4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 642 posts
  • 105 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by stevevt
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 44 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
    image-65.jpg
    IMG_0339(2).JPG
    IMG_0338(2).JPG
    IMG_0326(2).JPG
    IMG_0324(2).JPG
    IMG_0323(2).JPG
    IMG_0321(2).JPG
    IMG_0334(2).JPG
    IFPA Indiana SCS 1st 2nd 3rd.jpg
    bracket.png
    image.jpg
    P2070018.JPG
    P2070017.JPG
    P2070016.JPG
    10801713_10152745889926936_8545379591961588671_n.jpg

There are 642 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.
    #1 4 years ago

How are things shaping up in your state/province/country concerning the upcoming big IFPA Championship Tournaments?

On the IFPA website I see that many players have selected/committed to which state (or Canadian province) pinball tournament they plan to play in.

Some players are ranked in two or more states and haven't replied yet, and this is creating a bit of extra drama and will cause a few people to get bumped out that as of now are "in".

Most of these championship tournaments will be held on Sat Feb 7th, 2015 I believe, but perhaps some may be held on other dates in late Jan to early/mid Feb.

Hope everyone who attends/participates have a fun time at these upcoming tournaments.

#3 4 years ago

This year there are 33 states listed under IFPA U.S. SCS.
    Wasn't it around 28 to 30 states last year that were organized and listed on the IFPA website?

Which states are the ones added in the past year, and thus are competing for their first IFPA State Champion?

#4 4 years ago

I'll be playing (and winning ) the Massachusetts finals

#5 4 years ago

New states in the SCS include Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Nevada and West Virginia.

All SCS championships and PCS championships ... And also the ECS will be happening on February 7th. We'll be crowning 38 different champions that day.

#6 4 years ago

Just curious, what qualifies a state to have a State Championship? I help organize what I think is the only event(s) in Tennessee. At this point we're much too small to have a championship, but I have had people in the past ask about it. Hopefully we'll have enough growth to have one next year.

#7 4 years ago

You guys have the Gameroom Galaxy arcade, so I'm actually surprised that TN isn't in the list. Is it just due to a lack of players? Maybe I should compete up there, where I have a better chance, lol.

#8 4 years ago

Texas waiting on last possible participant to confirm or call for another state...he's qualified in three. I can't wait. I think what's fun about ours right now is over half of the field is currently, or has been, in the top 150 overall.

+ one more who used to be top 150.

tough crowd, dude!

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You guys have the Gameroom Galaxy arcade, so I'm actually surprised that TN isn't in the list. Is it just due to a lack of players? Maybe I should compete up there, where I have a better chance, lol.

Come on up - the more the merrier. Our events are at Game Galaxy, so there is the luxury of choosing among 80 machines! We average around 7-10 players per event. As far as IFPA points go, we have a 'monthly tournament' instead of a league, so you can actually get a few points if you come up and win. Usually the first Saturday of the month, but check www.midtnpinball.com for more details. Sorry for the thread hijack.

#10 4 years ago

To qualify for the SCS the IFPA looks for the following:

- At least 2 events held in that state
    - A volunteer to serve as the IFPA State Representative and handle the logistics of organizing and running the State Championship tournament itself

Josh

#11 4 years ago

What is the reason for the West Virginia State Championship being held in Pennsylvania?

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from JBK:

What is the reason for the West Virginia State Championship being held in Pennsylvania?

WV State Rep didn't feel confident with the location options in WV, and felt that the PA location chosen will result in less potential issues for the championship.

KY's State Championship is also in OH this year, so there's a couple happening cross borders.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

WV State Rep didn't feel confident with the location options in WV, and felt that the PA location chosen will result in less potential issues for the championship.

KY's State Championship is also in OH this year, so there's a couple happening cross borders.

Wow, can't find a place in either state with at least 5 pins to play?
    Maybe someone in those state's can chime in...I find it hard to believe.,
    but could it be??

#14 4 years ago

With best of 7 matches, a collection of at least 7+ games is preferred for the State Reps to use (just to avoid repeat game titles in the same match).

#15 4 years ago

Wow, I wish those states could find a local place to play.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

WV State Rep didn't feel confident with the location options in WV

Plenty of places to have qualifying tournaments but no place to have the championship???????

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from limelime20:

Wow, I wish those states could find a local place to play

Yes!

#18 4 years ago

It's up to the State Rep to make the call on that.

Personally for me in Illinois there were a ton of locations where qualifying tournaments were held that I definitely would not consider for the State Championship tournament itself.

I find for IL using one of the home collections makes for a better chance for a smoother event, with my effort going towards finding a host collection that isn't one of the qualifiers.

You would have to talk to the individual State Rep to get feedback on their process.

#19 4 years ago

There sure must be a lot of good pinball players in Ohio.

Ohio's state tournament will have players that are all from Ohio.
    No one from out of state except maybe one person made the Ohio top 16, and no out-of-state players decided to play in Ohio's state tournament.

In addition to that, the Ohio players are also filling up slots for the Kentucky state tournament.

Same thing with Illinois: Illinois tournament is filled up with Illinois players.
    The out-of-staters all elect to not play in the Illinois tournament.
    And several Illinois players are also filling up slots in the Indiana tournament.

#20 4 years ago

Wow, Kentucky is really interesting. Went all the way down to Rank 84 to get 16!

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spraynard:

Wow, Kentucky is really interesting. Went all the way down to Rank 84 to get 16!

Yes, it is one of the more interesting states in that regard, but there is still 15 or so on the Kentucky registr status list with an "unknown" status that are in the Ky top 50, so we'll need to see what they decide to see what the actual 16 player tournament list will look like.

#22 4 years ago

What's up with PA? 1 Player? Did everyone else want Jon to win?

#23 4 years ago

See you in Vegas Linn. I'll be bringing home the bacon at the CT finals. =)

Quoted from Linolium:

I'll be playing (and winning ) the Massachusetts finals

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

What's up with PA? 1 Player? Did everyone else want Jon to win?

Jon is just that good plus they know how he can handle a chainsaw so running away sceered.

#25 4 years ago

Looks like WI will be 100% in state people thie year.

What is up with some people still not committed? I thought all commitments had to be in by Sunday 11th? Pretty lame that some are holding out till the last minute. Yet another reason that i think the IFPA sound require people to pre-commit to a state or order of states by mid Dec. Lots of these guys appear to be waiting till the last minute so they can see who is doing each state.

Also woudl be good if IFPA did not publish any commitments untill the entire field is set.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

There sure must be a lot of good pinball players in Ohio.
    Ohio's state tournament will have players that are all from Ohio.

You're right, there are lots of good players here! Some of them are very underrated because they don't travel or play in many ranked events.

I found it interesting that the #1 qualified player in Ohio has chosen to play in Kentucky. It will definitely make it feel like less of an "Ohio Championship" without having to compete against the top player in the state.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

What is up with some people still not committed? I thought all commitments had to be in by Sunday 11th? .

Registration for all 33 states closes on Tuesday, January 13th at 7pm CST. Any player that has not accepted their invitation by that time will be ineligible to participate.

#28 4 years ago

I'm sure most people in this thread are aware of the handy state registration list link, but it can't hurt to post it.

http://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/scs/state_registration.php

Unfortunately, we only have 10 people committed to playing here in VT. We probably won't be adding any, but you never know. On the plus side, that's 10 more people than VT had last year.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Looks like WI will be 100% in state people thie year.
    What is up with some people still not committed? I thought all commitments had to be in by Sunday 11th? Pretty lame that some are holding out till the last minute. Yet another reason that i think the IFPA sound require people to pre-commit to a state or order of states by mid Dec. Lots of these guys appear to be waiting till the last minute so they can see who is doing each state.
    Also woudl be good if IFPA did not publish any commitments untill the entire field is set.

Yep...we still have one unknown in TX at this point too, unless he's said something to our director and it hasn't been answered. His response will determine who I play in the first round for sure.. either way I get to play against people I haven't frequently played against, which is always fun.

Also getting a lot of static between participants and the state organizer (who is also qualified and participating) over games at the location (which had to be moved to the residence of someone else who is qualified and participating) being used because of *possible* glitches and scoring weirdness in addition to the side tournament interfering. Epic drama lulz.. I'm just ready to play some pinball, man.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Personally for me in Illinois there were a ton of locations where qualifying tournaments were held that I definitely would not consider for the State Championship tournament itself.

I find for IL using one of the home collections makes for a better chance for a smoother event, with my effort going towards finding a host collection that isn't one of the qualifiers.

Good job on the Illinois location, Josh. Playing on a great collection softens the blow of getting destroyed by you pros.

#31 4 years ago

WI host is also competiting (top qualifier) and I think he deserves any advantage he gets since he is imviting us all into his home.

I actually find that often hosting and playing is very tough.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I'm sure most people in this thread are aware of the handy state registration list link, but it can't hurt to post it.
    http://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/scs/state_registration.php
    Unfortunately, we only have 10 people committed to playing here in VT. We probably won't be adding any, but you never know. On the plus side, that's 10 more people than VT had last year.

How do these cut lines and attendees work in Canada, I am in top 25 in British Columbia but can't tell who got invites...

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from bcrage88:

How do these cut lines and attendees work in Canada, I am in top 25 in British Columbia but can't tell who got invites...

Welcome to the IFPA Canada PCS Registration Page!
    http://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/scs/province_registration.php

For the canucks.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Welcome to the IFPA Canada PCS Registration Page!
    http://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/scs/province_registration.php
    For the canucks.

Awesome thanks

#35 4 years ago

When will the lineups be set? I'm seeing that 2 of the top 16 in AZ are playing elsewhere, and only that #17 has accepted. I'm curious how deep the invites went.

Quoted from Whysnow:

WI host is also competiting (top qualifier) and I think he deserves any advantage he gets since he is imviting us all into his home.

I agree. I hosted a league day and a full point event this year. Next time around I will have much more sorted out ahead of time. The day-of logistics are insane. League day, which I also run, I got to warmup with a single game on a single machine in the 1 hour warm-up time. I typically get ~45 minutes as the rest of the time is spent setting up the computer to run the event. It was still fun though, even if I played poorly on machines I should have done much better on.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Oh, there's very little home field advantage here.. he's lost tournaments several times at his place. That's a total non-issue for me for it to be at a participant's place, but I guarantee if things so south it will be bitched about lol. The issues are focusing around two specific games. Personally, I'm just like if it wasn't enough of an issue for INDISC to use Whitewater twice in their finals, it's good enough for us. No Good Gofers.. I'm not sure how prevalent the Cart Attack bug is, but that's what's being discussed.

Totally agree it's like a reverse mind-job to host and play. You're so concerned with everything working well it's hard to block out that "overbearing parent" mentality and focus on the task at hand.

#37 4 years ago

NGG is not really a competitive bug is it? It is not random if in tourney mode, so to me it is just pinball. If your strategy is to bash the cart then go for it. You still have to have the skill to do it.

#38 4 years ago

I founded, host and play in an all Classics league (anything 1971 - 1985). It is a bunch of extra stress and pressure to add to the pressure of competition that's for sure.

We play at 4 different collectors houses every 2 weeks for 5 sessions then a Finals back at my place where I mix it up and put up a few different titles than we have played all season. We typically play on 40+ different classic titles. We play on 6 titles each session. Games on these classics go quick. No epic games like the newer stuff. Typically 1.5 hrs per session is all we need. But people hang around a bit longer afterward for a beer and more pinball. It's been a blast hosting!

There was some thought to submit our league for IFPA points as when our league was founded a year or so ago, I opened up to first come first served for 16 people max. We got our 16 people and most have re-upped each time. When a few fall by the way side, I open it up again on the local pinball newsgroups.

So I guess the only thing preventing us from getting IFPA points is lack of a web site as it looks as if the other criteria has been met.

Dave (Doc)
    N.E. Classic Pinball League Director

Quoted from Whysnow:

#39 4 years ago

Tournament Issues: No Good Gofers has several bugs that make the game a poor competitive choice. Examples include but are not limited to: Free lock award can cause problems during subsequent multiballs after a player has scored a super jackpot. Bud will sometimes block the ramp during ripoff. Quick Jackpot award from the wheel does not always score correctly. Cart Attack scoring can become unbalanced and score 50m.

Setup Notes: A full plunge from the shooter lane should send the ball up the side ramp.

(Taken from Papa's Tourney game setup and notes page)

#40 4 years ago

The players in NJ are so talented there is no such thing as home advantage, I host Leagues and tournaments at my place (Pinsanity) , I have never won any main tournament or even gotten into the top 4 besides our league. Any advantage I feel gets negated by the stress of making sure things run right, machines are being fixed and tuned before and during the tournament, computers are working etc. Some of the top guys in the world play here - there are no easy wins, just a lot of respect.

Some fun stats I just looked up for NJ.

28 - number of tournaments in NJ
    132 - total players to qualify
    307 - Top 16 avg World Rank
    19 - Highest ranked player playing in NJ (steve bowen)
    894 - Lowest ranked player playing in NJ

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

I founded, host and play in an all Classics league (anything 1971 - 1985). It is a bunch of extra stress and pressure to add to the pressure of competition that's for sure.
    We play at 4 different collectors houses every 2 weeks for 5 sessions then a Finals back at my place where I mix it up and put up a few different titles than we have played all season. We typically play on 40+ different classic titles. We play on 6 titles each session. Games on these classics go quick. No epic games like the newer stuff. Typically 1.5 hrs per session is all we need. But people hang around a bit longer afterward for a beer and more pinball. It's been a blast hosting!
    There was some thought to submit our league for IFPA points as when our league was founded a year or so ago, I opened up to first come first served for 16 people max. We got our 16 people and most have re-upped each time. When a few fall by the way side, I open it up again on the local pinball newsgroups.
    So I guess the only thing preventing us from getting IFPA points is lack of a web site as it looks as if the other criteria has been met.
    Dave (Doc)N.E. Classic Pinball League Director

Dude, set up a site. It's absolutely worth it if you guys want IFPA credit for what you are doing. If it's just for fun, no worries, but if there is IFPA interest, the site is not a huge hurdle. I did mine for the Tucson league for free on Wordpress. Doing a web site is something I've always wanted to do, just to see how it's done. This gave me a very good reason. Nothing fancy is needed, but you can do what you want. I think the only thing you have to have is a rules page. TPL (Tucson) borrowed heavily from APPL (Phoenix, with at least a 7 year head start to figure out what works better in most cases) when it came to the rules page. That's what Josh told me in the beginning. Find an existing league that uses a similar format and see how they run things.

Trust me, everything is fluid. Some ideas were so poor that I emailed the league members and said "I did this thinking one way, and we are getting a lot of unintended consequences from it such as 1, 2, 3... Would anyone object to changing this rule/method to..." At that point, most players were aware of what was causing the headache and had no issues.

Major things like scoring methods, we waited until the end of the year. After the last event we sat around and had an open table to talk about a few things. A few minor tweaks later and we are off and running in the new year. The group is really good though, which is the best part.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Thanks Hilton. I appreciate that.
    I have 30 games to clean, wax, go through and get ready.
    The good news is I'm hosting league night on Saturday so I hoping any problems come apparent that night and not on tournament day.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

NGG is not really a competitive bug is it? It is not random if in tourney mode, so to me it is just pinball. If your strategy is to bash the cart then go for it. You still have to have the skill to do it.

I've been told that it is causes 50-100 million point cart awards. Is that award random, or does it take X times every time?

Marcus

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Tournament Issues: No Good Gofers has several bugs that make the game a poor competitive choice. Examples include but are not limited to: Free lock award can cause problems during subsequent multiballs after a player has scored a super jackpot. Bud will sometimes block the ramp during ripoff. Quick Jackpot award from the wheel does not always score correctly. Cart Attack scoring can become unbalanced and score 50m.
    Setup Notes: A full plunge from the shooter lane should send the ball up the side ramp.
    (Taken from Papa's Tourney game setup and notes page)

Is there a comprehensive explanation of all the bugs for NGG available online anywhere?

Marcus

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

And several Illinois players are also filling up slots in the Indiana tournament.

Yeah... boo.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Is there a comprehensive explanation of all the bugs for NGG available online anywhere?
    Marcus

I've been trying to find them all...not much luck. =-\

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

Dave (Doc)
    N.E. Classic Pinball League Director

Just set up a Facebook page for the league/event and make it public so you don't need a Facebook account to view it. Takes 5 minutes and it is a great way to keep everyone informed and drum up more interest.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Marcus

You could search RGP for details, but other than the PAPA notes, that's about it. He left out the bottom line:

"Reasonable Competition Game: No – Software Bugs"

http://papa.org/learning-center/director-resources/directors/game-notes/

Shouldn't be used in tournament play. Great game to play for fun, terrible tourney game. Much like WH2O.

#49 4 years ago

I'd better find three more games before February 7!

#50 4 years ago

I'm hosting the KY SCS at my home this year. They were held at the KY state reps house last year in KY, and only 9 of the 16 were able to make it. He lives in a fairly remote location in KY and the weather last year didn't cooperate very well. He and I talked this year and he felt that having it here was a better scenario as far as location for us to fill the 16 spots even though I am in Ohio.

Quoted from limelime20:

Wow, can't find a place in either state with at least 5 pins to play?
    Maybe someone in those state's can chime in...I find it hard to believe.,
    but could it be??

It was at his house last year, and he had plenty of games. There are a couple locations in KY that could possibly host, but the timing wasn't right this year for it to work out. Hopefully next year they will be ready and KY SCS will be held in KY. I'm east of Cincinnati and the general area is usually referred to as Greater Cincinnati Northern KY, so I'm not that far over the border. The only people that participated in KY SCS last year that are returning this year commented that it is actually closer for them to come to my house than it is to go to the place it was held last year.

Quoted from Spraynard:

There are only about 3 events for people in KY to qualify. One of them is the Louisville Arcade Expo in March. They have the main and classics tourney, but this is also a PAPA circuit event, so that means that everybody and their brothers come there to get qualified for the PAPA circuit finals. It was so crowded last year, that several of us put in one ticket, and then went and did other things at the show. The tourney is not our main reason for attending, we enjoy it but not spending hours attempting to qualify or actually waiting in line to try to qualify. That is mainly the reason we had to go so deep to fill the 16 spots.

Quoted from sleethering:

You're right, there are lots of good players here! Some of them are very underrated because they don't travel or play in many ranked events.
    I found it interesting that the #1 qualified player in Ohio has chosen to play in Kentucky. It will definitely make it feel like less of an "Ohio Championship" without having to compete against the top player in the state.

Yes there are alot of good players in Ohio. Unfortunately the amount of qualifying opportunities varies significantly across the state (look at the # of events participated in on the Ohio qualifying page). There are many chances to earn points in Northern Ohio, lots of locations and leagues. Which is great nothing wrong with that, most of the qualifiers last year were from that area. Now this year there were more qualifiers from central Ohio which is starting to have more locations and opportunities. Unfortunately here in southern Ohio there aren't many opportunities to earn points. We have an annual league with 30 people in it, and we tried to have a couple other events this year but still not many opportunities. We play at league members homes because of lack of locations. So far the only person from southern Ohio that has qualified last year and this year was the person that won our league, and this year he still had to travel a bit to earn more points to qualify.
    I was qualified last year in Ohio, but I chose to play in KY due to travel time. It was a 5 hour drive for me to go to the Cleveland area for the Ohio SCS. It was a 3 hour drive to KY and my husband was also qualified there so we chose to go to the KY SCS. This year they are holding the Ohio SCS in Columbus which is a much more central location for Ohio. I think this is a better choice, I know it is not possible in all states but the SCS should be held in as central a location as possible.
    Ky will probably have more players from out of state than anywhere, including the #1 player from Ohio. We will have players not only from KY, but also OH, MI, IL, and PA. I think the location this year helped make that possible as well as filling the 16 player field, we have more than 16 planning on attending in case someone can't make it. So I think this year is shaping up to be challenging and fun!

I know that it is not an ideal situation to have the KY SCS not held in KY, but we are just helping out this year. Hopefully with the way pinball, and the state championship series has grown it will lead to more locations for the championships to be held. Hopefully next years KY SCS will be able to be held in KY.

Phoebe

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 16.95
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 89.99
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    There are 642 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside