Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 643 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PinballKen
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_4478.JPG
    100_4473.JPG
    100_4495.JPG
    Oregon State Champ.jpg
    book.jpg
    100_4499.JPG
    IMG_8533_zpsca2aaf5a.jpg
    Jan-Feb-Mar 2014 076.jpg
    Cnv0267.jpg
    Cnv0268.jpg
    Cnv0266.jpg
    photo (21).JPG
    Project Pinball.jpg
    Atticus FL State Champ.jpg
    Jeff Palmer.jpg
    Atticus.jpg
    There are 643 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.
    #551 10 years ago

My son Atticus won Florida!

I am overjoyed!!

Of course he is happy too, but I can hardly contain myself!

#552 10 years ago

KS Results:
    1 Jason Scheffelmaer
    2 Phil Cridlebaugh
    3 Steve Hill
    4 Artie Scholes
    5 Joe Shaneyfelt
    6 Don Brownback
    7 Stu Allison
    7 Joel Waldeck
    9 Lonnie McDonald
    10 Logan Harding
    11 Nick Greenup
    12 Chris Swartz
    13 Taylor Brownback
    14 Marion Richards
    15 Baylee DeLaurier
    16 Grady Noonen

Jason doubled up and won the side event as well. Congratulations to Jason, he played outstanding all day. Long day of pinball, some marathon matches in several rounds. We will need to better coordinate the timing of the side event going forward, a lot of the main event participants left before we got the side started.

(Missouri winner: John Miller)

#553 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

My son and I are playing in the Florida State Pinball Championships.
    Looking forward to it

Florida Has a Winner

Atticus Fl State Champ 2.jpgAtticus Fl State Champ 2.jpg

#554 10 years ago

WA State Champs final 4:

1st. Kevin Birrell (that's me!)
    2nd. Aaron Garberding
    3rd. Nicholas Polimenakos
    4th. Dave Stewart

I also won the charity challenge; looks like I'm gonna go to Denver in May!

#555 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

My son Atticus won Florida!
    I am overjoyed!!
    Of course he is happy too, but I can hardly contain myself!

Awesome! Tell Atticus, "Congrats!"

#556 10 years ago

SCS WAS A BLAST!! Never been on an adrenaline rush for so long! Choked at the end, but was honored just to be part of such a fun event! Big props to our directors who had to make a couple of difficult calls. Thanks to all the volunteers also especially Tmac and Paul O who donated their time! 10/10 would do again!

#557 10 years ago

CA Results

1. Keith Elwin
    2. Jim Belsito
    3. Andrei Massenkoff
    4. Josh Lehan

#558 10 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

CA Results
    1. Keith Elwin
    2. Jim Belsito
    3. Andrei Massenkoff
    4. Josh Lehan

Wow, talk about a who's who of pinball. Which reminds me, how did IL end up?

#559 10 years ago

KY Results

1. Derek Fugate
    2. Jim Seward
    3. Larry Smith
    4. Bill Walborn

I think it's safe to say, a good time was had by one and all.

#560 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

Wow, talk about a who's who of pinball. Which reminds me, how did IL end up?

Unofficial IL
    1. Josh Henderson
    2. Dave Hegge
    3. and 4. Sharpe brothers

#561 10 years ago
    Quoted from ARTMAN:

Unofficial IL
    1. Josh Henderson
    2. Dave Hegge
    3. and 4. Sharpe brothers

Thanks Art! Bet they were some epic games!

#563 10 years ago

I came in second (center) so that meant battle against the former and current world champion, Bowen Kerins.

Some battles, but he won 4-1 against me.

What's it like to play against him? Hard. Obviously a great player, but more importantly a good sport, and that's what it's all about. Here is the after photo.

[attachment=1442685,undefined]

1900205_743211095697353_401621178_o.jpg1900205_743211095697353_401621178_o.jpg

#564 10 years ago

I missed it. Too far away and too many important things to get done. I really was upset I couldn't make it. I was slightly defensive in my earlier post because I know that people mostly had a great event. I might have screwed one person. I am so sorry. I wanted to make a defensive post not to trash organizers but to show that I am a family man. My family comes first. I could have given about an hours notice, maybe 30 minutes. For that I apologize if an alternate could have been acquired. Ken, you worked so hard and hopefully without too much expense we exposed a flaw. and I retract my harsh original post. We got along really well at a tournament last fall. I just figured based on a text that I received the15 other people were getting drunk and trashing me. I had to say my piece. Be well, you're a smart man and I just think that a place more central would make it easier. there's bars/food and all the lovely arcade action for the kids, JJP might just provide well maintained machines and let us do that. We get a small space and Iplay gets money from the kids… and beer. Just an idea, not MY WAY or the HIGHWAY. I'm sorry but I hate to upset people. I have a complicated life. In the future I will make sure I cannot commit to things that are not set in stone. But my point was you never know. Thanks for your understanding. one love.

Post edited by FiveSixPyro

#565 10 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I came in second (center) so that meant battle against the former and current world champion, Bowen Kerins.
    Some battles, but he won 4-1 against me.
    What's it like to play against him? Hard. Obviously a great player, but more importantly a good sport, and that's what it's all about. Here is the after photo.
    [attachment=1442685,undefined]

1900205_743211095697353_40162117... 194 KB

Thanks. What James doesn't mention is that he was repeatedly crushing games on his first-ever trip to this location. He hung 90M on Tron and 250M on Spidey in the final, and was very strong throughout.

Big thanks to Chuck Webster for organizing a really fun event.

#566 10 years ago

Alabama results.

1.Chris Warren(yours truly)
    2.Tim Street
    3.Travis Bender
    4.Bill Scrivener

It was a pressure packed and fun event, despite playing in a loud and crowded public location. Birthday parties and pinball don't mix well. My best game was the very first game I picked, 129M on Star Trek pro! Congrats to all the state winners. Looks like 14 yr old Tim will be representing Alabama in Colorado!

IMG_20140208_195429_389.jpgIMG_20140208_195429_389.jpg IMG_20140208_195439_892.jpgIMG_20140208_195439_892.jpg
    #567 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

SCS WAS A BLAST!! Never been on an adrenaline rush for so long! Choked at the end, but was honored just to be part of such a fun event! Big props to our directors who had to make a couple of difficult calls. Thanks to all the volunteers also especially Tmac and Paul O who donated their time! 10/10 would do again!

Everything Ken said - big thanks to those that made this possible, especially those locals that volunteered their time, and Tom for opening up one of the country's best collections for us to play. It was great fun, and a very humbling experience!

#568 10 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I also fell to a former world champion in the finals and ended up taking 2nd place.

Minnesota Results:

1. Paul Madison
    2. John Jundt
    3. Trevor Klungseth
    4. Dan Dolney

Interesting enough, Paul came in as the #1 qualifier, I was the #2 qualifier. Dan who finished 4th was the #3 qualifier and Trevor who finished 2nd was the #5 qualifier, so things didn't change much. Our #4 qualifier lost in the first round 4-3.

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG
    #569 10 years ago
    Quoted from KillyKillall:

Good luck to everyone in the AZ tournament tomorrow!

I needed it but came out playing bad. One game through off my mind after I should have won it to go up 2 games to 1. And that came us ACDC. One bad shot and down the right outline it went. Only had to keep the ball in play for 30 secs on ball 3 to win.

#570 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I needed it but came out playing bad. One game three off my mind after I should have won it to go up 2 games to 1. And that game was ACDC. One bad shot and down the right outline it went. Only had to keep the ball in play for 30 secs on ball 3 to win.

#571 10 years ago

Here's a short video of final moment of the Ohio SCS

Trent Augenstein (#1 seed - white shirt) vs Rod Lawrence (#2 seed - black shirt)

#572 10 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

It was a pressure packed and fun event, despite playing in a loud and crowded public location. Birthday parties and pinball don't mix well.

Better than playing alone in your basement. d

Congrats to you and all the other winners. Sounds like an epic time was had by all.

#573 10 years ago

The NC trophy at its new home.

ncstatepinball trophy.jpgncstatepinball trophy.jpg

#574 10 years ago

Did WI even have a trophy? I did not see it at the competition.

#575 10 years ago

I want to congratulate the players involved and publicly acknowledge the IFPA guys for generating a lot of buzz for pinball over these SCS events. The game grew a little bigger today.

Well done.

#576 10 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

Here's a short video of final moment of the Ohio SCS
    Trent Augenstein (#1 seed - white shirt) vs Rod Lawrence (#2 seed - black shirt)
    » YouTube video

Wow! 131M vs 144M on Metallica. Serious scores! Big congrats to Rod.

#577 10 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Wow! 131M vs 144M on Metallica. Serious scores! Big congrats to Rod.

Not only that, but Rod had to come back about ~80M (I believe) to win. Awesome finals.

Also want to give congrats to John Delzoppo for winning our Charity tournament, which raised $420... before matching!

#578 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

No, we just had a block of cheese. But we did have Dennis Nordman at our SCS so it's all good!

#579 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Quoted from PinballKen:

No, we just had a block of cheese. But we did have Dennis Nordman at our SCS so it's all good!

Lmao! It was on the main table surrounded by the flyers.

#580 10 years ago

Really? The same one as the other states? All I saw was the one for the side event.

Pretty cool looking trophies.

#581 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Really? The same one as the other states? All I saw was the one for the side event.
    Pretty cool looking trophies.

Yep it was right next to the side event trophy. You were probably just focused on your matches.

#582 10 years ago
    Quoted from Turboderf:

Florida Has a Winner

Atticus Fl State Champ 2.jpg 52 KB

It’s all in the wrist as pinball wizards take a stand for Florida title

Posted: 9:33 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 8, 20

By Daphne Duret - Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

BOYNTON BEACH —
    The ringing, whistles and whirs coming from the Circus Voltaire pinball machine offered no clue as to whether Atticus Palmer was beating his opponent, but from the way the lanky 15-year-old bobbed his head, it was looking good.

Palmer, of Coral Springs, had come into the International Flipper Pinball Association’s Florida state championship tournament in fifth place, well behind his No. 1-ranked father, Jeff. But Atticus — clad in a black T-shirt, red Converse and oversized headphones that pumped Rick Astley’s “Never Gonna Give You Up” into his ears on repeat — was by far the crowd favorite among the 16 competitors.

+ It’s all in the wrist as pinball wizards take a stand for Florida title photo
    Richard Graulich

The trophy on display during the IFPA Florida State Pinball Championship in Boynton Beach on February 8, 2014. (Richard Graulich/The Palm ... read more

Arcade-style pinball enthusiasts from around the state converged at Club 66 in Boynton Beach for the winner-take-all contest mirroring similar competitions that took place in every U.S. state Saturday. At stake: a spot representing Florida in the national championships, scheduled for May in Colorado.

Atticus Palmer appeared to be cruising through the first round after he watched his father battle all the way to game seven in a contest with a woman who had come from Tallahassee to play.

“It gets intense,” said Jeff Palmer, whose signature shimmy and left leg horse kick at the machines pulled him through to the fifth spot. “I tend to take it a lot more seriously than Atticus, but he’s been teaching me. He’s always so relaxed, he’s helped me open up more.”

Richard Graulich

An Indiana Jones machine at the IFPA Florida State Pinball Championship in Boynton Beach on February 8, 2014. (Richard Graulich/The Palm ... read more

“Like with most collectibles, it’s about nostalgia,” Club 66 owner Brian Styles said of the machines. “It’s about either something you had as a child and you’re trying to get back to that, or it’s something that you wanted but never had the opportunity to get back then.”

For competitor Howard Levine, a 50-year-old energy consultant who splits his time between upstate New York and Lake Worth, playing pinball was a way to recapture how it felt pulling back the lever on the machine at the bowling alley his father frequented when Howard was a kid. For Fred Langemeyer, a Loxahatchee member of Project Pinball, which places free machines in children’s hospitals, pinball is both a hobby and an avenue for philanthropy.

They all hope that teenagers like Atticus, who hung on to take the title Saturday, will carry on the arcade game’s legacy over the more sedentary video games that children of his generation play. With clear braces punctuating a shy smile, Atticus shrugged and slid on the sunglasses whose lenses he had covered with the letters YOLO — “you only live once.”

Richard Graulich

Jeff Palmer, of Coral Springs, works the Cirqus Voltaire machine during the IFPA Florida State Pinball Championship in Boynton Beach on ... read more

Atticus.jpgAtticus.jpg
    Jeff Palmer.jpgJeff Palmer.jpg

Atticus FL State Champ.jpgAtticus FL State Champ.jpg Project Pinball.jpgProject Pinball.jpg
    #583 10 years ago

Saskatchewan had a good turnout, much fun had by all. Maybe next year we will be able to send our winner down to show you guys how to drink beer.

photo (21).JPGphoto (21).JPG

#584 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Yes we had a trophy but with all the awesome pins in Tom's collection, I can see how you missed it!
    Wisconsin Top 4
    1. Jason Werdrick
    2. Chris Basler (spelling?)
    3. Mike Sievert
    4. Ken Kulig

Cnv0266.jpgCnv0266.jpg Cnv0268.jpgCnv0268.jpg
    #585 10 years ago

Oops I forgot to add we had a special guest at the Wisconsin State Tourney!

Cnv0267.jpgCnv0267.jpg
    #586 10 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

2014 TX IFPA Final Results
    01. (11) Todd Rafacz
    02. (05) Robert Byers
    03. (08) Jon Drew
    04. (10) Brian Dols
    05. (01) Colin MacAlpine
    05. (02) Marcus Trevino
    05. (04) Eric Fisher
    05. (14) Carey Fishman
    09. (03) Sven Johnson
    09. (06) Garrett Hays
    09. (07) Josh Tidmore
    09. (09) Ken Kemp
    09. (12) Brian Davis
    09. (13) Connor Briggs
    09. (15) Joey Stroman
    09. (16) Brian Morrison

And just to show you how competitve our field really is/was/will continue to be, here's the matching seed #s versus place finished!

Holy Crap! Results all over the place. Case in point: My matches vs. Brian Dols. We had some horrible games and close results. He won round 1 on a ball save and bonus, I won a match on a machine that I had a horrible score on when I played it earlier in the day and the night before, we both pretty much sucked-it-up on Iron Man (outlanes all the way open, man. For REAL.), and on Sorceror, I was behind by 600k on ball 3, with a ball locked (after I stole his lock on ball 1 as well!) and then I attempted to trap the ball to shoot for multi being only a few hundred k away.....rolled up the inlane and out the side! I would say there was no decisive victory in our match, and it was anyone's game...we would've gone all 7 games had it not been for that WCS fluke... I also had my wife get many ball saves on it later in the day while I got none...that game just hates me. Brian then went on to take out the #2 seed as well!

Was really bummed I didn't get to force anyone to play Jackbot, because it was broken...guess I'm just going to have to force people to play it at my house once I get it reassembled.

But yeah. Holy crap. Amazing group of competitors all around, and I have lost to just as many of them as I have defeated previously. I'd place good money on TX being the most "evenly matched" state out there across the majority of the field, and it really comes down to "any given day".

#587 10 years ago

Did you guys not play out for final finishing spots? In out tourney all losers of first played to determine 9-16, 2nd round losers 5th-9th, etc.

#588 10 years ago

I learned not to go for the 10 million skill shot on Twilight Zone when you are down by about 20 million. Just go for another Gumball payout...

It was still a great time. I still need more experience in pressure situations.

#589 10 years ago

Why are there just 9 players in Wisconsin State champs pic? And where is Jason?

#590 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Did you guys not play out for final finishing spots? In out tourney all losers of first played to determine 9-16, 2nd round losers 5th-9th, etc.

IFPA will most likely designate 5-8 as a tie for 7th, or something like that, and 9-16 as a tie for 13th.

#591 10 years ago
    Quoted from limelime20:

We had the entire group there for photos with two cameras. I'm guessing they haven't gotten around to posting it.

#592 10 years ago

And who got the blue , ala, 1980 "Oscar trophy"..LOL.............................I keed I keed..
    Not that the state championship trophy's were anything to write home about.....I keed ...not.!!

#593 10 years ago

Here ya go... Great time and always good to see everyone!

Jan-Feb-Mar 2014 076.jpgJan-Feb-Mar 2014 076.jpg

#594 10 years ago

I count 15...

#595 10 years ago
    Quoted from limelime20:

That picture was at the end of the night. Not all players, that is mostly volunteers and some players with Dennis Nordman. Jason was playing Chris at the time in the Final on another row of pins.

#596 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

And just to show you how competitve our field really is/was/will continue to be, here's the matching seed #s versus place finished!
    Holy Crap! Results all over the place.
    But yeah. Holy crap. Amazing group of competitors all around, and I have lost to just as many of them as I have defeated previously. I'd place good money on TX being the most "evenly matched" state out there across the majority of the field, and it really comes down to "any given day".

I think the format of the tourney also lends itself to more upsets, and favors slightly different characteristics than most tournaments (consistency is more important).

1 on 1 matches + single elim is both more random, and also favors consistent play more than people that have huge games and then some stinkers. PAPA style qualifying (100 95 90 85....) and 4 player matches with 4 2 1 0 scoring will give less random outcomes and yet favor people whose score distribution is wider at the same time.

And, yes, I'm implicitly acknowledging that my win was somewhat random

And if you ask me, with a "at most 1 per state" tourney that in the first place is going to be a little bit random, with the purpose of trying to engage more less-popular regions, it was a good choice to go with a tourney style that favored "inclusion" and increasing likelihood of upsets. But, damn, it was a long day of pinball for those that played the whole thing...

Curious what the national championship structure will look like.

#597 10 years ago

Tough competition this year.

#598 10 years ago
    Quoted from limelime20:

Johnny, not sure what you were looking for,? But it was head's up against the best player's in your state...!!
    Maybe you were wanting a 4 player tournament,? sorry, YOU were exposed for who you truly were..in a Head to Head..competition..
    This isn't for the weary...It's meant to be Fast and Furious, to a final conclusion.

Whooosh

#599 10 years ago

Great tournies all around.! Hope they do it next year as well.

#600 10 years ago
    Quoted from limelime20:

Because they decided to take the picture without finding anyone or telling us about it. Not one person ever said we were taking pictures during the entire event.

I like how our WI winners are IL guys. You guys get back in your own state damn it. Least I lost to one of our own.

There are 643 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-state-champs-club-whos-going/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.