Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RipleYYY
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Contact-Page.jpg
    Score-Page.jpg
    Admin-Page.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lmcdonald111.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Interesting thoughts were presented about IFPA qualifying and quality of players

In open qualifying someone who invest more money can qualify easier because they are more likely to have a good game. Is this acceptable?

Does it make the player a lesser player for paying more or are they simply playing within the confines of the event?

What are good qualifying statistics?

#7 9 years ago

Thanks stangbat

And everyone else who has posted and will post.
    Thank you for your thoughts and your time.
    Whether we agree or not your contribution is very appreciated .

My own experience
    I don't mind playing more. I don't mind paying more. You can bear that out.
    Frankly even if I qualify to start with I'm OCD about being higher because our area has great players.

I kept pretty good mental notes on things during a year long quest to get a good IFPA world ranking
    I spent a lot of money and a lot of time.
    I started seeing the law of diminishing returns.
    By that I mean a couple things
    1. Money and time spent including travel vs IFPA point values earned = points per $
    2. The more you play does not equal better scores.
    There is wear and tear on your body, eyes and mind. An Example that comes to mind is Texas ( I'm sure I've done the same in KC ) there was a game I needed just a half decent score to be in A. But try as I may I coukd not achieve the score I wanted so my OCD sets in and I toss 15 plays at the machine with it laughing at me.
    Pretty much if I haven't got the desired mark in 4 games 90% of the time I never reached it.
    The other plays are me giving my money to someone.

Can some one buy a ranking?
    They still have to play
    They still have to beat people or bench marks.
    Does that mean they are as good as a Top 50 player?
    No
    No
    No
    There is a clear skill set deference. Right?
    Heck all you have to do is watch a great player then look critically at your own game.
    I love Twight Zone. I'm a Billion plus player. I watched 2 people put more than 2 Billion up. Yes in my mind they are twice as good as me. I stopped playing it for weeks.

I've always been an above average player with flashes of possibilities.

Im proof that A good player who is willing to invest considerably in time and money can get a good IFPA ranking I got to 271 in a year. I played all the time. I spent lots of money in people's establishments. I missed out on time I could have spent with my wife.

I think as long as you are playing by the rules then life is good. Live and let live.
    As soon as we start becoming judgemental people we become a different society.
    One that's exclusive and alienating , clickish and mean spirited.
    We defeat the FUN in pinball and life.

#9 9 years ago

Nice addition.

I like the risk reward !

#13 9 years ago

I disagree ,stangbat.
    Regardless the cream will rise to the top. Always has.

If there is a concern then ,the buy more but it replaces your other score good or bad is a great option.
    That's a much better option than allowing people to speak poorly of those that follow the current IFPA guidelines.

You to have the power as an organizer to set the mood in your events and in turn effect the attitude of your community.

#15 9 years ago

I disagree that you think you can buy into an event.
    At least I have not been able to.

If you disagree with the rules you are the organizer , change the rules.
    Lobby IFPA to change the rules.

Yes, people will find something to complain about even thought they could buy as many entries as they want. It a double standard.

I like the suggested change listed above.

If your implications were regarding my play then I'm sure you'll be happy that my Tourament play is over for the most part. I spent my year as I planned and yesterday was my last event.

#75 9 years ago

A way to go thru the lines quicker is allow a player to play 2 or 3 games on the machine.
    That eliminates the travel time from the waiting area to the machines and could increase the total number of play

#77 9 years ago

Took me much longer in Texas, Louisville and Chicago.
    You must have really really long legs

Time to be called
    Time to get up
    Time towalk from the waiting area
    Time to get ready

I think you would be surprised how many more plays there really could be

Marcus, how many more plays do you think TEXAS pin fest could get?

#80 9 years ago

Add
    The wait for a score keeper.
    All things equal time.

Must have been the times I played in Louisville because there was time wasted.
    More in Chicago about the same in Texas depending on when I played

#87 9 years ago

85vett
    Agreed.

That only enforces the fact of wasted time.

#106 9 years ago

I believe IFPA , Marcus at TPF and others listen to our feedback.
    I hope the future continues to evolve in a positive fashion.

#110 9 years ago

Looking forward to you rocking Vegas Phil !
    Congrats.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lmcdonald111.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa?tu=lmcdonald111 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.