Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 642 posts
  • 105 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by stevevt
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image-65.jpg
    IMG_0339(2).JPG
    IMG_0338(2).JPG
    IMG_0326(2).JPG
    IMG_0324(2).JPG
    IMG_0323(2).JPG
    IMG_0321(2).JPG
    IMG_0334(2).JPG
    IFPA Indiana SCS 1st 2nd 3rd.jpg
    bracket.png
    image.jpg
    P2070018.JPG
    P2070017.JPG
    P2070016.JPG
    10801713_10152745889926936_8545379591961588671_n.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballcorpse.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#136 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

That's an interesting point.
    What if points awarded in majors did not count for eligibility towards state championship(s)? I love Trent, he's obviously an amazing player, should be able to play in any tournament he wants, and this is not a knock at him at all...but it looks like he would have qualified in 12 states. Should he really be able to represent any of those 12 as state champion? Is that good for the state championship series? Does he even want the title "Florida State Champion"?

I know any of the 12 states could have been used in your example, but mine was chosen.

With all due respect to Trent and anyone else that qualified in Florida, if someone wants the title, come try to earn it.

Playing here does not guarantee walking away with the title.

We have some decent players here, and some of us don't travel much. For what it's worth, IFPA shows I have a 3-4-2 player vs player record against Trent at tourneys, and in the 5 tourneys in my state, I finished ahead of him 3 out of 5 times.

Again, I think Trent and all of the other out of state qualifiers in our state are awesome.

But, the only sure bet of playing in Florida in February is the warmer weather

#171 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I proud that my daughter Sarah made the cut in Michigan at #12!
    http://www.ifpapinball.com/rankings/custom_view.php?id=95
    This was her first year playing competitive pinball and I think she did very well. We'll see how she does in the SCS.

That is awesome!

#178 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Looked through the list of competitors in some states to see how many "out-of-staters" decided to play in a state championship tournament in a state other than their home state.
    Florida, (1) from NY

To be fair, the one competitor listed with a home state of NY in the Florida top 16 list spends quite a bit of time down here. In fact, the record shows he has played in 18/24 eligible Florida events. He was not listed in the top 16 in his home state of NY, so playing in Florida makes perfect sense.

He is part of our Florida pinball family as far as I and many of the Florida players are concerned and I don't consider him an "out-of-stater".

#179 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Nice to see that your son is right there with you in Florida! Proud parents to be able to pass this on to our kids...

Thanks! This year will be interesting for us since he is the reigning state champ

I'd love to earn a SCS trophy to sit next to his, or maybe even he repeats! Either way would be OK with me

In any event, it's a great time for family pinball!

#223 9 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

You are very correct about that Josh. Seeing 25 make it to CO. really surprised me too. The nationals being in Vegas during other competitor friendly events should make that count raise a little bit. I'd think playing at the PHOF is a huge incentive to go in itself.

We don't travel much. The trip out to Colorado was awesome and we met some great pinball people and saw some amazing sites. Beautiful area.

If one of us is fortunate enough to represent our state (we have 2 shots!) I am sure a first time trip to PHOF/Vegas will be a treat.

#297 9 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Personally, I would go to nationals just for the experience of playing against the best players in the country even if there were no prizes at all. I would love more than anything to get a chance to play against a Keith, Bowen, Sharpe's and get my ass kicked. You might not win any money or a trophy but, you'd have an awesome experience and tons of glory points!

Bingo!

I love the fact that once a year some of the top pinball talent comes down to my state for a circuit event. It is a thrill and honor to play with these guys.

Prize money is great, but our sport allows the opportunity for regular players to play directly against world recognized players, in their own backyard, and that is awesome!

(And every once in a blue moon, you just might not get clobbered *too badly* !)

#399 9 years ago
    Quoted from triadwatch:

The one thing I would like to see changed is let the top 4 qualify for national champion so if #1 or #2 in scs could not make national offer it to 3 or 4 in succession. In nc last year 1and 2 did not go but 3 stated he would have gone if they had let him but they only allowed for 1 or 2 to go.

On one hand, I commend IFPA for even allowing the runner up to represent the state.

However, while this adjusts for situations where the State Champion is unable or unwilling to attend, and gives the next most qualified person of the State tourney a shot, the simple fact is that allowing anyone other than the State Champion to compete at the Nationals is just begging for an asterisk or explanation when listing the State Champions who are competing and their results.

The more one moves down the list, the more awkward it is to explain, and would seemingly invite the potential for some conspiring. Not saying anyone would, but imagine how it might look if a top seeded person is upset by several lower seeded players and the lower players all somehow "could not attend" or conversely if several top seeded players "could not attend" to allow for a Cinderella story to unfold. Those are just a couple of very hypothetical examples that could occur in a bizarre parallel universe.

In short, I agree only one of top 2 placers should be allowed as a representative as already stated in the IFPA rules.

2 weeks later
    #498 9 years ago

I see that some places already know the potential games. Last year and this year, we in Florida don't have any idea what games are going to be used.

While the game list surprise is interesting, I think all competitors knowing the game list would help people formulate game picking strategies and learn a little about the game ahead of time, which is not necessarily a bad thing-particularly for this caliber of tourney. With so many games out there, nobody can know all of the subtleties of each game.

The practice session is of course helpful, and is a time where many pinball players are scrambling searching for game info and papa videos on their smart phones and tablets. Sometimes knowing what sequence lights a 1000 point spinner on some obscure EM can make a world of difference.

In any case, looking forward to it!

#535 9 years ago

Florida top 4:

1 Brian Dominy
    2 Atticus Palmer
    3 Dan Coyle
    4 Jeff Palmer

Some really tight matches. Awesome day!

Congrats to BCD!

#536 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Alabama top 4:
    Chris Warren(that's me)
    Tim Street
    Travis Bender
    Bill Miller
    Our tourney ran from 10:30 AM to 6:30PM with only a 45min. break for lunch. Long fun day!
    Last match went the full 7 games. Was decided on the 7th game, last ball, on Eight Ball of all games! Timmy will be representing Alabama in Las Vegas!

Back to back 1-2 for you and Tim. Awesome!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballcorpse.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-championship-series-2014-2015-discussion-thread?tu=pinballcorpse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.