buy a ton of entries for something that I have no shot at anyway. But I know that if I only buy one entry (while others have many), I truly have *no* shot. When everyone has a limited number of tries, I've got a better change.

I'd put up $100 to play at a poker table with top pros...*if everyone was putting up $100*. But I wouldn't sit down with $100 when those same guys had $1000. And I wouldn't pay $1000 to sit at that table either because it's just throwing money away.

If we're trying to get things to grow and be more friendly to newbies, why not have only the A division be pump and dump, while the B, C, D, etc. are a different format (with IFPA ranking based restrictions regarding who can compete)? I also like the idea of a division that is restricted to people who have never played in an IFPA event previously.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Isn't that what D is for? If not, I totally agree. then once your ranking is high enough, you must play in a higher league.

I've heard this mentioned somewhere, but thought maybe it only happened at the papa finals - which I think is a little silly because why would you be at the highest event in pinball if you've never played in a tournament before.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

While it may be a tough love approach, I still believe in playing with better players. "Steel sharpens Steel".

Agreed...but I'm literally only talking about their very first tournament.

Quoted from Xerico:

Just a reminder that IFPA requires that the event be open to everyone. If you exclude "ranked" players, your event will not earn WPPR points.

Good point. This could easily be changed if it helps entice new players. Or, it's okay if they don't get points - but it might be more encouraging if they did.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa?tu=ryanwanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.