Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 642 posts
  • 105 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by stevevt
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image-65.jpg
    IMG_0339(2).JPG
    IMG_0338(2).JPG
    IMG_0326(2).JPG
    IMG_0324(2).JPG
    IMG_0323(2).JPG
    IMG_0321(2).JPG
    IMG_0334(2).JPG
    IFPA Indiana SCS 1st 2nd 3rd.jpg
    bracket.png
    image.jpg
    P2070018.JPG
    P2070017.JPG
    P2070016.JPG
    10801713_10152745889926936_8545379591961588671_n.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#57 9 years ago

It took me about a week to figure this out, but as the first alternate, I'm praying for the birth of a child. Win/win, and I wouldn't feel guilty about sliding up a spot.

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from EricR:

We had a lot of people decline in NY, and a few choose other states. I think the last slot got all the way to the upper 30s. Its interesting that in some states everyone wants in and in others lots of people decline.

Similar in Colorado but for different reasons. We had a PAPA circuit event, and Worlds on consecutive weekends (and lots of large annual tournaments from local arcades during that time) - so tons of out of state (and country) players ended up with top spots. 35th is currently the last slot.

#97 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Here's my problem with that Hilton . . .
    There are some legitimate reasons for a player to actually wait and see their options before deciding (if you take the 'i'm just going to wait for the entertainment value' as illegitimate).
    1) Where is the SCS final actually held. If I pre-select my top 3 states in preference, what if Illinois gets hosted by CP Pinball down in St. Louis? What if Wisconsin gets hosted wayyyyy up North? What if Indiana gets hosted down in Bloomington instead of Lafayette? I know after picking Jay's place for Illinois, the Indiana SCS final is a much shorter drive for many of the Illinois participants. All things being equal, allowing those people to choose the 'shortest drive' is something I believe they have the right to do, and something they couldn't have done ahead of time.

This makes a lot of sense.

Quoted from ifpapinball:

2) Games being used for various SCS finals. Again, all things being equal between two State choices, for me personally I would take the game list as probably the BIGGEST factor in where I would decide and play. Someone like my dad would love to choose a heavier classics game field, while I would tend to choose the State with a more modern game field. This can't be done until the SCS sites are picked, and some investigating into the game list is done. This was actually a question posed by a few Illinois players who were looking to play to their own strengths when deciding what State to pick.

This feels kind of shady. I understand that people have earned the right to play in different states, but this is kind of gaming the system isn't it?

Quoted from ifpapinball:

3) Seeding advantages. Forgetting about who is attending, there is an advantage to knowing you will get 'home field advantage' by being the higher seeded player in any given match. This information again won't be known about until after qualifying is locked down in early January.

This also feels kind of shady. Of course you always want to play against people worse than you, but you're going to have to beat these better players one way or another. The state finals aren't even worth that many points...so really what's the difference in being 4th seed in one state and 6th somewhere else? Either way there are quite a few good players you'll have to go through.

By shady, I don't mean cheating. It's within the rules obviously. More like: it goes against the spirit of...something.

I'm curious to see how the new point system plays out.

In the end, how many players are we arguing about, and aren't these some of the best players (if they qualified for multiple states)?

If we're concerned about people on the bubble, and having to declare without knowing if they will make it in, I'm sure there is a fix for that (like you declare for multiple states but must play in the one which you are the highest seed). If the declare dates are a month out, and everything is submitted at once, a computer can figure out what's what. The bubble people will still have 3 or 4 weeks advance notice.

And if there is concern about player/organizers having an advantage, we could certainly set up an electronic submission process for this where no one would know anything until all declarations were made. (I'd even volunteer time helping to code this).

This is my first year, and I'm not good enough (yet) for it to matter to me (and I'm not within driving distance of out of state tournaments). But I do find this all very interesting. Obviously I think the goal should be for the state championship series to help grow interest in pinball and encourage local tournaments.

That said, if the players here in Colorado are super focused on trying to make the state championship, they're not talking about it out loud. Seems like just a happy bonus for most. And the people playing in the league that I'm starting tomorrow, the majority of them have no idea what WPPR points are, or that they'll be earning them.

#98 9 years ago

Personally, the point system and the state championships did make me attend more events than I otherwise would have. So, technically that did increase the size of the pie, so to speak. But I was already obsessed.

#109 9 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

It's not unique in any way from any other tournament that occurs on the same day as another out-of-state tournament.

That's an interesting point.

What if points awarded in majors did not count for eligibility towards state championship(s)? I love Trent, he's obviously an amazing player, should be able to play in any tournament he wants, and this is not a knock at him at all...but it looks like he would have qualified in 12 states. Should he really be able to represent any of those 12 as state champion? Is that good for the state championship series? Does he even want the title "Florida State Champion"? Hypothetically: if he played circuit events exclusively, should he even be competing in a state championship - since he only played 1 event in 10 different states?

Since majors are so heavily weighted, isn't the IFPA World Championship essentially the championship for players winning majors & circuit events? Why have those people crowd out locals grinding away at dozens of tournaments in their home state?

This probably isn't even a real issue - I'm just thinking out loud.

#113 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

IMO it's not shady at all. Players have different motivations for what the SCS means to THEM, although I love people projecting what it means to them on 'everyone else'.
    Here's what I see, and I talk to a TON of players about the SCS and they vary greatly in skill level/interest:
    1) Players just interested in making the cut ANYWHERE, just to play in a State Championship for the thrill of it
    2) Players interested in being the State Champ of their home state, where they have spent the year mostly battling those same players that will be in the SCS field
    3) Players that are looking for the easiest path to any State Championship crown, with the motivating factor being the glory, or the easiest path to Nationals (~$4000 prize pool) + a chance to qualify for the IFPA World's.
    My opinion is that players have earned the right for the SCS to mean whatever they want to them. With actual tangible value on the line with the Nationals trip and potential spot in the World Championship, I can't fault someone who's motivating factor is trying to find the easiest path, no matter how many people may disagree with that being an appropriate motivating factor.

Sorry, I shouldn't have been projecting what it means to everyone else. I'm not even sure what it means to me!

That's a good breakdown. So mostly, it's just the number 3 category that is being discussed in this thread. I'm sure most won't argue with that being a perfectly valid motivation, but if people in groups 1 and 2 are feeling screwed over by group 3 (which, I imagine, is a much smaller sized group), then there will be some complaining.

Josh, I really appreciate you commenting in this thread. It's certainly not necessary. I'm not even trying to complain, just discussing, and now feel guilty about it because I'm sure you've got better things to do.

#114 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I believe that under WPPR v5.0 the locals grinding away will have a much bigger impact. Under the old system every weekly/monthly tournament was limited to 25 WPPR points for that State in a given year. Now it's UNLIMITED.

For example, there's a league in New York that is a weekly league, I believe they had 72 players the first week. The winner of that week will be getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 35+ WPPR points for the NY SCS. They then get to do it AGAIN the following week. With those rules the players dropping in to play in a Circuit event in town have NO CHANCE to compete against the nearly 2000 WPPR points that this league will award as part of the NY SCS for 2015 should they run it 52 weeks this year.

Under the old system, those 52 events would be worth 0.5 WPPR points each . . . now they are 70X that value under the new system.

This is badass. Can't wait to see it in action.

#137 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

I know any of the 12 states could have been used in your example, but mine was chosen.

This wasn't a slight towards Florida, I don't know anything about the players there. I just picked it because it's not his home state, and not adjacent.

#196 9 years ago

Unless pinball tournaments grow by several orders of magnitude, you're going to have to travel far for big events. If you're not willing to travel hours for events, then you're at the mercy of where you live and the pinball scene in the immediate area.

If a few hours is too far for SCS, then why go - nationals is going to be too far to travel anyway, right?

Take this with a grain of salt: most of my neighboring states don't even have an SCS.

Solution: let's keep growing pinball.

#253 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

This year I doubt that whoever wins(Myself, Timmy, or several others who are quite capable of winning) would pony up a flight/hotel/expenses from Alabama to Vegas, especially since those of us here who do travel to events are already planning 3 or 4 out of state pinball trips this year.(Louisville, Southern Fried, Pinburgh, Papa?)

This is really surprising to me. What is it about Nationals that puts it (at best) 5th in your priority order of which out of state tournaments you are willing to travel for?

#367 9 years ago

If growing pinball is priority #1, then we should focus our time and energy on pinball players who have played in 0 or 1 competitive events. Adding tiny clauses and complications to the existing IFPA/SCS structure will have pretty close to zero impact on any of them.

I just started a league, and 12 of the 17 players have never been in a league before. A few of them primarily play on their iPads. None of them has any idea about WPPR points, the IFPA, or even that by playing in the league - they're going to show up on the website, with a score and a ranking.

For months I had been posting flyers, spreading the word through social media and other channels, contacting friends (whose own interested in pinball was started/cultivated by me at some point in the last year and a half). I've been a very visible presence at the local barcade where I operate the machines - talking to players, showing them tricks, showing them how machines work, running tournaments, and starting a league. I've talked regulars into joining - people who had seen the flyers and ignored them.

I totally understand your point whysnow, I really do. And I appreciate that you're trying to improve the system (if not rallying against it). If the current structure is so offensive that you're inclined to start a new series/system - which players is that going to affect? Certainly not the ones I've mentioned above, who I'd argue are more important to the growth of pinball.

Because of the SCS, overall I played in many more events this last year than I otherwise might have. Once I got closer to making the cut however, I actually *stopped* going to the tiny local monthlies...and made sure I had enough time to go to the bigger events. And after dozens of events, ultimately 28% of my WPPR points came from one single game of South Park in a side tournament. This new WPPR system is going to make a big difference. This is starting to feel like beating a dead horse, since there is a new system in place designed specifically to re-align incentives in a way that promotes more, and more local tournaments.

That isn't to say that just because there are other more important fish to fry, that we shouldn't also look at other things to improve. But it's pretty clear that in this thread there is an overwhelming majority that support the current system.

Anyone can do whatever they want if they don't like the system, but the growth will come from the players who aren't even aware there is a system. That's who I'm going to put my energies towards.

2 weeks later
    #443 9 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Guess I do see a difference. Show up lose every match you play and get a plaque that says 16th place. Hardly something I'd want but if others would enjoy it by all means.

I'd appreciate it. It's not like this is a tournament that anyone can enter. The 16 have been narrowed down from (potentially) hundreds of players that spent a year playing tournaments and leagues to get there.

#467 9 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Sorry if my comment was too "harsh" for you. Last time I checked this was a forum where people could voice opinions freely.
    Obviously you, Frax and a few others are the type that would love to receive that 16th place trophy.

You're allowed to express whatever opinion you want, but once it becomes clear that you're just trolling, people will get pissy.

#475 9 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I'm pretty proud of my "ribbon". If it's good enough for PAPA then it's good enough for me.
    No need to bag on it

That's so cute that you participated.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-championship-series-2014-2015-discussion-thread?tu=ryanwanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.