Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 642 posts
  • 105 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by stevevt
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image-65.jpg
    IMG_0339(2).JPG
    IMG_0338(2).JPG
    IMG_0326(2).JPG
    IMG_0324(2).JPG
    IMG_0323(2).JPG
    IMG_0321(2).JPG
    IMG_0334(2).JPG
    IFPA Indiana SCS 1st 2nd 3rd.jpg
    bracket.png
    image.jpg
    P2070018.JPG
    P2070017.JPG
    P2070016.JPG
    10801713_10152745889926936_8545379591961588671_n.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lotr_breath.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#145 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

To be fair, I did forget that all the separates at TPF can be 25+ points now. Whoops.
    I'm sure that Marcus is doing everything he can to max the value of that... it just was a total brainfart on my part there. My apologies for that. Maybe I should look into volunteering to help this year, by the sound of it.
    Any idea when the retroactive part of WPPR 5.0 will go live? I.E. the extra two entries, 4th year decay etc...

I thought it was 5 extra entries to count your top 20. Correct?

#150 9 years ago

Since the SCS is still new, I'm sure directors will continue to find ways to improve their tourney. Here is an improvement I implemented this year in Alabama. We play at a public location(BumperNets) that has around 30 pins. Last year we just let all the pins that were not currently broken to be available for selection. This created some issues; loud birthday party in one area of the store, waiting for public players to vacate machines, etc. This year we are putting 8 games in a special area with limited access by the public. Once our field was set, I solicited votes from the top 16 + 2 alternates for their top three pins they would like to see in the tourney! It has been interesting to see which way the votes have gone. All of the voting is not in yet, but it looks like it will be 6 Sterns, 1 Data East, and 1 EM.

#156 9 years ago
    Quoted from limelime20:

Just curious Lotr, which machines were these?

Looks like it will be Met, Aztec, LW3, Shrek, Transformers, TWD, ST. The eighth game could be any of the following with 2 votes each: WPT, Avengers,IM, WOF, Tron.

#177 9 years ago

I have 1 for sure and maybe 2 "committed to attend" who have actually committed to show up. That way if there are any no-shows we can still fill the full field of 16 and not have any 1st round byes. I think that is important.

#235 9 years ago

That extra $10 is a states choice depending on where the tourney is held. We play at a public location so players food is on their own dime.

#247 9 years ago

I feel the SCS/Nationals is set up fairly with regards to entry fees, who is eligible, prizes, format, etc. My personal opinion based partially on what I see here in Alabama is the % of states represented in the Nationals will be lower this year than last year. I won state last year but elected not to go. So our runner up decided to go, mainly because it would be a great father/son trip and they could drive(even though it was 20 hours one-way). This year I doubt that whoever wins(Myself, Timmy, or several others who are quite capable of winning) would pony up a flight/hotel/expenses from Alabama to Vegas, especially since those of us here who do travel to events are already planning 3 or 4 out of state pinball trips this year.(Louisville, Southern Fried, Pinburgh, Papa?)

I would absolutely love to win the SCS and make the trip to Vegas, but I just don't see it happening.

#258 9 years ago

I think I can explain that. These other large events are planned for well in advance. Pinburgh is a good example. Registration paid for and hotel arrangements are made 6 months in advance. Days off from work must be secured. These are not cheap trips. Now, my pinball playing time is potentially over 20 hours. Lots of bang for the buck. Same goes for Louisville and SFGE, which are both PAPA Circuit events.

The National Championship is only 7 weeks after the State Championships. Now, I don't know until after Feb 7th if I am even eligible to attend. I know it would be awesome to attend, but my potential could be 4 games and I'm done. Plus the distance traveled makes it quite possibly more expensive than any of the other trips mentioned. Another factor is that this is only the 2nd year of this. It is new, and is still catching on. In the future, if it grows and seems like a bigger deal to myself and the entire pinball competition community, I might change my priorities and move this to the top of my list.

#270 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I would assume you would still be tracking everyone like you do, just making it a requirement to play in the SCS that you are paid in full of annual dues by mid-year. You could of course make a rule for people that have played their first event ever in this year, that they would need to pay in by Dec 1st or something more reasonable/later in the year.
    I would say paying an annual membership is much more palatable to me than the current seeding model (forcing the hand of a mid tier player like me that qualified for SCS and wants to play with locals only, feels way more biased that offering a membership to all people that want the opportunity to have scores tracked for SCS purposes) . I think the IFPA does some really cool things (and alot of tracking work!) for me as a player already and I would be fine paying a small annual fee to support this. Maybe make some added data or a few more analytics available to those that are paying/card carrying members of the IFPA. That would help with the perception that people are getting something new for their membership.
    I only bring this up as a suggestion again because now 6 people in WI from this years top 16 have said things to the effect of "I don't like the current national seeding structure, but just think of this as an annual membership fee for them maintaining my profile" in the email poll I sent out. Knowing the local WI players pretty well, I think you would probably get the top 50 players that would be happy to pay in an annual membership fee with very little concern > just a rough guess. I am guessing that number would grow each year, but even at onset that would be 5x the seeded prize pool of the current design.
    I don't really see this fracturing the player base, because we get quite a bit of cool stuff from IFPA system already.

I know in our state, of the top 16 now, only like 2-4 players would even care to pay to be IFPA eligible. They just really don't get into it. Don't travel, etc. If it was as Whysnow suggests, there's absolutely no way we would fill the field of 16!

1 week later
    #416 9 years ago

I am playing in and running the Alabama SCS. Took 1st last year and hope to repeat! We play at a public location so I have been busy getting all the games in shape. This year I let all the top 17 cast votes for which games would be in the tourney. And the line-up is.............
    TWD
    ST
    MET
    WOF
    TF
    LW3
    Shrek
    Lost World
    EB
    Aztec

Interestingly, the game that received the most votes overall was.......... Aztec! Second was Metallica.

#419 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

LW3.....time to ramp out, baby!

Yes, but only after I get the flippers rebuilt today!

#422 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Even better. I think my personal record for ramp shots on a single LW3 game was around the 115 mark. I know it was over 100.

Holy Crap!

#423 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Great post LOTR_. That was very cool of you to take input from the other players, and that you are helping to ensure the machines are cleaned up & working well. Thumbs up for including an e-m and a couple early ss machines in the mix. Sounds like you will have a great tournament.
    The Louisiana state tournament will also likely include a mix of modern dmd, ss, & e-m's.
    I met 4 or 5 of you guys from AL one time at a pinball tournament that you went to in Denham Springs, LA. You've got a great group of pinball players to hang out with and compete against.
    I predict Alabama will have a new winner this year. I don't think they will let you repeat.

Oh Yeah, the Spanks tourney! Small world!

#430 9 years ago

Wow! Nice plaques! Did you do all that at your own expense?

1 week later
    #532 9 years ago

Alabama top 4:
    Chris Warren(that's me)
    Tim Street
    Travis Bender
    Bill Miller

Our tourney ran from 10:30 AM to 6:30PM with only a 45min. break for lunch. Long fun day!

Last match went the full 7 games. Was decided on the 7th game, last ball, on Eight Ball of all games! Timmy will be representing Alabama in Las Vegas!

1 week later
    #601 9 years ago
    Quoted from funtimewithdave:

If its not on the calendar for 30 days, its not for IFPA points.

Josh always makes exceptions for Stern Launch Parties because Stern generally does not give anybody 30 days notice of when the new games are coming out.

#606 9 years ago

We played at a public location where all of the games are also for sale. We had ten games lined up but they sold the Lost World two days before the SCS! So we just went with 9 and it worked out great. 6 Sterns, 1 Early SS, 1 EM, 1 DE.

#610 9 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Were the games set aside for the tournament, or were you sharing space with the public?

We had a private area set aside.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lotr_breath.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-championship-series-2014-2015-discussion-thread?tu=lotr_breath and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.