(Topic ID: 52763)

IFPA World Championship was held last weekend ....

By rotordave

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by SolarRide
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    worldchamp.jpg
    personal_trollface_hd.png
    There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

And I can't find one post on Pinside about them.

I find that a little hard to fathom.

Maybe because IFPA doesn't involve LEDs or Mods you guys aren't interested?

For those people that actually have interest in *playing* pinball, the new World Champion is Jorgen Holm from Sweden, who defeated Zach Sharp from the USA on the last ball of an epic 9 game final.

You can see the results here:
    http://www.ifpapinball.com/

rd

#2 10 years ago

Good write-up on Pinball News ...

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/ifpa2013/index.html

rd

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

And I can't find one post on Pinside about them.
    I find that a little hard to fathom.
    For those people that actually have interest in *playing* pinball, the new World Champion is Jorgen Holm from Sweden, who defeated Zach Sharp from the USA on the last ball of an epic 9 game final.
    You can see the results here:
    http://www.ifpapinball.com/
    rd

Not many people here seem to care about hearing about the elite players of pinball nor do we talk about them. Many of us like playing pinball, but thanks for assuming that because we don't talk about the top guys of competitive pinball that we must not be players

I have had one guy tell me (without sarcasm) that 'he is a big deal' and was genuinely offended that I did not know who he is. My reaction to that "oh, you play competitive pinball, get over it." It is just pinball.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Not many people here seem to care about hearing about the elite players of pinball nor do we talk about them. Many of us like playing pinball, but thanks for assuming that because we don't talk about the top guys of competitive pinball that we must not be players

Hey, I appreciate that not everyone is into it ... but don't you find it strange that not one person posted about it? I do ...

As an example, if you are on a Corvette forum and a Corvette wins a race somewhere, somebody is going to mention it. Hey, not everyone is going to be interested in racing Corvettes, but at least it would be mentioned ....

rd.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Hey, I appreciate that not everyone is into it ... but don't you find it strange that not one person posted about it? I do ...

Nah. I don't find it much fun to talk about competitive pinball. It is the same 20-40 guys on the top and they just rearrange spots depending on the year.

Kind of like golf. It can be fun to play, is OK to watch, but pretty silly to discuss competitive players. IMHO of course.

#6 10 years ago

I followed it as much as I could this year but ended up working over the weekend.

One of our local favorites Andrei Massenkoff made the trip to Europe to compete. Unfortunately he didn't make the cutoffs.

Next year, depending on competition results, we could have as many as five bay area players at the IFPA championships. Suck it SO Cal!!

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

You do know that 6 of the current top 20 ranked players in the world post here? Some regularly. Lots of good players outside the top 20 post here too. You're not talking about them, you're talking with them.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I have had one guy tell me (without sarcasm) that 'he is a big deal' and was genuinely offended that I did not know who he is. My reaction to that "oh, you play competitive pinball, get over it." It is just pinball.

Hasn't been much bragging by good players here. Without looking, can you even guess 3 of the 6 players I mentioned above?

Congrats to Jorgen. Winning IFPA is one big ass notch to have in your belt. Nice work indeed.

#8 10 years ago

lol

personal_trollface_hd.pngpersonal_trollface_hd.png

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

You do know that 6 of the current top 20 ranked players in the world post here? Some regularly. Lots of good players outside the top 20 post here too. You're not talking about them, you're talking with them.

Hasn't been much bragging by good players here. Without looking, can you even guess 3 of the 6 players I mentioned above?
    Congrats to Jorgen. Winning IFPA is one big ass notch to have in your belt. Nice work indeed.

You must have missed my point. I don't care who plays competitive pinball and think it is somewhat silly to take it so serious. It is just pinball. I play and host pinball events for FUN.

It is just pinball.

Just for the hell of it >>yes I know at least 3 of the top 20 that post here on pinside regularly. I have found it is typically the notch below that that tends to make a scene. They are not the elite but fell inside that they should be and everytime it seems to be them getting the short end of the stick with a flake switch, too tight of a tilt, etc...

#10 10 years ago

I think the 57k that was donated to the PAPA TV project is pretty clear that people do care about competitive pinball.

#11 10 years ago

We need all types of pinball players. You should care, those guys are doing some great things for the hobby.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I don't care who plays competitive pinball and think it is somewhat silly to take it so serious. It is just pinball. I play and host pinball events for FUN.

#12 10 years ago

I think the fact IFPA is kind of low budget compared to PAPA, no live feed or even twitter updates and the fact it was in Germany so the updates they did have came in @ 2am in the states made it a little off the radar this year. But it is a great event with many good people as well as players. Big congrats to Jorgen!

#13 10 years ago

I think the fact IFPA is kind of low budget compared to PAPA, no live feed or even twitter updates and the fact it was in Germany so the updates they did have came in @ 2am in the states made it a little off the radar this year. But it is a great event with many good people as well as players. Big congrats to Jorgen!

Incredible stuff!

Pics: https://plus.google.com/photos/109386919141623817096/albums/5885195063013685009

worldchamp.jpgworldchamp.jpg

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I think the 57k that was donated to the PAPA TV project is pretty clear that people do care about competitive pinball.

Annnndddd its the reason why pinball is growing again.. Without competitive pinball, pinball would be almost dead...

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Not many people here seem to care about hearing about the elite players of pinball nor do we talk about them

Pinburgh???

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Pinburgh???

RGR - let it go. The ones that don't get it, won't.

#17 10 years ago

Competitive pinball is my number 1 interest. It's not the winning or losing, but the players, their personalities, the highs and lows and of course, the social aspect.

I'm relatively new to pinball but I have found the community to be diverse. There are some in it for the repair and mods, some just like to play, some like the art, and there are some that like to compete. I don't think there's any need to belittle either group.

I 'watched' the results of IFPA10 come through and enjoyed it for what it was. However, it's hard to get excited by some text updating on a website every 20 minutes! I'm hoping the PAPA TV thing really takes off and covers all major tournaments.

#18 10 years ago

lol, 397 people got it Next year 500-600??

#19 10 years ago

I found the total lack of coverage anywhere on the internet---never mind pinside, it was dead almost everywhere else too---to be baffling. Then again, the IFPA didn't do a great job of coverage and advertising before or during the event, so it's not all that surprising. I assume most people that were invested in the outcome were getting updates from their friend(s) that was there.

Watching the Aussie community get behind Edy on Aussie Arcade was good value.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from sk8ball:

I think the fact IFPA is kind of low budget compared to PAPA, no live feed or even twitter updates

Yeah, shame there was no live feed. The Internet out at Freddie's was slow so no chance to stream video I would guess.

The live feed of Pinburgh was awesome. I was watching it at 9am live in my office in New Zealand.

No reason why IFPA won't have the same setup in Denver next year.

rd.

#21 10 years ago

I found the total lack of coverage anywhere on the internet---never mind pinside, it was dead almost everywhere else too---to be baffling. Then again, the IFPA didn't do a great job of coverage and advertising before or during the event, so it's not all that surprising

There was a lot of coverage in Germany.

The tv cameras were there all weekend. They interviewed me for it .. Hope I don't make the edit lol

The tv chick told me that they are making a 30min TV show about it which airs Weds night 7.30. She said it should be on the web as well.

rd.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#22 10 years ago

The difference with Pinburgh and PAPA is that the games for the finals all stay the same, therefore the cameras do no have to move. Given that the players choose the games to play on in the finals, there would have to be a roving camera which would need to be set up constantly... Not sure if it is possible to do this at IFPA to the same quality of PAPA etc.

#23 10 years ago

I like that backdrop they have there with the news crew. If it wasn't for competitive pinball. I would have never even wanted to start playing. Back when the IFPA had the championships in Milwaukee, in 91, was the first time I really took interest in pinball. Before that, it was all video games only.

#24 10 years ago

I don't go to many tournaments nowadays, but I still enjoy reading about the them.

Congrats IFK.

#25 10 years ago

IFPA is the true world championship to me. Partly due to the fact that it is held i Europe every other year.

The nature of the tournament is to have a new facillity each year. Locating a suitable place having some 60 top quality machines ranging the last 40 years available is an achievement by itself. Expecting this facillity to be suitable for spectators, TV production and streaming bandwidth is a little too much to ask.

In terms of what is practically possible IFPA and PAPA are worlds apart. Finansially too.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

The difference with Pinburgh and PAPA is that the games for the finals all stay the same, therefore the cameras do no have to move. Given that the players choose the games to play on in the finals, there would have to be a roving camera which would need to be set up constantly... Not sure if it is possible to do this at IFPA to the same quality of PAPA etc.

In the finals Josh was moving around a tripod with a video camera so expect some footage to be loaded up on the IFPA website sooner or later.

rd.

#27 10 years ago

Yeh they did that last year as well, but not sure they could do live commentary like that... Pity its a great event..

#28 10 years ago

They have commentary here but not live

http://pinball.org/videos/tournament/ifpa/ifpa9-the-shadow/

#29 10 years ago

I want to see video of the gameplay on Farfalla, LOL!

#30 10 years ago

Unfortunately last year's finals videos haven't all been put up anywhere yet: the deciding game is still awaiting posting. The other games are at http://pinball.org/videos/tournament/ifpa/.

Even non-live posting of videos promotes awareness of your brand and event, so it's worth doing.

soren: A few games are brought in every year to fill in holes in the collection. Todd MacCulloch said somewhere that he didn't have enough EMs in his collection, so they were borrowed for the tournament. He's also mentioned in a commentary somewhere that he's left all his games IFPA-hard for him to practice on

#31 10 years ago

Yeah I put some up on the IFPA thread on AA..

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

The answer for me is that I don't care, plain & simple.

#33 10 years ago

I appologize. I had no idea that anyone thought of competitive pinball as a spectator sport.

I am glad people enjoy following along from the sidelines. Maybe someday people will be able to yell at their TV when their favorite player misses a shot or chokes under the pressure of the finals. Whatever tickles your fancy.

#34 10 years ago

They should get Christopher Guest to make a movie on the circuit. It would be awesome!

Any ideas for a title?

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I appologize. I had no idea that anyone thought of competitive pinball as a spectator sport.
    I am glad people enjoy following along from the sidelines. Maybe someday people will be able to yell at their TV when their favorite player misses a shot or chokes under the pressure of the finals. Whatever tickles your fancy.

"Someday" is, um, August 8th. Papa.tv fundraised some $50k to stream pinball on the internet, and I believe plans on being set up to broadcast the (other) world championships.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

There was a lot of coverage in Germany.
    The tv cameras were there all weekend. They interviewed me for it .. Hope I don't make the edit lol
    The tv chick told me that they are making a 30min TV show about it which airs Weds night 7.30. She said it should be on the web as well.
    rd.

Salut,

I have just spoken with the organizer in Germany, and he told me that it will be aired Weds at 12.15 local time.
    I do not know, if it will be restricted, but possibly you could find the video on www.zdf.de afterwards for streaming (just search for "Drehscheibe Deutschland" from Wednesday).
    Comments will be in German of course.

Cheers,
    flugs

#37 10 years ago

Great the Martin Ayub both qualified and participated. He is always good for comprehensive articles. Maybe not as live update, but to come afterwards.

#38 10 years ago

Congrats to Jorgen! I wonder if he'll be moving around the trophy's flags to put Sweden on display in the front. hehehe

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I can TOTALLY see competitive pinball on ESPN.

look at all the other shit they have which isn't as good ...

poker!!
    Darts
    Billiards
    9 ball
    Baseball (haha couldn't resist ...)

The IFPA final came down to the last ball on the 9th game. Could have gone either way.

That's great tv ....

All PAPA or IFPA need is Budweiser or Miller to come along with some sponsorship and it will be on ESPN.

rd.

#40 10 years ago

I enjoyed hearing from IFPA on its official website, but would have loved live coverage, of course. Fortunately got text messages from one of the players during the games ! We discussed the rise - and ultimate fall - of our fellow Frenchs on our national forum. Good to see 2 of them reached the Top 8.
    Congrats to the new Champion !

#41 10 years ago

The French guys did really well this year!

The young guy Tim is a very good player indeed.

He beat Franck Bona and Steve Edwards in the playoffs.

rd.

#42 10 years ago

if they can make a bunch of people sitting around playing cards, worth watching. You sure the hell can do it for pinball.

#43 10 years ago

Must have been hell of a trip to reach Germany, Rotordave! Hope you enjoyed it, and spent (spend ?) a few days around.
    I am still recovering from the jetlag since my trip to Australia...last January

#44 10 years ago

If there was a lack of exposure here, it was not because of us. IFPA could simply have done some simple PR, started a results thread with updates, photos. It doesn't have to live stream.

Definitely I would suggest to the organizers to be more proactive and not wait for the horse to come to water.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Quoted from Whysnow:

They should get Christopher Guest to make a movie on the circuit. It would be awesome!

So you apologize in one post, then quickly suggest a mockumentary on the subject. Real heartfelt apology there.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

If there was a lack of exposure here, it was not because of us. IFPA could simply have done some simple PR, started a results thread with updates, photos. It doesn't have to live stream.

The IFPA PR machine is much bigger and badder than than PAPA's. However, as mentioned above, it helps if you live the country where the event is being held. When the event is held here in the states, it gets tons of pub. Much more than any PAPA event. You can still search google news archives to find much of it.

Quoted from frolic:

Definitely I would suggest to the organizers to be more proactive and not wait for the horse to come to water.

This event is invitational, so there is no need to advertise for players. Players are notified privately if they've made the cut. Because the event is usually held in different locations, spectator support can vary greatly.

#47 10 years ago

A movie by Christopher Guest would be an awesome honor for any pinball player!!!! It would truly show that competitive pinball had made it!

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

All PAPA or IFPA need is Budweiser or Miller to come along with some sponsorship and it will be on ESPN.
    rd.

Actually it already was on ESPN dude. It was tape delayed and broadcast in prime time the next day on ESPN 8 (The Ocho). They claimed it was one of their highest rated broadcasts.

If you don't get ESPN 8 you should contact your cable or satellite provider and ask that they carry it...

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

Actually it already was on ESPN dude. It was tape delayed and broadcast in prime time the next day on ESPN 8 (The Ocho). They claimed it was one of their highest rated broadcasts.
    If you don't get ESPN 8 you should contact your cable or satellite provider and ask that they carry it...

Errrrr no cable in New Zealand champ

We do have ESPN international though. Good to watch the US Drag Racing on! That's the only thing on there that interests anyone I know. Except a couple of dudes who watch the baseball.

rd.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Must have been hell of a trip to reach Germany, Rotordave! Hope you enjoyed it, and spent (spend ?) a few days around.
    I am still recovering from the jetlag since my trip to Australia...last January

Hahaha! It sure is a long way.

11 hours Auckland to Hong Kong, a 3 hour layover then 11 hours to Frankfurt.

Almost 30 hours travel by the time we go to the hotel.

rd.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-world-championship-was-held-last-weekend and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.