Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RipleYYY
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Contact-Page.jpg
    Score-Page.jpg
    Admin-Page.jpg
    There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

A good alternative which I haven't seen implemented is for the organizer to put a cap on the number of entries per person, say 5 games per machine, or 25 entries in a 5 machine bank.

That is a GREAT idea!

Maybe we can try something like that out for our upcoming event. Maybe 21 entires max in a 7 game bank?

That would allow people to arrive early and get some extra play if they choose to but also prevent excessive score upping and allow some to arrive a little later and still get games in on the entire bank.

thinking out loud > Could always start off with 14 entries max and then up it if you get fewer people arriving than planned/anticipated and people have blown through all entires with still time left during qualifying.

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

That is a GREAT idea!
    Maybe we can try something like that out for our upcoming event. Maybe 21 entires max in a 7 game bank?
    That would allow people to arrive early and get some extra play if they choose to but also prevent excessive score upping and allow some to arrive a little later and still get games in on the entire bank.
    thinking out loud > Could always start off with 14 entries max and then up it if you get fewer people arriving than planned/anticipated and people have blown through all entires with still time left during qualifying.

Agreed and I love that idea too.

Be careful with adding more entries after the tournament started. Nothing irks people more than the rules changing halfway through the game especially if you are qualified after the 14 entries then get knocked out when the entries is upped later on.

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Agreed and I love that idea too.
    Be careful with adding more entries after the tournament started. Nothing irks people more than the rules changing halfway through the game especially if you are qualified after the 14 entries then get knocked out when the entries is upped later on.

for sure! would need to have it all laid out in advance.

I would write something into the rules that says 'by X time, if over 25% of the field has played all 14 entires then the entry limit will be automatically expanded to a new cap of 21 max entries."

I am not sure of what the exact times/threshold would work, but the idea would be to keep it fun and not stagnat the event in the case where only 20 people show up (when expecting 40) and they all come early and have played all 14 entires by 2pm, but the event is scheduled to run till 5pm.

We have had the flip side where really good players will show up pretty late in the day for a PaD style event and then be aggravated to not get through all games more than once (or not even once). We need a better way to find a balance where these players are incentivized to come a bit earlier.

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

That is a GREAT idea!

Any time you limit your entries, you're also limiting your prize pool. The bigger the payouts and the further down you pay, the more players you'll attract. (all other things being equal)

The number of games in the qualifying bank, the games selected to use and the setup on the games is extremely important in a Herb tourney. Rather than 7 games and only 21 entries, why not have a 10 or 12 bank of qulifying games setup hard and unlimited entries? Best 5 game scores make up your score (100-95-90-89, etc). Software is out there to easily do this.

Adding more divisions isn't practical. PAPA is the exception, not the rule. Tournament directors don't want to keep track of 3 or 4 different tourneys at the same time. For years, the best execution of a Herb style tourney has been CAX IMO. The casual division is run differently than the A division and every year they get a huge turnout with big payouts for both divisions. I don't recall all the rules for casual division, but one rule isn't you can't be in novice if you've ever won money in a tournament. That cuts out all the A players quick. And novice player CAN qualify for A division if they play well enough. EVERYONE GETS POINTS. That part is huge. All the games are setup tough there. You won't find a Spidey with closed outlanes and the middle post in place. If you use long playing games not setup properly, you will get lines. Use enough games properly setup and lines will stay short.

The NW tourney and INDISC use similar formats. These three tournments have among the biggest turnouts and payouts every year. If you're considering have a Herb style tourney, study these three tourneys to see how it's done right.

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

We are trying PaD on the 21st but I figure if we get a decent turn out there won't be too much repetition of play since games will be occupied most of the time and people will have the ability to make it through all games (assuming they show up early enough) and then replay and try to better a few stinkers. Maybe after this time, we can get a better idea and then make it limited play.
    I really like that format. I like how Tully is doing Wauna this year where you get 8? tickets to play 5 games. That gives you 3 mulligans, but also enforces the need to show up early in order to get your attempts in.

I think 8 tickets for Wauna is perfect. I got there when it opened last year and played 7 tickets (for 5 games) and qualified first. I also got my two attempts in on the side tourney and a couple attempts at the one ball LOTR and took about an hour break for lunch and by that time qualifying was over and playoffs were about to start. It's not like I was waiting around much at all. It's just a busy tournament and I doubt many people that got there early were able to get in even 10 tickets on the main tourney.-and if they did they likely missed out on the two side tournaments as the waiting times were long throughout the day. I think you'll still have to get there fairly early to get all 8 tickets in.

For the tourney on the 21st I would limit to 14 attempts as the max. I have a feeling 40-50 people will be showing up and I think that even if you show up at the beginning you would likely be hard pressed to get all 14 attempts in. Especially since some of the games play long and I'm guessing you are leaving settings/tilts where they are at vs. making them tougher for the tournament.

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

For the tourney on the 21st I would limit to 14 attempts as the max. I have a feeling 40-50 people will be showing up and I think that even if you show up at the beginning you would likely be hard pressed to get all 14 attempts in. Especially since some of the games play long and I'm guessing you are leaving settings/tilts where they are at vs. making them tougher for the tournament.

Good feedback Mike. You are more optimistic than I. I was thinking 40 people at most, but more likely 30? So hard to get a good estimate.

14 attempt limit is probably a good way to go. We will learn and adjust for the next one.

I do plan to set up games more difficult. Tournament settings/no EBs and tougher to keep it flowing. No major changes but definately need to turn down ball saves and tighten a few tilts that are set pretty open for normal route play.

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Any time you limit your entries, you're also limiting your prize pool. The bigger the payouts and the further down you pay, the more players you'll attract. (all other things being equal)
    The number of games in the qualifying bank, the games selected to use and the setup on the games is extremely important in a Herb tourney. Rather than 7 games and only 21 entries, why not have a 10 or 12 bank of qulifying games setup hard and unlimited entries? Best 5 game scores make up your score (100-95-90-89, etc). Software is out there to easily do this.
    Adding more divisions isn't practical. PAPA is the exception, not the rule. Tournament directors don't want to keep track of 3 or 4 different tourneys at the same time. For years, the best execution of a Herb style tourney has been CAX IMO. The casual division is run differently than the A division and every year they get a huge turnout with big payouts for both divisions. I don't recall all the rules for casual division, but one rule isn't you can't be in novice if you've ever won money in a tournament. That cuts out all the A players quick. And novice player CAN qualify for A division if they play well enough. EVERYONE GETS POINTS. That part is huge. All the games are setup tough there. You won't find a Spidey with closed outlanes and the middle post in place. If you use long playing games not setup properly, you will get lines. Use enough games properly setup and lines will stay short.
    The NW tourney and INDISC use similar formats. These three tournments have among the biggest turnouts and payouts every year. If you're considering have a Herb style tourney, study these three tourneys to see how it's done right.

For CAX, how do you have a novice division and keep A players out while still getting IFPA credit?

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

For CAX, how do you have a novice division and keep A players out while still getting IFPA credit?

Everyone plays in the same group for qualifying on Friday and Saturday. Then, for finals on Sunday, the top 16 out of the entire qualifying field advance to open playoffs. Everyone else's rank after qualifying is listed as their rank for IFPA results.

Then, the next 6 highest qualifying players who are eligible for casual division (don't have a ranking X high, have never won a full WPPR event, some other rules I can't remember) advance to the casual division finals on Sunday, which has cash prizes and award plaques but no IFPA value. They also draw at random two other players from the list of eligible players, who also get to participate in the finals. The top seed in casual division finals last year finished 28th overall in qualifying.

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from epotech:

I don't know if this is the norm in the US but in europe I have never been to a tournament run with multiple attempts at qualifying (excluding classics on a sunday).
    Most compos seem to be play 6 games (maybe with 1 redo) and that's your entry.

Surely if Pinball want to be taken seriously as a sport the format must be the same (whichever is decided).

This.
    I have never seen a serious sport during which you can pay to make an additional attempt during qualifying round...
    Stop for a minute and think about it: a golfman paying more to make another 18-hole during a competition? Pay for each attempt at pole vaulting??

To increase the pot, find sponsors. Don't ask the average players to fund the best players. Or play Poker instead.

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from Flamethrower:

Everyone plays in the same group for qualifying on Friday and Saturday. Then, for finals on Sunday, the top 16 out of the entire qualifying field advance to open playoffs. Everyone else's rank after qualifying is listed as their rank for IFPA results.
    Then, the next 6 highest qualifying players who are eligible for casual division (don't have a ranking X high, have never won a full WPPR event, some other rules I can't remember) advance to the casual division finals on Sunday, which has cash prizes and award plaques but no IFPA value. They also draw at random two other players from the list of eligible players, who also get to participate in the finals. The top seed in casual division finals last year finished 28th overall in qualifying.

Very cool. Do you happen to remember what the IFPA rank was for the novice cutoff?

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Very cool. Do you happen to remember what the IFPA rank was for the novice cutoff?

Yeah, it's great. Less experienced players have something achievable to shoot for while also getting an opportunity to compete with the big kids. I want to say 500 for the cutoff, but I'm not 100% on that.

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

To increase the pot, find sponsors.

Easier said than done . . . but we'll keep trying

#63 9 years ago

Sometimes you get more players by not charging for a tournament. Apart from the Charity events i didn't charge for any tournaments last year and i think it increased turnout, especially for the novice to intermediate players. That way if it's unlimited entry in qualifying everyone has the same chance and the only metric is how much time your willing to put in. I will run some tournaments this year where i'll have an entry fee as i think a mix is probably best. We had a local beer distributer sponser an event and there was some nice swag there.

#64 9 years ago

Yeah, it's great. Less experienced players have something achievable to shoot for while also getting an opportunity to compete with the big kids. I want to say 500 for the cutoff, but I'm not 100% on that.

I still qualify for the D division at PAPA WC (but likely can't go) so I think I'm safe for the novice division at CAX. Trying to make more shows this year.

#65 9 years ago

I seem to remember that Bowen has said the following rule is the only rule, but I also kinda remember a points cutoff. Anyway...

"The Casual Player Division is reserved for player who have never previously won a cash prize in a pinball tournament, including past CAX events."

http://www.caextreme.org/tourney

The casual players have been having a blast at CAX the last few years. I typically help one or two folks thru the details each year. Their enthusiasm amongst all the regulars is a lot of fun. For the record, my advice also includes telling folks when to stop playing entries. The scoring is simple to understand and see, so they generally catch on pretty quick. Once you've competed seriously in casual division there for a year, you're a grizzled veteran (even though you may still qualify for novice the next year).

Forgot to mention above that the big Herb tourneys just about always have two or more banks of qualifying games. Modern, classics and sometimes solid state. Modern should have the most games and classics will often count the best 4 games rather than best 5 in modern. More than one bank = more games = less lines. Games often blur the lines. Taxi or another system 11 might be in the modern bank, or FH may end up in the classic lineup. Doesn't matter. Stay close and no one will care.

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

This goes against the argument that pump and dump exclusively rewards players with money. The top 16 at Southern Fried last year was almost exclusively elite players: http://www.ifpapinball.com/view_tournament.php?t=871#results
    And it sounds like it took them a fair number of entries to qualify.
    I'm not psyched about pump and dump because I'm not a top player, so I don't like the idea of having to buy a ton of entries for something that I have no shot at anyway. But I know that if I only buy one entry (while others have many), I truly have *no* shot. When everyone has a limited number of tries, I've got a better change.
    I'd put up $100 to play at a poker table with top pros...*if everyone was putting up $100*. But I wouldn't sit down with $100 when those same guys had $1000. And I wouldn't pay $1000 to sit at that table either because it's just throwing money away.
    If we're trying to get things to grow and be more friendly to newbies, why not have only the A division be pump and dump, while the B, C, D, etc. are a different format (with IFPA ranking based restrictions regarding who can compete)? I also like the idea of a division that is restricted to people who have never played in an IFPA event previously.

Herb events are not scaring off newbies.

In every sport/competition there is going to be a top level that will cost significant money. For the elite players in pinball, the tournament is the CHEAP part. Airfare, hotel and meals can easily be 4x more. The two times I went to Pinburgh the entire trip cost about $1100. Tournament entry was only $125 - 150.

The bottom line is a Herb that draws good competition and runs multiple days is $150-200 commitment for most players. There's a ton of other formats out there. In 2012 I ran tournaments every two weeks at $5 entry + coin drop: single/double-elim, pin golf, match play, and others. That "recruited" a ton of new players, some who have gone on to get serious and play in the Herb events at INDISC and CAX, and others who are just content to play in the local events. Every player, new or experienced, should play at the level they can afford and compete in, but there's no reason to begrudge the pricier events.

#67 9 years ago

All the Herb talk made me think of that Pinball Fantasy tournament 2006 where "Herb style" was born.

Results are still up!

http://www.fabfan.com/show/

(I believe that Bowen was running CAX using this format prior to 2006, but "Bowen style" just doesn't have as nice of a ring to it)

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Herb events are not scaring off newbies.
    In every sport/competition there is going to be a top level that will cost significant money. For the elite players in pinball, the tournament is the CHEAP part. Airfare, hotel and meals can easily be 4x more. The two times I went to Pinburgh the entire trip cost about $1100. Tournament entry was only $125 - 150.
    The bottom line is a Herb that draws good competition and runs multiple days is $150-200 commitment for most players. There's a ton of other formats out there. In 2012 I ran tournaments every two weeks at $5 entry + coin drop: single/double-elim, pin golf, match play, and others. That "recruited" a ton of new players, some who have gone on to get serious and play in the Herb events at INDISC and CAX, and others who are just content to play in the local events. Every player, new or experienced, should play at the level they can afford and compete in, but there's no reason to begrudge the pricier events.

I run the local league and a bi-weekly. The league is cheap and once a month, but is mostly regulars from the monthlies at the 30-pin place. The bi-weekly events are $5 single elim (to keep it ~2 hours) and was intended to pick up new players from another location that has 4 machines. So far (4 events) one new player who was there for the first one and then not seen since. I have flyers up, but it's pretty much the same 3-6 players. Going to make bigger/bolder signs soon and have started posting on the location's FB page in the hopes that somebody new sees it.

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

All the Herb talk made me think of that Pinball Fantasy tournament 2006 where "Herb style" was born.
    Results are still up!
    (I believe that Bowen was running CAX using this format prior to 2006, but "Bowen style" just doesn't have as nice of a ring to it)

Is it just me, or is that page auto-refreshing for anyone else? I think the results are set. Lots of household names in that list.

#70 9 years ago

Why is it called "Herb style" again?

#71 9 years ago

Herb Silvers ran that tournament at Pinball Fantasy which was the first 'pump and dump' that many of us played in (where you could keep your high score on individual games).

There weren't a ton of players, but at the end of the weekend the prize pool was HUGE (much bigger compared to the other tournaments on the 'tour' back in 2006). So many of us took that format back home with us, and it spread across the events we started running.

When we were approached by Gameworks back in December 2008 to run the first "Tournament of Champions" event, we used this format.

Herb ran it as top 10 scores only getting points, which has been modified most often to fit with the PAPA style scoring system of 100-90-85-84-etc. The problem with Herb's "Herb" was that there were a ton of players tied with ZERO points, and that's no fun

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

The prize pool is simply governed by the size of entry fee, so if one wants a larger prize pool, charge more for the entry whether it is a per game or a flat entry fee. I've actually run through numbers on a 3 day tourney, and it comes down to this limiting factor: there is a max # of plays that can be put on the games over a 2 day qualifier... in other words no matter how many participants you have a $X entry per game results in a max possible pot of $X * Y games * Z hours. In my experience the games are usually busy open to close as it is.

Let's take an example... we had a PAPA tournament with 2 day qualifiers that logged 1500 plays on 7 games with 81 participants and a collected pot of $5500. That's 75 plays per hour for the 20 hours of qualifying or 10.7 minutes per game. The bank was busy most of the time, so lets consider this a ballpark max # of plays. A flat entry fee of $68 per participant would result in this same $5500 pot. $68 is less than most top competitors put into such a tournament. A more salient point is if you divide the 1500 plays between the 81 participants you wind up with a max average of 18.5 plays per person, total.

That 18.5 number is the most telling point.. less than 1 game per hour. This implies people probably can't and don't play for the entire 20 hours, and when they do they are doing the amusement park thing--standing in lines for much longer than they are playing games. One obvious solution is to add more games, which was done the next year. This shortens lines, adds more entries, increases the pot. But you start to see from these numbers that it is completely possible to charge an reasonable flat entry fee of $75 per person, or limit total number of plays to 20 or 25 and still maintain the same prize pool. This assertion that pay-per-qualifier is "fair to all entrants" and "necessary for a large prize pool" falls apart fairly quickly with real numbers.

#73 9 years ago

Ah, thanks IFPA.

#74 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I run the local league and a bi-weekly. The league is cheap and once a month, but is mostly regulars from the monthlies at the 30-pin place. The bi-weekly events are $5 single elim (to keep it ~2 hours) and was intended to pick up new players from another location that has 4 machines. So far (4 events) one new player who was there for the first one and then not seen since. I have flyers up, but it's pretty much the same 3-6 players. Going to make bigger/bolder signs soon and have started posting on the location's FB page in the hopes that somebody new sees it.

Here in the bay area there are a few free places to advertise:

SF Bay Guardian
    Eastbay Express
    Oakland Tribune (free for online event postings)
    SF Chronicle (free for online event postings)
    SF Fun Cheep

I also started a wordpress site (free, unless you want to use your own domain name, in which case it's about $20 per year).

Another effective way to advertise is using meetup.com, your local patch site, or put small posters on the backglass at the popular venues.

#75 9 years ago

A way to go thru the lines quicker is allow a player to play 2 or 3 games on the machine.
    That eliminates the travel time from the waiting area to the machines and could increase the total number of play

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from lmcdonald111:

A way to go thru the lines quicker is allow a player to play 2 or 3 games on the machine.
    That eliminates the travel time from the waiting area to the machines and could increase the total number of play

Travel time is as long as it takes to walk 2 steps.

#77 9 years ago

Took me much longer in Texas, Louisville and Chicago.
    You must have really really long legs

Time to be called
    Time to get up
    Time towalk from the waiting area
    Time to get ready

I think you would be surprised how many more plays there really could be

Marcus, how many more plays do you think TEXAS pin fest could get?

#78 9 years ago

Time to be called
    Time to get up
    Time to get ready

Hmm, Florida tournaments are not like that. Any wait is in a game specific line, so when one player acknowledges he is done at a machine, the next player takes the two steps to the game to start. In other words, it bypasses all the inefficiencies you are used to.

#79 9 years ago

Time to be called
    Time to get up
    Time to get ready

Louisville was not like that. Wait in game specific line with chairs. When the other guy is done you take 3 steps and you are at the game. The only wait which is very short is waiting for a scorekeeper to get your score entered. I did hear that Chicago was much worse.

#80 9 years ago

Add
    The wait for a score keeper.
    All things equal time.

Must have been the times I played in Louisville because there was time wasted.
    More in Chicago about the same in Texas depending on when I played

#81 9 years ago

Add
    The wait for a score keeper.
    All things equal time.
    Must have been the times I played in Louisville because there was time wasted.
    More in Chicago about the same in Texas depending on when I played

Karl Deangelo of So Cal wrote some amazing software that addresses this. It uses tablets. The next player is automatically shown on the tablet as well as an overhead projector display. Entries are all managed electronically so once you queue up a player the entry is debited from their total. Scores instantly go into the system - no handling paper entries with chicken-scratch hand-writing. Extremely efficient and easy for both score-keepers and players alike.

As examples, when I helped score-keeping at CAX and INDISC, I was easily able to cover about nine games, which was about half the total. Same tournament in the previous years, I could cover 4 - 5 games, plus you need someone full-time at the computer entering scores from the score sheets. Since volunteers are paid in entries, the more volunteers needed the more it affects the prize pool.

The problem with allowing multiple plays per turn is a 5 player line just turned into possibly a 10-player line. That means players are more likely to wander off and need to be tracked down, or just balk and go do something else. You also open up the possibility of players camping at machines late in qualifying to prevent their opponents from getting a shot.

#82 9 years ago

The only time multiple plays are allowed for a single player is when no one else is in line for that game. Then, by all means, play as many games in a row as you like (have paid entries for). If you have multiple banks, plenty of games and lots of qualifying hours, it's pretty common to see this.

#83 9 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Karl Deangelo of So Cal wrote some amazing software that addresses this. It uses tablets. The next player is automatically shown on the tablet as well as an overhead projector display. Entries are all managed electronically so once you queue up a player the entry is debited from their total. Scores instantly go into the system - no handling paper entries with chicken-scratch hand-writing. Extremely efficient and easy for both score-keepers and players alike.

is this software available for purchase anywhere?

#84 9 years ago

Shoot, the wait at TPF is from people not paying attention or knowing what a freaking line is. You have people standing around all at the front and when it's next person up there is a discussion of whom's next. Not blaming the tournament directors as they are busy enough but serious (players) is it really that hard to:
    - be ready to play when you are next in line? Yeah, that means to put your phone away and be ready to end your conversation with a friend when the game is ready....
    - stay in the line that you are intending to play in. There are big signs on the chairs telling you what each line is for.
    - limit your silly pregame routine to a couple of seconds. This reminds me of golf to where the 30 handicap person needs to line up their put 10 times and take a hundred practice strokes just to not even come close
    - and my biggest pet peeve. If you are playing your last ball and you get frustrated. Please don't rage tilt a game or shake it while you walk off to "show" your frustration. That person in line now is waiting a couple mins to play to let the tilt settle down.
    - can't believe this even has to make a list but for crying out loud, TAKE A SHOWER, nobody wants to smell your filth.
    - in conclusion. Don't be an ass and be courteous to those around you.

I beg for tournament directors to not allow multiple plays on a game with others waiting. Can you imagine how long you will be sitting on your butt waiting to play a game if there are 10 people in front of you and each of them got to play 3 games? You could be sitting there hours. Not exactly my idea of fun.

#85 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I would be interested in this software as well as i want to start running bigger tournaments in my area and have seen this in action, it is quite good...

#86 9 years ago

Tablets are very good if all works properly. There is still a lot of room for improvement to make things more reliable. Both software and hardware crashes can kill a lot of time.

A lot of time can be wasted or saved depending on how attentive the score keepers are during the event as well as if enough score keepers are available. This can be huge and I don't think this is discussed enough!

If queues are not setup properly, then it will also cause a line slowdown. Example being Expo. Game specific queues are always better than one long queue, but the layout at Expo may not allow differently. There is not a lot of room in the hallway used there.

Most of these scorekeepers are volunteers or are getting very little in return for their time, so make sure to be very nice to them. I appreciate what they do and it appears to me that it is usually a thankless occupation.

Many people new to tournaments may not understand the line queues, especially the single line queues. They can appear very overwhelming to even the tournament veterans when thinking about how much time they want to spend in line trying to qualify for an event.

#87 9 years ago

85vett
    Agreed.

That only enforces the fact of wasted time.

#88 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Results are still up!

Damn, lost to Eden!
    I think that was his and Cayle's first show, or second.
    Long time ago....

#89 9 years ago

I do like the software that allows for immediate input of a score and automatically updates the standings. My first experience with it was at Free Play Florida 2014 and thought it was just fantastic. It allowed for strategic planning of what to do next as opposed to guesstimating what the effects would be.

I hope that system becomes widely available.

#90 9 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Damn, lost to Eden!
    I think that was his and Cayle's first show, or second.
    Long time ago....

I remember meeting Eden that weekend. Very new to the scene, very excited to be there, and very excited to let everyone know how great of a player he was.

And then he went to PAPA a couple of months later . . .

http://legacy.papa.org/papa9/live/A.html

(keep scrolling down those standings)

#91 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

- can't believe this even has to make a list but for crying out loud, TAKE A SHOWER, nobody wants to smell your filth.

not just for tournaments, but some who attend pin shows could use to be reminded of this...

#92 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I don't know. I just saw Karl at the State champs, too. I should have asked him but he was in the finals and I didn't want to bother him.

#93 9 years ago

Another option for online scoring software is www.pinballtourneys.com You can use this system for free. Robert Harris and his team have done an excellent job with this site.

So if you have internet access, consider using this software.

It is the tournament software for Texas Pinball Festival, Houston Arcade & Pinball Expo and any event that I run.

Marcus

#94 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I believe the trick is to ask nicely. Beware that it requires you to run a local server on a computer so setting it up is not just pushing a button. Like Johnny I've used it to help scorekeep at INDISC and CAX and it's so easy for everyone involved.

#95 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Another option for online scoring software is http://www.pinballtourneys.com You can use this system for free. Robert Harris and his team have done an excellent job with this site.
    It is the tournament software for Texas Pinball Festival, Houston Arcade & Pinball Expo and any event that I run.
    Marcus

I went to the website and dont see anything about using it or how to use it? Am I just not seeing it?

#96 9 years ago

What are the the takeaways from this thread?

1. You can't buy your way into first place, but it could help in the qualifiers
    2. pay-per-game qualifiers doesn't result in a higher pot
    3. Some tournaments do better than others to minimize wait times, which results in increased participation

#97 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I went to the website and dont see anything about using it or how to use it? Am I just not seeing it?

From the website, "Do you have an upcoming pinball tournament? Use the Contact Us page with details and we can get back to you on adding you to our schedule."

It's very simple to use.

The admin login gives you access to set up screen.

Admin PageAdmin Page

From this screen, you can create a tournament, add players, add machines, correct scores.

The staff login gives you access to the score keeping screen.

Score PageScore Page

These screens are designed with tablets and smartphones in mind.

It really is easy to use.

Marcus

#98 9 years ago

I do not see any of what you are showing when I go to the website????

I am very confused?

I assume I need to contact them with details and then they add my event?
    Then I get an admin password for player and score entry?

#99 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Another option for online scoring software is http://www.pinballtourneys.com You can use this system for free. Robert Harris and his team have done an excellent job with this site.
    Marcus

Is there a chance of getting it to process queues like Karl's software? The way Karl's software works is it keeps track of virtual "lines" for each machine and lists the names of people queued for a machine on the screen. Once you finish your game, you tell the scorekeeper what game you want to get in "line" for next.

Saves a lot of space and kills the worst part of the tournament, the DMV-like lines

#100 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I do not see any of what you are showing when I go to the website????
    I am very confused?
    I assume I need to contact them with details and then they add my event?
    Then I get an admin password for player and score entry?

Yes. Exactly as you said.

Here are the summarized steps.

1. Contact Them via their website. Provide them Date & Name of Event.
    2. They contact you with an event link, admin login info & scorekeeper login info.
    3. Use the admin password for tournament settings, management and configuration.
    4. Use the scorekeeper password for adding players and scores.

Marcus

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.