Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RipleYYY
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Contact-Page.jpg
    Score-Page.jpg
    Admin-Page.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harmon1728.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 9 years ago

The open qualifying is totally a financial thing. Its a way to boost the prize pot or donation. Now, those people who "buy" there way in quickly find out they don't belong in the playoffs. This summer my girlfriend used a total of 10 tickets (we had 4 games in the main and one in classics) to qualify for our 74 person tournament. It was pretty crazy. This is not the normal. There are people near the top of the IFPA standings that can come in and play about one game and get in. That's just how it is. There was a graph for the Southern Fried Gaming Expo showing how much each player used to get in. I don't know where it is though. Maybe someone else can dig it up.

I don't feel bad when I have to use more tickets. I don't play as much big tournaments as some of theses guys and need to adjust to the playing conditions.

If you don't like this format. Run a tournament where you only get 3 chances on each machine (or less). This method worked great at a tournament in Cleveland.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

After running events in the DFW area over the past 7 years, I have learned five "truths" about tournaments in the DFW Area. These "truths" are simply for events outside of a large show or expo. The large shows & expo are a different animal since the captive audience is always willing to give it one or two tries.
    #1. Everyone wants a prize for winning their group. The prize must be cash or trophy. The preference is both.
    #2. Nobody is willing to gamble a single large entry fee. Even though a player may spend $50 attempting to qualify, these same players will balk at a $30 or $40 entry fee. They prefer to nickle and dime their way to $50.
    #3. Players want to compete against their own skill set.
    #4. Players have zero interest in funding prize money for an event that seems beyond their grasp.
    #5. If it is not convenient, most will not travel for events, regardless of the prize or the cost.
    Hopefully this year, I'll run a few free IFPA events at Nickelrama on weekday nights and see if that gets the local excited.
    Marcus

Dang... That sucks! We had about 70 people at our event in the middle of nowhere Michigan... and it was completely for charity. We had people driving from Jackson, Saginaw and Grand Rapids. Some were driving from 3 hours away. Now with the new WPPR format, we are thinking we will get over 100 for the National Baby Food Festival Open (yes that's really what it's called) this year. I just can't believe it takes all that just to get people out to an event in Texas.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harmon1728.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa?tu=harmon1728 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.