IMG_2821 (resized).JPG
IMG_2805 (resized).JPG
DonationJar (resized).png
IMG_2797 (resized).PNG
IMG_4030 (resized).JPG
towelie_tough_guy (resized).jpg
towelie-no_you_are (resized).png
IMG_5752 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Eric_S.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Did anyone else see this post on IFPA in regard to charging a fee of $1/person per tournament to "boost prestige of state and national events"?

https://www.ifpapinball.com/2018-19-state-championship-series-endorsement-fee-and-prize-pool-adjustment/#comments

This seems like a huge cash grab for the top players at the expense of everyone else. I'm not sure how this encourages competitive pinball as it just is a tax for everyone else. I thought this was a April Fools Day joke, the follow-up post seems to indicate it is serious.

While I'm normally a pretty diplomatic guy, to quote the goat, this plan "stinks worse than my nuts".

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

It ultimately depends on how the $1 is charged.
If the location sponsors the endorsement fee, there's no expense to the players.
If the 'winners' of the event fund the endorsement fee out of the pot, then it's the top players that end up deferring some of their winnings for a chance to win it later on. Again, casual players see no impact.
If the TD charges an EXTRA $1 per participant for the event, then yes it becomes the masses funding the top players.
If a TD allows players to opt out that aren't interested then that player won't be impacted.
Plenty of options and flexibility designed into this process. Ultimately we will see how it goes and repeal/replace from there if necessary.

How does this fee encourage more competitive pinball?

#21 7 years ago

Growing up, my grandpa told me that the quickest way to ruin a good thing is to get money involved.

#114 7 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out how the fee makes competitive pinball better? Everyone pays $1 per tournament that goes towards awards for a select few higher echelon players. Realistically, 99% of the registered IFPA players have no shot at winning their money back. Sure, someone can hit a lucky streak, but in reality, the highest ranked players will probably continue to win the big events, taking in even more rewards.

Has there ever been a time when a fee or tax that everyone pays but only few benefit from has been successful over the long term?

I am more than able to afford a dollar per tournament, but this is a bad idea in principle. Heck, if a dollar is a good idea, two dollars is better and ten dollars must be great! I'd be fine to pay IFPA to support administrative functions such as data entry and website hosting, but "pay to play" just reeks of a cash grab.

Josh - You have a good thing going with how IFPA has been running and I'd hate for this to change. While I don't think this decision was made to personally benefit you, you are in a unique situation and have an inherent conflict of interest with your position within the IFPA as well as your skill level to win such tournaments. I would strongly suggest taking some time to revisit this decision and consider if the State and National tournaments merit such an upheaval to every other tournament that IFPA sanctions. I feel that the State and National tournaments have been very successful as they already are.

#413 7 years ago

I know IFPA has made changes in the past and sometimes those decisions were unpopular. However, this change "feels" much different and I think the fall out from it may be permanent.

Right now, IFPA is the unquestioned organization for all things competitive pinball. If changes are made with pro vs. amateur ranking's or other groups starting their own rankings (IE Wexit and WIFPA - BTW, I love the term Wexit), it will only water down competitive pinball overall.

Look at boxing. There are like 10 different boxing commissions and the champion belts aren't valuabe since there isn't a consensus.

I know a good thing when I see it, and IFPA has a good thing going. Don't screw it up.

#479 7 years ago

Josh - I should have asked this a few hundred posts ago, but has final decision already been firmly made for charging fees for 2018?

#482 7 years ago

Fair enough, it is ultimately a decision made within IFPA. While I don't agree with it, I can respect it. I appreciate that you are more than willing to rationally address these changes even though most of us are crapping all over you.

I hope the changes work out. I'm not spending more time debating the changes as it ultimately will just be a waste of said time.

#503 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

I'm more than willing to get started on the feedback for the 2019 plan.
Would you be interested in being ranked on our "Amateur" rankings for the events that don't pay the endorsement fee to count towards the "Professional" rankings?
Where do you see this heading for Wisconsin? There were 39 'unique' events held in the state in 2016. Do all 39 apply to be part of the "Amateur" rankings? Do some percentage apply to the "Professional" rankings?

To be honest, I really don't have a good idea on where to take the new approach from here, which is why I liked the old/current system. I know my skill level will never approach the top tier and I have zero interest in playing at the national level (with the exception of Pinburgh, which is a good excuse for a road trip with my buddies). I have a better chance of becoming a professional gigolo than a professional pinball player.

Personally, I like to play in local Wisconsin events and ultimately have a place in the SCS for Wisconsin. If doing "professional" tournaments with a fee is the only way to gain WPPR points to qualify for the SCS, then I suspect I'll just stick to my local league and competitive pinball for me will die on the vine.

I'm not really keen on keeping competing rankings, state-wide or otherwise, as it just waters down everything. Soon, everyone will have their own ranking system that is somehow better, fairer, cheaper, etc. and it ends up like professional boxing.

#507 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

You could just pay the buck (gasp) and continue to enjoy competitive pinball.

Not really. If a tournament director decides not to pay the fee, then no WPPR points, regardless if I want to or not.

Many of us would be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Most tournaments have no fees and no payouts currently, as we do this for fun. I would say about half of regular tournament players care about WPPR points. So, as a TD, do you charge a fee and piss off those that don't care about WPPR points or not charge a fee, not have WPPR points, and probably have a significant number of players not play in your tournament?

1 week later
#860 7 years ago

Well, I see that this dumpster fire of a thread has re-ignited.

I re-read the original post on the IFPA website about the fees. I guess the biggest disconnect for me is that I do not equate money with prestige. I play pinball for enjoyment and gloating rights over my buddies. If earning money by playing pinball is a person's motivation, I would suggest getting a real job for income.

The last concern I had was in regard to sportsmanship. On the whole, most guys are pretty good sports and play pinball fairly. However, you throw a big pot of money, some people will get petty and throw sportsmanship out the window.

While we all like being keyboard commandos, at the end of the day, it isn't our decision. Josh has made his decision clear and final. While I personally don't agree with it, I am impressed that he has stuck to his guns and not withered in the face of controversy. In such a PC, wishy-washy world, it is a bit refreshing to see someone stick to their convictions for what they think is the right decision.

#947 7 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Some people are 8 and 13 and are to young to work.

There are lots of way for kids to work and make money - paper routes, lemonade stands, mowing lawns, shoveling sidewalks, pinball tournaments.

No, wait, scratch that last one...

1 week later
#1026 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Yes there are a few people in this thread that have repeatedly made their stance known, and that's appreciated.

Josh, I think you forgot the sarcasm emoji at the end of that sentence.

In all seriousness, I think most of us realize that this is the way it is going to be for 2018. However, in Wisconsin, we have a legitimate legal concern in regard to how pinball prizes could be construed as an illegal activity. The MGC is the largest tournament in the state and the organizers have repeatedly said they cannot pay a fee as they have been warned that there will be legal consequences. At the same time, the MGC, being the largest tournament in the state, not having it count towards IFPA would de-legitimize player rankings in the state.

For instance, someone plays in a ton of tournaments and builds up their total points in the state to make the SCS, but they pooped the bed at the MGC, could make the SCS at the expense of someone else that did very well at MGC, the legitimate largest state tournament. I would suggest making very few and limited exceptions to the new IFPA tournament pricing to make issues like this go away.

#1029 7 years ago

Thanks, Josh.

3 weeks later
#1257 6 years ago

Uh oh, looks like Alabama might displace Wisconsin as the most dysfunctional pinball state.

4 months later
#1297 6 years ago

Hey Josh - has the deafening silence on Pinside regarding IFPA tournament fees wilted your resolve to institute the new fee structure?

#1358 6 years ago

Personally, I don't care about paying a dollar per tournament nor do I think most competitive players that follow their IFPA ranking. My biggest rub is this: a significant portion of pinball tournament players do not care about IFPA points and have no reason to pay a dollar since they receive no perceived benefit. However, having a higher participation number in tournament is the best way to boost the IFPA points available to win, which is what the more competitive players are looking for. So, we are left with a few options:

1. Have everyone pay a dollar and risk having people that don't want to pay a dollar not enter tournaments. This could result in a lower participation rate meaning fewer IFPA points available. Competitive players won't like this option as there isn't a "bang for your buck".

2. Have only players that want to be involved with IFPA points pay a dollar in the tournament. Ultimately, it ends up with the same scenario as option 1.

3. Go "free" and not have IFPA points. This may drive away competitive players that are more concerned with IFPA points. It also may give rise to people having their own tracking system. I'm not a big fan of this as IFPA is the de facto pinball ranking authority. Each person that doesn't like a tracking system comes up with their own, and soon you have rankings based at the state level, county, city, block, household, etc and they don't mean a hill of beans.

If anyone has ideas on how to reconcile all of this, I'm all ears.

#1377 6 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

I could of played in the MGC Tournament without purchasing tickets to the show? If no, it wasn't free.

Where do you draw the line? If you drove to a "free" tournament, it cost you money for gas. Did you have a meal before so you had energy to play? That's not free either. At the end of the day, there is no fee to play for quite a few pinball tournaments in WI.

4 months later
#1571 6 years ago

IFPA is charging a dollar for each tournament? When did that happen? It just got sprung on us with no notice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint-denis-sur-richelieu, QC
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 179.00
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Eric_S.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-charging-fees-for-tournaments-in-2018?tu=Eric_S and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.