IMG_2821 (resized).JPG
IMG_2805 (resized).JPG
DonationJar (resized).png
IMG_2797 (resized).PNG
IMG_4030 (resized).JPG
towelie_tough_guy (resized).jpg
towelie-no_you_are (resized).png
IMG_5752 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotoes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#757 7 years ago
Quoted from JNX:

Why do I as a casual, but still competitive player, care if the purse is substantial at the SC tourney?

A better question might be: why do you, as a casual (but still competitive) player, care if the overall purse is $16 less?

Here's some math:

16 players
$20 entry

Total purse: $320
Minus: $16 for IFPA

Total available purse for payouts: $304

Top 4 paid - 40%, 30%, 20%, 10% (or, you know, whatever breakdown you want)

1st - $122
2nd - $91
3rd - $61
4th - $30

I just don't understand how that changes someone's calculus.

#759 7 years ago
Quoted from JNX:

It's a matter of principle.
Why should I pay money to someone not even at my tournament? That's insane.
"It's only a dollar"
No, it's 20% of the entry fee...or 16%, depending upon $5 or $6...

I understand the principal, I just think it's a made up construct.

You're right on the math, but maybe this will be a nice correction and that weeklies shouldn't be for $5. Or report monthly and the fee goes down. Or just have weeklies for fun and larger tournaments with increased entry fees to offset the proportion of the pot.

There's a lot of ways to slice this, but I don't see how the "$1 per player" is anything to get principled about with so many options.

#761 7 years ago
Quoted from JNX:

That's the trap of believing it's only about $1.

I'm sorry, what? Where's the trap?

#764 7 years ago

I have no words.

Wish you the best and hope you can still enjoy competitive pinball when the IFPA totally ruins it next year.

#799 7 years ago

Because people love to argue!!

Keyboard rage!!

Destroying pinball!!

$1!!!!

#851 7 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Honestly I hope my local TD just cuts the prize pool by $1/head or raises the entry fee by $1/head (if those are allowed) just so I don't have to think about it.

THIS 100%. It's been said a million times. This is what is going to happen. And it will be fine. The world will turn, we'll all play pinball, and we'll all be ranked. It's gonna be great.

#889 7 years ago
Quoted from JNX:

This proposed fee is about growing the BUSINESS of pinball. That's 2 different things. Some of us are not interested in that aspect. We shouldn't be FORCED to pay, and when people answer that by saying, "Then don't play," they are doing exactly what you asked about...hindering the game of pinball.

No one is saying don't play pinball. They're saying "don't play pinball for WPPRs".

You don't have to be interested in growing the "business" of pinball (although I disagree that's whats going on here).

Play. Host tournaments. By all means, grow your local scene.

#891 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I'm all for funding the SCS finals and Natls, but having to start asking everyone for their dollar at events that used to just be coin drop feels lame

I am going to keep quoting this stuff.

You litereally don't have to ask people for a dollar. Just don't pay out 100% (not uncommon!)

#901 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Free entry events don't typically have a payout.

You're right, I apologize - I realized that after re-reading. In those cases I think venue sponsorship of a very modest fee is the best way to keep free events WPPR eligible.

#909 7 years ago
Quoted from JNX:

And one other thing, folks have offered up alternatives that grow interest in competitive pinball, they just might not appeal to you. Some of them are proven winners that cost no money, yet here we are...being told there is ONE way to achieve the goal.

Please reiterate. All ears.

9 months later
#1587 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Well that’s interesting. I think your first come first serve rule isn’t be enforced in a uniform manner everywhere; I’m not saying this is yalls fault by any means but you should look into it at small events that limit the number of participants to the minimum but are fully committed before they are even listed on your site.

As someone who runs just these types of events in a hot player base area I must say that it is a balancing act, and very difficult to monitor. Obviously I tell people about the tourney and word spreads and things fill up. Sometimes it’s all people I know, sometimes it’s not. Last year I had three people randomly reach out to me via event website who were from another country and who came to compete.

It is a word of mouth thing in a large way, and I’m not sure there’s a way around that without completely restricting these types of events.

I’ve tried doing no sign ups, but the problem you run into there is - not enough people show up because they can’t be guaranteed a spot.

I realize I’m not offering a solution here - just a viewpoint from someone on this side of things.

#1589 6 years ago

It was really cool they came, shared my games and had a good time.

I don’t believe the $1 will affect anything around here - it’ll just come out of the prize pool from entries.

For the small stakes, larger weekly, the bar owner has decided to pay that out of pocket due to the increase in revenue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint-denis-sur-richelieu, QC
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotoes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-charging-fees-for-tournaments-in-2018?tu=Robotoes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.