Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 642 posts
  • 105 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by stevevt
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image-65.jpg
    IMG_0339(2).JPG
    IMG_0338(2).JPG
    IMG_0326(2).JPG
    IMG_0324(2).JPG
    IMG_0323(2).JPG
    IMG_0321(2).JPG
    IMG_0334(2).JPG
    IFPA Indiana SCS 1st 2nd 3rd.jpg
    bracket.png
    image.jpg
    P2070018.JPG
    P2070017.JPG
    P2070016.JPG
    10801713_10152745889926936_8545379591961588671_n.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bkerins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I would say letting a few drama fueled self important donkeys string along those still getting into the sport and possibly on the bubble in their home state due to these toolbags playing the waiting game (when they already know where they are planning to play) is very disrespectful to the comraderie some of us are helping to build with the sport on a state level.

Why do you refer to other players as "drama fueled self important donkeys" and "toolbags" and their actions as "pretty dickish"? That's extremely disrespectful. You're calling people these names because they ... followed the rules of the system IFPA built? Come on. If you're really trying to build camaraderie among players, name-calling is not a great way to start.

A lot of what you say here is completely legit, suggesting a different way in which the SCS fields are built. It's hard to take these comments seriously when they are coupled with insults.

#118 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

SMH....
    Don't understand how a state that has one event a year, and no other tourneys a year, gets a PAPA circuit event.
    Seriously, their "three qualifying events" were the LAST YEAR'S SCS tournament, Louiville Expo, and the PRE-Louisville Expo tournament. They literally had nothing that was not directly the result of the Louisville Expo all year long.
    As far as "all the ringers showing up"...they're there BECAUSE it's a circuit event, and no other reason. Look at the pre-expo tournament. Three guys in the top 100 including Trent, got beat out by four unranked guys and one guy in the 8000s. You cannot judge someone's skill by their IFPA ranking alone. It's impossible, and everyone will have a bad run here or there..

A group from PAPA comes down from Pittsburgh to operate the tournament at the Louisville Arcade Expo. It is a high-quality event and tournament, and that's why it has strong attendance. The group that runs Louisville Arcade Expo has no control over what other events occur in that state throughout the year. Whether or not there are other tournaments in that state shouldn't be relevant to the quality of the events it does have. One could make a reasonable argument that there shouldn't be a Kentucky IFPA State Champion given the low number of events in the state: last year the minimum number of events was 4 and has been lowered to 2.

FYI, PAPA Circuit is expanding and is moving to a more democratic process for event selection in 2015-16. See the details here for how to apply:

http://papa.org/2015/01/02/2015-16-papa-circuit-details/

#120 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Kinda feel like we got pooched with PAPA trying to have a circuit event at Pinballz. They had little interest in accommodating what PAPA really needed as far as I heard....didn't want to move games, location had to stay open to regular cx's etc.. seemed like it was about advertising their business more than it was about having a prestigious tournament circuit event, ya know? Anwyays...that's the past.

Pinballz moved 10 machines into a special location for the event, made that area of its space off-limits to customers, and spent a ton of time bulletproofing those games for the event. PAPA never asked Pinballz to close to regular customers, as far as I know, and I was the PAPA representative at the Pinballz PAPA Circuit event.

You say "we got pooched with PAPA", I'm not sure what you mean by "we". I don't recall names against Pinside names well, so I'm sorry that I don't remember you from the Pinballz event. I felt it was well organized on their part, started and ended on time, and 100% of the money collected in entries was paid out in prizes.

#121 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

My point was I was hoping that TPF would be able to draw back the really competitive guys at some point with the relative success the tournament area had last year, but so much has been scheduled right around and on top of it that there's no reason for anyone to come down here... there's no points bonus to do so, no incentive in the form of it counting towards the PAPA circuit.. etc... maybe next year?

When is it? TPF should consider applying for PAPA Circuit if that is a target: http://papa.org/2015/01/02/2015-16-papa-circuit-details

I only attended once, and that was coincidental (I had business in the immediate area). I generally can only travel to 3-4 events per year. Players are motivated to attend an event by many factors -- the prize pool and the percentage of the prize pool paid out, the timing of events, a set of well-publicized and well-followed rules, a good balance between the "grind" of tournament qualifying versus the fun of being at a pinball show with friends. From the PAPA page above:

"PAPA’s preexisting agreements with individual tournaments will be dissolved, and the entire Circuit calendar will be based off of what the players themselves choose as the best events. Tournament directors will no longer be required to convince PAPA representatives of the high quality of their event, they will be required to make decisions that convince the players themselves."

#146 9 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

Is this being held where I think it's going to be held?
    mbisonyesss.gif

Uhhh... what? The Circuit tournaments can be anywhere. Circuit Final 2016 is unscheduled at this time but likely to be held the day before PAPA 19.

#334 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

um... The top 16 in each state are forced to pay for the national pot, IF they want to compete in the SCS. Oddly enough, many do not even appear to know this.
    It really is quite simple.

... but your alternative is to force *everyone* to pay, IF they want to compete in the SCS. How is that better??

#336 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I do not think competitive pinball is big enough to have competing forces for growth of the sport and for the most part I like everything the IFPA has and continues to do, but would like to see a little more ongoing discussion and actual progression which thinks a bit more about the new and getting more active players.

Then have a real discussion, and stop calling people self-important donkeys, toolbags, or panty sniffers, and stop posting idiotic off-topic pictures. Like I said before, this behavior makes it very difficult for anyone to listen to or care about anything else you say.

If you care only about local growth and not the national or worldwide state of pinball, then do your own thing, and let IFPA do theirs. If you choose to host an independent state championship, like many states do, then you should probably do it without using IFPA's information as the basis for your anti-IFPA event. Why would you limit to 24 players if the goal is to get more involvement from new and beginner players? Let everyone play, and crown a champion.

#378 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

You are the only one calling names now and throwing out personal attacks. Not once have I pointed at a specific person and called them an idiot, like you have done just now.

Just so we're clear, you're saying the following are all fine because you didn't name a specific person, so they don't qualify as "personal attacks", just "attacks". (You edited out the phrase "self-important donkeys", so we don't have your direct quote on that one anymore.)

Quoted from Whysnow:

these toolbags playing the waiting game

Quoted from Whysnow:

multiple thumbs down from all you chubby chasin panty sniffers

But: it's out of bounds and a personal attack for someone to tell you that your decision to post something you marked as NSFW, seven other people objected to, and 12 people voted down, was "idiotic". The image has been removed from Pinside, and that says a lot! Calling a thing or a decision idiotic is not the same as calling someone an idiot.

Anyway, I guess name calling or saying something is idiotic isn't your thing.

Quoted from Whysnow:

you are the negative bullshit of the entire community. [...] shitting in this hobby and all over pinside.

Quoted from Whysnow:

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic polls I have ever seen.

Quoted from Whysnow:

you were so stupid that you thought it was a real gold version and had convinced the seller over the phone when I was enroute that the game was worth possibly 7k.
    You then followed it all up by complaining (whining) on pinside that you did not get the game. I knew it was you even before you posted your stupid thread back then [...] Keep in mind this is the same DB that thinks his games are worth twice market and everyone elses games are worth much less. [...] his panties are still in a bunch that I beat him on the deal and then turned it directly over to a friend for cost.

Quoted from Whysnow:

that picture was on topic as people were discussing hiring cocktail waitresses to serve drinks at WI SCS. I thought that was an accurate representation of the attractive females that we may have hired to serve us drinks with little umbrellas. I am sorry if you took offense to it [...] lighten up a little.

I didn't take offense. Read what I said: it's difficult or impossible to listen to any of the legitimate things you have to say when it is buried among this garbage.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I have a feeling if you had actually read and participated in the thread instead of just coming back in to hurl personal attacks at select points that you would know this is far from an anti-IFPA event I am suggesting.

I've read every post in this thread and responded when I felt I had something to contribute. The fact that you considered calling your event "the real WI state championship" shows precisely what you are interested in doing. It suggests you believe the IFPA event isn't "real" or legitimate. What makes you say that?

For a little more context, here's what you had to say to an IFPA staff member a year ago.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Yeah that would be the typical IFPA response to something like that. [...] IFPA just makes shit up as they go along (or changes their mind back and forth).

They often are not self aware enough to even look outside of their own bubble

[...]

doing an IFPA event seems to cause extra headache and hassle as I feel pretty confident that the people typically causing issues would not show up if it was not IFPA.

Good luck with the real WI state championship!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bkerins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-championship-series-2014-2015-discussion-thread?tu=bkerins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.