IMG_2821 (resized).JPG
IMG_2805 (resized).JPG
DonationJar (resized).png
IMG_2797 (resized).PNG
IMG_4030 (resized).JPG
towelie_tough_guy (resized).jpg
towelie-no_you_are (resized).png
IMG_5752 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomgwi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 7 years ago

April fools joke

#34 7 years ago

As I read the information, this is my understanding.
If you have an event with 100 people.
$100 goes to IFPA which sends $75 dollars to SCS for the state and $25 goes to Nationals.

Will there still be a fee for SCS State Championship also?

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

I have run PLENTY of tournaments in CO, and operated games over 10 years, and am pretty much vested in the sport. (so I guess my opinion can count, and you won't try to diss me like you did Russell)
I also played in Nationals and won CO state this year, so you can try to tear down my opinion on that.
Nearly every bar that is played at in Colorado adds $50 to the prize pool, and the bar owners have never complained.
Perhaps if you had a reasonable conversation with one, you would have better luck.
The cash prizes at State have been crap, I look forward to seeing that increase and add to the prestige of the event.
Also, this will weed out the bullshit buddy tourneys that are "just for fun", and I think that's a good thing.
Play for some cash, make it interesting, and encourage actual location play. Not an insider boys club in Bob's garage.
Keep your WI tourneys all to yourself, have them non-sanctioned, they should be anyway.
Someone will prolly put one on and collect that $1 , and people will play and pay, and be ranked.
Plus side! Now you might not have other states playing in your SCS and winning it.

Wow. Even Josh runs tournaments out of his basement.

I agree with one thing you said. The SCS does deserve a bigger prize pool.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from AtomicChuck:

Thanks to those that run the IFPA for free. If you need to charge $1 for cost or administration fees im ok that. To collect money to give to the elite players in each state or national event I'm against that. Each year its the same 10 people dominating most events with a no name player sneaking in from time to time. I have invested a half million dollars in my facility and i can tell you i do it for the hobby and i run tournaments and leagues for the sport. Any TAX charged per event is like paying professionals more money to show up for something they were already coming to.anyhow

$1 is not for administrative fees. It goes to the state and national tournaments.

What your saying about the same 10 people winning all the time is the problem I think a lot of people will have. It's not the idea of giving a dollar, it's the principle.

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

I'm under the assumption we'll see an attrition rate here. There will be a shift of organizers that go from weekly reporting to monthly reporting (so you only pay one time for every 4 events). But we do have that data from 2016:
Wisconsin pool was $2598 . . . $1948 went to WI SCS, $650 to Nationals.
Here would have been the payouts for the top 16 State finalists (which will be a mandatory payout structure for all states):
1st - $584.61
2nd - $350.76
3rd - $233.84
4th - $155.90
5th through 8th - $77.95 each
9th through 16th - $38.97 each

This is logistically far more challenging for us. Right now we have an interface that deals directly with TD's, and this will simply be an extension of the results submission process. We can easily stage events through that same process we do now for approvals. Dealing with individual registration of 50,000 players and building that process from scratch is a far bigger nightmare.
We will definitely find out if what we're doing works or not . . . and we'll go from there. This whole process will be a Staples Easy Button press from being repealed if it tanks. We're at the points of having seen the player base grow to the level it has to 'play with our food' a bit and try some things. NOBODY (myself included) knows how it's going to play out.

So here is the question. Is the bottom line of the SCS to make the top 16 in each state money or is it to crown a state champion?

#90 7 years ago

Does everything have to be about money Chris?

#97 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

Given how I've played in Hilton's charity events and played at MGC the last years with zero prize money, not sure how you can ask me that and be serious.

I'm just saying. How much is too much?
I wasn't trying to infer you where out to get money. Sorry about that.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Motivating players to MAKE the top 16 allows us to capture the interest of more players. In Illinois there was a huge level of interest to claim those 12th-16th seeded spots, with the understanding that most likely nobody was going to beat Zach (myself included as Hilton made sure to rub salt in that wound)
Focusing on being able to take those players fighting for the 12th-16th seeds and awarding them for making the cut is a strategy we're taking with this approach.
When it backfires, we'll change back.

Same in WI. We just don't care about PAPA curcuit events. lol.
I would say the State Trophy is a driving force for competitive pinball in WI. IMHO. At least for me it is. I have already had some emails and texts about the changes and none have been positive. The one thing that keeps getting brought up is "cash grab".

I can see you are trying to do something positive for the SCS but not sure if the people below the top 16 will see it that way.

Perhaps, as Donovan alluded to, you are trying to get the number of IFPA events which are more frequent or run in a garage out of the ranks. If that is the case, well played.

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

That was certainly one of the 'healthy consequences' we had on our Pros/Cons list. It was put on both lists

I sort of figured that

#135 7 years ago

Watch out Josh, Hilton might put his bid in for IFPA President 2018.

You need to worry about this guy winning the SCS in IL now
IMG_1553 (resized).JPGIMG_1553 (resized).JPG

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

I hear KME is gonna qualify through WI for Nationals, allowing the Sharpe's to cash in IL!

He may not be able to if no IFPA events exist in the state but he is welcome to come to play in my basement for non IFPA events. Yep that's what I thought he's not coming.

I haven't seen a Sharpe in WI for years. Why is that? Oh yeah, MGC no longer gives out cash payouts.

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

LOL their names are Colin and Charlotte

I thought it was PAPA

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

In more pressing news, who's watching Wrestlemania tonight? Is this really going to be the Undertaker's last match?

I'm about to leave for it soon.

#289 7 years ago

Does the IFPA provide a 1099 for winnings over $600?

#293 7 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

it's going to be more then that just the moving of cash from events to IFPA just hope your local TD does not have more then $600 in 1 year to send in and then IFPA to SCS POOL will be an issue if it's over $600 and maybe $1200 and then If it's $10K then it's IRS audit / big paperwork TIME.

Unfortunately I am a local TD and running SCS this year in my state. Glad I won't have to deal with it this year.

#294 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I seriously don't have time for this, but in short...
It's all selective enforcement. By the letter of the law, the PGA tournament is illegal. They don't enforce it.
I sat in a room where it was confirmed to me that Chuck E Cheese is illegal (there is one in Brookfield) but I was told that was okay by the same people that enforce against us because they were "an established business".
Ultimately, the mgc will do fine with or without points, and I'm not saying that other things are going to run and have problems. I just won't be willing to do it, as I've been close enough to jail for one lifetime over pinball tournaments when I didnt even know we had an issue.
Oh, and why are the slot machines legal in bars in Wisconsin? Look what associations donate to certain politicians. Interestingly, the law that allows them didn't make them legal, they just made it illegal to enforce I'd there is less than a certain number of slots in one place.

Maybe all the SCS states can provide an additional $1 fee per player per tournament to help WI fight this law. It's only a $1. Then we can all be happy

#301 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Wisconsin is one of our (Raw Thrills) most successful states for Big Buck Hunter tournaments.
Sarah Erlandson is like the Keith Elwin of BBH and has won the women's championship pretty much every year we hold it. She's insanely good.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/local/land-of-10000-stories/2015/10/06/big-buck-hunter-sara-erlandson-beldenville/73461834/

Nice story.

The gaming commission I believe selects what they want to go after. If someone reports it, then it's a problem.

Unfortunately they decided to pay a visit to Dan's show. Maybe you should really talk to him about it.

#307 7 years ago

I think Bowen said it best over at TiltForums:

"I don't see how this fits with IFPA's goals. The state and national events already have prestige and publicity, and players who do not have a chance to reach the SCS are going to be actively hurt by this.
Locations running 20-player weekly events will be asked to pay $1000 to support tournaments they don't run where only elite players are welcome, or else leave the WPPR system altogether."

#321 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well, Bowen is all about the "let's get everybody into it!" thing, to the point where it seems to be his top goal. But what's wrong with separating the wheat from the chaff? I mean, the PGA tour isn't like 50 elites and then 1,000 scrubs. Everybody on the tour is good. If some super casual player who really isn't very good doesn't want to pony up $1 I don't see how that hurts anybody.
At some point maybe you just divide this into a "professional" ranking group and an "amateur" ranking group and tax folks accordingly. Like almost every suggestion in this thread it sounds like a total pain in the ass but hey why not throw it into the ring.

Yes, obviously. But then the people aren't paying up are probably scrubs who you shouldn't be feasting off of anyway. I do see a real potential for this measly buck tax to clean up some of the worst selfie/super league abuse that we've been seeing.

Not a bad idea about doing pro and amateur ranks.

I think you are right about the super leagues and believe this is why this is being implemented.
I, honestly, don't mind throwing a buck into the pot but I know a lot of people in our state do mind. There are a lot of small monthly tournaments that are run with no cash collected (besides coin drop) and no prizes award (one big reason for this is what happened to pinball at MGC a few years back = gambling). The prize is your chance to get WPPRs towards the state tournament or SCS. The fun is trying to get into the top 16 and compete for the chance. I almost never compete in these tournaments because they are near a 1.5-2 hour drive for me and usually on a weeknight. I know for a fact that the TDs running these tournaments in our state our pissed about the change. It will likely lead to us coming up with our own ranking system and running our own tournament. WIPRs! I really don't want to see that happen.

#376 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

Is that going to be a state wide vote? When does Wexit happen?

No idea. I guess we will find out what players think at MGC. Maybe a survey.
How many events in MN are cash based vs non cash based?
When people show up to play and now a TD has to ask for a buck what will the reaction be? I don't have the answers. It maybe positive. It maybe negative. It may result in tourneys with 20 people only submitting for 5. It may result in people maybe not returning to an event.

I don't see this move by the IFPA as a cash grab. I see it as s way to level out the legimacy of the WRRP. My thought is they are trying to eliminate the amount of submissions for tournaments they fell don't measure up to the status quo. In this respect, it's a positive to lower submissions. It doesn't take a high IQ to see that.

I don't care if my rank is 230 something in the world but I do care how well I am going VS individuals in my state for the SCS.
I will never be a top 100 player. I just don't have the ambition or investment to go to other states to play pinball. I think a majority of people in my state feel the same but I can't speak for everyone. From the people who have posted in this thread, we are the TDs in WI running events. The consensus seems to be the change is not a good one for us IMHO.

#398 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

I roomed with two of them last year, and haven't you been to Pinburgh at least twice? But what you are getting at is that you don't have the time for multiple pinball trips a year. I get that. It's why I did the day trips to your house. I could afford a trip if it was only a day or two. I'm getting too old to handle being up 42 hours in a 46 hour stretch... damn, getting old sucks.
Your question about how many are for cash and how many are not. Most have some small amount involved, like $5, for East Side survivor, but the Super League is just coin drop and every four player group at it's finals gets $25 to the winner paid by the operator. Blainbrook runs leagues, which cost money ($30), but it's spread out really well. They also run free tournaments that have operator funded pay outs. The one I ran in March had a player optional $5 entry fee (funny, no Wisconsin players to be seen), which went over really well. Only 4 (I think) out of 29 chose not to opt in.

Thanks Chris.
I went to Pinburgh the last 2 years. It is a lot of fun and going back this year. I also do expo for a day every year. I play with Eric in the team tournament (non IFPA). 3 kids and a business. Can't be everywhere at once. I know Josh can relate.

I would have went to your tournament but with league & Wuana in between i couldn't make it. Just too much pinball at once.

I am happy to run my events still as IFPA events as long as people are okay with it. I always love having Art and a bunch of the MN crew at my place.
I just know the changes will affect MGC, Madison Pinball's events, mad Rollin charity event, and probably our league in the Fox Cities.

#410 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

hoping that the majority of people that support the charity event do so for the fun of the chaity and the team event aspect. I refuse to spend even 1 dollar from the charity pool in order to donate to IFPA prize pool. It will no longer be an IFPA sanctioned event after this year *if they go forward as planned

Dan has made it clear he will not take the legal risk and I support him and hope people dont try to put the entire event at risk by pushing him to.

I will support both events and bring games regardless.

#427 7 years ago
Quoted from MobRoller:

If this is implemented, which I hope it is not, you will also HAVE to implement a play in your own state/province rule. I could easily see someone coming to our province from WA and winning our one big tournament (Vancouver Flipout). This would more than qualify them for the provincials. They come back and win provincials and go to nationals. That would mean that 100% of our fees/taxes would go to someone out of state/province.

Happens in the old system. Will happen in the new system

#466 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

knock it off you guys, you are making us wisconsin people look like suckers.

You are a sucker. I'll let you post your own provocative pics.

#543 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I never realized the national competitive pinball scene relied so much on the way the winds were blowing in Wisconsin.
Truly the cheesehead state is the straw that stirs the drink!

Yeah I'm not so sure why anyone is worried about WI. We have no curcuit events.
We are small potatoes.

#551 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

a fucking dollar? what is this Thailand? I thought it was $5 for a full night with breakfest?

Neo what are your thoughts?

I really don't mind the $1 fee. I really don't want to be in charge of doing a ranking system in WI. I really don't want to piss off people playing in WI either.

Josh, how many tournaments did I play in last year? I can't imagine it's over 25.
Tom

#574 7 years ago

Josh

Is there a way for the IFPA to collect the money directly from a player rather than the operator?

#625 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Will someone post a link to the WI law that prevents cash prizes? I googled but couldn't find anything that seemed to fit. Thanks

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/Wisconsin/

Posted this a few pages back.

Here is a tournament on the the Algoma Chanber of Commerce website- 100% payout
http://algomachamber.org/events/pinball-tournament/

#644 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the PGA is illegal here because of it.

No it is not. The PGA has a tournament in Kohler- PGA Championship 2015
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_PGA_Championship

Us Open this year is WI 2017
http://erinhills.com/2017-us-open/

Neo, your wrong!!!!

#647 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

no, i'm saying we still have it, but it is technically illegal by WI law. The same law that makes it illegal for us to get trophies and prize money from pinball tournaments.
I did specify that the representatives look the other way, because of all the rich buddies that partake in the PGA.

READ THE LAW BELOW:

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/Wisconsin/

It's not illegal by the gambling laws. Under (b) purses prizes etc in a contest for determining skill is NOT included in a bet.

(1) Bet. A bet is a bargain in which the parties agree that, dependent upon chance even though accompanied by some skill, one stands to win or lose something of value specified in the agreement. But a bet does not include:
(a) Bona fide business transactions which are valid under the law of contracts including without limitation:
1. Contracts for the purchase or sale at a future date of securities or other commodities, and
2. Agreements to compensate for loss caused by the happening of the chance including without limitation contracts of indemnity or guaranty and life or health and accident insurance;
(b) Offers of purses, prizes or premiums to the actual contestants in any bona fide contest for the determination of skill, speed, strength, or endurance or to the bona fide owners of animals or vehicles entered in such contest;
(c) Participation in bingo or a raffle conducted under ch. 563.
(d) Pari-mutuel wagering subject to ch. 562.
(e) Participation in a lottery conducted under ch. 565.
(f) An agreement under which an employee is given an opportunity to win a prize, the award of which is determined by chance, in return for the employee making a referral or identification described in s. 945.01(5)(b)2.h.
(2) Bookmaking. “Bookmaking” means the receiving, recording or forwarding of a bet or offer to bet on any contest of skill, speed, strength or endurance of persons or animals.

I would argue a pinball tournament is a contest of skill. Just like golf or fishing or pickelball or buck hunter pro, etc

#649 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

So if EBs are off and Replays are off pinball tournaments with 'purses' are legal?

According to the law. Actually replays are Allowed if you read one of the links I posted before.

Again I am not a lawyer but the law is the law.

I personally think a kickstarter should be started. We find a lawyer to interrupt the law.
I will throw in the first $100.

#658 7 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

But “Bookmaking” means the receiving, recording or forwarding of a bet or offer to bet on any contest of skill.
so having a outside prize pool may fall under Bookmaking and in no way the IFPA can be seen as Pari-mutuel

A bookmaker, bookie, or turf accountant is an organization that, or a person who, takes bets on sporting and other events at agreed-upon odds.

No one is placing a bet on any contestant so this does not apply.

Although I hear the over/under of Papa finishing by 4pm is 1 hour
Vegas odds are even Keith Elwin wins. Josh is coming in at 20-1 but only because he has to fly back and forth during the event.
In all seriousness, You are a great dad Josh to do that.

#663 7 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Does anyone know if WI law treats pinball as a game of skill? I haven't seen anything countering the one ball/bingo laws... yet.
Remember, lawmakers from the 40s/50s didn't think of pinball in the same way that we do today.

MGC is the only show to my knowledge that has had the law contact them. I really can't speak for them but I know they were threatened and in the end result in the lose of payout tournaments at MGC. I don't know The Who or how or why but I guess I can talk to them this weekend about it to get more information.
I don't know if it was misinterpreting the law by law officials or what. It could be a city problem as well and not just a state issue. Again, I don't know.
I believe they were threatened that the show would be shut down and that was a risk they were not willing to take.
What ever the case maybe, I would really like to know the facts regarding tournaments and tournament purses in WI.

#673 7 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

My understanding is...That in the Wisconsin law somewhere from WAY back, Pinball is still considered to have an element of chance to it, and that lumps it in with gambling... End of story. The law needs to be changed, but hasn't and probably won't unless you get the Tavern League and WAMO to push for a change in the law. And that probably isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Kickstarter?

#676 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

They don't care because they don't believe it.

You're onto it, but also wrong.
Youre all looking at the wrong part of the law. I'm going to go load a big truck because I can figure out how to do that. Find me at the show when I have free time and I can explain everything that people are overlooking.
But again, in short, what we do is technically illegal. So is a ton of stuff. There is really crappy enforcement.
Don't change the new IFPA rules for MGC, I've done just fine without prizes for years now too.
Play, seriously, big truck. In the rain. Anyone in the area want to help, pm me and I can send you the address. Hell, you can tell me how I'm wrong about the law in person!

Dan I believe 100%. I just want to know where it is in the law to possible get the law changed. It has been done in other areas, other cities . I just think the law is nonsense.
I can't take action if I have no basis on what I am taking action on.

I know you are busy so this is not the time to discuss it but after MGC I do want to see what is and what could be done to change it and I may be able to ask some friends to look into it.

#679 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

dan and I have talked for hours on this subject trying to figure out a way around it. I forgot what section of the law this pertains to.

No problem Neo. I didn't realize that. Sounds like you guys have tried in the past and that is good enough for me.

#684 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

but we can always use help, the more resources the better. if you want to help in the battle, we are all for it.

Absolutely we can talk more at MGC.

#747 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

exact same scenario in Madison. There will be 48 casual events this year and only 5-6 of the typical 16-30 people that attend will have any shot of making SCS. Those are the same players that also attend the large events (MGC, MRP, Wauna, Tom's). Quite a few of the casual but active players would drop $20 in donation to the state champ and national champ combined.
Rob, I dont think we managed to chat IFPA junk since we were having so much pinball fun, but needless to say... there will be an entirely free WI based alternative that closely assimilates the current system tracking. If you know and good web developers or coders that want to donate time to help then please let me know. There are a few guys much smarter in that world that I, and they are starting to get something together so we can test it out this year before needing to implement it for 2018.

So how are we going to support 2 ranking systems in WI? Are there going to be IFPA tournaments and then WI based alternative tournaments?

#836 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Player A will get points for finishing in 1st place, Player B will get points for finishing in 2nd place. Those will be the only two players listed in the standings if you pulled up the results on the IFPA wesbite.

Quoted from earthvsmattGR:

But how do the IFPA rankings work for those 2 players then?
Say out of 16 people 2 pay- let's call them player A and B.
Player A finishes 3rd, and player B finishes 9th-
Will player A and B get points for 3rd and 9th or for finishing 1st & 2nd (for IFPA ranking purposes)

Does that take way from the Legitimacy of the tournament and the rankings as a whole?

#837 7 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

And they will only get the points for a two player tournament, right? Which is practically nothing.

Right

#858 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

My god if they did this in Wisconsin the goddamn Staties would be in there toot sweet raid'n the joint

I would be happy to have you over to play some dollar games.

IMG_1574 (resized).JPGIMG_1574 (resized).JPG

#920 7 years ago

Did Bowen Kerins really have his name pulled off the rankings over this change?

Hilton is a good player. Sure he isn't Elwin or Zach or Bowen or etc but then again most of us aren't at their level.

2 weeks later
#1196 6 years ago

Interesting

So these IFPA Challenge Matches are not for WPPR points but but does affect/effect your IFPA player ranking?

If there is no 30 day rule, can I challenge someone at a location before I submit to the calendar or do we need preaproval via the calendar before a match can take place.

#1198 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

It impacts your IFPA player RATING.
You can challenge and play the match before submitting to our calendar. We plan on just using the calendar process to generate the results submission that would be needed for you to submit. No preapproval needed, just consent from your opponent.
We're working on potentially developing a system to live challenge another player through our website/app, with the results then automatically just flowing through to our system. (White collar solution)
Worst case we can 'fake' the calendar submissions on these to be able to get the results in the system. (Blue collar solution)

Sounds really fun Josh. I could this being done a lot out on location, tournaments, leagues, etc. I think it's a great idea.

#1203 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Somebody needs to whip up a web app (or mobile app I guess) to easily do these. Enter player names, start challenge, pick game, record win/loss, select next game, etc. wonder how hard it would be to roll into matchplay.events

Pretty easy. We use MatchPlay events for League. Software is great. Saves me multiple heads at league night. Literally saves Eric & I at least a half hour trying to figure out matches and games.

For this it would be just set up a 2 player tournament with best 4 of 7 series I assume.

4 months later
#1299 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

lol we're just putting the final touches on the payment module of our website that TD's will be using, so I'll go with "no".
That overwhelming silence you hear is the sound of acceptance
(Wisconsin not withstanding, although I'm sure Hilton has his emulated wppr system for WI ready to go at this point... it's been like five months)

Well I know I am the only TD in WI who has said they will run IFPA events in 2018 so I won't necessarily say the "sound of acceptance" is overwhelming here.
There are very little fee based tournaments in WI so I have been told NONE of them will run IFPA events in 2018 which I see as true.

Midwest Gamic Classic by far the biggest tournaments in WI = NO
MadRollin Pinball 78-80 people = NO
Madison and Milwaukee monthly events = NO

A guy in a small city running events in his basement = Yes

People in WI are NOT seeing the validity of the whole WI IFPA seen running out of my basement, which I totally understand, so yeah I am taking a little flack from this senario.

#1305 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

also, I am not giving Tom any flack (just to be clear) and I think each TD needs to make their own decision on what works for them.
I personally wont be running any IFPA events in 2018, but that is a personal decision for me to make just like it is Toms decision to make.
I do think when the largest public events in a state are no longer IFPA, then it makes it kind of silly for the whole system to happen at all based on a minority subset (much like it is silly to allow events to be partial IFPA based on the players that buy in if a TD wants to do that), but that is the fractures the IFPA has set in motion with the new rules.
I guess it will be interesting to see how this experiment plays out. For me it sucked away most of the fun I used to get from competitive pinball.

Actually Hilton has not given me any problems what so ever.

I probably shouldn't have said flack because that is not accurate.
More like players are concerned and voicing their opinions about the subject.
This is not coming from Hilton but the WI pinball community as a whole.

#1306 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

In all seriousness it will work itself out. Hilton has our entire database of results to have his Wisconsin model all ready to go for 2018. WI players should have a variety of motivations to keep playing competitively outside of the official SCS process. FUN should still and always be the priority.
I've received multiple emails from ops in Wisconsin that plan on registering their events for IFPA sanctioning. The only way to see how this plays out is to let the 2018 season do its thing.
We do have a couple of potential SCS tweaks up for debate right now (discussion is over on Tilt Forums - http://tiltforums.com/t/suggestion-for-2018-scs/3163).

I clicked on the link and got this

IMG_2797 (resized).PNGIMG_2797 (resized).PNG

#1330 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We read about 25 pages of cheeseheads telling us they were taking their cheddar, going home, and starting their own $1-fee-free WPPR knockoff system. Cause how difficult could that be? Those Chicago ripoff artists threw this shit together in 10 minutes and now are trying to scam us all for a buck!
For months we waited with baited breath for the big unveiling!! And now it turns out it was too hard?
So we are back at square one and get to hear all about it again. Sweet.
Maybe the $1 per person per tournament fee is cheaper and easier than coming up with your own system? Who saw that coming?

You big fancy New York carpetbaggers flashing and waving your $1 bills up in the air at us poor Wisconsin folk. With your big fancy city location pinball in your back door with your big fancy high class pinball tournaments.

#1334 6 years ago

You went too high Josh. Had you asked a penny per person you would have been set.
Remember the days when you could get CDs for a penny.

IMG_2805 (resized).JPGIMG_2805 (resized).JPG

#1336 6 years ago

What does the average pinball player pay to play pinball?

My guess is I send roughly about $300-400 a year playing in tournaments if not more.

#1361 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

We at SAPP will be taking the dollar from the prize pool of each tournament. No one cared when we brought it up.

What if........there was no prize pool!?

Dun..Dun....dunnnnnnnnnnn!

#1363 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

He didn't say you should try it behind the cheddar curtain. He said that's what his group will do.

Quit bringing Cheese into this Yancy! Never disrespect the cheese!

#1368 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

In over 8 years of competitive pinball playing I can honestly say I do not believe I have ever entered a pinball tournament that was free to play in it and/or did not offer a prize pool of any kind.
Here in the events I run, it will simply come out of the prize pool. Casual players won't miss it cause they don't win anyway...usually... and competitive players will have the chance to earn it back at the SCS. I figure if anything this change hurts me more then casuals as I will lose out on prize money in most events and I have one shot to win it back at the end of the year. Plus, every event here gives back to all players with free pizza and/or free beer and/or free random prize giveaways too. You honestly would be a fool to not play in events here locally, even if you go out first round you get all your money back in pizza, beer and prizes regardless.

That is not true John. You have played at the Midwest Gaming Classic which has been free since at least 2015. No fee. No prize pool.
Imagine 158 people played for free and no prizes in 2016.
You should be ashamed of yourself.

Remind me to move to MN next time we see each other.

#1371 6 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

I could of played in the MGC Tournament without purchasing tickets to the show? If no, it wasn't free.

Sure I see what you are getting at but you don't have to play in the tournament to go to the show either.

Are there any other shows that provide a free tournament with the price of admission?

#1376 6 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

MAGfest for one

I was just going to signup. Looks like it is $85 to attend.

#1415 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

You missed my comment about the formula being used for the players AFTER 1st place.
First place simply gets whatever the full value is calculated out to be (Base Value + TVA) * (TGP%).
In your example let's just say the 10 points is the TOTAL.
Per our distribution formula, 1 POINT is distributed in a linear fashion, while the other 9 POINTS are distributed in a dynamic fashion.
So for 2nd place on down you're exactly right with respect to how the LINEAR points are distributed.
Just to help you more, here's a real world example from one of the tournaments you played in:
https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=18370
1  Hilton Jones 7.4
2  Maya Nigrosh 3.57
3  Sean Spindler 2.11
4  Thomas LaTendresse 1.31
5  Bryon Schmitz 0.85
6  Karl Luhrs 0.61
7  Luke Dillon 0.48
8  Nick Stanton 0.42
9  Brodde Peterson 0.37
10  Shane Kloppenburg 0.32
11  Garrett Peterson 0.28
12  Zach Starr 0.23
13  Jason LaTendresse 0.18
14  Mike Williams 0.14
15  Mark Hagen 0.09
16  Steven P Jones 0.05
Here's the Linear + Dynamic breakdown of that result from our database:
1 0.74 6.66 7.4
2 0.69 2.88 3.57
3 0.65 1.46 2.11
4 0.6 0.71 1.31
5 0.55 0.3 0.85
6 0.51 0.1 0.61
7 0.46 0.02 0.48
8 0.42 0 0.42
9 0.37 0 0.37
10 0.32 0 0.32
11 0.28 0 0.28
12 0.23 0 0.23
13 0.18 0 0.18
14 0.14 0 0.14
15 0.09 0 0.09
16 0.05 0 0.05

IMG_2821 (resized).JPGIMG_2821 (resized).JPG

#1423 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would like to see the change to all home leagues being forced into 1 x year reporting.
I think that would be a good shift. If we are honest, these leagues are essentially private events and a random cant just walk in any month and play (we added a sub list to our local collector league to make this more of an option and make it more fair, but we still require and understandable vetting and randoms cant just show up). The current rules have incentivized IFPA hungy leagues to kind of bastardized their formats from the traditional idea of a year long league and instead run mini-seasons to maximize points. I know a few route only players that get screwed by this and have rightfully taken offense to it. I have had an internal debate about this for a while. Leagues will of course follow the incentives, so only natural to have them running the mini-seasons under the current system.
I would like to see this compromise and just make it a rule that events held in private locations as part of an ongoing league must either report individually (i.e. each house reports as their own event; which will prevent the point maximizing) or must report as a single annual league/ 1 x per year; preference is that a league report as a 1x per year event.

Doesn't the Madison League allow Subs? Doesn't the Madison League run mini seasons?

#1427 6 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

That is awesome! Would you consider creating a google sheet and sharing?
Marcus

I second and third and fourth this. It is just awesome.

#1433 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Yeah, Madison League allows subs which was a nice compromise to make it more open and has worked out nicely for that effect.
Yes, they also run the mini-season format which I have realized is kind of silly. It was done to maximize WPPRs throughout the year as that si hwo the current system works.
I assume Fox valley does the same thing? Basically run 2 months combined in order to maximize WPPRs and then report 6 times a year. Do you still crown an end of year champ based off the combined mini-seasons?
After being part of a colelctors league for a few years, I think it si more appropriate to report 1x per year. However, unless the IFPA puts it in the rules then the leagues will just gravitate towards the outcome we currently have (assuming points are their goal)

I do prefer the mini seasons. If someone gets ahead during the year early in a season that is a year long, attendance drops off because it is nearly impossible to catch anyone. Having a fresh start is nice.

I think running a league quarterly makes more sense to me.

I believe we do ours differently in that we play MatchPlay in groups of 3/4 where you guys do a best game tournament format and then have a playoff.
We use MatchPlay.com which has been great because we use to draw games every round.
One thing we did differently this year is do the matches in a Swiss format by there overall score. If you are scoring higher you are going to be playing people that are also scoring higher which makes it pretty competitive. It reminds me more of the Pinburgh format.

#1434 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

talking about private home leages which are effectively private unless you know someone or get in at the start of a season.
I have no issue with completely public locations where anyone can join at any time doing whatever they want.
I have always struggled with the desire to maximize WPPRs vs being really public for the 'private' collector leagues.

Quoted from Black_Knight:

Still don't understand your hangup here. Do you think people are cheating, or is it unfair that people have collections, or should they have to pay to play on location to count?
How would there be any competitive pinball in GA if we had to play in public?

Unfortunately in our area there are no locations with more than one pin so meeting up at a bar with one pin with 24 people is a little tough.

I don't think anyone should be penalized for not playing at a public location as long as the IFPA standards are maintained.

So in 2018 you won't mind me heading to Madison and running an IFPA event at one of your locations?

#1436 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I dont have any problem with that and welcome players to feel free to do so. Please just let us know in advance so we can coordinate with the location owners and maintain that relationship/ ensure they are OK with timing and dont have other conflicting events planned.

Sweet!

#1445 6 years ago

By the way is tiltforums.com down?

#1447 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I heard moderators just closed all the threads

#1449 6 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

502 error site seems 100% dead

Thanks Joe. It's been down since yesterday.

#1451 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Shoot, I really don't care about the $1. Everyone is talking about driving competitive pinball and yet we allow things like the below to be "acceptable". Do you really think this represents the best players in a state? It's all about how many events some people play. Some type of average needs to be implemented to truly represent the best in a state.
I removed the names to not call out people specifically since nobody is breaking any rules (and most of them are really nice stand up guys) but can you really pose a good argument that the green accompanied by the yellow boxes shows that these players are the better players than what you see in the blue boxes? I stopped at 16 as that is the cut off.
Yeah yeah yeah - I know the responses already. Why don't you just create more events or play in more. That's not the spirit of what is trying to be accomplished. Those who play in 50+ events in a year shouldn't be rewarded nor should those that can only do 15 or so events a year. Seriously, some people have families and forcing them to leave them to play pinball multiple times a week so that they can compete is putting priority on the wrong things in life.
This doesn't drive competitive play, it pushes it out. I know several players that have given up even trying because of exploits like this occurring.
I've seen the "numbers" of what it would look like if you limit entries right now which only impacts 2-3 people (which I argue is substantial in a max 16 person field) but the flaw in those numbers right now is we still have 3.5 months left of entries that will make it even more lopsided.

Didn't take me long to find out which state. Maybe take the World rankings out of the picture.

#1452 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Shoot, I really don't care about the $1. Everyone is talking about driving competitive pinball and yet we allow things like the below to be "acceptable". Do you really think this represents the best players in a state? It's all about how many events some people play. Some type of average needs to be implemented to truly represent the best in a state.
I removed the names to not call out people specifically since nobody is breaking any rules (and most of them are really nice stand up guys) but can you really pose a good argument that the green accompanied by the yellow boxes shows that these players are the better players than what you see in the blue boxes? I stopped at 16 as that is the cut off.
Yeah yeah yeah - I know the responses already. Why don't you just create more events or play in more. That's not the spirit of what is trying to be accomplished. Those who play in 50+ events in a year shouldn't be rewarded nor should those that can only do 15 or so events a year. Seriously, some people have families and forcing them to leave them to play pinball multiple times a week so that they can compete is putting priority on the wrong things in life.
This doesn't drive competitive play, it pushes it out. I know several players that have given up even trying because of exploits like this occurring.
I've seen the "numbers" of what it would look like if you limit entries right now which only impacts 2-3 people (which I argue is substantial in a max 16 person field) but the flaw in those numbers right now is we still have 3.5 months left of entries that will make it even more lopsided.

They did the work, they deserve a chance.

There has been some talk about a number cap on events for scs but in every scenario it seems the top 16 are the same

#1460 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Sounds like the "everyone should get a trophy" mentality of the world these days.
I'm of the opinion that only those that prove their skill is one of the top 16 in a state should get to play.

If they are so bad of players then you should have no trouble beating them at state and you should not be concerned .

If you are sitting at 16-20 then get out and play.

#1474 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

kind of off topic, but what happened to the pin-golf world league thing for this year?
I thought I remembered some sort of thing where there was supposed to be a conglomerate ranking for all pin-golf related events for the year?

https://www.ifpapinball.com/pingolf/

#1478 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Where are the current "tour" standings?

That's what Josh was saying......There is no tour.

#1482 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

That's exactly right.
I thought we had made the process complicated enough that we would destroy the Pin-Golf format for good (j/k).
We obviously have a ton on our plate right now, but seeing how the Pin-Golf formats definitely survived the "Tour requirements" this year, I do have an item on the agenda to make something of this at some point.
It might end up being something as simple as having your event on the "Tour" gets the winner of your event free entry into the IFPA Pin-Masters each year ($100 value).

That would be awesome to have a free entry to Pin Masters as a prize if that was implemented.

#1496 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The FSPA rule set handles this with playoffs, a 10 week season, and handicapping via grouping of the players.
Even after the full season... most players are still within one week's points of making the playoffs... and even one point is relevant after 10 weeks of play.
Sometimes people think they are a lost cause, but I can't remember anyone dropping out due to that. The handicapping keeps competition tight... and breaks down only when the player skill gap is too huge.

How does handicapping work? What determines who receives the handicap?

1 month later
#1500 6 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Has anyone noticed that Bowen is now a suppressed player?

Oh you better watch out.

In other news.... Super States in 2018. Top 20 results per state.

1 month later
3 weeks later
#1578 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

I’m trying to figure out how to ask this without it coming across as a complaint. Ok... probably won’t succeed. But has it already been discussed how the top 16 in each state get a BIG head start on standings against the rest of the field for the next years SCS? They get points for the SCS that anyone outside the top 16 can’t compete for in the current year. I understand that on the macro level (i.e. multi year standings) that everyone competing in any tourneys has a chance to go for those points... and it makes sense to me that they should get points in the overall standings in some fashion to help rank them in their overall WPPR standing. But, when you are looking at the points in a certain year it would seem to me to create an unfair uphill battle for those not in that group to work against. Maybe this is the wrong thread, but I just noticed it when looking at the initial standings by state for most states that only have the SCS and maybe 1 or 2 more events submitted. Should those points maybe count toward overall WPPR standing, but in the prior year for the yearly standings? Just curious...

Yes been talked about before.
You could hold an event the same day as SCS and gets points. In fact, you could have more players, grade out to 100% and get more points than the players playing in SCS.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 179.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 26.50
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint-denis-sur-richelieu, QC
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomgwi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-charging-fees-for-tournaments-in-2018?tu=tomgwi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.