IMG_2821 (resized).JPG
IMG_2805 (resized).JPG
DonationJar (resized).png
IMG_2797 (resized).PNG
IMG_4030 (resized).JPG
towelie_tough_guy (resized).jpg
towelie-no_you_are (resized).png
IMG_5752 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider evandickson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 6 years ago

Seems very reasonable to me. As long as I've known about ifpa, I've been amazed that it's free. It takes a of time, effort, and passion to hold something like that together.

#436 6 years ago

I'm interested in this, but not invested. I ran a local tournament for a while, but did not get enough attendance to continue. Pricing, payouts, and prizes were not the issue, it's just a small place.

As a casual player, and occasional tournament player in the next province over who will never win a trip to nationals, I'll still willingly pay an annual membership fee to IFPA if that's on the table.

As a former TD (couldn't get enough interest in this small town to keep it going), I would have been willing to find a way to deal with the $1 fees, whether it come out of the registration fee, or my pocket. It's not a lot of money.

I'm really appreciative of the work these guys are doing at IFPA, and I really don't think they're in it for the money or for a cash grab.

I believe the concept of upping the stakes to attract more is a good one. It's flashier. It gets press. It gets word of mouth. These things add up to more people playing, which in turn means it's a more viable option for venue owners to get pinball machines going in public. I can only see a positive outcome from this idea.

I'm also all in favor of a science experiment to see if this works or doesn't. Experiments are the only way to make proress, the only way to find out what will happen if you try something is to try it.

It does look like some people have valid concerns around legalities in various states and provinces though. It would definitely be worth getting input from TD in each active province and state with a short survey that states intended outcome and a few ideas of how to get there. eg "We intend to increase the profile of pinball by generating greater revenue to increase prize pools of major tournaments, and invest in branding and marketing. Our methods may include one or more of initiating an annual IFPA members fee, initiating a IFPA player fee per tournament, etc. Do you have any legal reasons why this may or may not work? Do you have any personal concerns or ideas? Do you have any personal experience / anecdotes about memberships and fees that may help us determine our path?"

Then it may require drawing up a venn diagram or something to determine which strategies may cause issues, and which will definitely cause issues going forward.

My 2 x 25Cents.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 10.00
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing
Hardware
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 45.00
$ 26.50
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider evandickson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-charging-fees-for-tournaments-in-2018?tu=evandickson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.