IMG_2821 (resized).JPG
IMG_2805 (resized).JPG
DonationJar (resized).png
IMG_2797 (resized).PNG
IMG_4030 (resized).JPG
towelie_tough_guy (resized).jpg
towelie-no_you_are (resized).png
IMG_5752 (resized).PNG
There are 1,610 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 33.
#351 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

Well that is a HUGE difference! I think you should make that very very clear. I have no problem with that at all, going the yearly route! ifpapinball

We're making it clear here

It's why we've posted the details 9 months in advance. If some things aren't clear we can use these upcoming months to help make it more clear for everyone.

#352 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

the feedback I've received on this is well past 51% positive.

lets see this positive feedback. ive been on here, rgp, tiltforums, and your website and have seen no such feedback. do you mean to say you and your inner circle approve, therefore most of pinball approves?? ive been following ifpa updates since 2014 and while most changes have caused minor splashback from a few concerned players who can make up hypothetical scenarios in which that rule change could hurt them,this one right away creates a wave of negativity with TDs and players based on real experiences that points the finger not at the rule change but at the ifpa itself. this is different, wether you are willing to admit that or not.

#353 7 years ago

https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=17629#

Let's examine further the 1% charge the whiners keep putting forth. Here are some of the world rankings that made it to Nationals.

#354 7 years ago

I really don't see the big deal here. $1 per league/tournament is like an additional $12/yr. I would gladly pay that to support the top players and competitive pinball in general.

#355 7 years ago

I don't think passionately discussing something that's opposite of your opinIon needs to be phrased as "whining", does it?

#356 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

Let's examine further the 1% charge the whiners keep putting forth. Here are some of the world rankings that made it to Nationals.

I qualified for nationals and couldn't make the trip. I'm currently 3,127th.

#357 7 years ago

I will say I really thought nobody on pinside gave a shit about this stuff and clearly I was wrong.

Yay competitive pinball!

#358 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

It's all based on submissions to the IFPA.
We have a monthly league in Chicago, but we report results ONCE PER YEAR for our season. That means that instead of paying 35 members X 12 months ($420), we are going to pay $35 for the year.
It's completely up to you as the organizer how you should proceed in handling this. If you submit once per year, you would owe the IFPA $55 for that one results submission. If you submit results semi-annually it would be $110.

What does the yearly total submission VS monthly submissions do for points? Does the single submission value out at 12x the WPPR points? Or do you come up shorter because you only submitted once?

I'm assuming you're just expecting submission of the final standings for the season, so it would be 1 event of (X) people worth the standard amount of points for that size event. So if the league players are trying to climb the WPPR ladder, they'd rather submit each monthly (which would cost the original assumed price) -- no?

#359 7 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I really don't see the big deal here. $1 per league/tournament is like an additional $12/yr. I would gladly pay that to support the top players and competitive pinball in general.

It hurts monthly that report month to month more then a league that reports much less. and it leads to people being able to scoop the cash by just playing in the big events and not even doing the smaller monthly ones.

There should be a difference from small to big events or something to make the % take out more even for say an $5 per player event vs say an $20 per player event.

This also makes so that an $5 per player over 12/mo reporting each month puts in a lot more the one that does the same but only reports 1/2 times a month.

If say an monthly over a full year only needs to kick in say $1-$3 per player. Over the full year MAX.

#360 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

this math does not seem to add up...
In WI alone we had around 500 uniquie players in 2016. Only 16 of them qualified for SCS. Only 1 of them makes it to nationals.

How many of them played just one or two events in Wis?

#361 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=17629#

honestly, what point are you trying to make?

#362 7 years ago

Not everyone was born into WPPR privilege.

These guys took it upon themselves to create this and it provides something fun to track your progress. Now they are asking to help them raise the awareness of pinball by helping fund larger prize pools for their system. Maybe it's the worst idea ever. But maybe it will do something.

Obviously people care about the WPPR's because they would not be here protesting. I am willing to accept this idea as a way to help out the guys who have helped pinball by creating this. The WPPR system is part of the fun , whether people admit to it or not. I guarantee most of the people saying they don't care are looking up their ranking. I know , because i am one of them.

You have been getting something enjoyable for free. Kick in a buck! Or just go about your business playing pinball.

#363 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

It will likely lead to us coming up with our own ranking system and running our own tournament. WIPRs! I really don't want to see that happen.

Is that going to be a state wide vote? When does Wexit happen?

#364 7 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Not everyone was born into WPPR privilege.
These guys took it upon themselves to create this and it provides something fun to track your progress. Now they are asking to help them raise the awareness of pinball by helping fund larger prize pools for their system. Maybe it's the worst idea ever. But maybe it will do something.
Obviously people care about the WPPR's because they would not be here protesting. I am willing to accept this idea as a way to help out the guys who have helped pinball by creating this. The WPPR system is part of the fun , whether people admit to it or not. I guarantee most of the people saying they don't care are looking up their ranking. I know , because i am one of them.
You have been getting something enjoyable for free. Kick in a buck! Or just go about your business playing pinball.

The problem is the mixed messages being sent out depending on who you pay attention to. For Bowen (and PAPA?) it's all about how every single pinball player should be encouraged to be a competitive pinball player. Even the ones who suck. IFPA is clearly trying to gear this more toward serious players and WPPR whores. I really do think both goals can be accomplished but there might have to be some divvying up of the players.

#365 7 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

You have been getting something enjoyable for free.

I don't have a lot of tournaments on my IFPA profile but the ones I do have were NOT free to get into.

#366 7 years ago
Quoted from SHOOTTHEPYRAMID:

Usually by this point in an argument people have forgotten.

#367 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

Yeah...there is no way our league is going to fork over 700 bucks a year for this elitist venture. It's based on greed and top tier players. You are essentially doing the same thing that is wrong with the North American society. The rich get richer and the little guys get screwed.
IFPA, as mentioned you've done a great thing for pinball and it's all of the little guys that have supported you.
Ultimately the IFPA is a made up rankings system that could be duplicated by anyone - I hope someone comes up with anotger global system...

I nominate you. I hear website building of this type is really easy, and processing results from 1000s of tournaments a year is even easier. I'm sure your free service will be a smash hit.

#368 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

I nominate you. I hear website building of this type is really easy, and processing results from 1000s of tournaments a year is even easier. I'm sure your free service will be a smash hit.

When he's done with that he can head over to Stern and bang out that KISS Kode everybody says can be done in a couple days.

#369 7 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

It hurts monthly that report month to month more then a league that reports much less.

So why not do a yearly dues? I play in a pool league and it's $25/yr to be a member. You could also set the maximum a person can put into the pot a dollar per event at $20 or something.

#370 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

EVERYTHING, ever, in pinball goes over like a lead balloon except for a handful of nutswingers. Why should this be any different? Everybody hates change and loves to bitch.
I'm taking the wait and see/who cares approach. It's a buck.

No no no!!! You have to be morally outraged on behalf of everyone's dollar for every event, otherwise you can't make it sound like people are being fleeced (which of course they are not).

#371 7 years ago

It been said that a membership system is very hard to administer, as well the IFPA isn't out to make money here how are they to redistrubute these funds fairly to each state especially since many of us play out of state and province, they are simply collecting monies and then 100% fully distributing them back into each state and province every year to make it a really clean transaction, they are a essentially a bank without fees, lol...

Quoted from Pahuffman:

So why not do a yearly dues? I play in a pool league and it's $25/yr to be a member. You could also set the maximum a person can put into the pot a dollar per event at $20 or something.

#372 7 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

But the IPFA system will be that you report each monthly even it's $1 per player per event vs say a monthly where each event add's up the finales with one reporting date. Where that hurts people who can't make it each month and makes it to you need to do good at each month vs being able to just win 1-2 months. Or am I getting that part wrong.

This also is bad for events that are free as some people don't want to deal with the issues of paying out / taking cash in.

#373 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

What does the yearly total submission VS monthly submissions do for points? Does the single submission value out at 12x the WPPR points? Or do you come up shorter because you only submitted once?

I'm assuming you're just expecting submission of the final standings for the season, so it would be 1 event of (X) people worth the standard amount of points for that size event. So if the league players are trying to climb the WPPR ladder, they'd rather submit each monthly (which would cost the original assumed price) -- no?

It really depends on the TGP of the league meetings.

If you're playing 100% TGP events every month, then you leave a ton of WPPR value on the table because you're already at max TGP.

If you're playing 12 events that are each 8% TGP, you literally get the same amount of WPPR points submitting annually (at 96% TGP).

Ultimately this is the push-pull that TD's will have to decide with their player base. Do you submit 4 times a year because that lines up with TGP maximization, and lowers the percentage that we take with the endorsement fee? In our league we meet every month, but only submit once per year. We leave TGP on the table but we "don't care". We will NOT be sending $420 to the IFPA, we'll be sending $35.

If the players want to climb the ladder by submitting more events for more points, that's the CHOICE to be made by those individual player groups. The endorsement fee comes into play based on how that community wants to proceed, but we're totally flexible in accommodating how that community wants to report those results.

#374 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

not an exit. moreso the possibility of another option.

It obviously does not involve you since you dont run events in WI.

#375 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I don't think passionately discussing something that's opposite of your opinIon needs to be phrased as "whining", does it?

I don't think it is whining from a large part of the people who oppose this, but some of them, their vitriol and deeply insulting charges, it's making me rethink where I will play in future for sure. And after all, it's a dollar. I know there are some who wish to add up all the dollars to make it sound like a huge amount that benefits only a tiny group, but the group really isn't that tiny, and as I've posted, there are people who are ranked well south of 2000 that have a shot at not only cashing at the state level, but the national level as well.

And as I've additionally pointed out, any one of us posting here who also plays darts, bowls, plays golf, none of them seem to have any moral outrage at funding multi million dollar tournaments for the 'elites' when they buy their equipment.

#376 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

No idea. I guess we will find out what players think at MGC. Maybe a survey.
How many events in MN are cash based vs non cash based?
When people show up to play and now a TD has to ask for a buck what will the reaction be? I don't have the answers. It maybe positive. It maybe negative. It may result in tourneys with 20 people only submitting for 5. It may result in people maybe not returning to an event.

I don't see this move by the IFPA as a cash grab. I see it as s way to level out the legimacy of the WRRP. My thought is they are trying to eliminate the amount of submissions for tournaments they fell don't measure up to the status quo. In this respect, it's a positive to lower submissions. It doesn't take a high IQ to see that.

I don't care if my rank is 230 something in the world but I do care how well I am going VS individuals in my state for the SCS.
I will never be a top 100 player. I just don't have the ambition or investment to go to other states to play pinball. I think a majority of people in my state feel the same but I can't speak for everyone. From the people who have posted in this thread, we are the TDs in WI running events. The consensus seems to be the change is not a good one for us IMHO.

#377 7 years ago

I think my meaning is very plain. The charges that only the elite cash are totally without merit. If you want to examine each state's top 16 qualifiers (or more accurately to include how far they went down to fill out the bracket) you will see tons of rankings in the 4000s or lower. It's not about the 1% alone. But naturally they have the best shot at winning. It is a competition after all.

#378 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

And after all, it's a dollar.

Perhaps this is the statement that chaffs me the most. A dollar might be a pittance to you, whereas it's a struggle for me to put 100 pennies together. So now it becomes more of a "haves" vs. "have nots" type of thing, which I don't think will do much to grow the pinball userbase.

#379 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

If you're playing 100% TGP events every month, then you leave a ton of WPPR value on the table because you're already at max TGP.
If you're playing 12 events that are each 8% TGP, you literally get the same amount of WPPR points submitting annually (at 96% TGP).
Ultimately this is the push-pull that TD's will have to decide with their player base. Do you submit 4 times a year because that lines up with TGP maximization, and lowers the percentage that we take with the endorsement fee? In our league we meet every month, but only submit once per year. We leave TGP on the table but we "don't care". We will NOT be sending $420 to the IFPA, we'll be sending $35.

im honestly impressed with how often you make pinball seem like a boring, complicated nightmare. i love pinball to death but sometimes i get around you ifpa guys and just want nothing to do with it. seriously, listening to some of you guys talk about pinball is about as fun as listening to LT. Data read from a farmers almanac.

#380 7 years ago

As a Wisconsin Tourney player I wouldn't have an issue with the fees as long as Charity events and free (no cash involved) events are exempted. This would give the TD's a choice as to which type of tournament they would like to run and if they want to deal with the money and legal side of things. I know the vast majority of tourneys here are free and open to the public and I would like to keep it that way for the growth of pinball. If they start charging entry fees for the monthly tournaments it will discourage new people from playing since it is generally the same handful of players that win every month. It's better just to keep it for fun and keep money out of it.

For the paid tournaments like Wauna, Tom's tournaments, or even league I'd be fine with the fee. The players that generally play in these are more established players vs. new players. Since money is already being collected it isn't a big deal just to charge an extra buck and put that money towards making the SCS prize pools bigger.

#381 7 years ago

I think the prestige of the SCS could easily be increased if it was actually that, a state championship series. What's the point of calling it "states", when the only eligibility requirement is participating in a tournament? Right now it's not a state vs. state matchup, it's "the best players who happened to travel to that state at some point in the year".

#382 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

I think my meaning is very plain. The charges that only the elite cash are totally without merit. If you want to examine each state's top 16 qualifiers (or more accurately to include how far they went down to fill out the bracket) you will see tons of rankings in the 4000s or lower. It's not about the 1% alone. But naturally they have the best shot at winning. It is a competition after all.

mmmmm but to me, your list only points out how truly arbitrary rankings are when it comes to performing at tournaments. that i here in texas should be okay with paying 30 bucks a year because idaho sent someone in the 2000s to nationals makes no sense. the rankings are already practically meaningless when ya boil it down.and i understand my money doesnt go to them, but still, your list just illustrates all the grey space between how well people do overall, and how well they will perform at the national level.

#383 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I mean, to be fair, I won like 150 bucks for winning NC states which didn't even pay for my transportation, and I didn't win anything for traveling down to Texas. So would be nice if there was more to be won there. Nobody is getting rich off of any of this

I note you conveniently left out that fat bag of cash you scored for providing commentary on the live stream at Nationals. How many endorsement deals did that gig land you?

#384 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I note you conveniently left out that fat bag of cash you scored for providing commentary on the live stream at Nationals. How many endorsement deals did that gig land you?

Can't really talk about that shit until the ink is dry.

#385 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffpm:

when the only eligibility requirement is participating in a tournament?

What do you mean? You have to qualify and be in the top 16 players in a given state. Even in Alabama where numbers are low, we still run about 70 players on average in a given year. You can't just walk into the state tournament, let alone win it.

#386 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

not an exit. moreso the possibility of another option.
It obviously does not involve you since you dont run events in WI.

I don't live in the U.K. either but I was interested to watch the Brexit vote. And I would have been happy to contribute the $12 a year or whatever to your state pool, but at least now I don't have to be concerned with that. I made the decision about a year ago, long before I heard about this development, that I was going to branch out and try my luck at PAPA and a circuit event or two in place of all the traveling I did to your state. The downside is I'll play in less mid sized and larger sized regional events, less events overall, the upside is now I can test myself in harder settings.

Yeah, I loved Wisconsin pinball. Lots of amazing friendly people and a core of very good players. I think guys like Tom Graf, Steve Tully, Dave Daluga, Ryan, they are what make pinball very fun and are fun people to be around. And MN players supported many of Wisconsin's events. And no, it doesn't involve me in any decision making process as I *obviously* don't run a Wisconsin tournament. You are perfectly free to do as you choose. I support the idea of a Wisconsin only ranking system and your own state championship.

#387 7 years ago

Figured I should chime in as a long time competitive player as well as a tournament director. I heard about this awhile back and I was against it when I first was told about the possibility of this happening. I agree that national visibility and legitimacy of pinball as a sport is needed, I just didn't want that to come on the backs of the new/casual players. I see both sides of the coin as a top competitive player in the state who would most likely benefit from this and also someone that has run events for years here and is constantly trying to get people out playing at events and on route. From the player perspective, pinball is way behind basically every other sport and bar league event on a national prize and visibility scale from darts, to Golden Tee Golf, foosball, Pokemon and just about any other game you can think off. To help change that, money has to come from somewhere and without major sponsors (which the IFPA are constantly working on) this is one way to generate more prize money which attracts more visibility. When I won the State Championship last year and did interviews with newspapers and other outlets about it, it was always embarrassing when they would ask how much money I won for it and I would have to say only $100. It was a major achievement to win State, it takes a lot of work and dedication to do, especially in a state like mine with great competitors and tons of events that I can't always get to because of work, wife, kids, etc. The problem is the prize package doesn't reflect that currently, so it's easier for people who don't know or care about pinball currently to diminish the accomplishment because they could have easily just won more money playing pull tabs at the bar than I just did for a year's worth of commitment and competition. That perception needs to change somehow.

On the tournament director side of things, it is already hard enough to get people out to events so I was worried about how this would be received. Already operators here have to give the house away with free beer, pizza, additional random draw prizes, additional cash, free play and organizing huge special events here just to draw some people out only once in a while. I know lots of people already look at entry fees as "donations" and any additional fees, even $1, are just more straws that break the camel's back. To put fees on the groups of people we are specifically targeting to grow location and event pinball is not right in my opinion. It would hurt attendance in MN without a doubt in my mind. I know there may be some tricky logistics for other states/events, but the happy medium solution to this for myself and all events that I run is that if this goes into effect, all endorsement fees will be paid out of the prize pool. That is a simple option offered by the IFPA and I believe the best choice for my events locally. So if 20 people show up, the prize pool for the event drops from $100 to $80 on a $5 buy in event. A $5 event will still be a $5 event. This change would be invisible to the new/casual players and cost them nothing, while still seeding a larger prize pool for the State Championship Series, in which prize money would now be distributed to most or all top 16 qualifiers in state, instead of just the top 4 previously. I am interested to see how it plays out, but I want to make sure that everyone knows that I will not put the financial burden of this on the new/casual players that attend any of my events, so they don't have to worry about that.

#388 7 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

What do you mean? You have to qualify and be in the top 16 players in a given state. Even in Alabama where numbers are low, we still run about 70 players on average in a given year. You can't just walk into the state tournament, let alone win it.

What I'm saying is that to be eligible to represent a state in the tournament, all you have to do is play in a tournament in that state. I think it would be better that a player can only qualify in the state they reside in, or they "declare" a state before the start of the next series. This topic has been discussed many times before, but I think it would be nice for the SCS to have more of a player/state identity than it does now.

#389 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

I already volunteer countless hours to pinball.

I was pent up and frustrated and the lack of details, and the lack of details are what is causing an absolute storm.

I'm all for donating, within reason. In fact I heavily donated on a gofund me to get our local player Jody to Texas this year. $50 bucks to the campaign and an additional 50 bucks in person.

I help run the largest league in Canada. I think it's perfectly acceptable to pay the yearly fee, I don't think it's reasonable to pay monthly. Paying yearly would cost our league around $700 - yearly would be $70 bucks - which I think it's great and I'm all about Donating to a good cause......within reason.

We built our league to focus less on pros, and more on average players and we've had great success. Submitting monthly would not work for us.

Hopefully IFPA can revise their announcement that will curb some of the negative feedback.

If the announcement had more detail, and listed the annual option I wouldn't have been upset, and it would have been a positive read, not a negative one...

As mentioned in every post I've made, I respect all that the IFPA has done, I didn't think what they designed was reasonable, but it actually is - it's just that the details were missing...the way I know it is now, I fully support this. EmLover1970 CrazyLevi ifpapinball

#390 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

No idea. I guess we will find out what players think at MGC. Maybe a survey.
How many events in MN are cash based vs non cash based?
When people show up to play and now a TD has to ask for a buck what will the reaction be? I don't have the answers. It maybe positive. It maybe negative. It may result in tourneys with 20 people only submitting for 5. It may result in people maybe not returning to an event.
I don't see this move by the IFPA as a cash grab. I see it as s way to level out the legimacy of the WRRP. My thought is they are trying to eliminate the amount of submissions for tournaments they fell don't measure up to the status quo. In this respect, it's a positive to lower submissions. It doesn't take a high IQ to see that.
I don't care if my rank is 230 something in the world but I do care how well I am going VS individuals in my state for the SCS.
I will never be a top 100 player. I just don't have the ambition or investment to go to other states to play pinball. I think a majority of people in my state feel the same but I can't speak for everyone. From the people who have posted in this thread, we are the TDs in WI running events. The consensus seems to be the change is not a good one for us IMHO.

I roomed with two of them last year, and haven't you been to Pinburgh at least twice? But what you are getting at is that you don't have the time for multiple pinball trips a year. I get that. It's why I did the day trips to your house. I could afford a trip if it was only a day or two. I'm getting too old to handle being up 42 hours in a 46 hour stretch... damn, getting old sucks.

Your question about how many are for cash and how many are not. Most have some small amount involved, like $5, for East Side survivor, but the Super League is just coin drop and every four player group at it's finals gets $25 to the winner paid by the operator. Blainbrook runs leagues, which cost money ($30), but it's spread out really well. They also run free tournaments that have operator funded pay outs. The one I ran in March had a player optional $5 entry fee (funny, no Wisconsin players to be seen), which went over really well. Only 4 (I think) out of 29 chose not to opt in.

#391 7 years ago

When I started to read this thread I 100% believe that the "outrage" was all part of an April Fools joke of some sort. It was only after I got deeper into the thread that I realized that it wasn't a rub but some people were legit losing their minds. Perhaps it is because of the other tournaments that I participate in (such as Racquetball) have much, much larger fees and dues in addition to the local cost of entry that it does not bother me that much.

#392 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Perhaps this is the statement that chaffs me the most. A dollar might be a pittance to you, whereas it's a struggle for me to put 100 pennies together. So now it becomes more of a "haves" vs. "have nots" type of thing, which I don't think will do much to grow the pinball userbase.

I have no idea what I should say to this. Maybe I'll use the example of what it costs me for an average trip to Blainbrook. It's about 40 minutes one way. So I guess it's going to be about $5 in gas or so. Then qualifying games will cost $6-7, if I make it to the final four, tournament games will cost another $6. I will have been there 6-7 hours at least, and food/drink will be about $15 (with the free drink chip). That adds up to $32. I'm really not going to be able to tell the difference between $32 and $33 dollars.

I haven't included any extra coin drop for warm up games, any extra beverages, games between rounds waiting for other groups.

I've never considered myself one of the 'haves' based on one dollar. That's a pretty low bar.

#394 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffpm:

I think it would be better that a player can only qualify in the state they reside in, or they "declare" a state before the start of the next series.

I see what you're saying. I wholeheartedly agree.

#395 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

I was pent up and frustrated and the lack of details, and the lack of details are what is causing an absolute storm.
I'm all for donating, within reason. In fact I heavily donated on a gofund me to get our local player Jody to Texas this year. $50 bucks to the campaign and an additional 50 bucks in person.

Thanks a lot ahole. That guy beat me!

#396 7 years ago

mmmmm but to me, your list only points out how truly arbitrary rankings are when it comes to performing at tournaments. that i here in texas should be okay with paying 30 bucks a year because idaho sent someone in the 2000s to nationals makes no sense. the rankings are already practically meaningless when ya boil it down.and i understand my money doesnt go to them, but still, your list just illustrates all the grey space between how well people do overall, and how well they will perform at the national level.

Maybe if you could think of this as an administrative fee to list your position in every event you play instead of worrying about who wins the money, it might make it easier to live with. Perhaps think of what was once a free service now costing one dollar to record your event per person. Only in this case, you have a chance to win some back.

#397 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Thanks a lot ahole. That guy beat me!

Dang! That's kinda funny. Jody is a great player and a super nice guy

#398 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

I roomed with two of them last year, and haven't you been to Pinburgh at least twice? But what you are getting at is that you don't have the time for multiple pinball trips a year. I get that. It's why I did the day trips to your house. I could afford a trip if it was only a day or two. I'm getting too old to handle being up 42 hours in a 46 hour stretch... damn, getting old sucks.
Your question about how many are for cash and how many are not. Most have some small amount involved, like $5, for East Side survivor, but the Super League is just coin drop and every four player group at it's finals gets $25 to the winner paid by the operator. Blainbrook runs leagues, which cost money ($30), but it's spread out really well. They also run free tournaments that have operator funded pay outs. The one I ran in March had a player optional $5 entry fee (funny, no Wisconsin players to be seen), which went over really well. Only 4 (I think) out of 29 chose not to opt in.

Thanks Chris.
I went to Pinburgh the last 2 years. It is a lot of fun and going back this year. I also do expo for a day every year. I play with Eric in the team tournament (non IFPA). 3 kids and a business. Can't be everywhere at once. I know Josh can relate.

I would have went to your tournament but with league & Wuana in between i couldn't make it. Just too much pinball at once.

I am happy to run my events still as IFPA events as long as people are okay with it. I always love having Art and a bunch of the MN crew at my place.
I just know the changes will affect MGC, Madison Pinball's events, mad Rollin charity event, and probably our league in the Fox Cities.

#399 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

I help run the largest league in Canada. I think it's perfectly acceptable to pay the yearly fee, I don't think it's reasonable to pay monthly. Paying yearly would cost our league around $700 - yearly would be $70 bucks - which I think it's great and I'm all about Donating to a good cause......within reason.
We built our league to focus less on pros, and more on average players and we've had great success. Submitting monthly would not work for us.
Hopefully IFPA can revise their announcement that will curb some of the negative feedback.
If the announcement had more detail, and listed the annual option I wouldn't have been upset, and it would have been a positive read, not a negative one...
As mentioned in every post I've made, I respect all that the IFPA has done, I didn't think what they designed was reasonable, but it actually is - it's just that the details were missing... emlover1970 crazylevi

Fair enough.

Maybe the IFPA could consider 15% or 20% going to nationals and keeping more money in each state. That's about the only thing I would change.

#400 7 years ago
Quoted from EmLover1970:

Maybe if you could think of this as an administrative fee to list your position in every event you play instead of worrying about who wins the money, it might make it easier to live with. Perhaps think of what was once a free service now costing one dollar to record your event per person. Only in this case, you have a chance to win some back.

my concern is not for my wallet or my wpprs. my concern is for the future of competitive pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint-denis-sur-richelieu, QC
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,610 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-charging-fees-for-tournaments-in-2018/page/8?hl=shootthepyramid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.