Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Strange
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tilting trying.jpg
    p597932583-5.jpg
    img_3480.jpg
    img_3355.jpg
    tilt.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Tips for players learning to nudge--and preferably not tilt--to improve their game: http://howdoipinball.com/2015/06/01/if-youre-not-tilting-youre-not-trying/

tilt.jpgtilt.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Whoa whoa whoa...tilting is a very controversial topic to a lot of the diaper rubbers round these parts!

#3 8 years ago

I get tilt warnings almost every game of TWD and tilt once every 5-10 games. I like nudging games, feels great to save a ball like that. Have caused a few drains like that too.

#4 8 years ago

After my thread about nudging:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-suck-at-nudging

I started to nudge regularly. I double danger my MET almost every single ball. One of these days, I'll learn how to save an outlane drain, ha.

#5 8 years ago

I'm gonna have to get the "Fraxquake" (I didn't coin this term..) on video at some point. I'm sure someone will be horrified.

#6 8 years ago

I like games that end with a tilt. You learn just how much nudging it will take or how long you need to let the bob settle before your next nudge. Two player games with two tilt lights that end the game only for the player that tilted are twice as much fun.

#7 8 years ago

I just got done playing pinball with a friend (pinball noob) for a whole weekend. We went to a handful of different locations to play in Lexington, KY and played for hours each day. After watching me play for a while, he really started to try and nudge more. Although he seemed to pick up when to nudge, he was also nudging a lot when there was no need, and nudging too rough and tilting a lot. I basically told him what was mentioned above, "You are making a lot of good nudges, but also a lot of bad ones." haha. By the end of the weekend, he was making some great saves, and rarely tilting. The thing he picked up almost instantly was which way to nudge to get the ball movement he desired. This took forever for me. I think it's safe to say, he is now fully addicted, haha.

#8 8 years ago

I love the callouts some games have for warnings and tilts. I tilted Star Trek over the weekend and the klingon voice tells me to kiss my bonus goodbye. It's frustrating to tilt but I can't help to lighten up when I hear callouts like that. Good fun.

#9 8 years ago

I have to force people art my house to nudge machines....that might be a good thing, but its part of the game damn it!

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I love the callouts some games have for warnings and tilts. I tilted Star Trek over the weekend and the klingon voice tells me to kiss my bonus goodbye. It's frustrating to tilt but I can't help to lighten up when I hear callouts like that. Good fun.

"Cheating makes baby Jesus cry!" makes me giggle every time.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah, the quotes on ST are great after the last two updates. "You DARE to shake the Klingon empire?!"

#12 8 years ago

sttng: you are without honor! I normally hear that bout 1:4 games lol it's the only way to get outta those outlanes..

#13 8 years ago

I hate when tilts are super sensitive. I play with my hands on the top and fingers on the side and sometimes thrust forward when hitting the flippers. I have tried to play different as some suggested but prefer a little give in the games when playing in tournaments.

#14 8 years ago

Nudging to the point of near tilt is what separates the novices from the pros.
    Knowing at what point the ball is going to head down the middle or towards the outlanes
    and nudging in a specific well -timed direction to counter, is how high scores are obtained.
    Combine this with well placed shots and patience and you have a winner!
    I know, easier said than done.........

#15 8 years ago

You still think you can control the game with brute force?

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jappie:

You still think you can control the game with brute force?

Sure, slide saves are brute force, and they work.

#17 8 years ago

The Colonel in Avatar "Quit shakin' my game".

I used to autocross for many years. I always said if your not hitting some cones every now and then, you're not pushing hard enough. Same thing with pinball. Getting good at getting dangers without tilting will take you to new levels.

img_3355.jpgimg_3355.jpg img_3480.jpgimg_3480.jpg p597932583-5.jpgp597932583-5.jpg
    #18 8 years ago

I was never a nudger until I bought my TWD.

The outlanes are so bad I started nudging out of frustration, and have turned into art.

#19 8 years ago

Sometimes I tilt my DM just for fun. Only because it has the swear ROMs and you get to hear Wesley Snips say "F*ck you...Punk A$$ Mother Fu*cker!".

#20 8 years ago

Definitely words to live by.tilting trying.jpgtilting trying.jpg

#21 8 years ago

I can't tell you how much your article improved my game. After reading it, I realized I hardly ever move the machine! (No wonder I'm at the bottom of C division.) Anyway, I practiced a bit after reading your article and made it a point to move the machine around as much as it would allow. It opens a whole new way of manipulating the ball. I repeat "If you're not tilting, you're not trying" in my head before I launch the ball. It's a nice little reminder that it's ok to nudge. Nice work, and thanks for the tip. My scores doubled last night!

#22 8 years ago

Protip if you're playing at Replay next month:

If the machine is a 'tilt ends game', don't don't don't unless you're on ball 5. I saw someone tilt ball one once, and the look on his face was just utter defeat.

#23 8 years ago

Yeah, if it's "tilt ends game", most if not all those games have no bonus. So if it's on the way out on your last ball you have nothing to lose. It's great if you get some warm up on a game like this. But if you don't, you have to assume it has a feather light tilt.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

I can't tell you how much your article improved my game. After reading it, I realized I hardly ever move the machine! (No wonder I'm at the bottom of C division.) Anyway, I practiced a bit after reading your article and made it a point to move the machine around as much as it would allow. It opens a whole new way of manipulating the ball. I repeat "If you're not tilting, you're not trying" in my head before I launch the ball. It's a nice little reminder that it's ok to nudge. Nice work, and thanks for the tip. My scores doubled last night!

Glad to hear you liked the post and it helped!

Earlier this year, I was in a slump when it came to my tournament performance. One thing that I noticed is that I was "casually" playing the machines in my collection, rather than really practicing, as if I was in a tournament. One of the negative effects of being so casual, was that I wasn't moving my machines around like I normally would in a tournament setting. This then became a habit and my performance dropped. Once I realized this, and started moving the machines like I used to, I started placing again in tournaments.

Hope that helps.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Cool. Family Guy is like that too...you nudge too much and Peter says, "Hey--there's no need for that!" or something similar.

I have virtually no nudging skills. Who am I kidding--I got NO nudging skills! Gotta read these threads...

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Sure, slide saves are brute force, and they work.

My comment wasn't meant seriously. You probably never tilted The Shadow.

#27 8 years ago

All part of the game and up to the owner/operator to dictate what the player can get away with... I've played a lot of games in the wild with such easy tilt settings it made me wonder if the operator wanted their games to get beat to hell. Some games you can really get back from the dead with a good hard nudge - like Avaturd - if you are one shot away from starting Link multiball and you are draining you can nudge up hard enough to move the locked ball over the switch (on a game with an easy tilt) and start the multiball instead of ending the ball all together...

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jappie:

My comment wasn't meant seriously. You probably never tilted The Shadow.

Ha, yeah, played The Shadow a couple years ago, don't remember hearing that.

#29 8 years ago

Nudging and shaking are part of the game. Alot of people think it's cheating, but they usually have low scores..........

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinkid:

Nudging and shaking are part of the game. Alot of people think it's cheating, but they usually have low scores..........

And have no idea what they are talking about. If it was cheating, all tilt would be fixed at uber tight and all tilts would end your game.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Ha, yeah, played The Shadow a couple years ago, don't remember hearing that.

You must indeed be good at nudging then.

The tilt warning quotes of The Shadow are great as well. 'Hey! Stop it!' and 'Hey! Lay off!'

#32 8 years ago

Ha ha they used my little tilt bob video.

There's not a lot of good video out there for nudging. I did a quick and dirty one a few years ago for a seminar I did at PPE 2012.

I got an offer from a volunteer at PPE who does video production professionally to do a new one, so maybe we can do something a little nicer. And I have a star player who might be willing to help.

But if you want to check out some expert nudging, just watch the PAPA TV stuff. There's hundreds of hours of expert players showing off their stuff.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Ha ha they used my little tilt bob video.
    There's not a lot of good video out there for nudging. I did a quick and dirty one a few years ago for a seminar I did at PPE 2012.
    » YouTube video
    I got an offer from a volunteer at PPE who does video production professionally to do a new one, so maybe we can do something a little nicer. And I have a star player who might be willing to help.
    But if you want to check out some expert nudging, just watch the PAPA TV stuff. There's hundreds of hours of expert players showing off their stuff.

This is one of the better videos out there, because it's not live, it's edited, has commentary specifically about the nudging, and because it's done in slow motion. The typical competition or gameplay video typically misses most of the subtle nudges:
    - difficult to capture on camera at full speed.
    - requires the simultaneous camera of playfield and up-close camera of the player (but even subtle ones are missed because you have to be focused on two camera views at once).

The best way to learn nudging is playing in a multiplayer game with someone who is better at nudging than you are.

#34 8 years ago

I have my ems angled higher up than the standard, so that puts my tilt bobs at an angle and makes them ultra sensitive.

I wrapped tissue and tape all around them and that seemed to cure it. That's not cheating, right?

#35 8 years ago

If anyone wants to learn how to save a ball on the brink of tilting, watch some video of Will McKinney playing. At INDISC he double dangers more than anyone else. I just played against him twice in an event and in the 6 combined games we played (AFM and ACDC) he double dangered 4 times. Of those 4, he saved the ball 3 times. He's really good at going right up to the edge but not going over.

#36 8 years ago

I know Will and played against him, have to see at next tournament.

#37 8 years ago

It's very true, you must tilt a lot before you learn how to nudge. I don't nearly tilt enough, which is why my game sucks.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-youre-not-tilting-youre-not-trying and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.