Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 642 posts
  • 105 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by stevevt
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image-65.jpg
    IMG_0339(2).JPG
    IMG_0338(2).JPG
    IMG_0326(2).JPG
    IMG_0324(2).JPG
    IMG_0323(2).JPG
    IMG_0321(2).JPG
    IMG_0334(2).JPG
    IFPA Indiana SCS 1st 2nd 3rd.jpg
    bracket.png
    image.jpg
    P2070018.JPG
    P2070017.JPG
    P2070016.JPG
    10801713_10152745889926936_8545379591961588671_n.jpg
    There are 642 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 13.
    #451 9 years ago
    Quoted from appeac:

Here's the bracket for MI for breaking ties - hopefully it won't end up too much of a cluster.

To keep things flowing for the tiebreakers, I would put players out in 4-player matches when possible, gets things done in one shot. (instead of 3, 2-plyr matches, using 3 machines)
    Just a thought if things are going to be too clogged up.

#452 9 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Kinda reminds me of the participation trophys they used to give out in little league. Should just stick to the top 4.

And it sounds to me like anyone complaining is butthurt they didn't make the top 16, so there ya go.

#453 9 years ago

Congratulations to everyone who made it, and best of luck to you all. This will be my first year to attend. I'm very much looking forward to it. 16th place, trophy or not, I'm just honored to be a part of it. See you in round one, Frax.

#454 9 years ago
    Quoted from Spraynard:

Playing in Texas this year! I had the opportunity to defend my title in Indiana, but for various reasons decided to do TX. Trying to be the first to win an SCS in two separate states. I think there are only a few others competing for that title as well.
    Phil

Spraynard! I didn't know your pinside name was so epic!

#455 9 years ago

I think the plaques for all 16 is a nice touch. I know they have already been made so that is what it is. I would suggest doing like what the IFPA World Championship does. The 64 qualifiers at the last one I went to got a cool hand towel with the logo, city, etc. The only difference was it said 'Qualifier' and it didn't matter where you finished.

#456 9 years ago
    Quoted from BangBackula:

Congratulations to everyone who made it, and best of luck to you all. This will be my first year to attend. I'm very much looking forward to it. 16th place, trophy or not, I'm just honored to be a part of it. See you in round one, Frax.

Epically jealous of that board name, dude. Too bad I've been tied to mine for like 20 years LOL!

#457 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

And it sounds to me like anyone complaining is butthurt they didn't make the top 16, so there ya go.

Maybe when I was 8 and didn't make the playoffs in soccer or little league. I guess that about when I stopped needing a pat on the back for everything.

But hey enjoy your "participation award".

#458 9 years ago

If you're not involved/qualified why do you care what they receive? Making top 16 is a big commitment of time in most areas. Would they rather a first place trophy, yeah i'm sure but its a cool gesture for the #16 as well.

#459 9 years ago
    Quoted from Philk:

If you're not involved/qualified why do you care what they receive? Making top 16 is a big commitment of time in most areas. Would they rather a first place trophy, yeah i'm sure but its a cool gesture for the #16 as well.

You're exactly right I don't care was just making an observation. I guess it means a lot to some people.

#460 9 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

You're exactly right I don't care was just making an observation. I guess it means a lot to some people.

Yes, and it's generally considered polite to keep such observations to yourself. Nothing is ever gained by comments like "I don't know how you could pray, but if it makes you feel better..." or "Your wife doesn't seem that attractive, but I guess if you love her..."

#461 9 years ago
    Quoted from dbellAZ:

Yes, and it's generally considered polite to keep such observations to yourself. Nothing is ever gained by comments like "I don't know how you could pray, but if it makes you feel better..." or "Your wife doesn't seem that attractive, but I guess if you love her..."

Nailed it.

#462 9 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Maybe when I was 8 and didn't make the playoffs in soccer or little league. I guess that about when I stopped needing a pat on the back for everything.

"Participation Award" would apply if anyone could just sign up for the competition and go. Anyone that made it into this tournament did actually achieve something, at least in certain states where the competition is heavy.

A true "Participation Award" would be for people that did NOT make the top 16 (like yourself?).

#463 9 years ago

I'm 54th in the state of Texas and I'm ready for my trophy award ceremony.

#464 9 years ago
    Quoted from Spraynard:

Playing in Texas this year! I had the opportunity to defend my title in Indiana, but for various reasons decided to do TX. Trying to be the first to win an SCS in two separate states. I think there are only a few others competing for that title as well.
    Phil

Yeah, I'll be trying for that as well in WA, was last year's TX.

#465 9 years ago

Bob Matthews is going for this feat as well, in NV this time. So we already know we'll have a new AZ champion this year.

#466 9 years ago
    Quoted from dbellAZ:

Sorry if my comment was too "harsh" for you. Last time I checked this was a forum where people could voice opinions freely.

Obviously you, Frax and a few others are the type that would love to receive that 16th place trophy.

#467 9 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Sorry if my comment was too "harsh" for you. Last time I checked this was a forum where people could voice opinions freely.
    Obviously you, Frax and a few others are the type that would love to receive that 16th place trophy.

You're allowed to express whatever opinion you want, but once it becomes clear that you're just trolling, people will get pissy.

#468 9 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

16th out of a couple hundred just trying to make the event is something to be proud of for many.

#469 9 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

To keep things flowing for the tiebreakers, I would put players out in 4-player matches when possible, gets things done in one shot. (instead of 3, 2-plyr matches, using 3 machines)
    Just a thought if things are going to be too clogged up.

We wanted to keep the head-to-head series format, and with 25 games to pick from (that we will set up pretty difficult) I don't think we'll have too many issues. The bottlenecks will really only happen with the crazy Stern lovers of the group, and so they'll only be tying up 1 or 2 machines at a time, haha.

Edit: I'm more worried about people figuring out who they're supposed to play next rather than gameplay time.

Quoted from desertT1:

As far as how the ties might be handled... I don't know if IFPA says thou shalt have 8 ties for the first set eliminated, or not. But, I run a single elimination bi-weekly event. It's meant to be a quicker event since we meet up every 2 weeks. Whoever is elminated in a round is matched with everyone else who is eliminated in a round. All of those players play a single game on the same machine and the scores are ordered. That is the final placing among that set of players. If these trophies aren't being supplied by IFPA, I don't see an issue with the group submitting ties for the record, but duking it out on the side.

IIRC, IFPA specifies bo7 single elim as a minimum, not maximum. Breaking ties is encouraged if time/space/machine count allow, but not required. Results submitted as true rankings will apply to point payout, though.

#470 9 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

No, was just explaining why you're considered rude. Everyone has their own interests and passions that others think are silly - you happen to have stumbled onto a site where people are passionate about pinball. My kids have dozens of trophies cluttering up the house as it is, so really don't need more, but I think making the top 16 in CA would be a phenomenal achievement. I won my local league and I know I'm not nearly good enough to do that. Yet.

#471 9 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Spraynard! I didn't know your pinside name was so epic!

Ha. Is that you, Mr. Hawk?

#472 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgWait, I gotta be ready by Saturday?!!!

Post edited by bangerjay: LIONMAN

#473 9 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Wait, I gotta be ready by Saturday?!!!
    Post edited by bangerjay: LIONMAN image.jpg 114 KB

Meh, Novus and Windex are handy. Good enough.

#474 9 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

I'm pretty proud of my "ribbon". If it's good enough for PAPA then it's good enough for me.
    No need to bag on it
    IMG_2573.JPGIMG_2573.JPG

#475 9 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I'm pretty proud of my "ribbon". If it's good enough for PAPA then it's good enough for me.
    No need to bag on it

That's so cute that you participated.

#476 9 years ago

Weather forecasts for much of the U.S. don't look too bad for Fri & Sat this coming weekend, but Sun doesn't look to be so great for traveling back home.

Toledo, OH & Boston, MA areas may have a worse travel weather forecast than most other cities.
    Lots of rain in NW USA, but I guess that's normal up over there.

I didn't check weather forecasts for up in Canada. We already know it's gonna be cold ay.

Drive careful, and don't slip on the ice and bust your butt (or your flippin fingers).

#477 9 years ago

Weather's gonna be horrible in northern Illinois, everybody stay home!

#478 9 years ago

Line up for North Carolina at flippers in outer banks

Walking Dead
    Star Trek le
    Mustang
    AC/DC le
    Cactus Canyon
    Metallica
    Monster Bash
    Medieval madness
    Circus Voltaire
    No good gofers
    Spider-Man
    Demo Man

#479 9 years ago

It's not officially part of the IFPA State Championship series but Washington DC will be having a tournament on the same day at the same time. I qualified for both Virginia and Maryland but i work in DC and feel sorry for the poor DC residents that have to pay Federal taxes and don't have representation in Congress or representation in the IFPA SCS so i'm running the DC tournament. On the plus side i'm not restricted to 16 players and have had a few qualifying tournament and am up to 24 players so far with one last qualifying chance so while all the good players are off in VA and MD trying to advance to Las Vegas and win a pinball machine i'll be slumming it in DC trying to get a healthy bag of WPPR's because i'm ranking obsessed

#480 9 years ago

Games are ready to go at flippers in outer banks N.C.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #481 9 years ago

Vermont lineup:

Attack from Mars
    Black Pyramid
    Fire!
    Firepower
    Indianapolis 500
    Judge Dredd
    Mata Hari
    Metallica
    NBA Fastbreak

Alien Poker is also possible. Players have been made aware of the uncertainty of this one.

#482 9 years ago
    Quoted from fna_royam:

It's not officially part of the IFPA State Championship series but Washington DC will be having a tournament on the same day at the same time. I qualified for both Virginia and Maryland but i work in DC and feel sorry for the poor DC residents that have to pay Federal taxes and don't have representation in Congress or representation in the IFPA SCS so i'm running the DC tournament.

I'd be astonished if the IFPA didn't let DC run an SCS event if you asked next year..

#483 9 years ago
    Quoted from Excalabur:

I'd be astonished if the IFPA didn't let DC run an SCS event if you asked next year..

Puerto Rico needs to be a state.

Also some states need to be split up as well.

#484 9 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Vermont lineup:
    Attack from Mars
    Black Pyramid
    Fire!
    Firepower
    Indianapolis 500
    Judge Dredd
    Mata Hari
    Metallica
    NBA Fastbreak
    Alien Poker is also possible. Players have been made aware of the uncertainty of this one.

Wow. I would have my ass handed to me on this lineup. Guess I know some of the games I need to practice at ReplayFX. 24 hours from now many will be on the road!

#485 9 years ago

The game list for Ohio is very much to my liking. Stoked to compete tomorrow!

Tron
    Metallica Premium
    ACDC Premium
    Paragon
    The Addams Family
    STTNG
    Dr Dude
    Roadshow
    Whitewater
    Medieval Madness
    Twilight Zone
    Congo
    World Cup Soccer
    Demolition Man
    Big Game
    Nine-Ball
    Iron Man (tentative)
    Cyclopes (tentative)
    Harlem Globetrotters (tentative)

#486 9 years ago

The IFPA Texas State Championship Lineup.
    We will be raising money for "Kids Fight Cancer" by hosting a secondary PinGolf Event.

Texas Lineup:
    Bally Champion Pub
    Bally Cirqus Voltaire
    Bally Creature From The Black Lagoon
    Bally Scared Stiff
    Bally Twilight Zone

Gottlieb Cleopatra (EM)
    Gottlieb Neptune (EM)
    Gottlieb Spirit of 76 (EM)

JJP Wizard of Oz LE

Stern ACDC Premium
    Stern Ali
    Stern Batman The Dark Knight
    Stern Family Guy
    Stern Pirates of the Carribbean
    Stern Lord Of The Rings
    Stern Spider-Man
    Stern Star Trek LE
    Stern Tron LE

Williams Medieval Madness
    Williams Monster Bash
    Williams Revenge From Mars
    Williams White Water

#487 9 years ago

Avengers
    Dark knight
    Star Trek le
    Lotr
    Potc
    Tron
    Transformers
    Metallica
    Kiss
    Dr who
    Safecracker
    Andromeda
    Mata Hari
    Embryon
    Xenon
    Spectrum
    Centaur
    Dragonfist
    Paragon
    Jackbot
    Cftbl
    Addams family
    Fire
    Pinbot
    Time fantasy
    Starlight
    Cosmic gunfight
    Warlok
    Blackout
    Jungle lord
    Barracora
    Indy jones (stern)
    Spider-Man (stern)
    Family guy
    Algar
    Black hole
    Cirqus Voltaire
    Totan
    Medieval madness
    Monster bash
    Junkyard
    Theatre of magic
    Champion pub
    Sttng
    Banzaii run
    Afm
    Scared stuff
    No fear
    Dracula
    Rfm
    Swe1
    Viking
    Illinois' list so far

#488 9 years ago

That's it?

#489 9 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Illinois' list so far

No Goin' Nuts

#490 9 years ago

Goin' nuts is on the bubble

#491 9 years ago

And superman Gavin spent some time going over everything , so we should be at 100%!

#492 9 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

And superman Gavin spent some time going over everything , so we should be at 100%!

If I wasn't competing in WI I'd pay to be a spectator at the IL Championship. Going to be some interesting strategic game choices and some tough battles with that line up!

#493 9 years ago

My son Preston who is the 10th spot in Texas and I are heading up to North Dallas in a few hours. I am looking forward to the Pingolf side tourney as well as watching the main competition.

#494 9 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

If I wasn't competing in WI I'd pay to be a spectator at the IL Championship. Going to be some interesting strategic game choices and some tough battles with that line up!

We can ask Tom to put the live stream on his big screen downstairs so we can watch

#495 9 years ago

Quebec PCS Lineup:

Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Harlem Globetrotters on Tour
    Indianapolis 500
    Metallica Pro
    Robocop
    Strange Science
    Tron Pro

#496 9 years ago
    Quoted from Excalabur:

It's not a new request... :/

#497 9 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

My son Preston who is the 10th spot in Texas and I are heading up to North Dallas in a few hours. I am looking forward to the Pingolf side tourney as well as watching the main competition.

You guys gonna be at FUN? I wasn't gonna go, but I might swing by and say hi if so...

#498 9 years ago

I see that some places already know the potential games. Last year and this year, we in Florida don't have any idea what games are going to be used.

While the game list surprise is interesting, I think all competitors knowing the game list would help people formulate game picking strategies and learn a little about the game ahead of time, which is not necessarily a bad thing-particularly for this caliber of tourney. With so many games out there, nobody can know all of the subtleties of each game.

The practice session is of course helpful, and is a time where many pinball players are scrambling searching for game info and papa videos on their smart phones and tablets. Sometimes knowing what sequence lights a 1000 point spinner on some obscure EM can make a world of difference.

In any case, looking forward to it!

#499 9 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Excalabur said:

It's not a new request... :/

Yes asked and answered. a little disapointing but on the flip side i feel like i'm running a bit of a renegade tournament, makes me feel like a rebel. DC is a unique situation , unfortunately it's usually unique in that they are second class citizens in many respects, no vote in congress and worse than that when DC voters try to do something Congress sometimes will countermand it. Irrespective, We have a growing and enthusiastic DC based pinball scene with many new players that are DC based. Since DC is unique we'll be doing unique type tournaments here ( speed running being one example ). The location we had would have allowed us to bring in more games if we were going to be part of the SCS but as we are not our lineup is just 6 games

The Walking Dead
    Stern Star Trek
    AC/DC
    Judge Dress
    Road Show
    Twister

#500 9 years ago

Are any State Championships going to be streamed on Twitch or anywhere else?
    Why haven't I asked this yet?
    Buffalo Pinball will be live tweeting, but not the same.
    https://twitter.com/buffalopinball

There are 642 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ifpa-championship-series-2014-2015-discussion-thread/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.