Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 398 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by stevevt
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IFPA-IEPinball-banner_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    DCfinal4.jpg
    DSC04405_(resized).jpg
    DSC04396_(resized).jpg
    DSC04382_(resized).jpg
    FullSizeRender_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    P1010004_(resized).JPG
    12746450_1153896141309392_661834195_n_(resized).jpg
    20160213_173420_(resized).jpg
    NCwinners_(resized).jpg
    There are 398 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
    #1 8 years ago

Year 2015 will be over soon, and Sat Feb 13th, 2016 isn't all that far away.

Anything interesting going on in your state (or province/country) concerning current IFPA pinball rankings, final tournaments of the year, as it relates to the IFPA Championship Series?

Any new or young hot players moving up in the rankings in your state, or is it just all the same good players at the top again?

http://www.ifpapinball.com/#
    http://www.ifpapinball.com/championship-series/scs
    http://www.ifpapinball.com/championship-series/scs/standings

#2 8 years ago

I'm a hot new player who went from starting playing competitively this year to #3 in South Carolina. Also I only played one event in SC. Turns out SC isn't a big pinball state yet.

#3 8 years ago

Many top players in Michigan. It's gonna be a hard state to win.
    *Not as tough as Illinois though lol

#4 8 years ago

http://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?t=p&p=14499

This young man is on fire in Portland

#5 8 years ago

35 States are listed on IFPA website under the U.S. SCS

I see that Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North & South Dakota, Tennessee, and Utah are not listed. Oh well, maybe next year a few more states will get organized and involved.

#6 8 years ago

First full year of playing competitively, currently 7th in Ohio. Ohio's not an easy state to win, lots of good players here, took many events and points to qualify. Also word on the street is that Trent will actually be playing in Ohio this year, not sand-bagging in Kentucky like he did last year

Our event will be at the new Superelectric Pinball Palor this year, and the game-lineup will mimic how it will be in Nationals, with 3 games of each era for a 12 game total.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

3 games of each era

Nice, I like it.

#8 8 years ago

Doubt I'll qualify this year as I was a TD more often than a player but I am excited to be hosting the VA SCS finals. Anyone else hosting?

#9 8 years ago

We had the time of our lives watching my son Preston Moncla win the Texas championship last year.
    It kind of came out of nowhere as we were just expecting to play some pinball and enjoy everyone's company.
    But, after round after round of winning the next thing we knew we were in Vegas to represent the state.
    So anything can happen. Certainly an experience we will never forget.

#10 8 years ago

I wonder how many out-of-staters will choose to play in Indiana State Championship Tournament?

I see that about half currently ranked in the top 25 in IN are from out-of-state (mostly IL).

#11 8 years ago

Thanks for starting this thread so I didn't have to

Anyone plan on streaming their State Championship?

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Thanks for starting this thread so I didn't have to
    Anyone plan on streaming their State Championship?

Working on it. No way I'll have the great setups like PAPA and Karl have, but I surely will be able to get 2 or 3 rigs going.

#13 8 years ago

Let us know when the streams will happen. I'll try to watch.

#14 8 years ago

I'm just hoping I can somehow get invited to one this year. If not, next year.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I'm just hoping I can somehow get invited to one this year. If not, next year.

Looking at the Kentucky standings it seems pretty possible that you'll get in. So many of those guys are out of state that just came in for LAX, and they won't be back for states.

Surprised me to see that you guys have only had 3 events! Sounds like you're going to be adding to that for next year though, right?

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Looking at the Kentucky standings it seems pretty possible that you'll get in. So many of those guys are out of state that just came in for LAX, and they won't be back for states.
    Surprised me to see that you guys have only had 3 events! Sounds like you're going to be adding to that for next year though, right?

Well the local tournaments I started hosting are actually in Cincinnati so they won't count for KY. Bummer. Oh well. Just need to do better at LAX in March. I'm def gonna give it more of a go this time around.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Well the local tournaments I started hosting are actually in Cincinnati so they won't count for KY. Bummer. Oh well. Just need to do better at LAX in March. I'm def gonna give it more of a go this time around.

Dang.

Well with LAX not being the week before PAPA this year means it's probably not going to draw the same crowd of top players that it's been doing these past couple years, so that means more qualifying room for the rest of us! (I'm hoping to make it this year, depends on cost and timing though)

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Dang.
    Well with LAX not being the week before PAPA this year means it's probably not going to draw the same crowd of top players that it's been doing these past couple years, so that means more qualifying room for the rest of us! (I'm hoping to make it this year, depends on cost and timing though)

Right on man. Hopefully I'll see you there!

#19 8 years ago

LAX is a fun time. That being said I'll be there for the third year straight. Being the last Papa Circuit event it will be a busy tourney area no doubt. Look toward seeing everyone there again.

#20 8 years ago

Running Connecticut again this year at The Sanctum again. With the NEPL our list of players is huge in every state in New England. The organizers here have a very labourous task of finding the top 16 choosing to play here. Each state usually ends up going well down the list into the 50's/60's.

We will also be streaming. Commentary may or may not happen. Depends on how far I make it

#21 8 years ago

I'm qualified for Missouri, but it's a tough road lol.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Running Connecticut again this year at The Sanctum again. With the NEPL our list of players is huge in every state in New England. The organizers here have a very labourous task of finding the top 16 choosing to play here. Each state usually ends up going well down the list into the 50's/60's.
    We will also be streaming. Commentary may or may not happen. Depends on how far I make it

I'm sitting at 46 in CT . Is it likely that i will get an invite? CT might be closer than Jersey for me and most likely, closer than PA. lol

#23 8 years ago

Colorado aint no joke....

#24 8 years ago

VT is similar to CT, with the following modifications:
    1) We might have to go into the 90s to get to 16 players.
    2) No streaming plans.

The Pinball Co-op is once again hosting the event, for the second year of its existence here. We timed our opening with the championship last year, and had to scrape to get to 10 machines. This year, we'll have 15.

#25 8 years ago

It will be the first year for Alberta, in the provincial championship the winner will receive a free flight down to the event to represent the province.

#26 8 years ago

I can't believe I am going to qualify for Texas SCS since I haven't played in a tournament since 2015 Texas Pinball Festival. Good thing I finished 2nd place in A on my bank. HAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYESSSSS!!!!

#27 8 years ago

I'm hosting Alabama SCS for the third year. Pinball isn't as big here as it is in many states. Looks like we may have to go no further than 17-18th spot! It's usually a dogfight between myself and Timmy Street, but you can't count out Bill Scrivener, Jeff Street, and several other newer players coming up the ranks. This will mark the first year that we are playing not a public venue with coin drop, but a private place with games on free-play. Yay!

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from ezeltmann:

I'm sitting at 46 in CT . Is it likely that i will get an invite? CT might be closer than Jersey for me and most likely, closer than PA. lol

46 will have a very decent chance Ed. We went that deep last year. Want me to mark you down as prefer to play in CT if your spot opens? I'll be contacting people starting next week. You'll have to play Jerry Bernard to defend his title.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I'm hosting Alabama SCS for the third year. Pinball isn't as big here as it is in many states. Looks like we may have to go no further than 17-18th spot! It's usually a dogfight between myself and Timmy Street, but you can't count out Bill Scrivener, Jeff Street, and several other newer players coming up the ranks. This will mark the first year that we are playing not a public venue with coin drop, but a private place with games on free-play. Yay!

Y'all need to have some tournies around the holidays so I can play in one - would be fun to qualify in the state that I grew up in Can't find anyone to host any down here otherwise (only two machines on location in the neighboring town which I've yet to check out)

#30 8 years ago

46 will have a very decent chance Ed. We went that deep last year. Want me to mark you down as prefer to play in CT if your spot opens? I'll be contacting people starting next week. You'll have to play Jerry Bernard to defend his title.

Not sure where all of the championships are being held, so i will keep in touch when i know more. Jerry Jerry!

#31 8 years ago

How does a tournament get credit for being in state but counts towards another state as well. Please explain the D.C. angle on being a part of 2 state results? Should they pick a state to be in for this series?

#32 8 years ago

Actually any tourney that takes place in Washington DC. shouldn't be a part of any state championship since its not in any state.
    There was a discussion of this in a prior thread. Have to look it up.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from triadwatch:

How does a tournament get credit for being in state but counts towards another state as well. Please explain the D.C. angle on being a part of 2 state results? Should they pick a state to be in for this series?

There are leagues that cross state lines during the course of their season (mostly on the east coast where the States are small).

So we had a decision to make with respect to how to handle those multi-state leagues.

A) Don't count the league towards any SCS standings

B) Let the League President decide which state they would like to have their league listed under for SCS purposes

C) Include the results in the SCS standings for every state that the league was held in over the course of that particular season

We ended up going with option C to be as inclusive as possible for all players involved, knowing that players only have the ability to participate in one State Championship on February 13th. This option essentially helped us create the Rhode Island SCS which is currently made up of New England Pinball League results ONLY. Option A would have left Rhode Island blank, and Option B (assuming the NEPL President would have selected whatever state suited him/her best personally - which probably wasn't Rhode Island) would also have kept Rhode Island out of the SCS for this year.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Actually any tourney that takes place in Washington DC. shouldn't be a part of any state championship since its not in any state.
    There was a discussion of this in a prior thread. Have to look it up.

Todd beat me to it!

Washington D.C. is not a state, but there is a DC-S

http://www.ifpapinball.com/rankings/custom_view.php?id=121

Winner still advances to Nationals . . . but that doesn't make it a "State".

#35 8 years ago

So now we have then counting for 2 states and they also have their own scs standings. Does D.C. Have their own tourney on February 13th too? If that is case then they should be taken out of both Maryland and Virginia since they have their own SCS standings.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from triadwatch:

So now we have then counting for 2 states and they also have their own scs standings. Does D.C. Have their own tourney on February 13th too? If that is case then they should be taken out of both Maryland and Virginia since they have their own SCS standings.

DC does have their own tourney on 2/13.

It's my understanding that any tournaments held JUST in DC aren't listed on the other states. Any leagues that were held in DC AND either of those neighboring states should be included in both based on how we do it.

If there are any events listed in MD or VA that didn't have any actual play included in those states please let me know and I can look into that.

#37 8 years ago

it's not that the event doesn't have events in each state,
    The problem is that players don't actually have to play in that state to have points awarded towards
    that state's SCS.
    In the case of the MD, DC and VA league a player could play an entire season without setting foot in one of the states yet be awarded
    Full WPPRs for all three locations.
    I've brought this up with Josh numerous times and the IFPA seems set to run it this way and so I suggested to my players to travel the 2+ hours to compete in this league but no one seems to want to do it. Our league participation in our state SCS will
    most likely be zero this year.

#38 8 years ago

I have to say that it seems really odd to give double dipping and award points just because a portion of the league is in that state. Even stranger since a league does not require you to play in every event. This is counter intuitive to building competitive pinball events in your own state if each year people that have not even set foot in your home state are getting points.

Playing devils advocate... If I set up an intertstate league where I travelled to various states and hosted league at friends houses, then every person from each state would be allowed to get points in every single state for SCS purposes?

I could start and interstate league which has events in WI, IL, IN, MI, MN, IA, CO, and PA just with the help of a few buddies. I could also leverage a few route locations to add some states.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

it's not that the event doesn't have events in each state,
    The problem is that players don't actually have to play in that state to have points awarded towards
    that state's SCS.
    In the case of the MD, DC and VA league a player could play an entire season without setting foot in one of the states yet be awarded
    Full WPPRs for all three locations.
    I've brought this up with Josh numerous times and the IFPA seems set to run it this way and so I suggested to my players to travel the 2+ hours to compete in this league but no one seems to want to do it. Our league participation in our state SCS will
    most likely be zero this year.

I'm curious how the league actually makes up its final standings when you have players competing all over the place. How do they decide a "winner" between these groups of players that seem to be not competing with one another?

Once the qualifiers get locked down for VA, do me a favor and let me know how many of those qualifiers didn't play any competitive pinball within VA state limits. I'll be curious to see what the actual impact is for SCS purposes.

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Playing devils advocate... If I set up an intertstate league where I travelled to various states and hosted league at friends houses, then every person from each state would be allowed to get points in every single state for SCS purposes?

I could start and interstate league which has events in WI, IL, IN, MI, MN, IA, CO, and PA just with the help of a few buddies. I could also leverage a few route locations to add some states.

I'd love to see that format, especially knowing that you need a direct play component for next year between these interstate people.

Ultimately I'm still not convinced you would make an impact on the SCS qualifying for 7 out of those 8 states, and it would actually bring Iowa into the fold as no IFPA events currently exist there . . . so I say GO FOR IT!

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

you need a direct play component for next year between these interstate people.

easy. Finals and direct play will be in WI so everyone else will need to travel to my house for a big party next Dec. I will seed based on total accumulated points for the year. Dont show up and you take a loss. At least 10% will show up to fullfill need of direct play/ playoff draw down.

Aside from that each month will feature heads up direct play so that component is already satidfied.

It would basically be a traveling super league. By the end of the year there would be a couple hundred players in the overall league to boost the base value. Top winners would qualify for multiple states if we picked the right states to play in

Basically just pointing out that double dipping is flawed in this case.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

easy. Finals and direct play will be in WI so everyone else will need to travel to my house for a big party next Dec. I will seed based on total accumulated points for the year. Dont show up and you take a loss. At least 10% will show up to fullfill need of direct play/ playoff draw down.

Aside from that each month will feature heads up direct play so that component is already satidfied.

It would basically be a traveling super league. By the end of the year there would be a couple hundred players in the overall league to boost the base value. Top winners would qualify for multiple states if we picked the right states to play in

Basically just pointing out that double dipping is flawed in this case.

So assuming a bunch of players would be willing to compete in an event they know they can't win (assuming they won't travel for the final) . . . I challenge you on the top winners qualifying for multiple states based on just this result.

Looking at Super League under WPPRv5.2 from a random month with 260+ participants. 14 players got 10 points or more. 6 players got 20 points or more.

I get what you're saying, and HYPOTHETICALLY the double dipping could be flawed, but ultimately if you actually did this, I don't think the impact would be nearly as big as you would expect.

Only one way to find out . . . bring on the SUPER DUPER LEAGUE

#43 8 years ago

lol. I have no desire to do it, but just pointing out that if EVEN 1 person were to qualify for a state they never physically stepped foot in then the ruling is flawed.

Picking states like Alabama, Indiana, Kansas, Lousiana, etc... and you could fill a decent portion of the SCS field with a traveling league.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

lol. I have no desire to do it, but just pointing out that if EVEN 1 person were to qualify for a state they never physically stepped foot in then the ruling is flawed.

Picking states like Alabama, Indiana, Kansas, Lousiana, etc... and you could fill a decent portion of the SCS field with a traveling league.

I take it that means you vote Option A

A) Don't count the league towards any SCS standings

At this point I'm not worried about hypothetical situations. We'll react to ACTUAL issues based on the events being organized, how they impact the SCS qualifying, etc.

#45 8 years ago

I would pick option D

League automatically counts towards the SCS with the majority of events in that state. If no clear majority then director has to select a single state.

Double dipping just seems silly. Count them once in a single state. It is not perfect but is better than double dipping.

#46 8 years ago

Since IFPA is giving D.C. a SCS championship date then the option should be for all tourneys count toward their own scs not count toward both Maryland, Virginia.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from triadwatch:

Since IFPA is giving D.C. a SCS championship date then the option should be for all tourneys count toward their own scs not count toward both Maryland, Virginia.

I'm confused because it sounds like we're doing something NOT consistent with Washington DC.

I'm assuming this is regarding the DMV 'stuff'? (I believe that stands for DC, Maryland, Virginia)

Based on our 2015-16 SCS rules, as long as there was ACTIVITY in DC, Maryland and Virginia for a given result, then those results count in all three areas.

If the Washington DCS didn't exist, then these results would count towards just Maryland and Virginia.

Tell me what I'm missing Keith

#48 8 years ago

You are giving a SCS date toward D.C. But counting all the DMV events in both Maryland and Virginia and also their own SCS . My point is not counting dmv for both Maryland and Virginia and let them have their own SCS for just the D.C. Area even if they have the event in upper Maryland it will only count towards the D.C. SCS standings not go towards both Maryland and Virginia that makes no sense to me. Hope that is what I am trying to convey in my interpretation of this

#49 8 years ago

On topic.

I will be the TD for WI SCS this year. The main TDs in the state have worked out a system where the SCS rotates among the 3 main areas of the state that commonly host events, assuming there is a suitable location that can host and is willing to do so. 1st year was Milwaukee, 2nd year was Appleton, and this year is the Capital, Madison. Hopefully the rotation will continue as so far it has been very nice.

Madison Pinball has offered to host the event at Schwoegler's in Madison. We are moving 12 games to a back room and really excited to be hosting this year. Shuold be a fun event and I am more excited to be hosting that playing in it. I would love if we could find someone to stream or at minimum have a camera set up over a few games and linked to a tv for spectators. Being a public location it provides the opportunity to really hype us the SCS and we are hoping some other competitive players that were unable to make the cut will come over to watch and have some fun.

We are also discussing the possibility of asking all the top 16 to chip in so we can get proper trophies for all players, 1 through 16. General feeling is that it is quite the accomplishment just to make it into the WI SCS so that deserves some fun recognition for all players.

We are discussing bringing in a few special games for the SCS beyond the 12 currently at the location (would be good to increase the diversity of the line up a bit and have some safety net if games go down).

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from triadwatch:

You are giving a SCS date toward D.C. But counting all the DMV events in both Maryland and Virginia and also their own SCS . My point is not counting dmv for both Maryland and Virginia and let them have their own SCS for just the D.C. Area even if they have the event in upper Maryland it will only count towards the D.C. SCS standings not go towards both Maryland and Virginia that makes no sense to me. Hope that is what I am trying to convey in my interpretation of this

We're allowing Washington DC to have a "DC-S", but that doesn't take away from our 2015-16 rules for the SCS.

Our current rule is:

Every event held in the US will be included in a state for the SCS as long as there was activity within the state lines as part of the results of that event.

By this rule as we currently organize the SCS, these DMV events HAVE to count in Maryland and Virginia . . . assuming that there was activity within those state lines as part of the results submitted.

What you are proposing is fine for debating rules changes for the future . . . but your proposal to change the 2015-16 qualifying rules on December 28th isn't a great idea IMO. If I'm understanding you correctly that's exactly what you're suggesting?

There are 398 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-championship-series-2015-2016-discussion-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.