IMG_2821 (resized).JPG
IMG_2805 (resized).JPG
DonationJar (resized).png
IMG_2797 (resized).PNG
IMG_4030 (resized).JPG
towelie_tough_guy (resized).jpg
towelie-no_you_are (resized).png
IMG_5752 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#159 7 years ago

Everyone has been getting something for nothing for so long they are complacent. Even still, I don't see the big deal? It all makes perfect sense and I have no problem with the cream rising to the top players just like every other sport in existence. To me the Eric Stone deserved $10,000 plus an NIB for winning the Nationals. You want this to be a worldwide sport? Deal with it. Hopefully this will also reduce the pressure for local leagues to have IFPA points and maybe some return these local events to simply "for fun" as they should be. I liked tournament play much better when only the big tournaments at shows had actual points.

Quoted from zacaj:

Unless your goal is just to filter out all the 'non serious' tournaments, in which case this'll work great for 75% of them. Good riddance in that case, as the restrictive ifpa concept of what a tournament should be is really killing a lot of creativity

I think this captures some good points. There are definitely a lot of what I would call marginal tournaments designed to provide points to a specific player or two while stuffing the field with relatives and non players. There are also a lot of tournaments at local events that are unnecessarily grueling just to get 100% of the possible points.

#736 7 years ago
Quoted from tayamo:

Again, I say to those being dicks - Stop!

I can't believe what dicks people are being over this. It is one thing to disagree and have a debate, but the petty personal attacks do nothing to further your case. In fact it makes people look like...well...whiny dicks.

#800 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

this leaves the city and goes to elite players.

LOL. The so called elite players have to come from somewhere. Why should they supply their own prize pool anyway? That makes zero sense.

#823 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think it makes a lot of sense. Why should they get a carry from the casuals that never plan to win the big pot of money at the end. The pot of money should come from other elite players who all want to win the money...not from someone who is having their first tournament experience.

So if I go play in some huge poker tournament that I have no chance of winning, I should not be expected to buy in until I make the final table and at that point my buy-in will be 200 times what it would have been? No seriously though the whole idea of competition is to try to win. Eric Stone came from nowhere and played in every tournament that I was in during 2016; even the Podunk ones. He ended up winning the SCS and beat Zach in the final round. The how many of the state champs who took time off work and flew out for the finals won enough to even cover their travel expenses? Does it seem fair to make them pay an additional $200 each to pump up the pot? Sorry, that makes zero sense. What makes more sense is the pay a tiny fee for all sanctioned tournament plays, so that the winners get rewards that are commensurate with being a National Champion of a sport with thousands of competitors.

An yes, people like seeing their name on the website and being tracked and ranked. That is a big part of why there are so many tournaments and players compared to five years ago. Up until now we were all getting something for nothing and meanwhile the people behind the scenes have been busting their asses keeping the rankings up to date. Time to pony up or get out. If playing in a casual tournament is the goal then do that and there is no need to get IFPA sanctioned and no need to pay - especially if you think no one has a chance to even win the state. If you want to play with the big boys, then pony up the $1 and be happy someone is doing all the behind the scenes work to keep this system afloat.

#943 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Pinholics here runs and charges $20 for a one day event.

That's cheap. A typical pump and dump tournament at $10 for 3 plays can easily take $100+ from each player for qualifying. Whether its a free tournament or a pump and dump, its still just an effin dollar!! Either accept it or play without IFPA points. If only the elite players benefit anyway, why get so pumped up about getting off the train? You are still playing organized tournaments, just without IFPA points. Obviously the system means a lot if people are pitching such a hissy fit. No way this level of reaction from something that isn't actually worth a dollar.

#945 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Well I would never put a pump and dump event into a conversation about casual or new players. Heck, many established players won't even be in the discussion

Haha, true. On the other hand, every pump and dump I have ever seen has at least six people play $10 or $20 just to be able to say they played in a tournament and/or try it out. Also, some shows give a free $10 entry with the price of admission just to stimulate interest in the tournament.

#971 7 years ago
Quoted from JNX:

That is not true at all.

The truth is easy to see. Up until now we've been getting something valuable for free. Now it's not free. Must be worth at least a dollar for you to be complaining so much.

We should all be thankful to have hard working ambassadors of pinball putting this system together over the past however many years and now poised to take the next step forward.

1 week later
#1053 7 years ago
Quoted from JNX:

I do take issue with folks( not you) saying to just sneak it by, or suggesting that "players won't even realize I am taking a dollar out." It's insulting, to say the least, if not outright criminal.

Can you be more of a broken record? You made this ridiculous charge a dozen times in this thread. You have made your point, so time to quit playing IFPA sanctioned pinball or pay the effin dollar.

#1131 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

There was this whole community of active TDs, players, hosts, etc... that all felt vested in helping to make the IFPA better and to help competitive pinball grow. I think you have missed that for many people the passion seems personal because they have vested and invested in something that up till now had that greater good community thing happening. You now took that all away and even devalualed some of the personal investment for many. I think this is some of the hurt.

You dont simply get buy-in back when you abuse the inherent trust of a community and then say "oops, fun social experiement" after a year.

As a TD, host and player I totally disagree. I sure hope that you are not trying to speak for the rest of us, because it sure sounds that way. While the system has been far from perfect it has still literally created a framework for the whole planet to be part of. It is impossible to create a system that is square peg in square hole for 100% of the localities. The laws in WI seem to be a round hole, but it still appears you are on tilt and blowing this out of proportion. Josh is more than willing to work with you few squeaky wheels and all the while you keep trying to put him down, accuse him of who knows what and put a shiv in his back.

#1199 6 years ago

Sounds cool. I definitely have challenge matches a lot when friends come over. Its fun to go from game to game and talk sh*t. Now the match could actually mean something besides dollars.

1 week later
#1275 6 years ago

Putting on a tournament is for the most part a thankless job. No matter how much time you put into making everything the best it can be, most of the public and behind the back feedback is nit picking on how it could be better or downright complaining. Fortunately there are always people who really appreciate what it takes to put on a good tournament and let me know. It is those people that I put in the extra hours of preparation for.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 26.50
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint-denis-sur-richelieu, QC
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-charging-fees-for-tournaments-in-2018?tu=john_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.