(Topic ID: 52763)

IFPA World Championship was held last weekend ....

By rotordave

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by SolarRide
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    worldchamp.jpg
    personal_trollface_hd.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

And I can't find one post on Pinside about them.
    I find that a little hard to fathom.
    Maybe because IFPA doesn't involve LEDs or Mods you guys aren't interested?
    For those people that actually have interest in *playing* pinball, the new World Champion is Jorgen Holm from Sweden, who defeated Zach Sharp from the USA on the last ball of an epic 9 game final.
    You can see the results here:
    http://www.ifpapinball.com/
    rd

Not many people here seem to care about hearing about the elite players of pinball nor do we talk about them. Many of us like playing pinball, but thanks for assuming that because we don't talk about the top guys of competitive pinball that we must not be players

I have had one guy tell me (without sarcasm) that 'he is a big deal' and was genuinely offended that I did not know who he is. My reaction to that "oh, you play competitive pinball, get over it." It is just pinball.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Hey, I appreciate that not everyone is into it ... but don't you find it strange that not one person posted about it? I do ...

Nah. I don't find it much fun to talk about competitive pinball. It is the same 20-40 guys on the top and they just rearrange spots depending on the year.

Kind of like golf. It can be fun to play, is OK to watch, but pretty silly to discuss competitive players. IMHO of course.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

You do know that 6 of the current top 20 ranked players in the world post here? Some regularly. Lots of good players outside the top 20 post here too. You're not talking about them, you're talking with them.

Hasn't been much bragging by good players here. Without looking, can you even guess 3 of the 6 players I mentioned above?
    Congrats to Jorgen. Winning IFPA is one big ass notch to have in your belt. Nice work indeed.

You must have missed my point. I don't care who plays competitive pinball and think it is somewhat silly to take it so serious. It is just pinball. I play and host pinball events for FUN.

It is just pinball.

Just for the hell of it >>yes I know at least 3 of the top 20 that post here on pinside regularly. I have found it is typically the notch below that that tends to make a scene. They are not the elite but fell inside that they should be and everytime it seems to be them getting the short end of the stick with a flake switch, too tight of a tilt, etc...

#33 10 years ago

I appologize. I had no idea that anyone thought of competitive pinball as a spectator sport.

I am glad people enjoy following along from the sidelines. Maybe someday people will be able to yell at their TV when their favorite player misses a shot or chokes under the pressure of the finals. Whatever tickles your fancy.

#34 10 years ago

They should get Christopher Guest to make a movie on the circuit. It would be awesome!

Any ideas for a title?

#47 10 years ago

A movie by Christopher Guest would be an awesome honor for any pinball player!!!! It would truly show that competitive pinball had made it!

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Boring as bat shit to watch.
    rd

Many say the same thing about competitive pinball

Different strokes for different folks.
    Whatever tickles your fancy.

Maybe if competitive pinball can figure out what it is that got competitive poker to the lime light/sponsorships, then it will also get some notoriety.

#62 10 years ago

so maybe competitive pinball needs to develop a system where players 'gamble' as they play

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-world-championship-was-held-last-weekend?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.