Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 643 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PinballKen
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_4478.JPG
    100_4473.JPG
    100_4495.JPG
    Oregon State Champ.jpg
    book.jpg
    100_4499.JPG
    IMG_8533_zpsca2aaf5a.jpg
    Jan-Feb-Mar 2014 076.jpg
    Cnv0267.jpg
    Cnv0268.jpg
    Cnv0266.jpg
    photo (21).JPG
    Project Pinball.jpg
    Atticus FL State Champ.jpg
    Jeff Palmer.jpg
    Atticus.jpg
    There are 643 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.
    #1 10 years ago

Just curious, I know we don't seem to have a big tourney crowd here on Pinside, so just interested to see who made the cut for these IFPA state events and is on here.

I'm going to Texas', obviously.

#2 10 years ago

Indiana checking in! Watch as I get called for a job interview that weekend....

#3 10 years ago

Wisconsin for me! (j/k)

No 'weak sauce' in the Sharpe family . . . I'll be playing in IL

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Wisconsin for me! (j/k)

I can only hope the rest of IL takes that attitude!

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Wisconsin for me! (j/k)

I think everyone "out of state" that would've qualified except for Bob Matthews, for Texas, has declined. It would be fun for me if he showed up, I'd like to play against him, but due to the way the seeding will work, I wouldn't play him until very late in the tourney I think. I think we have very underrated players here in TX, because of the fact that many of us can't afford or don't have the time to travel to big national tournaments. I plan to make a better stab at TPF this coming year....I haven't seriously tried to do anything there due to pump and dump format, but if I have to pump and dump, I will at least help out my local tourney pals that put on the event and make sure that TPF gets paid for. 1st place and 4th placed (where I finished in this last tourney of the year here) were all that separated me from being 2nd seed versus 7th seed. Seems to me like we have a pretty dang competitve environment here over-all.

#6 10 years ago

I'm going to Minnesota. Interested to hear the format and rules beforehand though.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I'm going to Minnesota. Interested to hear the format and rules beforehand though.

If they stick to what's on the site.....

Best 4 of 7 rounds, on a bank of 7 games. Top seed picks first round position or game. Loser of each subsequent round picks. Can't use same machine more than once in a round unless there are less than 7 machines and all other machines in the bank have been exhaused.

That's the basic gist of it, aside from seeding rules. I think it's a great format.

#8 10 years ago

How many WPPR points are going to be awarded for the Championship tournament?

#9 10 years ago

Thinking of going to Ohio or Kentucky as I love going to the border.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Thinking of going to Ohio or Kentucky as I love going to the border.

And to avoid the Rosa bloodbath?

Just so you know, it'll either be held in Columbus (my place) or Cincinnati (metalliks)

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

How many WPPR points are going to be awarded for the Championship tournament?

Depends on the ranks of who attends for the final value. Not sure what the base value is...have to imagine it'll be 25 points like most any other tournament.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Zaxxis:

Just so you know, it'll either be held in Columbus (my place) or Cincinnati (metalliks)

Rosa bloodbath isn't a worry as the machines used won't be his anti-gravitar setup ones. Just haven't been to Metallik's in a few years. Of course depending on your line-up if held at your place would be fun. Always like meeting new people.

As for Kentucky the trip would be the reward as I could stop at a few places on the way there/back. Also if rumors are true I can finally check off a win against my all time nemisis.

Should be a fun time no matter where I decide to play.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

If they stick to what's on the site.....

Best 4 of 7 rounds, on a bank of 7 games. Top seed picks first round position or game. Loser of each subsequent round picks. Can't use same machine more than once in a round unless there are less than 7 machines and all other machines in the bank have been exhaused.

That's the basic gist of it, aside from seeding rules. I think it's a great format.

Some locations will have more than 7 games available in the tournament, so game choice will mean more for those states where there are exactly 7 available.

Seeding rules should be 'standard sports bracket' rules . . . if I'm missing something let me know

All IFPA State Pinball Championships will use the SAME FORMAT. Please do let me know if that ends up not being the case, as I will have to chat with that state rep afterwards.

Every State Championship is worth a base value of 25 WPPR points, plus normal formula increases, and will count in the qualifying for the 2014 SCS for that state.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Zaxxis:

Bring that sucker down here, games are nice n fast

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Seeding rules should be 'standard sports bracket' rules . . . if I'm missing something let me know

It's clear on the site.. I just didn't want to rehash it.

Kinda cool that it counts towards the 2014 SCS....bonus points for incumbency.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Every State Championship is worth a base value of 25 WPPR points, plus normal formula increases, and will count in the qualifying for the 2014 SCS for that state.

That does not seem right since they are not open events and a limited to 16 people.

Gives a distinct advantage to the 2013 SCS people for 2014 qualifying. For example, the winner of WI 2013 SCS will automatically qualify for 2014 unless WI events increase dramatically for next year.

Just a thought, but I would like to see the SCS not be for points.

#17 10 years ago

They are open events. All you need to do is finish in the top 16 or whatever in your state. Anyone has the potential to do that, therefore it's open.

Closed events are where something other than your skill excludes you from the cut. E.G. seniors (no kids) and B/C at PAPA (many players specifically excluded by rule)

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Gives a distinct advantage to the 2013 SCS people for 2014 qualifying. For example, the winner of WI 2013 SCS will automatically qualify for 2014 unless WI events increase dramatically for next year.

Uh...wow. Maybe Texas ain't so bad after all.. I can ignore politics, but I can't suffer a dearth of pinball, lol.

Honestly though, if you're saying WI has so few events that winning the SCS would de-facto qualify them for next year.....what's the issue? I could see it if most of the people in the top 16 were only hitting 1-3 events a year. But...looking at the WI standings, it looks like there's plenty of events, it's just that your events are being totally dominated by out of state people. Given there's a lot of blanks here, but looking at people that have WI listed as their location you have to go down to 41st to get 16 known people in WI. :\

I don't think there's a good solution to that aside from having different rules for different states, but on the other hand, I don't see the issue with the winner of the WCS being guaranteed a slot in the next year's tourney either. Won't happen in Texas...might happen in some other states apparently. From what I'm seeing, some of these guys are getting in on a ton of league/periodic events. Someone needs to go out of their way in your state to hold once-off tourneys on a weekend next year to make more points available overall.. there's no reason someone should attend 12 events, and only have 25 points, and nearly FIFTY PERCENT of those points came from a 6th place finish? ACK!

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

there's no reason someone should attend 12 events, and only have 25 points, and nearly FIFTY PERCENT of those points came from a 6th place finish? ACK!

You looking at me?

It's because I suck. Just going to as many tourneys as I can to try and get over being nervous. SCS is going to be a blast!

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

They are open events. All you need to do is finish in the top 16 or whatever in your state. Anyone has the potential to do that, therefore it's open.
    Closed events are where something other than your skill excludes you from the cut. E.G. seniors (no kids) and B/C at PAPA (many players specifically excluded by rule)

I don't mean to rock the boat here, but you might be mistaken, or I've been given the wrong information...

So in a way you're saying that a "B" Division that doesn't allow players in because of their high IFPA point standing CAN count for points because the standings are skill based?

The Tournament I've run hasn't given points for the "B" division because it excludes highly ranked/skilled players.

Just wondering if there can be an "official" clarification here.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from tullster:

I don't mean to rock the boat here, but you might be mistaken, or I've been given the wrong information...

So in a way you're saying that a "B" Division that doesn't allow players in because of their high IFPA point standing CAN count for points because the standings are skill based?

The Tournament I've run hasn't given points for the "B" division because it excludes highly ranked/skilled players.

I can officially clarify . . .

For "B" division tournaments, there is typically a pre-determined list of players that aren't allowed to compete. Typically it's based on not allowing players that have won a subset list of competitions to compete, or someone ranked higher than some WPPR rank to compete. That tournament is restricting specific players from competing based on skill. (Same goes for Womens/Juniors/Seniors divisions that also exclude a specific group of players from competing based on specific restrictions)

For the State Championship Series, the 16 players for each state can literally be ANYBODY. While the field is LIMITED (capped at 16 players), it's not RESTRICTED based on age, gender, race, skill, etc.

That's the biggest difference.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I can officially clarify . . .
    For "B" division tournaments, there is typically a pre-determined list of players that aren't allowed to compete. Typically it's based on not allowing players that have won a subset list of competitions to compete, or someone ranked higher than some WPPR rank to compete. That tournament is restricting specific players from competing based on skill. (Same goes for Womens/Juniors/Seniors divisions that also exclude a specific group of players from competing based on specific restrictions)
    For the State Championship Series, the 16 players for each state can literally be ANYBODY. While the field is LIMITED (capped at 16 players), it's not RESTRICTED based on age, gender, race, skill, etc.
    That's the biggest difference.

Ok, I understand. Thanks for clearing that up. Wishful thinking on my part.

#23 10 years ago

Just for clarification, can I run events that are limited to 16 players but not restricted and also have them be worth full point value?

That would open up ideas I have for other fun events that do not logistically run well with 40+ people (things like pinball crawls to local collections all in one day)

#24 10 years ago

If I make the cut I'll be playing, looking forward to it.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Just for clarification, can I run events that are limited to 16 players but not restricted and also have them be worth full point value?

That would open up ideas I have for other fun events that do not logistically run well with 40+ people.

Our current rules work that way, although we are currently testing adjusting the base value based on the number of players that participate (so this could lead to any tournament with limited numbers - including the State Championships - having a reduced base value based on the field size).

Assuming everyone on the planet has an equal opportunity to one of those 16 spots, it's currently not a problem.

#26 10 years ago

Thanks.

I assume "equal opportunity to one of those 16 spots" would be as simple as posting to the IFPA calendar and allowing registration to the limited # cap based on order of being signed up?

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I assume "equal opportunity to one of those 16 spots" would be as simple as posting to the IFPA calendar and allowing registration to the limited # cap based on order of being signed up?

You got it!

#28 10 years ago

I have a new goal to try and make this - although CA is a tough state!

#29 10 years ago

My son and I are playing in the Florida State Pinball Championships.

Looking forward to it

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

My son and I are playing in the Florida State Pinball Championships.

Now that's quality family time! Got my son into pinball it too late to make it this year. Still, great memories.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from tullster:

I chose poor wording. This bit:

"Closed events are where something other than your skill excludes you from the cut. E.G. seniors (no kids) and B/C at PAPA (many players specifically excluded by rule)"

...was supposed to mean 'something other than your inability to qualify.' Perhaps I should have written 'other than your lack of skill'

Exclusionary tourneys would include the 'you're too good' skill-based rules at B/C PAPA, which I described. The SCSs don't have any such rules - anyone can make an attempt to qualify by playing in state events. I think we're on the same page, just misunderstood.

#32 10 years ago

I'll be trying my luck in Missouri!

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

You looking at me?
    It's because I suck. Just going to as many tourneys as I can to try and get over being nervous. SCS is going to be a blast!

To be fair, I have no idea who's who on there. I just picked an example of obvious disparity as a point of discussion as to how things can be a little out of whack with "major" (I'm including 25 base point events that have been pushed to crazy numbers by large attendance..) events vs. periodic tourneys and "minor" events. I know I've beat this horse to death but a good case also is the nerf of the launch party events. If that hadn't happened, again, I'd be 4th in my state instead of 7th. I won a tourney much as if I had won *any other* tourney here locally, but yet the points are different. That has not ever, and will not ever, make any sense to me regardless of how many times Josh and Zach want to try and explain their logic behind it. I'm playing against the same number of people, in fact many times the SAME PEOPLE, but yet it's less points because it's a "launch party" or not on a weekend. WTF-ever.

And yeah, "losing my nerve" is probably my biggest weakness at a tourney aside from the fact that once I get in a funk, I can't ever seem to get back out. I'm very boom-or-bust....if I have a good run, I'm usually doing REALLY good, and if I have a bad run, I'm wanting to punch some lockdown bars.

Quoted from ifpapinball:

Our current rules work that way, although we are currently testing adjusting the base value based on the number of players that participate (so this could lead to any tournament with limited numbers - including the State Championships - having a reduced base value based on the field size).

Why? Because majors @ 50 base points, and all the added points of the Top 100 showing up to big 25 point events aren't already skewing overall ranks enough? I was already planning on probably not going out of my way to participate in every tourney I can this next year because of the launch party nerf, and because I'd like to just kick back and have some fun for a change. Even in a market like Dallas where we have a fairly large pool of players, it's almost impossible to get more than ~16 people to show up for any given event, and that's been with FREE TOURNAMENTS. Any idea about how many people you're going to require for full point value?

I'd love to see a data mine of league and 25 base point tourneys and see what the "average" turnout actually is in several locales. Would be fun to use like Google Maps and do a "heat map" type chart of the data.

#34 10 years ago

Great ideas Frax!

Side note > I will not be going to the WI SCS > If Ken is bad then I am awful as I have played in 10 events and will likely not qualify

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Great ideas Frax!
    Side note > I will not be going to the WI SCS > If Ken is bad then I am awful as I have played in 10 events and will likely not qualify

Doh! Well, as I found out this year, just having the opportunity to attend a lot of events seems to be the biggest hurdle for most people. I know the top echelon will probably laugh at it, but I feel like I really had to work my butt off this year to even get what I got in TX, and I still only ended up 7th... but I'm getting less of that "omg, I have to play THIS GUY or THAT GUY and they're WAY BETTER THAN ME!" feeling at each tourney, which is good. I think what's really separating out the wheat from the chaff as far as IFPA goes (aside from having the money and time to travel) is the ability to maintain an even kilter throughout a tourney regardless of how one ball may turn out... you've got to be able to come back and focus, and that's just not something I'm very good at.

I'll be pretty happy if I can sit in the mid 200's at some point...I don't think I'll ever get much higher than that because of time/money. I want to go to Pinburg in 2015.... going to make a point of it, even if I have to sell a game to do it, I think.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Why? Because majors @ 50 base points, and all the added points of the Top 100 showing up to big 25 point events aren't already skewing overall ranks enough? I was already planning on probably not going out of my way to participate in every tourney I can this next year because of the launch party nerf, and because I'd like to just kick back and have some fun for a change. Even in a market like Dallas where we have a fairly large pool of players, it's almost impossible to get more than ~16 people to show up for any given event, and that's been with FREE TOURNAMENTS. Any idea about how many people you're going to require for full point value?

Josh - I know between the launch party change and weekday rule that we've probably pushed you out of competing in IFPA endorsed events in the future. We're pleased that you're sticking it out and supporting the IFPA by attending the Texas State Championship.

Every change we make (and will continue to make) is always intended to be for the 'greater good' of the integrity of the rankings, knowing full well that anytime we make a change where someone moves up in the rankings, there's an equal number of players negatively impacted by the change and moving down the rankings.

If we allow the WPPR system to be exploited by organizers taking advantage of the current rules, then it will ultimately lead to the demise of the system. IMO all sports continuously evaluate their rules and rankings systems to try and make things better as new issues arise.

We're running simulations using 25 players and 32 players for tournaments to receive full base value (25 players meaning a tournament would get 1 point per player, up to 25 players, and then full value for any count higher than that). Besides worrying about areas around you that draw ~16 players, we have complete countries where they are lucky to draw double-digit counts of players. These are all things we have to balance, which is why most of our changes endure months of testing and tweaking until we feel like it's the best balanced decision for the sport.

We're also trying to incorporate a reduction in base value based on the format of the event, so if you win a tournament that consisted of playing a game 'one time', it's worth far less compared to a tournament with multiple game qualifying + finals. The more data used to determine the winner would lead towards a higher base value. As you can imagine this is a much harder task to try and quantify.

#37 10 years ago

The changes haven't pushed me out...yet... I just want some more free time and to not burn all my vacation days attending tournaments. So I guess technically the weekend thing is the larger impact for me. I choose to work Sundays because I get paid 4 hours of pay for nothing more than showing up on sunday...in our building of 150 people, literally FIVE people got saturday off without having to also be off on sunday the last time they set our shifts, just to give you an idea. Ugh.

I'm not really interested in "moving up" or "Moving down" because of this specific change... I'm concerned that it will severely gimp my ability to earn WPPRs in any meaningful way, particularly over the next three years if the change is *not* retroactive (because it would be hard to get full point value and thus harder to improve my existing WPPR results that haven't depreciated), and will EXTREMELY cripple my ability to qualify for SCS because of our more casual playerbase in Dallas.

I just don't get how you can possibly balance it to that many players and have it remain fair for anyone but the top 3 'markets' for tournaments. Again, would need to see that data mined data to be certain, but I would guess the VAST majority of tourneys aren't pulling 32 people, much less 25. I thought the whole point of attending larger 25 base point tourneys was that all those people are adding to the point pool available. Compare our local 16 player events that usually end up with 28 points available versus say...Pinburgh, which this year, the winner got *82* points. Are you going to then remove or substantially lessen the impact of ranked players adding additional points to the base to offset the fact that many areas just can't muster 25-32 people for a tourney? Or remove the penalty of holding an event on a weekday?

Still failing to see how this was exploitable to start with, seeing as how the +points value over base is determined by the people actually attending the tourney....better people, more points. More people more points. Are the top 16 holding their own 'limited' tournaments amongst themselves to farm points? And if they were (lol) then why would that not be addressed but instead punish the whole system. I suspect that you guys are taking the "MMO game developer stance" which is to say "Hey, we fixed an issue we saw, but we're not going to tell you what it was, or how the exploit was done, because it might give someone naughty ideas".....and to a moderate degree, I can understand that.

I know this is probably enough to make most people clench up "down there" but have you guys ever considered just hitting the reset button at some point due to all of these changes? Just say "okay, we're doing this, but next year, we're wiping the slate clean."

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I just don't get how you can possibly balance it to that many players and have it remain fair for anyone but the top 3 'markets' for tournaments. Again, would need to see that data mined data to be certain, but I would guess the VAST majority of tourneys aren't pulling 32 people, much less 25. I thought the whole point of attending larger 25 base point tourneys was that all those people are adding to the point pool available. Compare our local 16 player events that usually end up with 28 points available versus say...Pinburgh, which this year, the winner got *82* points. Are you going to then remove or substantially lessen the impact of ranked players adding additional points to the base to offset the fact that many areas just can't muster 25-32 people for a tourney? Or remove the penalty of holding an event on a weekday?

It's certainly a tough task to balance, but in order to try and help build up competitive pinball in these lesser developed countries, we have to focus on making sure there is interest in the system from those outside the top 3 markets. Prior versions of the WPPR system have had large player bases from countries opt out of even being ranked because of how much it simply favored the US over everyone else.

You're welcome to see any data you would like if you have any ideas for how to improve the system. I'm not too computer savvy but I can export a giant excel file will all sorts of excellent data to play with.

Quoted from Frax:

I know this is probably enough to make most people clench up "down there" but have you guys ever considered just hitting the reset button at some point due to all of these changes? Just say "okay, we're doing this, but next year, we're wiping the slate clean."

The SCS is done exactly this way. The slate is wiped clean for 2014 and will be based only on the changes that are implemented for the 2014 season. Because of the 3-year rolling period of the rankings, it's important to us that the prior 2 years of data are being compared in a similar manner to current rules for determining a players world ranking.

If all of these changes during the year ultimately had an impact of moving you from 4th to 7th in Texas, that's not something we would consider a big material change. Had you moved from 4th to 57th . . . those are the kind of changes we try and investigate why/how it's happening.

#39 10 years ago

I'll just chime in and say that I'm a big fan of the ifpa method. Trying to work my way up the state rankings has been a lot of fun, and a much more attainable goal than trying to get up there in the world rankings.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from Spraynard:

I'll just chime in and say that I'm a big fan of the ifpa method. Trying to work my way up the state rankings has been a lot of fun, and a much more attainable goal than trying to get up there in the world rankings.

That was definitely the motivation behind the creation of the SCS. With the World Championship there's only 64 spots (really 63 spots) to go around for the entire planet. For the SCS there's nearly 450 spots for just US players. With that many spots spread across the country, it allows us to reward a much deeper player base than just the top 50/100 guy.

We'll have to wait and see how all of these finals work out before we actually make the decision to do it again . . . but all signs point to a big thumbs up!

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Because majors @ 50 base points, and all the added points of the Top 100 showing up to big 25 point events aren't already skewing overall ranks enough? I was already planning on probably not going out of my way to participate in every tourney I can this next year because of the launch party nerf, and because I'd like to just kick back and have some fun for a change. Even in a market like Dallas where we have a fairly large pool of players, it's almost impossible to get more than ~16 people to show up for any given event, and that's been with FREE TOURNAMENTS. Any idea about how many people you're going to require for full point value?
    I'd love to see a data mine of league and 25 base point tourneys and see what the "average" turnout actually is in several locales. Would be fun to use like Google Maps and do a "heat map" type chart of the data.

A recent example: two tournaments were held in Texas the weekend of December 7. The PAPA Circuit event at Pinballz Arcade had 47 players, including 10 of the top 100 players in the IFPA rankings, and first place was worth 41.38 pointz. The same weekend, an event in Keller, TX had 8 players, none in the top 100, and first place was worth 26.17.

What's more difficult, fourth in a 47-player event with many top players, or first in an 8-player event? According to the current IFPA point format, first place in the 8-player event is worth more.

This doesn't seem like a good idea for a system whose purpose is to rank players, though it definitely provides an incentive for people to make their own events.

#42 10 years ago

Looks like I qualified in Georgia here, by the skin of my teeth.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

According to the current IFPA point format, first place in the 8-player event is worth more.
    This doesn't seem like a good idea for a system whose purpose is to rank players, though it definitely provides an incentive for people to make their own events.

Whaaaaat? You mean the same organization that has Pinburgh as a minor event?

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

That is a good point. It is likely exceedingly difficult to meet both the constraints of the need to evenly rank players and incentive for people to actually make/host/run more events.

Given your TX example, I would think the current rules alone would help to equalize the difficulty as people have a choice. Seems like if an individual thinks they have a better shot at winning in the 8 person tourney and netting more points then they could always choose to play that one rather than the 47 player event?

I actually like the current point system and think a primary goal should be to get more events hosted.

I think the extra points added to the base for more people works pretty well. Many of the top 100 people need more than 25 base points so by them not attending the 8 person event, it likely provided an opportunity for other less skilled people to have some fun and get some points.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

A recent example: two tournaments were held in Texas the weekend of December 7. The PAPA Circuit event at Pinballz Arcade had 47 players, including 10 of the top 100 players in the IFPA rankings, and first place was worth 41.38 pointz. The same weekend, an event in Keller, TX had 8 players, none in the top 100, and first place was worth 26.17.

What's more difficult, fourth in a 47-player event with many top players, or first in an 8-player event? According to the current IFPA point format, first place in the 8-player event is worth more.

Bowen - It's no secret you've had issues with the methods to our "website points" madness of trying to rank players accurately, while at the same time giving incentive for people to create events and grow the sport to make it more accessible to more players.

It's an act we've been trying to balance for nearly 8 years, and it only continues to get more challenging as the active player base continues to increase and get interested in the rankings.

The big issue for us to work out is how far to move that line in trying to answer that exact question:

"What's more difficult, fourth in a 47-player event with many top players, or first in an 8-player event?"

Is it as simple as the 8-player event gets a base value of 8 (based on 25 players for full base), so Josh now gets 18.17 points for 1st?

Then the question changes to:

"What's more difficult, fifth in a 47-player event with many top players, or first in an 8-player event?"

If you have any suggestions as to how you would answer that question . . . I'd love to hear your thoughts. It's clear from your comments that we're not even close to a 1st place value for the event Josh played in that you feel is fair.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from sk8ball:

Whaaaaat? You mean the same organization that has Pinburgh as a minor event?

Wait 10 more days . . . and it'll be retroactive so you can jump back ahead of ZAC

#47 10 years ago

I will say that if you start handicapping smaller events dramatically then that will be less incentive to try and help grow the sport and host more events.

There is a fine line and I can see the desire from highly ranked players to have caps put on events with fewer people playing them, but burn your hosts and it all becomes a moot point.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I will say that if you start handicapping smaller events dramatically then that will be less incentive to try and help grow the sport and host more events.

There is a fine line and I can see the desire from highly ranked players to have caps put on events with fewer people playing them, but burn your hosts and it all becomes a moot point.

Hilton - That's precisely why I'm interested in Bowen's answer to his own question on the value for those two tournaments. He's a far smarter man than I when it comes to math 'stuff', so maybe he has the answer that more closely finds that line of fairness for rankings and motivating organizers to host events.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Depends on the format of the tournament. Which Josh/Zach (Which one is posting here? I can't keep track LOL) said they were also looking into as an alteration factor... I think I'd actually support that more than by number of players. I'd love for double elim tournaments to be worth more than pump and dump, and for pump and dump to be worth the least of anything since it promotes wealth over consistent skill...but probably won't get that wish granted.

Using your same example Bowen, shouldn't Pinburgh, with 389 players, be worth more than just about any tournament on the planet, regarless of the IFPA rank of who's participating? Format's got to be taken into account as much as I hate to admit it.

For the record, and full dislosure, since you guys may not know.. (I'm pretty sure Josh Sharpe knows...at least...given our little exchange on Facebook.) but I'm the one that won the Keller tournament.. I'm trying to be a little bit more understanding and positive since I'm not actively going to have as much skin in the game this next year, I think, maybe it'll be a bit easier for me to take a step back and not be so personally "afflicted" when it comes to changes. I'll admit the Keller tournament was a bit of an abberation in regards to difficulty to win vs. points department, but I'm not really willing to say that I have had any benefit that *any other player* participating in IFPA over the same period I have (2.5 years approx) has not had access to as well.

I don't think you can change the system effectively using just one of these two metrics. And using either is gonna cause a lot of pissing and moaning. I'm sure there's players out there that love pump and dump and would be ticked off if it was reduced in value. I can think of one person specifically I watched drain a TON of tickets on qualifying on EM's at TPF.

#50 10 years ago

Oh, and I'd love to take you up on the spreadsheet thing. I'm not sure I'm smart enought to parse it myself either, but I know some smart people.

There are 643 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-state-champs-club-whos-going and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.