IMG_2821 (resized).JPG
IMG_2805 (resized).JPG
DonationJar (resized).png
IMG_2797 (resized).PNG
IMG_4030 (resized).JPG
towelie_tough_guy (resized).jpg
towelie-no_you_are (resized).png
IMG_5752 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertt1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#710 7 years ago

As a TD who runs a lot of free to enter events, the collection aspect is what feels like a pretty big PITA. If I was making suggestions, I'd probably prefer a nominal annual membership fee to the IFPA instead. All of the events can still do what they want as far as free/buy-in and those that don't do the membership (because they don't care on that high of a level) won't get any WPPRs. The event can still be worth what it would be under today's % system.

I'd pay annually. I'd rather not have the headache of collecting $1 per player per event. Forcing that will have an impact on our already small tournament player base.

Also, your WPPRs don't retroactively kick in once you pay. That way there aren't fence sitters who wait til the end to see if they want to pay up. Open enrollment up on OCT of the previous year and that gives players plenty of time to activate for the next year.

#717 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Then any new player can't be ranked until January after the year they start playing in? Or if they start playing on November 1, they're waiting 14 months!?

For 2018, a player would be able to register starting in October of 2017. New players would be different and could have a window to sign up. I was thinking more along the lines of handling existing players.

#719 7 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

So simple to ask for a 5.00 admission/resgistration, its silly otherwise......

I tried that here in the beginning. New players get crushed once or twice and never come back. I wish we had a strong player base like some other areas but we aren't there.

It's not the $1. It's the additional hassle I will have. Whatever.

#819 7 years ago

Is IFPA providing a chart for % payout from the SCS? I don't think there should be an option for that to vary from state to state.

#830 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Yes . . . here will be the official breakdown of every State Championship:
1st place - 30% of the funds
2nd place - 18% of the funds
3rd place - 12% of the funds
4th place - 8% of the funds
5th through 8th place - 4% of the funds (each)
9th through 16th place - 2% of the funds (each)
There will be absolutely no option for State Reps to do anything but this structure.

Cool, thanks. Anything is better than nothing, but it looks like I'll have to improve on my past results a little bit. 16th in 2015 and 9th in 2016. Shooting for 8th or better now, assuming I even make it this year. Phoenix has exploded this year and Tucson is not seeing growth at the same pace. It's there, just not nearly as much as up north.

#887 7 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

For a state championship $100 goes back to IFPA for Nationals so the concept of an local event sending back money to IFPA isn't new. Maybe this is ok since its just one state event instead of every event or because you or others aren't one of the 16 participants but its a bit of a contradiction to all of a sudden get upset with this concept when it has been used to help fund the national championship for years.
From my experience the growth of competitive pinball has come from entrepreneurs who open barcades and create a new community of players. This is true in Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte over the past couple of years. When you open a barcade with pins and you have a person willing to be a tournament director to run events you'll find "noobs" who are interested in larger pots.
I respect your opinions but Ive spoken with folks in my state and all of us are fully committed to support IFPA in 2018 as the IFPA has supported us and continues to. I've just met to many "noobs" who got hooked and have become really great players in just the past 12 months.

Can you send some my way? Seriously, in a metro area of a million people the scene here is very small. We have added some new players in the last 2 years and that's great, but it's been super slow. I've advertised, and done some other marketing things, but have yet to crack the code. Average events aren't even over 10 players. If we could get to 20+/-, I'd be happy.

This is why I was not thrilled with the announcement. When you are in an area where the tournament scene is not strong you want every new player you can get. I started running my bi-weekly events with a $5 buy in. The pot was 60/40 for first and second. We had a few new players over several weeks who played once and got crushed (in spite of being coached after games to help them learn the rules) and then never came back. It didn't take many weeks of that before I got rid of the entry fee.

I'm all for funding the SCS finals and Natls, but having to start asking everyone for their dollar at events that used to just be coin drop feels lame. I don't think any regulars will care here, but it doesn't change the fact that I feel like a panhandler in that situation.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I dont think it is going to be all that difficult to accomplish. I am hoping we can get something running in the next few months. That will allow us time to back enter 2017 results so people can see how it compares. It will also allow us the ability to play with some adjustments and see how they pan out (i.e. things like only using a players top 20 events form the year, rather than the ability to play your way in via shear participation/cummulative of all events)

Duplicating the IFPA points system is actually super easy. It's the data management that might not be any fun. They list the two formulas on the page as to how the decay plays out for an event and the calculation is very simple as well. I had a spreadsheet that I used to calculate all of the points each place could expect for an event. I used to keep a list of players and the bonus points they provided as well. I have no idea where that spreadsheet went, but if you are willing to skip the bonus points, anyone who is decent with Excel could set this up.

#896 7 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

To be honest, this is where IFPA could help you out. I'm sure if you reached out to Josh he'd be open to a Skype call and you guys can hash out some ideas. If you have a local paper/media, they could write an article about your event. This can be shared/posted on IFPA social media and possibly others. When I ran an event for the National Hospice Foundation our event was added to their quarterly newsletter etc. So running some charity events that involve the charity to help promote your event always helps..

I have put on a few fund raising events in the past for local youth sports groups. That went pretty well, but outside of the actual youth assn. we didn't really try to reach out further. I bet we could do something with local charity groups and start getting the word out there.

Quoted from Robotoes:

I am going to keep quoting this stuff.
You litereally don't have to ask people for a dollar. Just don't pay out 100% (not uncommon!)

Free entry events don't typically have a payout.

Quoted from InfiniteLives:

If you do not already talk to the manager/owner of the location the event is being held at, it may behoove you to see if they will cover the IFPA fee's and keep your event free +coin drop. Even if 20 people show up (which it seems like your get closer to 10?) thats only $20 bucks outta the bar. They sell each of those 20 people a single beverage because of the event, they are still way ahead. This is an easy argument for you to win if they are hesitant as your event is bringing in paying customers. The event stays free, still get WPPR's and does not alienate the player base that is not welcome to fees.
If you can get this deal with the bar, then you would never even have to tell the player base about it, or you could tell them how the bar is sponsoring their membership/fees to the IFPA and score more brownie points with the owner of the joint.

I'll have to talk to them about it. I know it would be some goodwill just to post that everyone's IFPA fee will be covered by the bar. Some nights, I know they do really well with my group there. Other nights (normally low turnout ones) people see that it will be a quick night and don't even order.

#903 7 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

You're right, I apologize - I realized that after re-reading. In those cases I think venue sponsorship of a very modest fee is the best way to keep free events WPPR eligible.

No worries. There are so many tournament formats (which is great) that the options are too much to keep everything straight at all times. I actually try to do different formats in the various events I run so when players travel they aren't seeing things for the first time. Prior to that, everything was just a linear "everyone play these machines once and Danesi's tournament program will tell us how things are going" style. Now there's a good mix.

8 months later
#1526 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

So I have a request that you can help me with (seriously).
My main concern is not really the number of IFPA sanctioned events dropping, but whether events are actually disappearing altogether (that worries me a ton if people were ONLY running events for WPPR's).
If you can keep me posted on how your overall turnout is for your non-IFPA events, whether it's down "overall" from last year, about the same, or you even GREW the number of people that played with it being non-IFPA, that's some data I would love to get my hands on.

I've had 2 players already ask if they can work something out for Tucson Pinball League because they want to travel to Phoenix to play the Starfighters monthly. Both events are the first Saturday of the month and SF will get over 40 players and TPL will get ~15. I'm not going to stop TPL, because it's not just for people collecting WPPRs, but it will impact TPL WPPRs if players pass to do other events that are larger.

I'm not saying this is a $1 thing, and I also doubt it could be a top-20 for SCS thing since I recognize there is little end result difference between uncapped event count or top-20 going to SCS. It's just a fact of PHX growth crushing Tucson growth and I live in the losing corner.

Feedback none the less I guess. I'll keep running 36+ events a year and trying to grow the player base.

#1531 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

From the 30,000 feet level this seems to be the same level of interest as pre $1 fee, just a shifting of WHERE that interest lies (assuming both your TPL and the Starfighters events are IFPA sanctioned).
Definitely sucks for your event specifically, but I'm glad to see that the number of active players across Arizona doesn't seem to be impacted negatively overall so far.

I don't think anyone in my regular group is concerned about the $1 because most of them that tried made it to SCS in 2017 and will likely do the same in 2018 when there is a payout. I do see it as a head scratcher to some of my less skilled players because they won't make it. But, I put word out that I was looking for a tournament sponsor and I think I found one, so it may all be moot. I run free to enter events though, so I can't just reduce the payout and keep the fee the same.

I have a carrot for my events though, as small as they may be. Everything (that I run) but TPL counts towards the city championships, so keep showing up or you won't make that and I have a good start on tiers of prizes for that.

#1532 6 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

This is how its been for years but the other way around. Tucson had all kinds of pinball compared to Phoenix. Now it has just leveled out. There are many more people in phoenix and should have many more events.

For sure, and that puzzled me. PHX has a 5X population advantage and yet it was only APPL and Zapcon up there compared to 50+ events in Tucson. Tracy deserves a lot of credit for what has happened up there. I'd love to have a 40 player event, ever. I think the most I've ever done is 19. That snowballs because more players allows for me to buy more/"better" games and hopefully attract more players. That may never happen here, but if I want to try for SCS this year I will have to go to PHX for sure.

#1538 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

It's roughly a 10% rate of events submitted "never happening".

But the new TD interface lets them cancel those instead of bugging you. There is even an "are you sure" message. The new interface is pretty nice.

#1540 6 years ago

When might the 2018 SCS standings go live? There's a certain screenshot I'd like to take before Starfighters points get added to the mix.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.95
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Boards
PinSound

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 179.00
3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint-denis-sur-richelieu, QC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertt1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-charging-fees-for-tournaments-in-2018?tu=desertt1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.