IMG_2821 (resized).JPG
IMG_2805 (resized).JPG
DonationJar (resized).png
IMG_2797 (resized).PNG
IMG_4030 (resized).JPG
towelie_tough_guy (resized).jpg
towelie-no_you_are (resized).png
IMG_5752 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pickle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#506 6 years ago

I am happy to support my local league and that in turn helps support pinball. What does the $1 exactly go to? Not sure I really understand. If it's to increase the prize pool for State/National events then not no....but HELL NO. Go get corporate sponsorship for prizes if that's the end game and goal. I enjoy our local league for fun. I don't travel for other tourneys nor do I plan to.

If IFPA wants to take money from state events to increase the prize pool for National events that is fine. Local events do not benefit from this so no money should be taken from local league play events.

And in the other thread IFPA basically tells how to get around and only pay a dollar a year. The catch to that is you only report your scores once a year. That's not fun if people want to watch theirs or others rankings. And doesn't that defeat the purpose of adding the fee?

I did quick math and our local league does three seasons of about 8 weeks and a finals. We have about 40-50 players weekly so for 3 8 week periods that's about $960 if everyone paid a dollar a week over one year. How many other leagues are there.....ALOT if you start asking around. I suspect easy enough well over $500K to $1mil could be raised. I smell something very afoul the second fees come into play and then IFPA doesn't want to collect it...that's a red flag right there.

Would it make sense for IFPA to track everyone's scores from results submitted per event and sends THAT player/person a bill to pay at one dollar per event and that person pays IFPA. It can all be done automatically. If the person does not pay the ranking is not official. Those that plan/choose to enter state/national tourneys can pay the fee for their rank to be "current/valid/verified" or whatever you would like to call it. That is fair to everyone. Those that want verified ranked scores have that option and those that just want to play for fun in their local league don't pay for something they don't want/need. Everyone's happy.

Bottom line is unless the IFPA is gonna evenly distribute "Collections/Fees" back to the local league/tourneys and increase those prize pools it will only detract from local leagues. If local leagues benefitted from it in some way they would embrace a small fee with little to no issue.

May be starting my own underground league........

1 week later
#783 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Not at all. Players don't have to play in "endorsed" events to be playing competitive pinball.
The advancement of the sport is to focus on garnering the media attention that can help put pinball back in the dialogue of a world that currently doesn't discuss it as much as they should.
With that media attention comes a whole new world of opportunity to introduce new players to the game even existing, let alone a game that can be played competitively.
We're implementing this as a way to give ourselves a better chance at landing that media attention at a more meaningful level.

I get what you are saying but if the TD of our local league makes our events "endorsed" then we have no choice but either to pay the extra buck or to not play. Charge a fee directly to the IFPA and leave the local tournaments out of it. The majority of people will be happy to pay an annual fee to IFPA to have current valid rankings. The problem is you are forcing people that have no real chance or desire to travel and compete at state/national level to pay for something that does not benefit them in the least. You can track payments by state/ city and add to prize pools for state tournaments by people who pay.

By doing what you are considering you are hurting those that want to support and enjoy local league play.
That is not good if you are truly wanting to promote and grow competitive pinball.

I am sure we can all agree we appreciate the service that IFPA does and most have no issue if the IFPA needs to cover some administrative costs for the service it provides. But saying you want to media coverage and to grow the sport has NOTHING to do with this fee you are wanting to charge. GET COORPORATE SPONSORSHIP!!! You get Stern, JJP, Spooky, Marco, etc to advertise, add to prize pools etc. There are lots of ways to "grow" competitive pinball and not create this divide. Surely Stern can afford to give a little back to the community that is buying their $15K pins. And I am sure they will earn sales out of it so it's not a bad idea for them to do it.

This whole attitude of take it or leave it is a real turn off....that's a great way to encourage new people to play in tournaments. I guess you will sucker in all the new people that don't know any better.

#847 6 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

TD's are welcome to make this an opt-in/opt-out thing.
If 16 people play and only 2 of them are interested in earning points, the fee for endorsement of that event is $2. Only those 2 players will be submitted into the results sent to IFPA. All 16 people still get to play for FUN (which is the most important).
You can have your cake and eat it too if the TD is willing and able to handle those logistics.

BINGO!!! That's all we needed to hear. If that's the case then all is good. Thank you for putting that out there!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pickle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-charging-fees-for-tournaments-in-2018?tu=Pickle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.