Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RipleYYY
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Contact-Page.jpg
    Score-Page.jpg
    Admin-Page.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Has anyone here ever played in IFPA approved tourney (gave out points) that was free?

You're kidding right?

I ran many tournaments last year in Dallas area that were free, including a league, and IFPA qualified.

Less than 50% of our local player/collector community bothered to show up.

#28 9 years ago

I'm with you on that one, Vett....problem is I can't even think about running those kinds of tournaments around here because nobody except for me, Marcus, Ken, my wife, and two or three other people will even THINK about showing up...because they know they have substantially close to zero chance. Even if it's a FREE tournament. It's absolutely ludicrous. I've never seen a group of people that say they're into something, then don't participate in it at all, unless they're effectively handed a lottery ticket to winning, or it's tied to free food etc...

Our two biggest tournaments that we ran last year? Labor Day at Nickelrama (Herb), and the Christmas party/potluck at my house (swiss). Go figure that both were potluck. I don't even have that many games, it's not like my collection is a massive draw. Case in point that NOBODY unexpected showed up to a single league night that I ran, even several people that had supposedly committed at the start never showed to a single league night over what....6 or 7 months?

Point is, novices/casuals/non-competes like herb BECAUSE they can have that breakout game and qualify, even if it's in a "B" division. They know that they're most likely going to get blown out in the finals, but that's beyond the point apparently. In match play, they stand almost no chance against highly consistent players. I'm pretty sure I can say that nobody outside of the "core" competitive group in Dallas area has any interest in actually improving their play at this point. They do not care about IFPA, they will never care about IFPA, and it being "free" is only a deterrent to people showing up because there's no prize other than WPPRS.

If I run any events this year, at all....they will not be free if they are IFPA at all.... End of story. =|

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Hopefully this year, I'll run a few free IFPA events at Nickelrama on weekday nights and see if that gets the local excited.

Good luck. You know I'll try and get there, ESPECIALLY if it's on a tuesday or wednesday.

At least I learned most of this in a year and a half. If I could find a way to do cheap trophies, I would've done it at least for league, but with no entry fees at all....there's just no way until I get a better paying job I'm going to front 70-100 bucks on awards. I'm happy to donate my time (or Jennifer's time LMAO) running things, but money is money, and I have bills to pay.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from harmon1728:

I just can't believe it takes all that just to get people out to an event in Texas.

It doesn't. Just in DALLAS.

They had THREE people show up at Nickelrama in Garland for one of the charity tournaments, if I'm not mistaken? I was at work.

*Edit* Oursler fundraiser... five people. 2 tourney players, 3 casuals (Though Sam is showing up to more and more..).

Python fundraiser was nearly HALF the people that showed up were from out of area...

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Collin does an amazing job putting these on. There is another guy that's done a few nice ones too, I just don't know the group well enough to recall his name.

Likely Brian Dols. I think he runs most of the stuff at Buffalo Billiards.

It was a lot of fun having most of the Austin guys up here for State last weekend. I'll actually be down there um.....what is it ..not this weekend but the next one. As far as pinball goes, I'd much rather be in Austin...but my job is here, my condo is here, so.....screwed.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Yeah, that's him. Those two do an amazing job putting things together in a way that include as many people/skill sets as possible.

All I know is he took me out in 2014 SCS 1st round, lol.

He doesn't ever travel up here for tourneys, and I've only run into him one other time, at the 2013 Garage Gauntlet. Was pretty funny to have a second crack at him after losing to him in the GG, but I blew it bigtime last year at Pinballz. Only game I did even remotely good on was Centaur.

#101 9 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

Is there a chance of getting it to process queues like Karl's software? The way Karl's software works is it keeps track of virtual "lines" for each machine and lists the names of people queued for a machine on the screen. Once you finish your game, you tell the scorekeeper what game you want to get in "line" for next.
    Saves a lot of space and kills the worst part of the tournament, the DMV-like lines

I -probably- wouldn't expect anything like this anytime soon on this one.

Robert and Marcus got me set up on this system, and I've been using it to run a few of our larger local tournaments over the last 8 months. It's been really nice to use, and basically allows me and/or my wife to run a 20-30 person tourney without a whole lot of issues. As stated, it's capable of handling way more than that, though.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.