Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 306 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by shimoda
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

OWY_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).png
    pinconf_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jdawg4422.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Tell me why it's fair that you should be forced to choose traveling to Bowling Green, KY in this situation.

whats the name of the tourney? Isnt it called state championships? So wouldnt it be you have to play in your state?

What you are trying to say is the same thing if you wanted to compete in the olympics, say i want to compete in a sport that mexico sucks at in the olympics. Can i go to mexico and compete for them since i have a better shot at making the team? (I am the number 1 person there for the sport and 16th in USA and im 1474 miles from mexico city but 2396 from new york.) no because it is a country specific thing. just as the state championships are state specific.

The IFPA state championships are the closest thing pinball has to the olympics. So would that be fair for someone to do in the olympics.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

What isn't fair about that?

so state championships should have nothing to do with people that live in the state? If its a NV state championship and someone from california that only went to nevada twice all year wins the tournament then it wasnt a state championship in my opinion. Maybe just do zones if the state lines are too hard to enforce but i dont see why it would be.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I prefer to deal with the reality of what is actually happening in the registration process, and not the what could happen type of scenarios. The reality I'm seeing is that more often than not, these SCS fields are being made up of the players you are concerned about protecting already. By more often than not, I'm not talking 51% . . . I'm talking easily 90%+.

In the top 16 in FL there are 7 people from FL, 2 people unkown, and 7 people from out of state. Thats no where near 90%+.

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Maybe it should be called "Championship of pinball tournaments held in Arizona"?

that would make a lot more sense. When i was in high school and went to the "State championships" i only played against other teams from my state.

What "State Championships" in any sport is open to other states? Maybe it happens but not in anything ive ever played to my knowledge.

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

He said the "SCS fields"

doesn't that mean the top 16? As of right now we have no idea who is and isnt playing?

So atleast 7 people that dont live in FL got an invite to the FL state championships. Maybe 9 depending on where the other two unknowns live. They should be skipped right over and given the top 16 in FL the chance to play for the FL state championship.

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I don't see where the name SCS means people that live in the state.

Doesnt SCS mean "State Championship ..."? what does a state championship mean to you? What other state championships are open to other states?

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Every one of those 16 players competing for the right to be crowned the Florida State Champion is from Florida. There's literally a 0% chance the winner comes from out of state.

was going off info i had. if you want to get technical then texas has less than 90%+ as 2 people are playing from out of state and 2 are unknown.

So how is that fair to the texas people who now have to play the 40th ranked person when the best person in texas is only ranked at 58th.

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

"The IFPA is proud to present the IFPA State Championship Series. The IFPA will be tracking the WPPR performance of players by results from each state within the US. At the end of each calendar year, the top 16 players with the most WPPR points from each state will qualify for that state’s IFPA State Championship."

so how is it state championships if you dont have to live in the state??

In that case you should be able to qualify for all the state tourneys and play in them all. Says nothing about that in your statement. From your first statement this would be allowed.

Maybe if you had to declare what state you are in the running for at beginning of the year. That would solve the distance problems and also solve the cherry pickers that qualify for multiple states and cherry pick the easiest tourney in their mind. You should never be able to qualify for 2 state championships.

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Actually Mark Meserve I believe is from Austin . . . so we're at a 94% success rate for Texas . . . NEXT!

Actually i was talking about bob from cali and steve from new york.... so we are back to less than 90%+ rate for Texas unless you have bad info out there going straight from your site.... NEXT

Quoted from ifpapinball:

What wouldn't be fair is if Bob worked all year in Texas, didn't qualify anywhere else, and then was forced to sit out the SCS.

Make him pick his state at the beginning of the year is the only fair way. It isnt fair for others to have one person qualify for 20 different STATE tournaments.

#139 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

He's 5th because of my 'unofficial' communication with the players on the IL SCS list (sounds like the group I contacted was a lot more forthcoming with their SCS intentions then you were . . . maybe next time you should ask nicer?)

WTF? So you get special considerations because you are running it people will answer you and you get that info for your records but others cant do the same thing because they dont have the influence you do? Has nothing to do with asking nicer it has to do with how much influence you have.

Also the whole you just need to hold more events actually has a very bad impact on state championships. Like in WI you say they just made many more events to lock the out of staters out. Well you are no longer getting the top 16 in the state anymore, you are getting the people who have more free time to drive around to all the events all over the state. The top 5 will more than likely still be there but after that it is just who has more free time to attend a pinball tourney every week.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jdawg4422.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-scs-eligibility-should-be-changed?tu=jdawg4422 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.