IMG_2821 (resized).JPG
IMG_2805 (resized).JPG
DonationJar (resized).png
IMG_2797 (resized).PNG
IMG_4030 (resized).JPG
towelie_tough_guy (resized).jpg
towelie-no_you_are (resized).png
IMG_5752 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevevt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1066 6 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

So now that we are going to be subsidizing state and national tournament prize pools, will people be restricted to one state?0
I see there are 22 people in the top 100 that are actually in Pennsylvania. If it were to end right now, I would need 96 points to make it to the State Championship. That means I'd need to win about 25 local tournaments / leagues to actually make it to the Championship.
Sounds realistic.
I recognize all 16 names as being pro players....including 40% of the IFPA staff, whom are adamant that we are to contribute money to the prize pool.
Shady if you ask me.....

If you really were interested in qualifying in PA, I'd think you'd want to play in all three PAPA classics instead of just the first one. So maybe start there next year?

It also appears that you've never played Pinburgh. These events, along with PAPA A, are the big events that anyone interested in playing in the PA state championship is basically obligated to play. If hundreds of players can come from out of state and outside the USA to do it, a 3-hour drive isn't really that much of a commitment.

If your complaint is that PA is super-competitive with lots of top-ranked players guaranteed to be in the state championship, I don't think anyone would argue with that. But there's definitely a path to success for getting there, and it doesn't appear that you're taking it.

#1069 6 years ago

Am I to assume that everyone on the Pennsylvania list has chose to play in the Pa State Championship? Is this choice made at the beginning of the year?

Nope. At the end of the year, each player can elect to play in one state championship. And only one.

Lots of the players who are qualified in PA will not be playing in that state because they will be playing elsewhere.

You can probably get historical data from the IFPA to see where the cut line of the qualifying position that ended up as the 16 seed in all previous PA championships, and see a more realistic picture of what you need to aim for.

#1075 6 years ago

A friend of mine that I haven't seen in 5 years drove in from Ohio to hang out. Instead of say "hey, I'm going to play in a tournament all day, thanks for coming, I'll see you in another 5 years", I decided to spend some time with him.
Either way, the entire 3 points would have really rocketed me up in the standings.

I'm sure those hundreds of players are skilled enough to get more than 1.5 points. I am however, not.

My complaint is funding a state prize fund for people that don't live in the state, let alone some that don't even live with 1000 miles of the state.

Every PA event you play counts toward your state ranking. More events can only be a good thing. I encourage you to play as much as possible.

Based on you saying that you're relatively new, I'll assume that you're still improving. The more you play competitively, the faster that will happen.

The prize pool is for everyone who plays in an event in PA in a given year. And it's funded by those same people. Seems reasonable to me. If anything, the fact that players will come from far away and add a huge value to the PA state championship -- even though they have no intention or ability to play in it -- is a huge benefit to the people who do play in it.

I don't live in PA and I won't be playing in your championship even if I qualified, but I will no doubt contribute a few dollars in 2018 that you have an actual chance to win.

Forgot to mention that Pittsburgh Pinball Open and the Intergalactic Championship at ReplayFX are two other big events that you should play in if you want those sweet PA SCS points.

5 months later
#1453 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Yeah yeah yeah - I know the responses already. Why don't you just create more events or play in more. That's not the spirit of what is trying to be accomplished. Those who play in 50+ events in a year shouldn't be rewarded nor should those that can only do 15 or so events a year. Seriously, some people have families and forcing them to leave them to play pinball multiple times a week so that they can compete is putting priority on the wrong things in life.
This doesn't drive competitive play, it pushes it out. I know several players that have given up even trying because of exploits like this occurring.

This is not an exploit. This is how the system was designed.

Ask location owners whether they'd rather have a system that welcomes people who play in 50+ events, or if they'd rather have the players who (you claim) are dropping out but who only play in a handful.

#1466 6 years ago

Saying that the SCS system sucks because it doesn't try to put the 16 best players in each state championship is like saying that People magazine's Most Beautiful Women In the World list sucks because it only includes celebrities. Technically true, but whining about it just shows you don't really understand the purpose of it.

Interestingly, I think we both sort of want the same thing. I want lots of people to get really good at pinball, and to be able to be recognized for it. I also happen to think that playing a ton is a really good way to become really good, and I like the fact that the current system encourages exactly that.

Sincerely,
#1 in Massachusetts but not playing there because I don't live there and need to run my own state's tournament so there will be one

4 months later
#1563 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

When is the site going to update with the 2018 state info? Just curious to check out the look with the cap at 20/state, etc.

https://www.ifpapinball.com/nacs/standings.php

#1603 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

For example, if I register my IFPA Tournament Manager under "[email protected]", and then pay through Stripe referencing "[email protected]" . . . my tournament manager account would show ZERO CREDITS because it was added to a different email address.

I have no idea who would ever do such a thing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 179.00
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint-denis-sur-richelieu, QC
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevevt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-charging-fees-for-tournaments-in-2018?tu=stevevt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.