IMG_2821 (resized).JPG
IMG_2805 (resized).JPG
DonationJar (resized).png
IMG_2797 (resized).PNG
IMG_4030 (resized).JPG
towelie_tough_guy (resized).jpg
towelie-no_you_are (resized).png
IMG_5752 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinlink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#308 7 years ago

So if our local league has 40 players, but only half decide to pay the fee, will our league now only be worth half the points?

#327 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

So if our local league has 40 players, but only half decide to pay the fee, will our league now only be worth half the points?

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, obviously.

Well...that just sucks.

Seems like the points should remain the same, just not awarded to those that did not pay. If I beat 20 people in league (some of which are the best in the state), but none of them pay the fee, I would still like my points to reflect that. Seems like I would be punished for others not paying the fee.

#336 7 years ago

Seems like this is going over like a lead balloon so far, yet the IFPA is dead set on rolling out this "science experiment" as Josh is calling it.

Why not listen to the feedback and consider different options? Or consider repealing this "science experiment" all together? Is it just ego at this point?

1 week later
#784 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Not at all. Players don't have to play in "endorsed" events to be playing competitive pinball.
The advancement of the sport is to focus on garnering the media attention that can help put pinball back in the dialogue of a world that currently doesn't discuss it as much as they should.
With that media attention comes a whole new world of opportunity to introduce new players to the game even existing, let alone a game that can be played competitively.
We're implementing this as a way to give ourselves a better chance at landing that media attention at a more meaningful level.

So more money = more media attention? going from $100 payout to $1,000 will draw in major news outlets to cover pinball?

How large does the prize pool need to be in order to gain this media attention that is so sure to follow?

#946 7 years ago

Big Buck Hunter is being brought up a lot.

The problem is that BBH is not pinball. BBH is one single game that is very easy to understand for people who don't actually play the game. You shoot some animals, and you don't shoot others.

Pinball on the other hand, is not just one single game. There are literally 1000's of different games. All with different and complicated rules, and with different strategies. Very difficult for a non-player to watch a game of pinball and understand fully what the player's objectives are and why.

I don't think this plan will work to expand the competitive scene of pinball like it may have worked with BBH.

1 week later
#1132 6 years ago

I'm so tired of hearing "it worked for Big Buck Hunter!"

Big Buck Hunter is not pinball.

BBH is 1 single game with a very simple objective. Pinball is literally 1000's of different games all with complicated rules and different strategies which are hard to understand for the general public. It's very easy for the general public to understand how to play BBH, which makes it appeal to a MUCH larger audience and easier to get corporate sponsors.

You are comparing apples to oranges, Josh.

Shrinking the competitive pinball scene, and following what worked for BBH, is not the answer.

#1166 6 years ago

How will success for this be measured? I haven't seen that yet.

5 months later
#1314 6 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

About as hard as paying a dollar?
Guys, give it a rest.

Folks continue to use the "it's just a dollar!!!" argument.

It is not "just a dollar". We have covered this. It's $1 per event per person. It will also have a negative impact on bringing new players into the world of competitive pinball.

Give it a rest.

#1318 6 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Yeah, we have covered this and it's still happening.
You guys need to lighten up.

Yeah, you're just not getting it. Keep screaming "it's just a dollar!". Maybe we'll start to understand.

#1324 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

So "it's just a dollar per person per event" then?

I think it's just $1 to cover everyone for the entire year.

#1326 6 years ago

For me it would end up at around $40-$60 per year. You can keep screaming at me that "it's just $1" but it's really not.

Sure I could just play less tournament/league pinball, and that's probably what will happen. But that sucks.

There are people in our local league stating that they will stop playing or play less as a result of this too.

This will hurt the world of competitive pinball (numbers wise). Not sure how anyone thinks it will actually help and bring in more people. That is laughable. If you disagree that is totally fine, but the "it's just a dollar" argument is old. It's also more work for the TD's and will complicate things.

#1333 6 years ago

For the "just 1 dollar" folks.

Imagine your cell phone company called you.

Phone company: "Hey, we are going to start charging you $1 for every phone call you make. But don't worry it's just a dollar!"
You: "But wait, that is going to really add up. I make a lot of calls."
Phone company: "No no no you aren't getting it. It is just 1 dollar."
You: "But I like to make calls, its fun and that is what I spend most of my free time doing."
Phone company: "I don't think you are getting it, it's really just 1 dollar. You can just make less phone calls if the $1 per call is a problem. We actually expect more people to use our service with this new plan!"

#1341 6 years ago

lol the point was to try and help out the "it's just $1" folks understand how it in fact is not "just $1". But I'm glad my awesome analogy took away from the point. Admittedly it was a lazy analogy.

It will cost me $50-$60 per year. If you want to explain to me how that is actually just $1, go for it.

I'm glad that the money is not an issue for most people here. The fact is, it will affect how much I (and others) play competitively which sucks IMO. Josh claims it will help bring more people to the hobby. I disagree. That's really it.

#1347 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

It's kinda poetic that the man who saved pinball would go on to father the man who killed pinball. Some real Kylo Ren shit.

Yancy, aren't you the one that said this?

Anyway, I will try my best to make more money so that I can be on the same level as you guys. Yes $60 is a lot of money to me. I guess I should be ashamed.

#1402 6 years ago

How will the effectiveness of this plan be measured? Number of active players in IFPA?

#1405 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

It will be considered a success if we're able to generate more than $18,800 in funds for the year.
If we don't hit at least that amount, it's likely that we kill this campaign from continuing past the first year.

Gotcha. How did you guys come to that number? Just curious.

#1410 6 years ago

Thanks for the explanation, Josh.

So it's all based on how much money is generated for the top players in the US. Doesn't matter if the number of active players is cut in half, as long as the elite players are making a little more cash then this was a success.

Still can't see how this is going to help bring in new people to pinball. I don't think larger pots are going to draw in a ton of new people who think they can compete with the big dogs for the $$, or more media coverage. That's like me seeing huge prize pools in golf so I decide to learn the sport in hopes of competing with the pros and winning. But I can't see the future, and am bad with analogies.

3 months later
#1510 6 years ago
Quoted from jfre81:

$1 buys me one game on a Ghostbusters Pro at the nearest location with any pinball (just that one)
What's the big deal here? I'm missing it.

I hope they picked out something good for dinner out of the Dollar General frozen section.

Yeah, you really are missing it.

#1541 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Just FYI from our database guru:
January 2017 : 280 Tournaments - 227 were US and Canada Tournaments
January 2018 : 373 Tournaments (scheduled) - 302 are US and Canada Tournaments

Wouldn't that be a result of growing pinball the year prior (2017), and not a result of implementing a fee?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 179.00
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 10.00
$ 18.95
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinlink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-charging-fees-for-tournaments-in-2018?tu=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.