IMG_2821 (resized).JPG
IMG_2805 (resized).JPG
DonationJar (resized).png
IMG_2797 (resized).PNG
IMG_4030 (resized).JPG
towelie_tough_guy (resized).jpg
towelie-no_you_are (resized).png
IMG_5752 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

WTF?
GREED!
Shame on your sharpe brothers!
I seriously thought this was an April Fools joke! Amazed that this is just another way for you and your buddies to line their pockets.
Please explain how this is good for competitive pinball.
I can do the simple math that we run ~48 events this year in Madison with an average attendance of 20 people. That would be a 960 fee required from the player base this year in order to have these events sponsored? Where is that money going exactly?
720 to the WI SCS champ? Screw that. I m not paying in $50 prize pool for playing each year just so 4 possible winners can get a $720 pay check.
25% then to nationals pool.
Curious, how much money would this have netted you and Zach from this year if is was in place?

It's only a buck per player. Most of them are buying multiple $5-8 beers during the tournaments anyway. It will help make the SCS more interesting, and make nationals a bigger event. I'm in favor of it, though I agree that April 1 was very poor timing for the announcement. imho, Josh and Zach are beyond reproach. They spend a lot of volunteer time supporting our hobby.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Who is gonna pony up the $1 per player fee for ghost players at modern?!

This is actually a really good question. Does this kill Superleagues?

#19 7 years ago

I've never run an event. Obviously, that doesn't mean I can't voice a valid opinion. I have attended my fair share of tournaments. I appreciate all the hard work the TDs do. You all deserve lots of credit. $1 is a minimal fee. Just take it from the prize pool if you don't want to ask the venue. Most of our tournaments are $5 entry anyway. Nobody's really showing up because of the prize money. I think the WPPRs are a bigger draw than the prize money, at least for most players.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

In WI, there are 4 events each year that have an entry fee and pay out prizes.
Over 90% are free to play besides coin drop. Prize pools are not what people play for and what has built the sport up to be such a fun thing is the LACK of cash involved.

This is a good point. I did not realize there were so many "free" WPPR eligible tournaments in WI. I've never seen one in CO. We always have a $5 entry fee for the monthly tournaments. I guess it's not a big deal if everyone is already used to paying to play. I can see your point on this. Could be tough to ask people to pay if they're used to playing for free.

#127 7 years ago

What is the anticipated impact on "Superleague?" We don't have this in CO, but I saw one recently in Tucson, AZ. Just curious.

#166 7 years ago

Josh, do I understand correctly?

People get to decide whether to "opt in" or "opt out" AFTER the results are in? Is that the intent? Seems bizarre. Should definitely lock in a decision before the event starts.

Or, better still, everyone is opted in, regardless.

#505 7 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

If doing "professional" tournaments with a fee is the only way to gain WPPR points to qualify for the SCS, then I suspect I'll just stick to my local league and competitive pinball for me will die on the vine.

You could just pay the buck (gasp) and continue to enjoy competitive pinball.

#509 7 years ago

It seems like any Wisconsin players who like the WPPR system are not going to enjoy 2018. That's a shame.

I think playing with a little $ on the line enhances the fun of competition. I hardly ever win anything, but it's fun to try.

Personally, I'm looking forward to SCS getting a boost in attention and competitiveness (though already pretty tough in CO).

Also, I'll enjoy the inevitable stories about the big money national tournament. Highly unlikely I'll ever make it, but I can cheer on the CO winner.

#595 7 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I agree that the points seems too small for the magnitude of the event, but most of me thinks there shouldn't be any points awarded at all (for SCS or Nationals), since the IFPA explicitly states that prohibiting players based on skill would make it ineligible for WPPR endorsement. https://www.ifpapinball.com/faq/

I know it says that, but that should be changed. Of all of our tournaments, that's the one people take the most seriously. It should be worth a lot of WPPRs.

#598 7 years ago

Will WI SCS be worth WIPPRs?

#600 7 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Yeah people take the tournament seriously, but they already won more points than everyone else to get there. Then they get to play in a tournament with only the top point earners, and get more free points. ("Free points" because others are locked out of competing for them).
And as whysnow mentions, since it happens in the following calendar year, it gives all of the best players from the previous year a nice head start on the rest of the field.

Reasonable points.

Agree to disagree. imho, all competition should contribute to rankings. If the top 2 chess players are invited to a private heads up match, the results are very relevant to their relative skill and rank. It doesn't matter if not everyone was invited.

P.s. Not to wander further off-topic, but I think PAPA B, C and D divisions should be worth WPPRs for the same logic.

#607 7 years ago

Ryan, cogent thoughts as always.

What is the added benefit of having a "ranking" system?

Why is the #1 player in the world considered the top ranked player not the top "rated" player, as in chess (I think).

1 week later
#915 7 years ago

Whysnow is a very high level player also #259 / 48,977. He stands to benefit financially from the increased prize pools as well. But still, he thinks it will hurt pinball in Wisconsin. Not to mention the legal implications.

He can be pretty strident and opinionated, but he's a really good guy and a great player.

I, for one, wish he wouldn't insist upon fragmenting the system by creating the WIPPR rebellion or whatever. The IFPA isn't perfect, and this idea has flaws, but I think it is still our best option.

#919 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

high ranking and good are not directly related. someone that plays a ton of events that racks up points, doesn't directly reflect how good of a player they are.

Not 100% correlated, but definitely positively correlated. Plus, I've played with him and can attest he can play.

1 month later
#1285 6 years ago
Quoted from Bhampinwiz:

It helps the pinball world to grow , look at who won this year . A 13 year old kid . It's proof enough that you can beat the best in the world if you just show up.

Um....he did a little more than show up. He's a serious high level competitor.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 10.00
2,520 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 179.00
$ 18.95
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint-denis-sur-richelieu, QC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-charging-fees-for-tournaments-in-2018?tu=russell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.