3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 306 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by shimoda
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

OWY_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).png
    pinconf_(resized).png

There are 306 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
    #251 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

If we go with a regional league here in the Tristate area, we'd be even less inclined to drive/deal with anything north of I70. This is just a situation where the state borders do not serve us well. Chuckwurt is looking at creating an NKY league, and we have a few location-based tournaments starting up locally,, so I'd expect even less incentive to travel...
    Question: Cincy league declares for Ohio SCS points. So far all our matches have been held in Ohio. If a cincy league member who lives in NKY wants to host a league session, would the points still count for OH as they normally would? The league is submitted as one entry so would be hard to split results. What is the verbage on this... is the requirement simply to have the majority of sessions in the proper state, or is it not allowed to cross state lines for local leagues?

Leagues that have "activity" across multiple states count for the SCS in all the states where there was activity.

If there was a Cincy league for example that had sessions in both Ohio and Kentucky, the results of that league would count towards both SCS standings (similar to the NEPL that counts in like 6 states out in New England).

#252 3 years ago

I thought the decision was made to have the points count wherever finals was held?

#253 3 years ago
    Quoted from EvanBingham:

I thought the decision was made to have the points count wherever finals was held?

For tournaments it's where finals are held.

For leagues it's still based on wherever that league season has play over the course of those sessions.

#254 3 years ago
    Quoted from EvanBingham:

I've heard this from multiple people over the last few weeks. The change you're thinking of applies only to tournaments with qualifying in multiple states. (Not leagues)

#255 3 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Leagues that have "activity" across multiple states count for the SCS in all the states where there was activity.
    If there was a Cincy league for example that had sessions in both Ohio and Kentucky, the results of that league would count towards both SCS standings (similar to the NEPL that counts in like 6 states out in New England).

Sounds reasonable. How do you divide the results... do you count how many league events were held in each state and split proportionally?

#256 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Sounds reasonable. How do you divide the results... do you count how many league events were held in each state and split proportionally?

Leagues can't submit individual events any longer. Leagues can only submit results at the end of a season.

There's no dividing of any results. That season counts 'in full' in every state where the league had activity for that particular season.

#257 3 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Leagues can't submit individual events any longer. Leagues can only submit results at the end of a season.
    There's no dividing of any results. That season counts 'in full' in every state where the league had activity for that particular season.

Yep, I knew the leagues are counted as one item, but did not realize it'd count in each state fully. Looks like we should have at least one session in NKY next year, in that case

#258 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Yep, I knew the leagues are counted as one item, but did not realize it'd count in each state fully. Looks like we should have at least one session in NKY next year, in that case

Now you're cookin with gas

#259 3 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

And I got to play Bob Matthews in TX and stopped him from taking home ours. 42nd vs 150th IFPA....150th wins. I was really stoked for the opportunity to play directly against Bob and still the highlight of the day for me earning that chance, going through two people that consistently beat me to get to him.
    Colin MacAlpine was down 3-1 in our finals against me, and then steps up to Tron and goes to Portal on the first ball to the tune of 140 million. That was just fate for him to have a massive comeback after that...he took first. I'm not ashamed. We went the full 7 games, and we each had one big blowout against the other (I had a 141 million ball one on BDK..heh. .

I'll add to what Frax said. I host and run every event here in CT. No other place to or other people who want to be in charge besides my co TD despite our very large turnouts. I try to run as much as I can and will be running even more this year (hoping around 20 solid meaningful events)

We get many of the great NY players coming here to play. Especially those who hated the super league. This year we had 4 out of 16 players from NY/NJ area including Jerry Bernard who's ranked 35th in the world and Bruce Nightingale (around 300)

My friend Nick (ranked 1635) and myself (535) fought and knocked out Jerry and Bruce respectively to make it an all CT finals. We had a blast battling it out and were thrilled to have a CT player take home the championship regardless.

We love having the NY players here and they love coming here. I'd never think in a minute to shun them from playing our SCS. Jerry was our champion last year and I loved it. Having them here this year and being able to take the win this year myself made it feel even better to hold the title.

-Jim

#260 3 years ago

In the DC/MD/VA area we had a DC resident win DC, a VA resident win VA and a MD resident win MD.

#261 3 years ago

Shimoda,

If anyone should be upset it should be me. I was first alternate. You at least got to play.

It actually worked out because my wife would have killed me if I wasted a Saturday of a long weekend with Valentine's Day playing pinball.

Who is the idiot that scheduled this weekend for the finals? Ok your probably not an idiot but you don't have a spouse who gets federal holidays off. (So keep it in mind for next year)

#262 3 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Who is the idiot that scheduled this weekend for the finals? Ok your probably not an idiot but you don't have a spouse who gets federal holidays off. (So keep it in mind for next year)

Who celebrates Valentines day for 3 days straight!

#263 3 years ago

"The Saturday after Super Bowl Sunday" has always been our plan . . . as an homage to when the original PAPA World Championships were always held.

First year for the SCS, Super Bowl XLVIII was held February 2nd.

Second year for the SCS, Super Bowl XLIX was held February 1st.

This third year for the SCS, Super Bowl XL was held February 7th.

I blame the NFL!

I believe that the NFL's plan is to always hold the Super Bowl on the first Sunday of February, which makes the 7th the absolute latest day it'll be held (which in turn makes February 13th the latest day that SCS day will happen).

*our plan will officially blow up in 2018 anyway when my work trade show moves from mid-March back to February 28th, which will make Nationals March 1st. While giving everyone 2 weeks to get plans together to get to Vegas sounds fun, we'll probably be forced to move back SCS day to earlier in January. Details coming much much later.

#264 3 years ago

Shimoda,
    If anyone should be upset it should be me. I was first alternate. You at least got to play.
    It actually worked out because my wife would have killed me if I wasted a Saturday of a long weekend with Valentine's Day playing pinball.

I'm not upset about any of this. I am simply suggesting that I disagree with the current way the SCS qualifying works and posted this thread to see that discussed. I am glad I got to play and it was my best performance at any tournament. I'm certain no one expected me to be in the finals but now that I've gotten through to that part of a tournament I'm ready for more. I would like to see a state championship that represents the players in that state but SCS will not always be that, though I think in most cases it will be. As short a time as I've been playing I'm very happy to play at such a competitive level. There was a lot of great pinball going on all day and it was a long day. 11 til about 7:30 to wrap it up. I played 23 competitive games and fell short by two wins. Next time.

#265 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

This is huge Larry. We need to do this for sure. I need more games stat. Haha.

#266 3 years ago

We can always augment by filling your garage for the event I can host at least one NKY league session so y'all can get Ohio points, in case anyone's wanting them.

#267 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

We can always augment by filling your garage for the event I can host at least one NKY league session so y'all can get Ohio points, in case anyone's wanting them.

Haha. Great. We can talk more soon, but that would be amazing to have one NKY league session at your place. I'll keep you posted.

#268 3 years ago

While the SCS was created with the interest of the players in mind, the bigger picture has always been about using the SCS as a tool to help promote the awareness of competitive pinball across the country. This year has been the best yet, with millions of media impressions generated across all the various media outlets run all over the US.

A full list of media pieces can be found at:

http://www.ifpapinball.com/2015-16media

Print:
    Las Vegas Informer – Nevada State Pinball Championship
    The State – The gathering of wizards: Pinball champions go flipper to flipper in Columbia
    The Middletown Press – Pinball championship to offer full-tilt action for Middletown man
    Detroit Free Press – A few minutes with . . . a guy you can call a pinhead
    Pittsburgh Tribune – Hot Ticket: International Flipper Pinball Association Pennsylvania State Championship
    Rhode Island News – Pinball fills a blank for semi-retired Lantagne
    Providence Journal – Pinball wizards at full tilt in R.I. championship
    Portland Press Herald – Maine’s pinball wizards show they’re on the ball
    Boston Globe – Pinball wizards bring intensity at state championships
    Pittsburgh City Paper – Pinball Wizards Visit Tomorrow for the Third Annual IFPA State Championship series
    Boulder Daily Camera – Lyons resident helped spur pinball’s rebirth in Boulder County and Colorado
    Free Times: South Carolina – Ballers of a Different Breed

Video:
    FOX 44 Vermont – Darin’ Erin: Pinball vs. 2015 Vermont State Champion
    CBS 3 Madison – Madison to host state pinball championships
    CBS 18 Lafayette – Pinball wizards go to head to head in state championships
    ABC 11 Louisville – Gamers compete for state pinball championship
    ABC 9 Manchester – Gamers gather for Pinball State Championship Saturday
    NBC 6 Portland – Maine Pinball Champion crowned
    CBS 4 Minneapolis – Flippers Fly At Minnesota Competitive Pinball Championship
    KTVK Phoenix – Pinball wizards hone their craft as they prep for championship
    CBS 3 Burlington – How to play pinball like a pro
    NBC 15 Madison – Jackpot! State Pinball contest to be held in Madison
    Student Gamecock Television – Monday Night Mashup: February 1st, 2016 | SGTV News 4

Radio:
    CBC News Nova Scotia – Pinball wizards celebrate classic game in Halifax league
    750AM The Game Portland – Greg Dunlap talks IFPA Oregon State Pinball Championship (20 minute mark)

#269 3 years ago

Madison actually had 4 seperate video pieces and 2 print pieces

#270 3 years ago

I posted some pics of the VA SCS on Instagram.

#271 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Madison actually had 4 seperate video pieces and 2 print pieces

Can you send me the links I'm missing Hilton?

Zach and I have been trying our best to keep track . . . that's been unusually and awesomely difficult this year

#272 3 years ago

So wait, now leagues can count for multiple states? SLAP here in St. Louis moved around ever week the first session or two, 5 years ago. We'd play one week at the Silver Ballroom in St. Louis, Then one at CP Pinball in Illinois, Then one at the 3rd rail south of St. Louis.

If we went back to alternating between say the Silver Ballroom and CP, we'd get points for both Missouri and Illinois? That just seems wrong. I mean if that's the case, someone needs to start up the 4 corners pinball league and hold tournaments at the national park lol.

I really don't think you northern Illinois guys would be happy if we started crossing borders here lol. Hell, I think the lowest qualifier in Missouri was around 35 points. We have a lot of events down here and we turn out the players. We have 62 in this session at the silver ballroom in just normal league. Heck if we did a weekly like Add-A-Ball in Seattle does, Yall in Chicago would be driving a lot or playing in a different state., We know how to point whore down here lol.

#273 3 years ago
    Quoted from GRR:

So wait, now leagues can count for multiple states? SLAP here in St. Louis moved around ever week the first session or two, 5 years ago. We'd play one week at the Silver Ballroom in St. Louis, Then one at CP Pinball in Illinois, Then one at the 3rd rail south of St. Louis.
    If we went back to alternating between say the Silver Ballroom and CP, we'd get points for both Missouri and Illinois? That just seems wrong. I mean if that's the case, someone needs to start up the 4 corners pinball league and hold tournaments at the national park lol.
    I really don't think you northern Illinois guys would be happy if we started crossing borders here lol. Hell, I think the lowest qualifier in Missouri was around 35 points. We have a lot of events down here and we turn out the players. We have 62 in this session at the silver ballroom in just normal league. Heck if we did a weekly like Add-A-Ball in Seattle does, Yall in Chicago would be driving a lot or playing in a different state., We know how to point whore down here lol.

Yes, if your league plays in multiple states you are awarded full WPPRs for every state in which an event was held.

#274 3 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I will dig them up when I get caught up this week. the 2 missing video segments are channel 15. They ran a 4pm segment, 5pm segment on friday and a morning segment on sat. All 3 segments were different.

#275 3 years ago
    Quoted from GRR:

I really don't think you northern Illinois guys would be happy if we started crossing borders here lol.

As a northern Illinois guy myself, I say BRING IT ON.

Worst case if you guys actually start to make an impact on the IL standings, we'll just run a crap ton more events.

(That's sort of the SCS goal - local communities one upping each other by running more and more events to be the group that captures most of those State spots)

#276 3 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

As a northern Illinois guy myself, I say BRING IT ON.
    Worst case if you guys actually start to make an impact on the IL standings, we'll just run a crap ton more events.
    (That's sort of the SCS goal - local communities one upping each other by running more and more events to be the group that captures most of those State spots)

the stress this puts on hosts and TDs to run more events takes a toll though. I liked it when I thought the purpose of the SCS was to actually bring together the best players that played events in the state.

#277 3 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Just to be clear that is not what is going on in WI. If anything it is the opposite. It is being done for the love of pinball. Madison is running more events independant of what happens elsewhere throughout the state. We are doing it because we personally want to support more pinball!

I know MKE and Appleton guys do it for the same reason. They like supporting pinball and the whole pinball experience.

It is not about 1 upping to capture state spots. It is about promoting pinball and having fun doing it.

granted as I have games on location I have an incentive to help provide what local players ask for and at this point it is more pinball!

#278 3 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

the stress this puts on hosts and TDs to run more events takes a toll though. I liked it when I thought the purpose of the SCS was to actually bring together the best players that played events in the state.

I consider it a healthy consequence.

Obviously at some point there's a saturation point to the number of events players can even support by playing, and hosts can support by organizing.

My statement was said mostly in jest regarding not being worried about any IL/MO cross state leagues

#279 3 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Obviously at some point there's a saturation point to the number of events players can even support by playing, and hosts can support by organizing.
    My statement was said mostly in jest regarding not being worried about any IL/MO cross state leagues

Well League probably wouldn't be scary, as all the Leagues here are the 10 week with 1 week playoff type. Winner usually earns around 25 points. so like 4 events a year. That could be handled by ya, but If we did like Seattle did, and we hold a weekly tournament where we can turn out 30-40 qualified players. Winners start making 15-25 points a win. with 52 chances to win, that's a lot of points.You don't even have to win consistently, just keep adding a point a week or so and you got 52 at years end.

#280 3 years ago
    Quoted from GRR:

Well League probably wouldn't be scary, as all the Leagues here are the 10 week with 1 week playoff type. Winner usually earns around 25 points. so like 4 events a year. That could be handled by ya, but If we did like Seattle did, and we hold a weekly tournament where we can turn out 30-40 qualified players. Winners start making 15-25 points a win. with 52 chances to win, that's a lot of points.You don't even have to win consistently, just keep adding a point a week or so and you got 52 at years end.

That's exactly why cross state LEAGUES count for both states, while cross state TOURNAMENTS are no longer handled that way.

If you can get 30-40 players to show up once a week consistently to a location, you SHOULD be doing that. That location would love you guys!

#281 3 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I figured there was snark in that comment.

#282 3 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

That's exactly why cross state LEAGUES count for both states, while cross state TOURNAMENTS are no longer handled that way.
    If you can get 30-40 players to show up once a week consistently to a location, you SHOULD be doing that. That location would love you guys!

Oh I'm sure the Silver Ballroom is happy that 62 people show up on Wednesdays for league. Heck we have to stagger start times even with 20 games there. Half the groups start at 7 and the upper half of groups at 8. The League has been consistently above 50 people for a while now, and Tournaments draw at least 30, and been closer to 40 the last few. Since Ian Taylor took over TD duties there, there's been more tournaments too. Think we squeezed in an extra 3 from October to December last year.

While that's great for St. Louis folks it does make it hard on say the Colombia, Mo, Springfield, MO, and KC crews. Colombia and Springfield both have their fair share of Leagues and Tournaments, but they don't have the player count we do. I still go to Colombia events to support my brothers and sisters out there, but even if you can win a tourney there(which isn't easy with Adam McKinnie there amongst others). That win is worth like 7 points, where as if you stay in St. Louis and place say 6th or so, you end up with around 4-6 points, a much easier task. That makes it hard for the Springfield and Colombia crews to compete. They have to travel 2-4 hours to St. Louis for points, which some of them do. The KC crew usually goes across the border to Kansas, though 4 of the did qualify in Missouri.

All that said, Springfield I believe is gonna up their event count, but we're still upping it in St. Louis. Due to player base, St. Louis will always win this war. Now, I'll go to Colombia cause it's not that far, but I've only made the 4 hour trek to Springfield once. The rest of the St. Louis base is the same. Maybe a handful will go to Colombia, and a handful to Springfield, but it's not enough to make those events in those towns worth the points to make it a worthwhile trip for the St. Louis crew. The Springfield and Colombia crews will travel to St. Louis because it's worth more than their local events and with them, makes them even better.

Upping event count does little if you don't have the players.

#283 3 years ago
    Quoted from GRR:

Upping event count does little if you don't have the players.

Totally agree here. You have to grow the player base and advertise locally to get new potential players interested.

Our monthly tournament in the Chicago suburbs averaged roughly 6-15 players per month last year. This year we moved venues, switched up the format to a Super League style format, and had 41 players in the first month. Instead of the winner getting 2 points for the month at Gameworks, the winner got over 24 points for the win at our new monthly for January. 12X WPPR jackpot!

#284 3 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

looked and cant find the added video links online, but I watched them so can confirm there were 3 news stories on channel 15

#285 3 years ago

I don't know why it's so hard to understand that if you restrict tournament participation in any way, it's not an IFPA tournament anymore.

#286 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I don't know why it's so hard to understand that if you restrict tournament participation in any way, it's not an IFPA tournament anymore.

but bars that are 21 and up only are ok for IFPA.

#287 3 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

but bars that are 21 and up only are ok for IFPA.

correct. If a bar has a restriction they still allow it.

#288 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Uh... aren't there women only IFPA tournaments?

#289 3 years ago
    Quoted from mattosborn:

Uh... aren't there women only IFPA tournaments?

There is ONE women's tournament a year. Hardly the exception that proves the rule.

#290 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

There is ONE women's tournament a year. Hardly the exception that proves the rule.

wait... there is actually an IFPA sanctioned event that is for 1 sex only?

#291 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I'm not trying to prove anything.... Just pointing out that you can't base an argument on absolutes (e.g. "restrict participation in any way") that are simply not true.
    And I'm sure there are more exceptions... some based on geographic borders, making them more relevant to this topic.

#292 3 years ago

The events that restrict based on sex, do not count for IFPA points. The ONLY restricted events that count for points are the 21 and over events. ANY other restriction causes the event to not have WPPR points involved. That includes the women's world championship.

#293 3 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

You get a championship that hopefully means something to the winner.
    If I didn't have much on my plate I would contact other cities to get involved with the goal of running a tournament made up of all the city winners.
    We would gladly endorse something like that if there was support from enough cities to want to get involved. It's just not on our corporate campaign to-do list.

That would be awesome.

#294 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

wait... there is actually an IFPA sanctioned event that is for 1 sex only?

http://www.ifpapinball.com/world-championships/womens/

#296 3 years ago

I think the competitive pinball scene would fall apart pretty quickly if we weren't allowed to have tournaments in bars.

#297 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I think the competitive pinball scene would fall apart pretty quickly if we weren't allowed to have tournaments in bars.

You can have competitive pinball without the IFPA. Frankly surprised to read that they sanction age restricted tournaments.

#298 3 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

You can have competitive pinball without the IFPA.

Yes but no, then you would have to start having cool prizes instead

#299 3 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

You can have competitive pinball without the IFPA. Frankly surprised to read that they sanction age restricted tournaments.

The tournament isn't restricted, the venue is.
    Some bars locally in Denver that are normally 21+ have made exception for larger pinball tourney players.
    Its not really the tournament limiting the field.

#300 3 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

The tournament isn't restricted, the venue is.

Curious what happens if the venue wants to restrict a specific person from entry for other reasons?

I used to host more events at my house but have not done so for a while due to a few disrespectful people in the past.

Will IFPA still sanction an event which has banned select people for behavioral reasons?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.99
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 15.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 19.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 89.99
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 18.95
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    There are 306 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside