IMG_2821 (resized).JPG
IMG_2805 (resized).JPG
DonationJar (resized).png
IMG_2797 (resized).PNG
IMG_4030 (resized).JPG
towelie_tough_guy (resized).jpg
towelie-no_you_are (resized).png
IMG_5752 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 7 years ago

WTF?

GREED!

Shame on your sharpe brothers!

I seriously thought this was an April Fools joke! Amazed that this is just another way for you and your buddies to line their pockets.

Please explain how this is good for competitive pinball.

I can do the simple math that we run ~48 events this year in Madison with an average attendance of 20 people. That would be a 960 fee required from the player base this year in order to have these events sponsored? Where is that money going exactly?

720 to the WI SCS champ? Screw that. I'm not paying in $50 prize pool for playing each year just so 4 possible winners can get a $720 pay check. I can assure you the player base of the majority wont pay this either. Also can assure you that a few TDs running private events will no longer host if you force them to pay in.

25% then to nationals pool.

Curious, how much money would this have netted you and Zach from this year if it was in place?

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Seems very reasonable to me. As long as I've known about ifpa, I've been amazed that it's free. It takes a of time, effort, and passion to hold something like that together.

yup, and the effort all builds off the dedication of the player base and TDs that put it all on.

Seems rather simple to just charge a one time annual player fee for anyone that wants to be ranked. With over 40k ranked people they could line their pockets with 200k each year from a $5 annual fee. At least then it would allow players to choose on an individual basis what to do.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

We don't look at it as encouraging/discouraging. If our 3500 events per year changes to 2000 non-endorsed events and 1500 endorsed events, the same amount of competitive pinball is being played. We're basically separately out a group of those events that wish to be endorsed and award WPPRs.

BS. You are pulling a greed move after a hadnful of dedicated people have worked hard to HELP you build the sport. You have done so without any contact to many of your most prominent TDs and supporters in the past years. This change is an obvious and direct ploy to help add to you and your brothers wallet.

Make a player or a location pay for IFPA sanctioning, LOL. the logistics of this are not even close to thought out.

You want TDs to collect $1 from each person playing in an event but still work to build the sport and bring in new people?
or you expect the location to pay for the fee?? again WTF?

I can give the example that a typical tournament brings a location $3-5 in play per person. take off taxes, split, game maintenance, insurance, and you are looking at a typical tournament making an operator $1-2 per player. now you want 50% of that and for what work exactly?

You maintain a website and run the nationals event at a crap location with poorly setup games and all based on your travel schedule, lol.

Good luck with this lead ballon.

Looks like it is time for the core group of state TDs in WI to talk about a new system to track players for free. I can damn well say if I am paying in any sort of participation fee, I am going to make sure it stays in state rather than funneling out to you and your national buddies.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

It's only a buck per player. Most of them are buying multiple $5-8 beers during the tournaments anyway. It will help make the SCS more interesting, and make nationals a bigger event. I'm in favor of it, though I agree that April 1 was very poor timing for the announcement. imho, Josh and Zach are beyond reproach. They spend a lot of volunteer time supporting our hobby.

so how many event have you run and what effort have you vested in helping build the sport the past years? Just curious as to where to couch this opinion?

As one of the most prolific TDs in the past 5 years in the entire midwest, I can tell you that you dont understand the dynamics of operating or running events.
If you think an operator can go to a bar owner and say "hey man, I am going to need $20 in order to run a tournament here you need to pay for it since you make so much off the beer" you are not experienced in this world.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

Serious question:
Do top players care about the prize money? Clearly no one minds winning money but is the prize pool really the motivating factor for participation?

more important quesiton:
Will casual players pay an extra $1 to play in a tournament just to fund the prize pool for a handful of people that are the best in the state and fund an even larger prize pool for the best in the nation?

#20 7 years ago

My thoughts on how to circumvent this, is that the main state players in each state can just organize together and decide they wont be paying in any fees for any events.

A few of us can work together to build our own state rankings and then if players want to determine whom goes to nationals, we run 1 end of year event where we pay in $16 to IFPA and the winner goes to nationals.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I've never run an event. Obviously, that doesn't mean I can't voice a valid opinion. I have attended my fair share of tournaments. I appreciate all the hard work the TDs do. You all deserve lots of credit. $1 is a minimal fee. Just take it from the prize pool if you don't want to ask the venue. Most of our tournaments are $5 entry anyway. Nobody's really showing up because of the prize money. I think the WPPRs are a bigger draw than the prize money, at least for most players.

In WI, there are 4 events each year that have an entry fee and pay out prizes.

Over 90% are free to play besides coin drop. Prize pools are not what people play for and what has built the sport up to be such a fun thing is the LACK of cash involved.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

Growing up, my grandpa told me that the quickest way to ruin a good thing is to get money involved.

Dont worry Eric.

You, Tom, Tully, Paul, DD, etc need to all get together at MGC next weekend and discuss a plan forward. I think we can come to a consensus on our path forward for WI competitive pinball and still keep things plenty of fun and growing on our own level.

We have 7 months to reverse engineer the algorithm. If things work out well then maybe we can help a few other states and show them what we have.

#25 7 years ago

Keep in mind that this also puts a bias against states that run more events with more players.

the more prolific competitive states are by default paying more to play and send a player to Nationals, than a state with only 1 event.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

If the location sponsors the endorsement fee, there's no expense to the players.

not going to happen, but since you dont own games in public, dont operate, and actually dont even run many public events... I would not expect you to know that. Shame that you did not reach out to talk with some poepl with more experience in this arena..

Quoted from ifpapinball:

If the 'winners' of the event fund the endorsement fee out of the pot, then it's the top players that end up deferring some of their winnings for a chance to win it later on. Again, casual players see no impact.

20 average players per event in WI and no prize pool for 95% of them. Again not gonna happen. "Hey buddy congrats. you just won the event, but if you want this to get IFPA sanctioning then you have to pay them $20" Another lead ballon there Josh.

Quoted from ifpapinball:

If the TD charges an EXTRA $1 per participant for the event, then yes it becomes the masses funding the top players.

Again, not going to happen. Aside from being a real slap in the face to all the new comers we have tried to welcome in, this is a logistical nightmare. TDs expected to collect an extra buck form each player and then send it to you to collect interest and furthe pad your bank account for the year? Nope. What happens when someone decides not to pay? Winner have to cover it? Location? TD?
I am beginning to see you really did not think this out very well.

Quoted from ifpapinball:

If a TD allows players to opt out that aren't interested then that player won't be impacted.

so if everyone opts out, whom pays for the event to be sanctioned? If only the winner pays $1 does that mean they get .5 points for winning and all good?

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Correct. The TD would submit the results into us a 1 player tournament, owe the IFPA $1.
That one player would be crowned the WI SCS champ, win $.75 and get to attend nationals to compete for more prize money.
#exploited
(Actually you need at least two events to qualify for SCS, so that would be $2, but you're on the right path. We then only have two results that need reviewing and approval on our side. WIN-WIN!)

I need to talk with a few other WI based TDs, but sounds like if you move forward as currently written, WI is off the map for 2018 events.
I am sure you may get a few TDs that opt to pay to play with your new game, but the majority wont.

I have gotten messages from the 3 most prolific already this morning and sounds like they all want to go a new direction. This is not just "see if Hilton was right" I am just the vocal prick that has not troubles calling this as what it is, a money grab.

If you want to help convince us other wise, please share some data:

1. In 2016, what would have been the total amount paid in to IFPA fro WI based events if you assume ALL events paid to play?
2. What does that make the SCS prize pool? What does that make the amount funneled to Nationals for your brother to win (or in this case 2nd place; yes we already established you are not good enough to beat him)
3. What is the amount that would have been paid in by the top 10 players in WI in 2016?
4. What is the run down of total amount provided to nationals from each state in 2016 if this had been in effect and 100% participation?
5. What happens to all the interest from this IFPA account that would be quite large and growing throughout the year?
6. Any amount used for administrative costs?
7. Will states now get representation in IFPA decisions since there is taxation?

#47 7 years ago

I am waiting to hear the actual numbers from Josh.

Let's use 2016 and assume 100% participation form all events.

How much money would WI have brought in and then donates to WI SCS and Nationals?
Heck, give us the run down of money that would have been donated by every state to Nationals.

Right now, my biggest issue is that this is a logistical nightmare and also goes against the building of the community around competitive pinball. Second issue is that a state with 1 event still gets to send 1 player to nationals that could win the whole pot which is funded largely by other states that run hundreds of events. Makes more sense to set a set fee to participate in nationals. If a state sends a player, they pay the set fee rather than a percentage of total money brought in. This current manner incentivizes TDs to run fewer sanctioned events, not more.

Seems like a much easier and fair way is to charge each player an annual IFPA membership fee. $5 tracks your rankings for the year and your rankings only count after you have paid the fee; due on Jan 1st (or within 10 days of your first tournament being played).

Hell, if you are smart you will provide added features for profiles for more funds.

I totally get the desire to make more money for the elite that win these events, but this is the wrong way to do it.

Do it right and you can even get enough funds to invest and grow a steady bolus to start off each year.

#51 7 years ago

Just ran some quick math and through the first 3 months of the year in 2017, WI would have brought in ~$600 already.

Since the next 9months there will be even more events and larger events, we can take a random stab that ~$3000 would come in fr0m WI alone in 2017.

at 25% donated to nationals, that means WI would be donating $750 to send a player to Nationals. F that!

you get all 50 states in and get them that involved and you are talking over 30k in prize pool for the same elite group (with the ocassional new to the scene guy).

What does that payout structure look like Josh? 12k to First? 8k to second?

Just curious since people are saying you and your brother wont make any money off this money grab...

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Wisconsin pool was $2598 . . . $1948 went to WI SCS, $650 to Nationals.

Here would have been the payouts for the top 16 State finalists (which will be a mandatory payout structure for all states):

1st - $584.61
2nd - $350.76
3rd - $233.84
4th - $155.90
5th through 8th - $77.95 each
9th through 16th - $38.97 each

again, so 2598 player entries in order to give cash to the top 16 people. Then WI pays another $650 to nationals for more money to the elite.

What would the Nationals payout structure have been?

Sorry but in principle this is all obviously a way to make other pay for the prize pool of the elite.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Nationals payout structure would actually not change much at the top at all. Our plan would be to pay ALL SPOTS (versus the top 8 we do now), so even the person finishing in last place gets some of their travel expenses paid for by attending.

give us the 2016 nationals payout then, with 100% assumed participation.

#68 7 years ago

Safe to assume my large charity event is exempt form this shenanigans and IFPA waives any BS fee?

or do you also want to take money away from Cancer patients so you can bring more 'prestige' to pinball?

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

This is logistically far more challenging for us. Right now we have an interface that deals directly with TD's, and this will simply be an extension of the results submission process. We can easily stage events through that same process we do now for approvals. Dealing with individual registration of 50,000 players and building that process from scratch is a far bigger nightmare.

buck up buttercup. It is the right thing to do.

It cant be all that difficult. Heck, Pinside has the ablity to take individual donations form users and immediately give them a red heart and other features of the site open up.

IFPA has all indicidual player profile pages. This cant be all that tough. instead you are attempting to shuffle a poor form for money generation and putting all the added work on TDs.

Quoted from ifpapinball:

This whole process will be a Staples Easy Button press from being repealed if it tanks

I am guessing it will be too late to just simply hit the reset button after 1 year.

Seems people are already taking action to work things out, and assuming they do then they are unlikely to go back in a year.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

I've spoken with most of the popular pinball charities over the last few months so they have been aware of this coming for a while.

odd, I was not contacted and I am pretty sure I run the largest charity event in the midwest region...

so in short... IFPA comes before charity events. check

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

http://www.upyours.info/playerranks.html
I can't speak for the owner of this ranking system, but he may be interested in selling it to you, Hilton.

edited I dont need to make it personal like that just because you do.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Click - approve . . . instead of Click - confirm payment - approve.

if you drop to 1/3 of your total events in a year, then I doubt you will get those TDs back.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

That was a legitimate site run for a few years here in MN. But it's nice to see you acting the way you always do. Cheers.

you are the guy telling someone "up yours"

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Charity events are welcome to run as non-point events

I dont understand what you are saying? If an event is a non-point event, doesnt that more accurately mean non-IFPA?

I mean, if I am not paying in the $80 for the 80 players in our charity event, then why would I even put it on the IFPA?
Sounds to me like the option is either pay to have your entire event ranked, or not be an IFPA event at all?

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

So here is the question. Is the bottom line of the SCS to make the top 16 in each state money or is it to crown a state champion?

I think you got the answer to this on April 1st...

Obviously the IFPA stance is that it is all about the money.

#89 7 years ago

curious if IFPA is now starting championship series for other countries also?

or is this new fee structure only for US and CAN based competitions and everyone else gets to be ranked for free?

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Does everything have to be about money Chris?

this is a guy that colluded at Wauna to try and work with his other MN buddies because he wanted to try and secure more money...

in short, yes. It is always about the money

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

If we drop to 1/3rd we're still at over 1000 events in the US annually. That's not necessarily a bad number for us.
If we nuke it and the TD's don't come back . . . we'll just have to wait and see. I fully anticipate a certain level of attrition and felt the landscape has grown enough to support us experimenting with this. If we blow EVERYTHING UP and competitive pinball burns to the ground, then we'll start back up from scratch like we did 11 years ago

I wish you good luck.

I think the way you went about all this was terrible and find it disrespectful to not have reached out to talk with some of your more active TDs to discuss this was looming (WI being an active state and nown of the TDs were contacted). Quite a few of us have worked hard to help build the sport and in turn the IFPA. This all smacks of greed totally against building of the sport.

#101 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Now if you DO care about WPPR's . . . it gets more 'interesting' for how this will play out.

I care about WI SCS and the WI pinball community, not about WPPRs.

I guess, I look forward to not being ranked/my ranking dropping and no longer being restricted at larger events

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Check out the Championship Series section on our website. I think we have 7 or 8 that currently run.
The fee structure is only for US/CAN, as there are tax/legal issues that I was made aware of from our legal council and tax accountant. Everyone outside of the US/CAN gets to be ranked for free.

how do you deal with certain counties in states which prohibit paying in or paying out for competitive pinball (ie. MGC) ?

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

There's the answer Hilton. Just secede from the union and you get free points.

it is being look at. It seems the majority of WI players dont care to donate a larger portion of funds to nationals, esp when states like WI run more events/players than many other states.

The more active TDs will luckily be able to discuss options at MGC next week. Perfect timing to brain storm what we dont like about the current system and see what our collective path forward is.

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

It's a only dollar oh man, if you want WPPR then pay it

It is not "just a dollar". It is the principle for many and the turn off for the community building for others.

people like having ranking, that is obvious. I think many are even happy to pay in to IFPA for the service they provide.
many are not willing to pay a prize pool so a select few can cash out at the end of the year at SCS and nationals.

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Everyone that signs up for the free event can opt to also register for the endorsement fee to be ranked.

how does this work for the event point value and structure?

Lets say 20 people show up for an event. 5 people opt to pay in $1. Those five people finish 4, 5, 8, 12, and 20th.

When submitting, do I only include them as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5?

I assume the event is only worth 2.5 points if grading at 100%

#121 7 years ago

I also need to ask Josh...

Why the heck announce this on April 1st? What was the logic behind that?

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

repealing WPPRcare

Lets not spin this with verbiage

It is clearly SharpeCare

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

You have this 100% correct.

so, your new rankings wont be a very good reflection of skill if continually the top players opt to not pay in?

For extremes, lets assume an event with 110 people that grades at 100%, where the top 10 finishers all opt to not pay in for your fee.
That means the 11th place finisher is now #1 and gets big ranking points?

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

That's just me being an asshole . . . I couldn't help myself

I figured. takes one to know one I guess

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Yep, not unreasonable at all for those who take the rankings seriously. Those of us who don't will opt out. It will be interesting to see the results, since apparently the casuals can still compete and "win" but just not earn WPPR points.

Since event values are based on number of players (and now players that pay the IFPA) this will defianelt have impacts.

No idea how it will play out, but i don't plan on paying a single dollar to IFPA myself which means every event I play in is worth .5 less points as a result.

If the local players all want to organize and get the money together for monthly events then a large discussion is going to have to happen.

I hope we can come up with a WIFPA plan moving forward.

#157 7 years ago

Still have not heard the accounting for how it makes sense for more prolific states with larger player base to fund a large portion of national prize pool but only send one person?

I have to assume CA for example will be providing a much larger prize pool than utah does.

#194 7 years ago

If anyone out there has and can share the current algorithms for how IFPA calculates and awards points, it would be appreciated.

We are looking into setting up a system that works for all the WI players/TDs and it would be nice to just see the current math behind the ratings and degradation based on strength of player and # of players for an event rather than attempting to reverse engineer it form scratch.

For example, the obvious base value based on number of player is easy.
The TGP is easy.

The more difficult to calculate is the addition to the base based on strength of player and the calculation of player strength.
The also more difficult is understanding the curve of point value and how it changes based on # of players in an event.

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

FYI, this will mark the end of the MGC being able to award IFPA points, and is technically illegal under state laws. There is *no way* to make a tournament legal in Wisconsin with money involved, no matter who pays it, and no matter when it is paid out.
I don't know if other states have rules like ours, but participating in this in Wisconsin is technically breaking the law.
This is the driving factor behind the MGC tournament being completely free and handing out no actual prizes. Other people in the state, you may want to speak with me before agreeing to collect this to understand the legal ramifications. I won't technically be free for a week with the show coming up, but afterwards I can tell you that this is illegal. For everyone's purposes, as those who know me know I was threatened with jail time for running our tournament (yes, for real), you will probably not want to participate in this.

thanks for chiming in Dan.

#201 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

The fee structure is only for US/CAN, as there are tax/legal issues that I was made aware of from our legal council and tax accountant. Everyone outside of the US/CAN gets to be ranked for free.

so Josh, is WI now exempt due to legal reasons also?

#203 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

This sucks. The vast majority of the people that come to our local tournaments will not care at all about bigger prize pools for something they will never go to. If someone else doesn't want to start organising these locally we may be done with IFPA comps locally. I just don't want to deal with it.

you appear to be exempt and the US/CAN are the players that have to pay.

#209 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Hilton I can give you all of that info. I believe we even have it posted on our site. If you want our entire historical database of WI results I can provide that as well so you have a solid place to start. You could then move forward however you see fit up there

thanks Josh.

Shoot it on over to my email Much appreciated!

#210 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Is all of this really that important to running a local tournament? Are you really trying to have your own separate ranking system??? Seems pretty petty to me. If you don't like what they are doing just run your tourneys without IFPA being involved. It seems you are more concerned with rankings then just having a fun tourney.

I have been in discussions with a few of the other main TDs in WI. Seems this is the impetus for us to look at other options.
Luckily we have plenty of time to examine things, talk with the player base, and make plans if we opt to go in another direction (I am guessing we will but will take some time to settle in and evaluate fully).

At this stage the players I have spoken to today value the state level competition more than other things.
They dont want to pay in for a larger cash prize pool for the end of state competition.
They dont want to pay disporportionally to fund a national competition for an elite group of people to get even more prizes.
They dont want to sell out the good thing we have all worked to build int he state the past 5-7 years for a buck.

Creating a WIFPA system offers lots of pros:
We control our own destiny of rules and can vote to make changes in the future to ensure we work towards promoting the hobby at all times.
We dont have to deal with the additional logistics of charging players in what are mostly free entry events.
We dont have to help buy a new Stern pinball machine or play into some of the obvious conflicts of interest.
We can support and grow the state competition even more and dedicate more energy/$ towards that. Seriously... why give away $6-800 dollars of WI money to National players when we could uses those same funds to promote in state.
There is the side benefit of no longer being restricted as IFPA player rank drops

Cons: no longer IFPA ranked to hunt a magical number (which holds no real value outside of the top 50 players). Sure it is fun, but does not appear to be a major driver in WI pinball.

#218 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

My point exactly....Do you really need a ranking system for just your state to hold your events???

just a state based one. Player base here seems to mainly like the whole idea of gathering points throughout the year in order to work your way into a year end State Championship event.

That is what we are thinking may be the best solution for us.

looking forward to the info from Josh and very appreciative of him being willing to send it along.

#222 7 years ago

Curious if with this new format all states will be afforded the opportunity to host Nationals?

or will it still be played on crappy quality games that are set up poorly in order to match up with your travel schedule Josh?

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

The formula for calculating first place value and then the distribution of points from 2nd through last place is available here:
https://www.ifpapinball.com/menu/ranking-info/
If you want the full database of event results for WI shoot me an email. I can query that table and export an excel sheet for you to work with.

thanks

#236 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

The formula for calculating first place value and then the distribution of points from 2nd through last place is available here:
https://www.ifpapinball.com/menu/ranking-info/
If you want the full database of event results for WI shoot me an email. I can query that table and export an excel sheet for you to work with.

also, if the spread sheet has the full equation to go through and calculate event value and point distribution, then that is even better.

#255 7 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Didn't WI have an SCS this year?

They did, and the td for that event broke the law as a representative of the ifpa.

A risk we have taken to this point, but sounds like people don't want to take it with the added press likely to come from this newest change.

#288 7 years ago
Quoted from MobRoller:

Ok so using your math and example (Eric Stone) 180/20,000 = .009 aka 1%

math...

how does it work?

lol

#304 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I can't comment about the legal situation in some states.
I wonder though if it is fair if anyone be allowed to not pay in, but still collect wppr points, because those same points push up their ranking, and then they become eligible to win money contributed by others (but not them).
Places that don't charge, because of local laws, or because they just want to run a free tournament by choice, but still want wppr points.
I can see the challenges here.

I would be happy to opt out of all cash prizes if and event I participated in did not have to pay this fee to seed the pot for the top 1% in the state and then top 1% in the nation.

The WPPR system is a nice thing and I enjoy participating in it. The state championship is also a great thing and what most of the regualr players in the state strive for. I am thankful for what the IFPA has done up to this stage and have been happy to support and grow the sport with LOTS of donated time, personal dollars, and energy.

I am happy to pay an annual player membership in order to get the benefit of the IFPA tracking all events and administrative fee. They can do whatever they want with that fee and if they want to hand it out as prize packages then cool for them. If they want to implement a restriction for SCS and nationals to only people that have paid the fee then that even seems fair.

I would go so far as to say a smart idea would be to offer a $5 annual member ship of pay for 5 years up front for $20. This will bring in more goodwill and support from the community and bonus that you get a large cash influx which you could safely invest in a trust to gain profits and build the ever growing prize pool for whatever events you want. I understand this creates some logistical hurdles, but guessing with this methodology you may even find some free help from others that know how to set up a membership based fee page and interact it with IFPA profiles to make it simple on you.

Change management is a tough thing Josh and I hope you reevaluate prior to implementation of this current idea.

In WI, we could put forth the effort to create our new and own tracking system but to be honest, I would rather just use what you guys already have and pay a player membership fee to do so.

#313 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This has been covered - basically it would be a huge pain in the ass to administer.
Plus, this would be the ultimate scrub-scarer. What casual play is gonna sign up for 5 bucks? So totally anathema to the "get everybody involved" thing, if that's what is important.

no, people are suggesting all players get tracked (that way events are still accurate in tracking; i.e. getting 5th but winning first for IFPA tracking is silly; i.e. beating 50 people in real world but only beating 10 people in IFPA world due to only 10 paying in is silly and devalues the entire system), but only players that pay the annual membership fee are eligible to get profile feature or qualify for specific events. Make a persons personal point accumulation dependant upon date of membership payment.

If they want to raise money they could even enact this chage today anf give players 1 month to pay up for 2017 points to count. Immediate cash influx. Make it easy by setting up a paypal store, instruct players that their player number has to be in the subject line of their paypal payment. Then take one time payments and sort by player number. Sure it wont be fun for the immediate, but guessing a cash influx of 50k would be enough to hire someone to make a slicker interface for next year which decreases work and makes it seamless.

#319 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Actually the true math for 2017 . . .
9297 players competed in the SCS/PCS. There were 47 finals, with 752 players competing. Ends up impacting the top 8% of players.

this math does not seem to add up...

In WI alone we had around 500 uniquie players in 2016. Only 16 of them qualified for SCS. Only 1 of them makes it to nationals.

#325 7 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

Avg 197 people per state. Assuming only the 47 that held finals had a player count.

if that is the case it agains shows the issue with each state paying a percentage of money rather than a predetermined set fee.

WI pays in 600, but a state with only 2 events could pay in 10 bucks.

Both are eligible to send a single player to nationals...

#374 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

Is that going to be a state wide vote? When does Wexit happen?

not an exit. moreso the possibility of another option.

It obviously does not involve you since you dont run events in WI.

#402 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

mad Rollin charity event

hoping that the majority of people that support the charity event do so for the fun of the chaity and the team event aspect. I refuse to spend even 1 dollar from the charity pool in order to donate to IFPA prize pool. It will no longer be an IFPA sanctioned event after this year *if they go forward as planned

Dan has made it clear he will not take the legal risk and I support him and hope people dont try to put the entire event at risk by pushing him to.

#455 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Or participate in our "Amateur" events in 2019 at no charge, should we choose to go that route.

Is there a new announcement I missed?

Been busy today and only skimming.

Is there now the ability to run "amateur" events and participate as an amatuer and still get IFPA tracking, but just not get "Pro" status or ability to play in SCS and Nationals?

Sounds like we can now elect not to pay and that just means no SCS play or Nationals play???

#484 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Where do you see this heading for Wisconsin? There were 39 'unique' events held in the state in 2016. Do all 39 apply to be part of the "Amateur" rankings? Do some percentage apply to the "Professional" rankings?

I think without the option to have an amateur rankings in 2018, the player base will be forced to take on the task themselves as they like the state based rankings system/ state championship idea and dont want to loose momentum on what we have worked together to build (a state comraderie and competition which has challenged us to play better and compete more; while being welcoming to new people and making the barrier to entry as low as possible).

I have no way to predict what will happen but I hope the main TDs can get together and figure out a unified plan.

I am guessing there is even a way to work together and have our own WIFPA or Wexit state rankings each year and then leverage those to send a player to nationals by meeting the minimum requiremnets of your new rules (2 events played in a calendar year). We could of course do the minimum of having an end of year event to determine our State Champ and then use that event as a sanctioned event with only 1 person paying the $1 (the winner). I guess in reality that would mean they also get .75 of that back when they go on to win the WI SCS by default. Do we just mail you the .25?

#486 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

If you try this ridiculous garbage I'll just submit enough Ballers For Dollars results and pay out of my own pocket to wreck your plan, because it's silly.

go right ahead. That is your option to do so. I dont think it will have much impact and enjoy going to nationals. Expensive trip to get dominated in.

It seems from the feedback I have gotten across the state the concensus is that the majority of competitive players have zero interest in paying in to seed a pot for the top 1% of the state and top 1% of national players.

They like the state championship and tracking/competiing with each other throughout the year.

#495 7 years ago

I could use some help with setting up a website and system for a new FPA system if anyone else is possibly going down this road.

Basically I would like something that functions identical to the current IFPA system for valuation, scoring of events, degradation.
I would like to be able to set up a calendar on the site for listing events and allow admins/TDs to put up events and also submit the event results. We would then use peer based review for TGP calcuations. In essence IFPA light since I am just looking for something to deal with the approximately 50-60 events run in the state of WI.

I am happy to pay for anyone that can help make this user friendly and easy for TDs to both submit events and results.

Assuming we come up with something scalable, I am happy to host for other states that may be interested in doing something similar and peer hosting their own state based FPA.

#499 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Would be a lot less effort, hassle, cost, etc to just pay the damn dollar.

actually it wouldn't in my case.

I run ~30 events in a year between monthly, launch, home, and MRP charity event. The logistics of me dealing with collecting money is one of my least favorite things to do and I only put forward that effort once per year for the charity event. I cant imagine having to do it or ask for players to pay it and I certainly cant afford to pay it myself. I also wont ever do it as it is unwelcoming to new players and that is a big part of why I do this. Some of my best friends I have met through playing pinball and running events. i dont consider it a good way to start a friendship or welcome someone into the hobby.

It would actually save me time if I can get a good new system worked out and dont have to worry about any $1 colleciton approximately 600 separate times, then deal with the possible legal implications, then deal with the selling of my values by filtering that money to the elite player base at nationals.

#513 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

That's a shame.

Some of us dont like playing for money, period.
Others dont mind paying for money, but sure as hell are not going to donate .25 every time we play just so an elite player can make 10k each year at nationals. or donate .75 each time we play so a top WI player can walk away with 2700 at the end of the year.
Others have no problem with that but just dont want to break local laws on behalf of the IFPA.
Others have no problem with any of it but find it a real PITA to have to deal with cash since 90% of WI based events are no entry fee.

For me it is a little bit of all of this, plus the fact that this feels like the frog in the beaker situation and I would rather stop investing in something that changes without input and an obvious bias for elite players over new comers to the sport.

The only shame I see is that WI players and TDs have been very active in building the sport (to the benefit of the IFPA and their eventual reality TV deals and the associated payout) and were not even talked to in advance about the topic, let alone the trolling of this all coming down on April fools. It shows very clearly how the IFPA thinks of its player base and TDs. I hope it is the impetus for a few others to get motivated to figure out something better that does not money grab for the elite. As Eric noted, i dont want things to get diluted like boxing, but I am optimistic that something better can come of all this.

Shame that the easy thing would be for IFPA to stop experimenting (is is not a scientific exp by the way Josh, merely a social exp; a soft science at best) and just provide the option for people to get ranked as it has always been and opt out if they are cool without being eligible for nationals. If you really want to have the winners pay for an event, then simply have them pay up front.

Seems rather clear that the majority of the player based would be more than happy to pay a $5 fee for profile access on an annual basis. With over 50k ranked people if even 20% paid up, that is a gaurenteed 50k right now. If you need help setting up a trust to shelter the funds then LMK. Pretty easy to be able to legally do this money grab and do it in a way that feels better for the whole player base.

#531 7 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

...almost as much the top players enjoyed all the free points from beating dozens of people who have never played competitive pinball before.

oddly I find that quite often non-rated players are placing in the top 50% and even top 4 in their first or second event.

It seems to have been put in place to defeat super league stuff, and ends up hurting other events.

#534 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If your league has 30 meets and you only need to go to 2 to qualify, I'm not for that.

I thought current rules for any combined event was that a person has to attend 50% or play 50% of the games to count?

#561 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

I'd prefer to not post those numbers, only because it's a falsehood.

it is valuable information to see. I assume in a best case scenario, this would have all gone over smooth with 100% change over and continual growth of the player base and events.

Only seems right to just publish the info and let people see what would have been that reality in 2016.

#588 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

It seems that if the SCS and Nationals are trying to be lifted up in 'prestige' then maybe they should get a bump to at least 100% TGP. Just a thought.

I think it is spelt Pre$tige.

#597 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I know it says that, but that should be changed. Of all of our tournaments, that's the one people take the most seriously. It should be worth a lot of WPPRs.

I prefer it to be worth no WPPRs. Since in order to even qualify for the SCS played in 2018 you have to be playing in 2017, I would prefer it not to put any new to 2018 player at a disadvantage right out of the gate at the beginning of the new season.

It basically sets you up for a snowball effect in some cases.

Take ND for example (an extreme example but you get the point), where the ONLY event so far this year is the 2016 seasons SCS (played in Feb of 2017).

#603 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Will WI SCS be worth WIPPRs?

whom knows what the future will hold...

I know people much smarter than I are working on an emulation of the current system. I hope something can be made that works identical to the current system, satisfies the desires of the vast majority of the state based competitive community, and is well received /incorporated. I really enjoy the state based camaraderie, competition, and rankings from the current SCS setup and would liek ot to remain as accurate and worthwhile as it is now.

At the end of the day i wont personally take the legal risk to violate the law (regardless of any personal feelings about this new 2018 system), so I am not going to take or hand out any money for events I TD for (which is something like 50% of the total events in the state).

#617 7 years ago
Quoted from Dynadan:

The state winners are expected

they are invited, not expected.

IMO they are silly in most cases to even think they should have a shot at a national event and the numbers show that if you are outside of a top 200 ranked player you wont win much at national either. Your national player, Mike, would have gone home from nationals with a whopping $100 this year after losing in the first round and tied for 36th.

Keep in mind that your Utah prize pool wont be much different given how few events are run in the state. From state championships, the winner should have walked home with at least $200 this year based on the $20 buy-in that IFPA requires. If they removed the $20 buy in then next year they would be on track to walk away with even less since Utah appears to have had only ~$100 pay in to hypothetical pool based on 2016 numbers (and where it is tracking for 2017). Just putting it in perspective that under the new system, your Utah state champ might have walked home with an additional $75 this year. That money would have come from your state player base, of which approximately 90% are non-rated players currently and it appears many have not returned after their first tournament.

I can tell you from experience that growing a player base is easier with as few barriers to entry as possible.

#620 7 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

Money isn't everything, it is achieving a goal by winning my State Championship and be recognized as the person who won my State and playing against the best at Nationals striving to do the best you can.

I completely agree! Which is why I wish the money aspect was not being put into all IFPA sanctioned events by force.

#623 7 years ago
Quoted from Dynadan:

A lot of hate for a state who just had its first year of organized and competitive pinball

you misinterpreted what I was saying. I have nothing but props for you folks getting things going. I just wanted some perspective on the real world dollars and where they come from and go.

Quoted from pins4life33:

Put it to you in other way, it costs someone from my area around $1500 to go to Nationals and PinMasters, pretty good chuck of change.

and my point is that THEY should be the ones to pay that out of their own pocket if they choose to do so. Sorry, but you are a top 200 player and I dont care to ask other players to support your travel to a national event. Heck, I like our state champ from last year, but there is no way I think he should win over 2500 (supplied mostly by people that have a near zero shot of even playing in the SCS) for winning a state championship series just so he can afford a trip to texas to play in nationals. If you want to fund it then just make the fee to play in SCS $200 per player. That is $3200 for EVERY SCS. Give 25% of that money to the IFPA and that makes for a 40,000 prize pool at nationals.

*note this ensures equal fees paid by ALL states and also ensures the national event will be a large prize pool so Josh can tell sponsors that each state champ wins $1200 and the national champ wins $12,000. Seems to fit the real motive behind all this.

That also seems like a VERY easy way to do all this. It is one tournament, only 16 people ot colelct money from, and keeps everything else very simple.

Keeping 75% of that money back makes for a $2400 prize purse at each state. Award $1200 to first place and that should pay for their trip to nationals. Split the other $1200 all the way down to 16th if you want.

#629 7 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

You still haven't answered the question of why should the 50000+ people get the WWPR rating system for free

sorry, I thought I was clear on that earlier.

I think anyone that wants a profile and to be tracked SHOULD pay the ifpa. I would be happy to pay the IFPA an annual membership fee and I think the majority of current and new players would also.

The IFPA shuold set up a direct pay system when every player can easily sign in to their profile and pay their $5 annual membership. This should afford them the ability to play in as many sanctioned events as they want for the whole year.

Quoted from pins4life33:They could have come back and said the $1 is an true admin fee and see are setting up a central office and hire some people to manage all these tournaments and none of it is going to be reinvested back in the community.

I think that woudl be great! I would be happy to pay them even a $5 admin fee and they can do whatever they want with it. I just ask that they collect this fee rather than ask TDs to do yet another thing (and potentially break the law in some cases; I dont understand it all but I trust the conversations other have had and am unwilling to put the boudaries, esp as someone with lots of personal games on route that they could easily make an example of it they wanted to shut it all down)

#642 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

Seems some news organizations should be made aware of this.

i can see it now
"news at 5, local pinball nerd wants to gamble but indian casio lobbyists say no"

#692 7 years ago

I think it would be funny/appropriate if others knew the current IFPA rank of each posterin these threads. I have a general idea for many and you would notice a trend that those people largely for the funding for the elite on the backs of the masses are... wait for it... actually elite players mostly in the top 10 of their state each year and in the top 250 in the world...

I can see also that the pinball culture in each state is more broad than I originally thought. Lots of different dynamics in each state at play. Lots of dynamics that were not accounted for.

That again shows me that this entire idea was not thought out very well. It appears the main group of people the idea was tossed out to were people ranked high (elite/potential elite) and only actively participated in by a handful of state reps largely. If 51% is your only measure of success, I think IFPA needs a better measuring stick.

#697 7 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

I am around 215 and qualified for my province the last 2 years, so yeah i am an elitist whose opinion doesn't count. Feel free to just add me to your ignore list.

I said nothing about opinons not counting. In fact I went on to say how there are obviously lots of dynamics at play.

One trend I am noticing is that elite players tend to be happy with the novices funding their potential prize pool throughout the year.

#698 7 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

I am around 215 and qualified for my province the last 2 years, so yeah i am an elitist whose opinion doesn't count. Feel free to just add me to your ignore list.

worth note that I am around 250 and have qualifed for SCS all 4 years so far. I dont fit the trend I noted above, but then again when do i ever fit in.

#704 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

I'm wondering just how many free games (dollar value) this 'elite' player gives away to whoever, novice players included, when I qualify at Blainbrook, for example, or when I play Super League games at East Side. I've literally given away hundreds if not a thousand free games, usually to newbies and offered them any kind of help understanding the rules of the game to get more enjoyment out of it.
I know I've given back, volunteered my time for events like the Pinball Tutorial event we had at East Side, explained games (even if it was against the rules) to newbie opponents (if it were head to head, though not *always* ), again to help them enjoy the experience more.

I dont appreciate the cut of your jib and franky it is BS. In short I give away hundreds of free games (and not free games I have won from matches and replays; actual free games with credits from real money). If you want a pissing contest I can assure you that you are barking up the wrong tree.

Sorry you dont get a more eloquent response, but I need to get some stuff done before heading home to get more stuff organized for clock chaos and to voulenteer my time for yet another year to help keep competitive pinball cracking and dealing with shit like competitive players smashing on personal games that I spent hundreds of hours to restore.

#706 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

Tony at East Side gives away free games with the use of the PayRange ap, and as I mentioned, we organized a day just for newbies to teach them beginning, intermediate, and advanced pinball techniques. Blainbrook gives away a big prize package twice every month, and one monthly is meant only for novice and intermediate players.

Tony and crew are GREAT people doing lots for pinball. We have copied many of the things they do because they are great ideas!
Tutorial nights to explain tables and objective for free. Free play parties with trophies and prizes. End of month free play for selfie leagues. Free games whenever we are out cleaning stuff up or get and error code and stop out to fix while the person is still there. 1/2 off payrange nights. Openeing up the hood and showing a novice and spending time with them. Yup, those are all things we do all the time, but appreciate your continual insinuation that we do nothing to give back.

gotta go fo real now. Have to be sure and tighten up all the tilts for chaos just to protect the collector games from the tossers Thanks for the reminder; funny part is I was just talking in general about competitive players tossing around beautifully restored games.

p.s. gotta love the guy that attacks and then turns around and complains when I defend myself. can't make you happy can we

#746 7 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

In Milwaukee this year there will be 36 monthly tournaments for IFPA points. There is also 12 tournaments for ladies league for IFPA points.
Many of our casual players who play in the majority of these 36 tournaments have no shot of making the SCS because these local tournaments are not worth a lot of points. It's also because the more serious players are also making the majority of these events and also hitting other major tournaments like MGC, Mad Rollin', WaunaPin, and Fox Valley Tournaments. Many of the more serious Milwaukee players also hit a few Madison tournaments as well. The casual player is not going to these other huge point events.
I would guess the casual Milwaukee player would drop at least $20 with zero chance at making the SCS.

exact same scenario in Madison. There will be 48 casual events this year and only 5-6 of the typical 16-30 people that attend will have any shot of making SCS. Those are the same players that also attend the large events (MGC, MRP, Wauna, Tom's). Quite a few of the casual but active players would drop $20 in donation to the state champ and national champ combined.

Rob, I dont think we managed to chat IFPA junk since we were having so much pinball fun, but needless to say... there will be an entirely free WI based alternative that closely assimilates the current system tracking. If you know and good web developers or coders that want to donate time to help then please let me know. There are a few guys much smarter in that world that I, and they are starting to get something together so we can test it out this year before needing to implement it for 2018.

#749 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

So how are we going to support 2 ranking systems in WI? Are there going to be IFPA tournaments and then WI based alternative tournaments?

my guess is that yes, some TDs/players will be fine with charging and dealing with the legal/tax issues while others will not.

some TD/players will want IFPA ranking and some will be plenty happy with a free WI ranking.

I dont think of it as alternative. I think of is as a different and potentially better option that can better accomodate the culture and desires of WI along with continuing to promote growth of the sport on a state level. (i.e. things like your idea (or was it Eric's suggestion; cant remember as the MGC weekend was a blur) of limiting total event count for State Championship to XX number or a % of total events played in the year; which should help promote play and hosting of events but also help to balance the relative bias form areas that hodl lots of events to those that dont)

Quoted from TaylorVA:

Seems like a lot of work to be donated, maybe each player could donate $1 per event to the coder to create and maintain the ranking system.

I will be happy to foot the entire development and hosting costs associated with it. If a web developer/coder has the passion and wants to help then I welcome it. If they want to charge a reasonable rate for the services, I am happy to pay for it also.

#754 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Seems like a lot of work to be donated, maybe each player could donate $1 per event to the coder to create and maintain the ranking system.

funny part os actually that MOST players would be HAPPY to pay in to support the administrative needs of the IFPA if they could do so...

oddly they are not providing that option.

#774 7 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

Have you checked out Rankade? Looks like it would do the job & appears to be free. The algorithm is more like the chess player ranking algorithm where you're trying to measure relative strength of players rather than some mix of participation and strength.

I checked it out and it looks slick. unfortunately it appears to require all players to have an established profile?

The benefit of the current system is that one TD can submit for everyone, even if they dont maintain a full profile and just a name.

#792 7 years ago
Quoted from JNX:

If i pay the money and it is not paid out in my local event, what happened to it?
It is absolutely an added fee, or tax.

you are wasting your typing on him. He is a top tier player that is obviously more concerned with how much money the noobs in his state will pay in to a prize pool he can win. A short sighted goal if it ends up meaning less money in the long run due to fewer people showing up to play and contribute.

If it was a tournament flat fee, then he would have a good point, but since the tax is based directly on the number of people playing and tied directly to them, the whole thing is a fee/tax to play in a sanctioned event.

Oddly, I am not sure why they did not at minimum decide on tier levels for event fees. Seems like they could have easily done a structure of:
1-30 people = $5
30-50 people = $20
50 - 100 people = $50
100 -200 people = $150

Basically a structure that was tied to the actual event rather than the individual. A structure that incentivizes still trying to grow the sport (if you are running a small weekly then you should try to maximize your value by getting up to 30 people there). A structure that would have financially made it possible for operators to more likely support as more would likely be willing to give IFPA 5% of their coin drop rather than 30+% of their coin drop from a tourney night.

#795 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Maybe I'm wrong and just don't understand the perceived benifits of this fee?

What I interpret from Josh's posts is that his thougts are a higher prize pool for SCS and Nationals creates a buzz. The ability to say "A SCS winner will take home $500 to $5000 in prize money depending on the state and a Nationals winner will take home 10k and a NIB pinball machine" is some how prestigious. He seems to think this prestige and buzz will then allow him to somehow bring in more corporate sponsors which will add to the prize pool further. It seems the unltimate goal and payoff is to then leverage all this into some sort of reality TV show.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

If more money is wanted for SCS winner then make the people that qualify and play in SCS pay more at SCS, not the first time tourney players.

Seems like the simplest way, but amazingly it appears that even Josh baulks at this idea as he does not want to just pay in $200 entyr for the SCS in IL so his brother or now Elwin can take home the prize. I do find it funny that his own logic is not extended any further.

A $200 entry fee into the SCS would serve the same purpose and ensure the fixed payout for every state and national entry fee.

#797 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Player registration fees... league dues... entry fees... coin drop... everyone isfine with

seems like a pretty obvious difference to me. Those all support local pinball.

Quoted from flynnibus:

but a $1 ifpa fee

this leaves the city and goes to elite players.

I am not sure why it is so difficult for some to understand that.

#804 7 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

but it needs to be in a way the gives a boost to smaller events vs making them court for even less.

I think the idea will be something along the line of 20 total events will count for your annual state championship ranking (same as what IFPA currently does for your national ranking).

The idea is that you cant just play your way into an end of year championship, but rather need to play well.

The constraints to think about is that the # of events will vary based on state activity. I personally think it is a good way to help balance the activity of different regions in a state but at the same time you need to be cautious to not make it so people run or attend fewer events.

In WI we have over 60 events each year so your top 20 events seems to be a reasonable metric to use. I personally think it may also be beneficiall to change leagues to be a 1 time per year reporting rather than a multiple 'season' reposting each year. Basically it would help to level the value of any league.

#805 7 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

Why shouldn't they supply the majority of their own prize pool?

I still dont understand the push back form top players to just pay in a $200 entry fee for your Sate champtionship position. Earn your spot through points and pay your own entry fee.

#807 7 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Because we have for 20+ years, and the amounts will only get so high.
By collecting it from ALL endorsed events, you make those events gain respect, you add to the SCS pool, you add to the Nationals Big $$ pool, and newer players can feel a little more of a "pro" experience while playing an endorsed event.
All while they are helping the sport grow.

so you are feeling entitled to others paying in for your prize pool because you have been playing pinball for 20 years... and want a biugger prize pool, but are unwilling to just up the ante form your own pocket???!!! WTH! glad that is cleared up.

Sorry but I would love to see you explain this in person to new players as a tournament for their first or second time playing.

Casual person >>"Hey DNO, why do we pay and extra buck for each event now"

DNO >>"Because I have been playing pinball for 20 years and you should be paying in so I have a shot at a bigger prize pool at the SCS"

Casual person >> "what is the SCS? can I play?"

DNO >> " Well the chance is slim to none, but sure" "It is usually an event where the top 25-30 player in each state duke it out for 16 total spots, but with years of practice and competition you may eventually be good enough and play enough to earn a spot"

Casual person >>" so what happens if I dont want to pay the extra buck?" "how many events do I need to play in currently to feasibly earn a spot"

DNO >> "then you dont get to play in these events and dont get to be a WPPR ranked person?" "realistically you are going to need to play in 25 or more events ina year; alternatively you could just be naturally talented and win a few reall big events (but good luck with that as it rarely happens)"

Casual person >> " thanks but no thanks" leaves and never returns to play competitive pinball again

Casual person to friends >> " You would not believe it... They wanted me to pay and extra buck everything I can to an event just so they could get a prize pool of 5k at the end of the year, but only the top 16 players in the state get to attend" "Yeah, I had fun playing pinball, but the ultra competitive vibe and paying extra money was a total turn off"

#831 7 years ago

Reality as I have seen it at casual monthly events (which tend to be the stepping stone for getting into bigger events)

Player: hey, what's all this commotion about?
TD: Hey, I'm Steve. We're actually running a pinball tournament tonight. Do you play?
Player: Yeah, I like pinball... but I've never entered a tournament. What's the story? How do I enter?
TD: It's easy, you put down your name and email, pay a $10 entry fee and you pay for each of your games. The registration also lets you track your history at a site called the IFPA and establish a world wide ranking. We play in a head to head format, the guy with the iPad will tell you who you are to play. It's a bracket to the final four. Top four people get cash prizes

Player: $10 to play plus a coin drop. No thanks. I'm not interested.

That is as far as the conversation ever goes IME when you are charging money to play in the tourney on top of the coin drop.

#835 7 years ago

love that gif!

#839 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Does that take way from the Legitimacy of the tournament and the rankings as a whole?

yes

#872 7 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Maybe this is ok since its just one state event instead of every event or because you or others aren't one of the 16 participants but its a bit of a contradiction to all of a sudden get upset with this concept when it has been used to help fund the national championship for years.

Many did not like and still dont like it, but in that case it is ONLY $100, is the same amount for every state, is a 1 in 16 shot of going to nationals (i.e. you have already self selected for elite and committed state based players at that stage), and IFPA was providing a trophy in exchage of that $100 (a reasonable fee for a cool custom trophy). The new idea is a totally different concept.

Quoted from ZenTron:

I respect your opinions but Ive spoken with folks in my state and all of us are fully committed to support IFPA

It is amazing how widely it can vary from state to state. We had another monthly meetup locally last night and it was the exact opposite and people were fully committed to go a new direction.

#876 7 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Its easy to say in April 2017 that people want to go in another direction but its much harder to actually get it up and running. Personally I don't have the time or energy to emulate the IFPA for my state. As a state rep im sure this would be frowned upon also..

I dont think it is going to be all that difficult to accomplish. I am hoping we can get something running in the next few months. That will allow us time to back enter 2017 results so people can see how it compares. It will also allow us the ability to play with some adjustments and see how they pan out (i.e. things like only using a players top 20 events form the year, rather than the ability to play your way in via shear participation/cummulative of all events)

#877 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's really not amazing, nor does it vary.
There's Wisconsin and everybody else, apparently.

Actually does not seem to be just a WI thing (besides the obsession in your head). We had 2 out of state players yesterday and it seems there is a spectrum. For example, I was told some people in Seattle are taking it very personally and have bigger plans to defect from the union completely.

We also had 4 new/er faces last night and I spoke to them about potential changes and asked for their POV. All of them said they would not come out/ as often if they knew there was a mandatory fee to be rated/sanctioned event.

#880 7 years ago

no rebellion...

Just time to look at alternative options.

#885 7 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

I'm sure they did, after you explained it in your special way to sway their decision before they made it.
..Or they just agreed, to shut you up and play pinball.

actually all I did was give them the details on how IFPA currently works and how it will work in the future. I left my opinions specifically out of it as I wanted to use the opportunity to see what they thought as a new person to come out. I asked them why they came out, what interested them, and why they woudl come back. Not every one is like you DNO.

I prefer to just tell them how it is and let them make up their own mind, rather than charge $5 and not explain what happens with the funds.

#897 7 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

You're fired up as usual whysnow, but insulting others because they have a different opinion does nothing to advance your cause. Yes DNO is an elite player and stands a reasonable chance of seeing a bit more cash if prize values increase. But no one is making a living on pinball tournaments, there's just not that much money in it, not now and not after the change.
I've never met you in person, but your posts suggest that you're passionate about pretty much everything. So it's hard for me to imagine you successfully taking a neutral tone in explaining these changes in your impartial poll. Not that you would intend to skew the results, just that your overpowering opinions probable make themselves plain once you start talking. Just something to consider before taking the rod to DNO for having a different view on things.

I made no insult towards DNO. He point out that he just charges the $5 to play and nothing else. In other words he gives the minimal information.

I tlak with new players and in this case asked for their opinion on how things would be changing i the competitive pinball world. Believe it or not, while passionate on here in text... I am a very logical and level headed person IRL. I have the ability to talk with people and provide facts without opinions (it is really not that hard).

#953 7 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

but why drag new players into it unless they ask about the prize structure?

because it is shady to not just be up front about it. People have a certain level of trust and respect at the start for the TD/person running an event. You are taking advantage of that ignorance and respect if you dont at least mention that $1 is being skimmed for another competition.

Simply put, it is not the right thing to do.

If you dont think that people will care, then just tell them the truth instead of the middle truth Nobody wants to be the middle truth guy.

#962 7 years ago
Quoted from Philk:

I thought you were busy making your own points system? Why worry about this anymore?

because it is still part of the conversation. Just because I am trying to look at other options does not mean I am no longer participating in the topic.

That would be like saying "you dont own game x, so why are you commenting"
seems like a silly thing to say

#964 7 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

No because it is still lying to the new players.
$5 entry and $1 goes toward registration fees is a lie.
$5 entry fee and $1 goes towards state and national prize pot would be the truth.
Both of the examples work for a fee based tourney. What happens when the tourney is free.
Then its:
TD: there is a $1 fee to play
New player: Cool so theres 25 people playing, if i win i get $25!
TD: No thats not how it works
New player: how does it work then?
TD: That $1 per player goes towards state championships and national championships.
New Player: How do i get to state championships do i just show up?
TD: No you have to be in the top 16 of the state to qualify. You will need to play in atleast 30 events to have a chance at playing in the state championships.
New Player: Thanks, I think ill just play some pinball by myself.

spot on and glad other see the difference between the middle truth and the truth

#982 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

will now be a paid service that we offer.

your spin is a little late on this one, but I appreciate the effort at a revisionist history while refusing to just say the change control was poorly done

#991 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

'anything Hilton wants'
We can call it a MEMBERSHIP FEE

I vote for calling it "stupid"

If you are going to call it a membership fee, then just charge each individual member the fee. (I suggest once a year and paid directly to your paypal account)

Now we are all good

#993 7 years ago

LOFL!!!!!

Can we get that officially updated on the IFPA website please...

hahahahaha

#1030 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

I might even sponsor the MGC tournaments out of my own pocket since that tournament means a ton to me personally

dont forget Mad Rollin, the LARGEST charity run event in the entire tri-state region

If you are deciding to sponsor events and waive fees, then charity events are a good idea. Keep in mind that Mad Rollin is likely the largest point value event in the state this year...

#1040 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Hilton, how many people do you expect to be playing in this charity event this year? Or how many were there last year and are you anticipating growth, might be a better question.

80ish give or take (all are rated people so likely the largest IFPA point value event in the state this year; we will see after MGC gets posted)

We sell out every year and it is really just a matter of how many slots/people we want to juggle and games used in each pingolf course. I think a few CO folks may come this year. We also get an east coast contingent. Toss on all the regional people (but Josh Sharpe is yet to make it; maybe this will be the year? ) and I think we could easily hit 100 people if we wanted this year. I may open it up a bit and go out with a big bang since this will be the last year it is worth WPPR points.

#1042 6 years ago

If josh took care of mad rollin, then i would likely continue w ifpa in 2018 for it. Aside from that, this will be the last year.

#1056 6 years ago
Quoted from JNX:

tone of deception by some TDs isn't bothersome to you?

IFPA doesnt seem to care it is asking many TDs to break local or state laws...

I wonder if they get pulled into a case where someones personal machines get taken by the state/gaming commission what happens?
I spoke to a good local WI lawyer. They went though all the laws and noted that while the chances of action being taken is minimal; the state would act swiftly and it would cost 10s of thousands of dollars in court to fight them if it happened. They also noted that the very first thing they would do is rope in the IFPA to cover the legal fees out of their administrative pool of funds.

this it the biggest reason I just cant take on the additional risk to support the IFPA starting in 2018.

#1080 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Unless Josh foots the bill for you?

Sounds to me like you care more about the dollar than the law.

nope. If I dont collect or hand off any funds to players then I have no legal implication.
If Josh in IL opts to pay the $80-100 fee in order to sponsor Mad Rollin, then that is all on him.

#1098 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

People keep mentioning 'free' events. Are they truly free? Someone can show up and not spend a dime and play? No coin drop, no drinks, no food, just show up and play?
That's awesome if so.

in some cases, yes. We have events where free really does mean 100% free.

in most cases, the majority of WI events you could get by with spending under $5 (coin drop and a cheap beer if that is your thing) and in that case there are some people that dont have the funds and I have personally paid for their games so it was still free.

#1109 6 years ago

actually, the competition is still free in your 'not free' examples.

I mean, you still need to pay for your gas to get there. You still need to pay for the clothes you are wearing since shirt and shoes are a requirement of the establishment. You still need to fee yourself since food is required for life...

The actual cost to play pinball can be as little as $3 for a night of competition, but the actual tournament and competition has always been 100% F R E E, run by voulenteers not getting paid, and no additional cost to the player.

#1122 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

At this point I can literally feel your pain at what this change will mean to you personally, and for that I do genuinely apologize.
I'm appreciative in your extreme passion and interest in the rankings, and if things fall as flat as you think they will under our model, then you'll only have one year of dealing (or not dealing) with it.

the other option is to just opt to invest your time and energy as both a TD and player in any alternative system that comes around with a promise to never collect fees and to respect the time investment that others will put in to voulenteer to host, submit, and track in order to grow the group as a collective.

The one thing I still have not seen you even acknowledge Josh, is that up till this IFPA was a community built, supported, and run vibe. Sure you established the foundation, but the growth and nourishing came from the community.

There was this whole community of active TDs, players, hosts, etc... that all felt vested in helping to make the IFPA better and to help competitive pinball grow. I think you have missed that for many people the passion seems personal because they have vested and invested in something that up till now had that greater good community thing happening. You now took that all away and even devalualed some of the personal investment for many. I think this is some of the hurt.

You dont simply get buy-in back when you abuse the inherent trust of a community and then say "oops, fun social experiement" after a year.

#1141 6 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

There is just a group of WI players who are anti IFPA for whatever reason.

that is not even remotely close to reality

#1152 6 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

1) Collecting $1 per player and sending to IFPA is illegal in WI and might have some tax consequences etc.
This is moot because you guys are running events with entry fees and payouts now. This argument has zero credibility with me.

some/ a few are/have done this. Thise that have done it, it was under the table and not put out on a state or national stage. Very different. Worth mention that it is actually a VERY small % of events in the state (less than 10% last year) which did entry fees/payouts and all the largest events dont

Quoted from ZenTron:

2) $1 is to much etc
Run unsanctioned events

$1 is not too much. The use of the funds are questionable and the tactic/manner is unacceptable for me personally plus at least 50% of the other TDs based on discussions amongs all the WI TDs. WI will still have sanctioned events but sounds like their will be a new sanctioning body (one that charges no fee or tax and one that specifically does not funnel money from the larger player base to a few at the top)

Quoted from ZenTron:

3) This is bad for pinball!
This is your opinion, restating it 100 times doesnt make it reality. Lets wait a year and see.

similar to so other stating their opinion over... it is just an opinion.

I wont be waiting a year to see. I am too vested in WI based compeitive pinball and am unwilling to let things languish for an entire year just for the social experiement. Still sucks that my hand was forced and I think there are better/easier ways that alienate less of the player base, but Josh has made his decision and is sticking to it.

I still think there is a very simple compromise for all of this.
1. Want to have your ranking tracked? Annual fee of $5 Dont pay and you are repressed from being visible but still factor in as Player 1, 2, 3, 4, etc...
2. Want to be eligible for IFPA based SCS and National events? Then pay $1 per person for the prize pool as outlined from Josh
3. Dont care about the IFPA SCS or Nationals, then just dont pay $1 per event and you are all good, just cant compete in the IFPA based end of year events.

Track everyone the same as you always have. This maintains the current systems integrity (still so dumb to have events where someone that does not win can win in the IFPA eyes. This provides a safe way for IFPA to see how many are willing to pay the $5 tracking fee but not the $1 tournament fee. This allows people to still see where they stand and run an end of year non-IFPA state event if they choose. This allows the IFPA to run the social experiement without losing overal integtiry of the ranking system and allows them to more easily hit the reset button in 2019 if needed.

The current experiement calls into question the integrity of the entire ranking system, burns some TDs/players, and makes it hard to recover.

I think this has become a case of digging in your heals rather than finding compromise that could actually benefit Josh's vision in the longer term without hurting it in the shorter term.

It is obvious you dont understand the opposite perspcetive nor have you really tried. I do continually find it interesting/predictible that some of the biggest propoenents are players with a shot at the $$$$ at teh end of year events.

2 weeks later
#1232 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

DOUBLE!
(I look forward to bitching about being out of room to add more games)

how much game room are you going from/to?

4 months later
#1301 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Hilton has our entire database

only going to do this if the rest of the community supports it and helps build it. Needs to be a transparent and community run thing to be worthwhile.

I unfortunately know jack about web or software development.

I have offered to hire or help offset the costs but so far have not made any headway.

I am hopeful things will come together around it.

#1302 6 years ago

also, I am not giving Tom any flack (just to be clear) and I think each TD needs to make their own decision on what works for them.

I personally wont be running any IFPA events in 2018, but that is a personal decision for me to make just like it is Toms decision to make.
I do think when the largest public events in a state are no longer IFPA, then it makes it kind of silly for the whole system to happen at all based on a minority subset (much like it is silly to allow events to be partial IFPA based on the players that buy in if a TD wants to do that), but that is the fractures the IFPA has set in motion with the new rules.

I guess it will be interesting to see how this experiment plays out. For me it sucked away most of the fun I used to get from competitive pinball.

#1304 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Ahhhh I thought you had people that stepped up right away back in April for you guys to get this going . . .
"I know people much smarter than I are working on an emulation of the current system. I hope something can be made that works identical to the current system, satisfies the desires of the vast majority of the state based competitive community, and is well received /incorporated. I really enjoy the state based camaraderie, competition, and rankings from the current SCS setup and would liek ot to remain as accurate and worthwhile as it is now."
If there are people on your side that need some assistance don't hesitate to reach out. We'll do whatever we can to help.

yeah, thus far the people that said they would help have either been too busy (totally understandable as real life comes before pinball) or not been able to make much headway.

I even tried to hire it out but the quote I got was crazy high.

Hopefully someone with some web/software development skill in the pinball world will be able to help out.

I was hoping to have something built by now so I could back enter all of 2017 events to beta test a new system.
Thanks for the offer to assist and if I find someone able to make it happen, I will point them in your direction.

If you want to offer a hosting fee for WI based non-ifpa events system then let me know. Obviously that is easier than an emulation of a current system (dont say sure, $1 per person per event cause we both know that is not what I mean, lol).

#1315 6 years ago

I still think the best alternative is to host everything for free except for the actual State Championship. Make it a $200 entry fee for the top 16 to play in that event. If these are the players that earned the shot to play in the end of year event then that also assumes that they have won enough money throughout the year to cover their entry fee. It seems fair and simple. 1 event in each state to deal with collecting money, dispensing money, and funneling a % to the national pool.

It will never happen, but that is what I have settled on as the best compromise for this whole thing.

#1373 6 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

I could of played in the MGC Tournament without purchasing tickets to the show? If no, it wasn't free.

pretty sure the answer to that for the past few years is yes. The tournament was out in the public hallway and anyone could walk up and play if they wanted.

#1375 6 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

pretty sure the answer is yes or is the answer yes?

I am not sure if that was intentional, but YES you could walk up without paying to enter the show and play in the completely free IFPA sanctioned event.

If that does not tickle your fancy then you can go to 80% of the other events in the state that have no entry fee. This discussion was more so about events john has played in for free.

#1392 6 years ago

Dan > what do you think about split flipper Joust tournament this year?

Teams can pre-register and then we make up a huge bracket and they just go at it.

Alternatively we could use 2-player joust as the split flipper the the goal for each team is to get the highest score for player 1.

Take player 1 score and minus player 2 score to get the combined team score...
1 person on each side and player 2 is just trying to score points for player 1 and avoid points for player 2.

#1394 6 years ago

yes, I have a Joust. If we wanted to use it, I could put efforts into getting it ready by then.

#1396 6 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Let me put it this way, if you'd like to use it, I'm all for it. I don't know who I could get to manage the tournament, but I could easily set it up for registration and whatnot if anyone wanted to.

ok. stay tuned. I will make sure I can get it working solid and then report back.

Do you want to use it for:
1. Split flipper team vs challenge (1 team on each side; big old bracket of elimination)
or
2. Team flipper for player 1 high score (each person plays one side and they work together to get best score for player 1) This would be in place of the regular split flipper and could just run through the normal crew as the "split flipper" event.

#1407 6 years ago

what is the actual equation for determining point value for each position and the curve of decay for an event?

For example an event with 20 people has a slower decay of points awarded as you go from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to etc...
than an event with only 8 people.

I am assuming there is some sort of equation to calcuate this where I can just set the parameters for base value for the event and # of players and then it auto calcualtes what each point value a player gets based on position.

#1409 6 years ago

If assuming only linear distribution and no additional value for dynamic player strength...

So for an example of 20 people in an event with a base value of 10 points

(PlayerCnt + 1 – Finishing Position) * 10/100 * (1st place value / playerCnt)
1st place is (20 +1 -1) *.1 * (10/20) = (20) *.1 * (.5) = 1
2nd place is (20 +1 -2) *.1 * (10/20) = (19) *.1 * (.5) = .95
3rd place is (20 +1 -3) *.1 * (10/20) = (18) *.1 * (.5) = .90

This is not making any sense to me. 1st place normally gets the full base value of the event (assuming 100% TGP value) plus the additional dynamic amount for strength of field.

what am I missing?

#1413 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

You missed my comment about the formula being used for the players AFTER 1st place.
First place simply gets whatever the full value is calculated out to be (Base Value + TVA) * (TGP%).
In your example let's just say the 10 points is the TOTAL.
Per our distribution formula, 1 POINT is distributed in a linear fashion, while the other 9 POINTS are distributed in a dynamic fashion.
So for 2nd place on down you're exactly right with respect to how the LINEAR points are distributed.
Just to help you more, here's a real world example from one of the tournaments you played in:
https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=18370
1  Hilton Jones 7.4
2  Maya Nigrosh 3.57
3  Sean Spindler 2.11
4  Thomas LaTendresse 1.31
5  Bryon Schmitz 0.85
6  Karl Luhrs 0.61
7  Luke Dillon 0.48
8  Nick Stanton 0.42
9  Brodde Peterson 0.37
10  Shane Kloppenburg 0.32
11  Garrett Peterson 0.28
12  Zach Starr 0.23
13  Jason LaTendresse 0.18
14  Mike Williams 0.14
15  Mark Hagen 0.09
16  Steven P Jones 0.05
Here's the Linear + Dynamic breakdown of that result from our database:
1 0.74 6.66 7.4
2 0.69 2.88 3.57
3 0.65 1.46 2.11
4 0.6 0.71 1.31
5 0.55 0.3 0.85
6 0.51 0.1 0.61
7 0.46 0.02 0.48
8 0.42 0 0.42
9 0.37 0 0.37
10 0.32 0 0.32
11 0.28 0 0.28
12 0.23 0 0.23
13 0.18 0 0.18
14 0.14 0 0.14
15 0.09 0 0.09
16 0.05 0 0.05

that helps. thanks

#1421 6 years ago

I would like to see the change to all home leagues being forced into 1 x year reporting.

I think that would be a good shift. If we are honest, these leagues are essentially private events and a random cant just walk in any month and play (we added a sub list to our local collector league to make this more of an option and make it more fair, but we still require and understandable vetting and randoms cant just show up). The current rules have incentivized IFPA hungy leagues to kind of bastardized their formats from the traditional idea of a year long league and instead run mini-seasons to maximize points. I know a few route only players that get screwed by this and have rightfully taken offense to it. I have had an internal debate about this for a while. Leagues will of course follow the incentives, so only natural to have them running the mini-seasons under the current system.

I would like to see this compromise and just make it a rule that events held in private locations as part of an ongoing league must either report individually (i.e. each house reports as their own event; which will prevent the point maximizing) or must report as a single annual league/ 1 x per year; preference is that a league report as a 1x per year event.

#1428 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Doesn't the Madison League allow Subs? Doesn't the Madison League run mini seasons?

Yeah, Madison League allows subs which was a nice compromise to make it more open and has worked out nicely for that effect.

Yes, they also run the mini-season format which I have realized is kind of silly. It was done to maximize WPPRs throughout the year as that si hwo the current system works.

I assume Fox valley does the same thing? Basically run 2 months combined in order to maximize WPPRs and then report 6 times a year. Do you still crown an end of year champ based off the combined mini-seasons?

After being part of a colelctors league for a few years, I think it si more appropriate to report 1x per year. However, unless the IFPA puts it in the rules then the leagues will just gravitate towards the outcome we currently have (assuming points are their goal)

#1431 6 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Are you talking about private leagues or just at home leagues?
I don't understand the issue either way, as location leagues can schedule and optimize the points in exactly the same way as a private or home leagues.
There is no location pinball in ATL and the only place to play is at home. I run the Head-2-Head league that has 4 sessions a year. Each session winner plays 50+ meaningful games. This is many more games than a regular tournament.
That would be 200+ games if submitted annually, without any additional value. that sounds more silly than organizing events to optimize the rules.

talking about private home leages which are effectively private unless you know someone or get in at the start of a season.

I have no issue with completely public locations where anyone can join at any time doing whatever they want.

I have always struggled with the desire to maximize WPPRs vs being really public for the 'private' collector leagues.

#1435 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

So in 2018 you won't mind me heading to Madison and running an IFPA event at one of your locations?

I dont have any problem with that and welcome players to feel free to do so. Please just let us know in advance so we can coordinate with the location owners and maintain that relationship/ ensure they are OK with timing and dont have other conflicting events planned.

#1437 6 years ago

Still don't understand your hangup here. Do you think people are cheating, or is it unfair that people have collections, or should they have to pay to play on location to count?

none of the above.

I have always taken full advantage of the currnet system. I have also realized that this is unfair to some people that dont really have the ability to gather those IFPA WPPR points since the leagues are not really available to the general public.

I guess it is possible that the new fee will help provide a new constraint and some league may shift to a compromise, for example...

Quoted from TomGWI:

I think running a league quarterly makes more sense to me.

this also helps to allow people to join a quarterly 4 different times in the year rather than possibly be excluded from the league and points for the entire year.

#1440 6 years ago

Guess it's just a matter of perspective.
Leagues are available to everyone since anyone can start a league.

very true. Assuming that have a space to run them/games and money to own them.

The barrier to entry can be high if you are not invited into a collector league.

#1446 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

By the way is tiltforums.com down?

I heard moderators just closed all the threads

#1459 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Got it ya'll are OK with lesser players pumping in more events to build points so they can play in a championship series to claim a state champion vs having a system that drives to put the top skilled players at the top.
Probably should stop calling it a championship then as it's not driving for the best and most consistent players. Just those whom have the luxury of playing in 60 plus events a year. Just saying.

The current system is that the top 16 players with the MOST points are the ones that qualify, so YES I think the people with the most points at the end of the year should be in the SCS and are in fact the best qualified to do so.

I proposed to the SCS email chain that each state use a % (maybe 20-40%)of events. This would still encourage people to both host and play in events but also work to encourage a compromise of not being able to play your way into the SCS by sheer attendance (granted you still have to do well in events and just playing in them is not enough; heck in your example I can go find people outside of the top 50 with more than 50 events already this year...)

#1461 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

If they are so bad of players then you should have no trouble beating them at state and you should not be concerned .
If you are sitting at 16-20 then get out and play.

that is a good point. If people are so good that they only need to play in a fraciton of the events to qualify, then they should welcome the schlubs that suck but have earned the spot via sheer amount of play. Easy pickings in SCS...

#1473 6 years ago

kind of off topic, but what happened to the pin-golf world league thing for this year?

I thought I remembered some sort of thing where there was supposed to be a conglomerate ranking for all pin-golf related events for the year?

#1476 6 years ago

Where are the current "tour" standings?

#1480 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

That's what Josh was saying......There is no tour.

Quoted from InfiniteLives:

i think on the tour means its ifpa compliant for wpprs

Ok, well that is a bummer. I thought this whole time it meant there was going to be a custom ranking for only golf events.

2 months later
#1502 6 years ago

Someone else posted this on another forum.
I thought it was pretty funny.

IFPA (resized).pngIFPA (resized).png

1 month later
#1513 6 years ago

sad that some still dont realize how off putting it can be to have a condescending attitude toward the community when you are also asking them for a $1 to help grow your business model.

It was really interesting last month when we had a couple of players hang out after a monthly meetup and got on the topic of $1 entry fee for 2018. It was apparent to me that many of the entry-middle range caliber players were very clear that they would likely begrudgingly pay the $1 because they like to hang out with the other local pinheads and play pinball, but see it as a barrier to entry and don't like paying in for something they stand no chance to win or benefit from.

Some of the high level players that stand a very good chance of personally benefiting from winning a large prize pool at SCS were incapable of understanding why anyone was unwilling to pay into 'their' prize pool. They kept saying the "it is just $1" comment and I could see the other lesser skilled players just pulling back from the conversation every time the condescending line was tossed in their face.

Pretty sad to call the same people that have helped to grow the sport "haters" just because they dont agree with the current experiment. It is insulting at minimum and taken personally by others.

#1516 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

The deed is done, Hilton. You may as well sit back and watch it all burn for now. Come back to the table in late 2018 when the IFPA is desperate for ideas to resurrect the charred remains of competitive pinball.

just sharing some advice >> never a good idea to make fun of the same people that have actively participated in and helped the scene grow; and even worse to purposefully turn off the new players with condescending remarks towards them.

The experiment has been in effect for a while now, but it does not mean I have to just shut up and walk away from something I enjoy. Seems to be silly to say that.

#1519 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Looking forward to seeing how the Wisconsin ranking system works out for you guys . . . is that live yet? (this comment was also done all in good fun).

nope. I was not capable of learning how to program it myself and I did not find anyone else interested/able to do it either.

I have abandoned running sanctioned competitive pinball events for the general public. I am still committed to host the IFPA SCS for next year and may run a few events geared only towards competitive players on private machines, but I am done with running IFPA events currently at public locations.

This experiment was an eye opener and we have gone from running 4+ events per month to hosting 1 IFPA event at our locations and then allowing some players to run a second that wanted to maintain that one as IFPA. Effectively we have cut our commitment in half for 2018 and it has encouraged us to change focus.

This compromise came after lots of discussions with the local player base on what they enjoyed and wanted in local pinball. We are shooting for a variety of events to now try and appeal to a variety of players.

#1524 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

So I have a request that you can help me with (seriously).
My main concern is not really the number of IFPA sanctioned events dropping, but whether events are actually disappearing altogether (that worries me a ton if people were ONLY running events for WPPR's).
If you can keep me posted on how your overall turnout is for your non-IFPA events, whether it's down "overall" from last year, about the same, or you even GREW the number of people that played with it being non-IFPA, that's some data I would love to get my hands on.

sure thing

#1548 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

That's roughly 50 events that are counting from the timing difference.

plus side events and secondary events that are combined with the day?

#1555 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

we could then expect the final number for 2018 to be 335 tourneys held (271 US/Canada), still up from 2017 when the $1/player fee wasn't being charged.

need to then subtract the approximately 50 events related to SCS (and add-ons associated with them) which were bumped to Jan this year from Feb (previous years).

~221 US based events which is down from the 227 of previous year.

No matter, it will take a few months or more likely a whole year to see if there are any impacts.

I would say even a flat year is a pretty sizable impact from the previous YOY growth trajectory things were on.

First indicator from the public non-IFPA event I hosted is that people want either free beer or IFPA (most would likely appreciate both), but few will turn out just to play pinball for the fun of it...

I have been asked if I would be willing to continue running my events but allow them to be OPT-IN, where a different TD does all the IFPA submission and only takes money from those that want to pay the extra buck and count for that.

At this stage, I will give it a few more events as non-IFPA and then re-evaluate.

#1558 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I still don't follow the "it will take months/a year to see impacts" point, since any groundswell of anger over the new fees should be manifesting itself already now that the fees are being charged. But I missed the thing about SCS -- so you'd say check again March (since Feb. data will be skewed in the other direction) to see a more accurate picture of year over year changes in events held?
It would be interesting to see the month to month and year to year delta from past years as well, I'm sure IFPA is looking at that since they seem keen on data.

I dont think things like this change are as simple and an instantaneous reaction.

Some people stopped running IFPA. Others see this as a potential space for them to fill in. Some that stopped may eventually re-start. Some that jump at the opportunity may realize it is not worth the time/effort.

I think it will take at least 6 months to see things pan out, and more likely a year since pinball follows a weather dependent annual cycle in most places.

I also think number of events is just the initial # to measure, you should also look at number of players in those events.

There are 2 questions:
1. Are TDs running more/less events?
2. Are more/less players participating in each event?

Does it really matter if event count drops but total player count increases? I think that is likely to happen as many places may realize the effort of running an event for 10 people to play is not time well spent. You could cut your event count in half and draw 2x the players to each one you do run, for a net zero impact and less time spent. PLayers also tend to hunt out the events with a higher base value so the net could be a greater positive player count with decreased event count.

2 weeks later
#1575 6 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Lol, Wisconsin player #28,,
1 event
Congrats on that dollar Josh!
Get it framed.

Douche Bag

I dont care about paying the $1 myself.

Funny part is that you are so dense you still cant seem to figure out that I dont agree with charging OTHER people/ new people/ a barrier to entry.

Granted I am playing way less tournaments because I also dont care to donate or host events just so the same top 4 people in the state get an end of year prize pool of 5k. Seems stupid to just add money to their wallet when the top 4 is pretty much already determined.

#1583 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballKen:

Weren't you top 4 last year?

nope. Did not participate last year.

I think my best finish was tied for 6th place, but that was a few years ago?

#1594 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

The Oregon State “Chumps” tournament yields more wpprs every year than the Oregon State Champs tournament
They’ve been doing it for three or four years now, same date and time as the SCS playoffs.

How many players qualified for this past SCS based on points from the previous one?

That is not just outright qualifying, but also from beating out someone in 17th.

I took a general glance and quite a few of the less active pinball states, this appeared to be the case.

It is still a very valid point that SCS points for one year should not accrue in the next.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint-denis-sur-richelieu, QC
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-charging-fees-for-tournaments-in-2018?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.