(Topic ID: 35903)

If you're thinking about buying Avengers - DON'T!

By Eskaybee

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by DrJoe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nut.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 11 years ago

You are quite the ambassador of the game. I actually was wondering afterward whether Dan would enjoy Avengers over Tron! You almost had another convert...

Quoted from DCFAN:

Mean Green Giant!

When I read what you wrote, I immediately recalled Gene, Gene the Dancing Machine from the Gong Show!

Dan

#52 11 years ago

I think Avengers trumps Tron, TFLE and Xmen easily. This really has it all. I even fear it may be a better overall game than XXXX. I can't say it, I just can't.

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I think Avengers trumps Tron, TFLE and Xmen easily. This really has it all. I even fear it may be a better overall game than XXXX. I can't say it, I just can't.

But you didn't say ACDC

#54 11 years ago

Shit! I read the headline and immediately called my distributor to cancel my order. Guess I should have read the whole thread first.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Say it, you'll feel better.

#56 11 years ago

Keep it on factory settings and see how long it takes to crack the high score.
I'm 200 games in....no luck. No closing out lanes or 5ball.
Have fun with the Green monster.

#57 11 years ago

Congrats !

The wrench with your little boy is classic.

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Of all the games you mention including 4X, only TRON impressed me as having long-term staying power. Everyone is enamoured with ALE right now, and rightly so. But time will tell. I was impressed for sure.

I understand you are slowly going over to the dark side. First, MB. Next, AFM. Digging MB, I bet.

Dan

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Lol... A lot of people who bought one want to say it. But we're all afraid to...

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Keep it on factory settings and see how long it takes to crack the high score.
I'm 200 games in....no luck. No closing out lanes or 5ball.
Have fun with the Green monster.

My score in the original post was factory out of the box. Probably my 20th game in. Could have gotten mini wiz mode but didn't know the rules.

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It looks like a family picture...but Hulk is your wife.

What makes you think Hulk is the wife? JK Congrats on your new purchase. I wish someone in KC would buy one.

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

What makes you think Hulk is the wife?

No gay marriage in CA.

#63 11 years ago

Will his first words be "dada" or "sweet flip Pops"?

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

wawonyu said:

Say it, you'll feel better.

Awesome game no question but not better than AC/DC, I said it.

#65 11 years ago

so far acdc prem is our fav here
we have a lot kids in the man cave (13-16 yrs old)
avengers is tuf and most walk away from it after a couple plays
but acdc goes all the time, the music is cool
but spidey black and tron le arrive next week
should be interesting

avengers simply doesn't have the flow of acdc
the ball goes into hulk and gets stuck and slowly trickles out
it's an extremely fast game, if u nod off, u're toast
bad shots come back at you like a rocket, much faster than acdc

hitting the ramps is getting easier
starting to hit widow and hawkeye at about a 40% rate and climbing
at first, it was .05%, ha

it showed up with issues (talked about here)...the plunger, the ball jumping the rubber band and falling down into the wiring, ball sticks behind hulks right hand, etc...all can be overcome except the ball sticking behind hulk's hand which sometimes ends your game. is there a fix??

the ball rolls totally differently on avengers than acdc. it doesn't arc smoothly across the board, it falls/drops....this may be a total noob comment, but it feels cheaper. Is there a different pitch angle? i have no idea, but acdc feels better, smoother, more expensive if that makes any sense.

the audio is fine on avengers, nothing amazing...acdc is fantastic. engaging comments from the 'devil' ha, killer music.

not meaning to rain on anybody's parade because i'd buy avengers LE again, it's unique. Hitting the ramps in succession is an addictive feel...like u really accomplished something. Then u walk over to acdc and hitting the ramps becomes simple, scores go up there.

just this noob's opinion, but in the long run, avengers is a machine you can grow into, always learning.

#66 11 years ago

ACDC layout same crap been there done that;
avengers wow way different and avengers is pretty damn fast too

#67 11 years ago

I think that's a fair review 35mm. I think that's the same reason my guests don't like xmen and I love it. I can nail the shots in that game all day but guests just can't grasp the feel, so they play TFLE and ACDC.

As for avengers, I made the washer(s) fix to the black widow ramp tonight. Huge difference! I was nailing widow back to back (har har) and actually completed her with ease tonight. Eventually made it to ATH mini wiz mode. There's a big learning curve for avengers, both in strategy and shot placement.

The only thing I don't like about the game so far is the Loki lock placement obstructing IM and the shield shot. I haven't attempted moving him like others have yet; plan on that this weekend. The inland obstruction is starting to irk me a little but not a deal breaker.

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

I understand you are slowly going over to the dark side. First, MB. Next, AFM. Digging MB, I bet.

LOL, the dark side...or as Gomez said in the JM promo vid, B-W: the Harvard of pinball.

I do dig my Sterns though.

Congrats on the game OP...looks very cool (despite the help nodding off).

#69 11 years ago

Pitch, balance and level can make a sturdy machine feel cheap and vice versa. I changed the positions of some pins and they don't play as smooth until I checked everything.

#70 11 years ago

Leveled right really matters on this game

#71 11 years ago

My Avengers LE should arrive today, although I probably won't have it setup until Sunday. Crossing my fingers for no damage. Shippers make me nervous.

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I even fear it may be a better overall game than XXXX. I can't say it, I just can't.

Popular opinion looms over us once again.

Other opinions:

I hate playing Creature from the Black Lagoon.

I've never had fun playing Addams Family.

Firefly is not that great of a show.

Joss Whedon has an undeserved reputation.

Zombie apocalypses don't make for interesting entertainment.

Elvira is not that hot.

Wolverine and Magneto aren't big enough toys.

The game designers at Stern are way better than the ones at Williams were.

Kurt Cobain ruined music.

Nirvana is not a good band.

Tool is not similar to Pink Floyd.

If the ACDC game was themed around Pink Floyd, it'd be at least 57.524x's better.

ACDC is not a good band.

ACDC probably doesn't know the difference between AC and DC.

This post won't put me on anyone's shit list.

#73 11 years ago

Your reasoning in posting that list may simply be lost on me, but I flat don't get it. Your point?

#74 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Your reasoning in posting that list may simply be lost on me, but I flat don't get it. Your point?

It might be that we all may hold to an element of bowing to the pressure of popular opinion including, and maybe especilly, a resistence to change ones that we have held so dear so (or maybe even too) long.

Everyone knows how much Hwawonyu loves AC/DC. He is being challenged in his thinking and opinions by his new Avengers as to what the apex of his pin pyramid is and is honestly letting everyone know that. He is not being demeaned or criticized in the post; it's an example.

I do not think that IckinItWit is saying that the above list are examples of what he thinks, but hard and fast opinions he has seen expressed here on pinside and the culture, that if people didn't define themselves so rigidly, they would feel the freedom to change their thinking and maybe expand their enjoyment by including new things or dropping the old allowing for room for the new.

For example, I have said many times how Creech is my favorite game and defended its qualities often, what if I start getting bored with it? Do I allow myself to change or do I fight to maintain a long held belief?

That's my guess.

Dan

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from IckinItwit:

Popular opinion looms over us once again.
Other opinions:
Elvira is not that hot.
If the ACDC game was themed around Pink Floyd, it'd be at least 57.524x's better.
ACDC is not a good band.

???....

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

It might be that we all may hold to an element of bowing to the pressure of popular opinion including, and maybe especilly, a resistence to change ones that we have held so dear do long.
Everyone knows how much Hwawonyu loves AC/DC. He is being challenged in his thinking and opinions by his new Avengers as to what the apex of his pin pyramid is. He is not being demeaned or criticized in the post; it's an example.
I do not think that IckinItWit is saying that the above list are examples of what he thinks, but hard and fast opinions he has seen expressed here on pinside and the culture, that if people didn't define themselves so rigidly, they would feel the freedom to change their thinking.
For example, I have said many times how Creech is my favorite game and defended its qualities often, what if I start getting bored with it? Do I allow myself to change or do I fight to maintain a long held belief?
That's my guess.
Dan

This is exactly what I read into his post as well, and I thought it was hilarious (even though I certainly don't agree with all the opinions in it, which is actually part of the point).

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This is exactly what I read into his post as well, and I thought it was hilarious (even though I certainly don't agree with all the opinions in it, which is actually part of the point).

Rob:

It's good to know I am not alone in how I read it. Now we are a gang of two or three including IckyWickyJabberWocky.

Even Hwawonyu thumbed up the interpretation, and we all know reluctant he is to raise his voice in opposition!

What we have here is pinside's version of the Rorschah test. New members must read IWJWs post and submit an interpretation for approval.

Rorschah--Man, "The Watchmen" would have made a great pin.

Dan

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Rorschah--Man, "The Watchmen" would have made a great pin.

Yes! +1

#80 11 years ago

Holding out for a while until it becomes more clear if Avengers has the staying power of ACDC.

Besides I am not getting anything Stern until they sort XM code out. Did I say that already?

#81 11 years ago

<<...I am not getting anything Stern until they sort XM code out>>

I thought XM already got a code update a month or so ago? Did Stern admit that it was awful and they are going to try a 3rd time? Otherwise, I'm confused what XM owners are hinting at when they say such things. Just because the update was not up to par, doesn't automatically guarantee they are making it right--for all we know Stern might think it was an epic power-pak and they are done.

#82 11 years ago
Quoted from NashBridgezz:

<<...I am not getting anything Stern until they sort XM code out>>
I thought XM already got a code update a month or so ago? Did Stern admit that it was awful and they are going to try a 3rd time? Otherwise, I'm confused what XM owners are hinting at when they say such things. Just because the update was not up to par, doesn't automatically guarantee they are making it right--for all we know Stern might think it was an epic power-pak and they are done.

From John borgs Facebook page:
"There is a lot more coming. Didn't get to do half of what we started."

#83 11 years ago
Quoted from IckinItwit:

Other opinions:

Elvira is not that hot.

ACDC is not a good band.

It might be time to put that crack pipe down!!

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Can only buy 1 more. Just bought AC/DC BIBLE,XM Magneto,& WOZLE. Only have enough for 1 more NIB then I'm done.

Shit can the Magneto, and buy both, you will be happier for it...

Both are outstanding fun, and very satisfying....

#85 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

This is something that Borg or Stern should never be saying to us...

After taking our money and giving us machines that arent worth a wet squirt of shit...

Everything they intended to do shoulda been "for the most Part" done before these mess's went into the box.

poor planning and greed went into the XM release...

Stern really disappointed on XM ! hope they make it right for you guys that still own it..

"In this decade"

#86 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

After taking our money and giving us machines that arent worth a wet squirt of shit...

#87 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Your shits are worth more than $5K? That's impressive.

#88 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Stern really disappointed on XM ! hope they make it right for you guys that still own it..

I own an Xmen and even though this code update was sloppy - I still enjoy Xmen. I've come to realize I prefer mode games. XMen has so many modes and the new code release when tweaked is actually not bad. Storm's mode with lighting is excellent. I also enjoy the shots on this game as they are tight but improve your skills greatly. Borg really designed a nice layout. Tons of modes, nice lighting and sound package - just needs some adjustment and Wolvy a bit smaller.

Quoted from MrWizzo:

Ok I'll go first and fall on my own sword. I just bought an Avengers pinball machine. And..wait for it...it is a Hulk LE. This, after I strongly argued that an Avengers pin should represent all Avengers not just the Hulk. Then after playing a few LEs and newer code with Hulk so prominent - I decided it was more of a Hulk and the Avengers game. Also, with Wolverine LE in my collection I thought too much blue and might as well put Hulk next to Wolvy instead of Avengers blue. I changed my belief. There ya go.

#89 11 years ago

I have taken some museum quality ones as of late...

I will try and post some pics in the weeks to follow

#90 11 years ago

I've always thought that when a new game comes out it it will have flow similar to an old game. You know that pretty much every ramp placement/flow idea has been done. Avengers proved me wrong. Very innovative!

#91 11 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Can only buy 1 more. Just bought AC/DC BIBLE,XM Magneto,& WOZLE. Only have enough for 1 more NIB then I'm done.

Sounds like you need to get rid of WOZ and Xmen...

Seriously I have played Woz and Xmen and I would totally take a Hulk instead. By the way 209 Million?!?! You should have seen my buddy Derek and I waffling around tonight and not coming anywhere close to that!

#92 11 years ago

I'm Really glad everyone is enjoying the Avengers LE games, I told you guys when I sneak played it that it was AWESOME!

#93 11 years ago
Quoted from Joshmx19:

By the way 209 Million?!?! You should have seen my buddy Derek and I waffling around tonight and not coming anywhere close to that!

I have no idea how I did it. It was like my 20th time ever playing. Surprised I didn't get to the mini wiz mode that game even after completing 3 avengers. I never collected ironman that game.

Since then, haven't come too close; but I did get to the mini wiz mode finally. What a blast. Think my score was around a 100mil. Now that I think about it, the 200mil game involved a 47mil bonus with a shield hold bonus (and hold multiplier) so I got another 50mil bonus.

Quoted from Gexchange:

I'm Really glad everyone is enjoying the Avengers LE games, I told you guys when I sneak played it that it was AWESOME!

Yes, it is awesome! Glad I got one. Had some kickin games tonight and heard some new quotes I haven't heard before too!

#94 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I really hope so.

I can 'just' put up with all the hassle IF eventually it is sorted out. Shouldn't of happened but if they complete XM and make it what it should be, time will erase all the troubles and it could become a well respected game.

#95 11 years ago

I am loving my avengers so far. The more the game kicks my ass the better I have been playing on all the other games in my house. I think it is making me a better shooter!!

I was able to backhand the widow ramp all the way but only once. Had to hit just perfect to have enough speed to make it all the way. Should have moved the spinner over to the iron man lane

The ball getting stuck up on hulk surprisingly hasn't happened to me much at all, not nearly as bad as I feared. However last few games I've played I've ball fall off the hawkeye ramp at least once a game.

Cant believe someone hit 200+ mil. I haven't even come close to 50 yet lol.

#96 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I really hope so.
I can 'just' put up with all the hassle IF eventually it is sorted out. Shouldn't of happened but if they complete XM and make it what it should be, time will erase all the troubles and it could become a well respected game.

Agreed. I played xmen last night and, code aside, the game really is awesome. I hope it's getting all the focus right now in the programming dept cause the code really is a mess out of all their games.

#97 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

How pitiful is that? Why the hell didn't they get to do half of what they started? ?

#98 11 years ago
Quoted from NashBridgezz:

They know it's f'd up. They do not by any means believe it's epic. They're working on it. More updates coming. TF, too.

#99 11 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

MAN,I want to pull the trigger on a Hulk,but I really want Metallica LE if its for real!!

It's confirmed and since the person who told me posts on here I would rather not say who it is. However, 100% of what he has said in the past has been spot on.

That being said, no more speculation for me. I'm sure Metallica could be one hell of a game but I'll wait to see what the reviews are before I buy. Just like I did with Hulk.

#100 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They know it's f'd up. They do not by any means believe it's epic. They're working on it. More updates coming.

I spoke to Borg at Expo briefly about Xmen code at that time. He knows the code needed work then. From my very brief discussion and body language, Borg understands and agrees with gaps.

My opinion is part is timing on Stern releasing games. The other part is they are grooming programmers and this comes with that process. New guys did a nice job - some really solid ideas in there, but like any job it takes mentorship and time to hone your skills and deliver polished product. I think Xmen is the learning pin for them. Great to hear adjustments still being committed to.

Not to blame anyone, but if Lonnie is the mentor he really needs to step it up. XMen Xmas code should have been sent out in hard mode as default. That is lead programmer responsibility. He has too many years under his belt to be that sloppy. I'm hopeful Lonnie will kick it into high gear with the kids on next one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
White Oak, PA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-youre-thinking-about-buying-avengers-dont/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.