(Topic ID: 174705)

If you're buying a $450 Hit the Deck today in Tulsa...

By Frax

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pos (resized).jpg
IMG_0871 (resized).JPG
IMG_0870 (resized).JPG
IMG_0869 (resized).JPG
BD (resized).jpg
YahooDelerious (resized).jpg
tumblr_m804bgW3w41rawb5do1_400 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You had to know that wasn't gonna work.
It's been like 15 years now. We all know the deal. If anything is underpriced on CL, your chances of getting it are very slim. If you can't pick it up almost immediately, don't hold your breath. If you are hours away, don't even bother. It ain't worth getting worked up about this - you had a "deal" to rip someone off and they got a better offer. You really expect someone not to take it?
After all these years people still refuse to accept that CL isn't some kind of utopian bazaar meant to fulfill our dreams and fantasies. It's nothing more than an online flea market that's just dollars and cents for most people.

I have a game waiting for me in Virginia that I offered the person their full (low) asking price for, and they've been holding it for me since Thanksgiving until I drive down there this weekend since I was first. I've met other sellers who do the same.

Not as much of a steal as a HTD, but still not a bad price for a game, or any game.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The only reason that is true is because it's probably 400 bucks on a Liberty Bell or something.

Not sure what you take me for. Speaking of Liberty Bell, my mint condition one was a mere $200 and the nice seller met me half way from Southern Maryland. Fun game too, if you're trying to trash it. DC bumpers and flippers are nice. Not everybody is a bad egg!

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If they had received 20 emails because it was a screaming deal on a rare game, they wouldn't be holding it for you.

Sure, but I appreciate the sentiment regardless, especially since they're the ones who brought it up. "Please let me know if it sells in the meantime" was met with "Don't worry, it's yours, I'll hold it for you since you were the first". I don't know if some people here would hold a game for 2 weeks at any price for some guy they don't know on Craigslist.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Obviously they wouldn't. Most people don't use CL as often as we do.
I don't mean to chastise you but I don't think I would ever ask a seller to hold something for me for 2 weeks. It just seems inconsiderate. If in two weeks the item is still there then I would call and ask to come get it.
Was the hold up on the seller's end? I have had that happen. The seller wanted to meet halfway while taking games to other people so I agreed but if I can't make arrangements to come within a week, I won't communicate with the seller.

The seller has a very tight schedule that I can't mesh with until that date and we were both busy for the holidays and the tear down from them. Works for me, works for him. Also lined it up (arranging the CL sale first, of course, I wasn't stringing him along for this) with picking up an empty cabinet in Virginia for my Star-Jet and staying at a good family friend's house down in Virginia for the night just to visit and also so I don't have to drive back the same day. I'm a happy camper!

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Otaku seems to take great pleasure in making all of his transactions as complicated and inconvinient as possible. See his infamous PBR thread!

and thankfully for you I'll never do business with you Good grief.

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

He's 19 remember!

Hey bro, I'm 18! Get it right! Looks like I haven't ingrained it into everybody's mind yet after all.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

I hope he knows we're just busting his balls.

I can tell, but there's one or two here who I feel like genuinely get angry over even some of my more subtle posts. Doesn't really bother me, just seems kind of sad on their part.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

For a kid on the internet, he seems to take some things too seriously.

I'm sure, sometimes. Sometimes you have to at least put up a little defense, especially so you don't let people walk all over you - while keeping your sanity, of course.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

That's how you know you've become a part of this community when people start giving you a hard time.

I... I've made it!

But in seriousness, the internet sure swings things sometimes for both the writer and the reader. I encourage anybody here who's gotten any bad light of me to shake my hand at show sometime so we can talk shop and meet. I'll still probably have a lot to say but it's usually just about the good sides of pinball like the rest of us enjoy! Actually, I'm decently quiet and subtle in person. I'm just here (and at shows) to enjoy the hobby like the rest of us. People take a lot of the things I say the wrong way, and yes, I can be a little hard-headed at times, but I like to think I'm not a bad person - especially if people who have the chance to meet me take the chance to do so. But overall I just try to keep helping out on threads and feel pretty decent about that - I've solved several people's issues on their machines single-handedly even just this week so I think I have 'payed my fee' for taking up all this posting memory in the site this month.

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

And lol...apparently I'm the only one that likes this game? Man..I thought it was more well-liked. Even some of my local guys telling me to relax because it's a MEH game! I guess that's one of the good things about EMs...there's something for everyone...not so much with modern games.

I like it! I thought it was pretty desirable too, and probably is. Perhaps a lot of people just don't agree with this specific occasion of events. I'm on your side though, I hate when sellers pull that unless it was before you made an agreement.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I find that hard to believe. We are both EM guys and we live 20 miles from each other. It's a small hobby!

Very true.

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Both situations give you the opportunity to profit from another person's mistake...

$7,000 is nice but if they were expecting $200 and had no clue about the value, I think they'd be pretty happy with $200 for something that has been sitting rotting in their basement for 40 years doing nothing. Sure, throw them some extra if you're financially inclined to do so, but I don't think anybody should feel obligated to give them retail pricing for it, that's ridiculous. Would they even do the same? There is still such think as a "score" and I don't think people should feel bad about it as long as they didn't blantantly lie or talk the seller down like on that show Pawn Stars (see later reference), seems like people who have their hearts in items really are not happy when they leave that place with $50 for something they even had valued at like $1,000 5 minutes earlier.

Quoted from metallik:

If you see someone at a gas station drop a $100 when they pull their wallet out, and you pick it up with no one realizing, do you give it back or pocket it?

You give it back because it was never possibly yours to begin with. It's not like you're getting the machine free, either, like you would the $100, you're still paying money for it.

You're basically saying everybody who does business is wrong. The stuffed animals in crane machines cost less in bulk than the money a kid spends at one trying to get just one and people have been doing that for years. Look at pawn shops. They give people pocket change for a lot of good stuff that they sell for 4x the price because the people selling are probably in need of dire amounts of money to feed their family or even more sad, feed their addiction(s). Hell, your $3 pack of chips at the grocery store even obviously has a decent profit on top of it, because that's how it has to be to make the world go 'round.

If a seller is asking for $200 or $300 or $400 for a Mermaid pinball machine they haven't touched in 40 years and gets their full asking price without an offer, they probably went to bed with a smile on their face, and that is where the "moral minimum" line should be drawn. Now, if you chastised people who went and offered them $150, you'd be on to something...

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

$7000 is not retail for a Mermaid, $10K plus is.
If the seller would be "pretty" happy with $200, what adjective would you use to describe them getting $7000?

Shocked, surprised.

Quoted from metallik:

In one instance, you've taken $100 from someone. In the other, you've taken $6800.

Look on the other side of things (give), in one instance, you've given somebody $0 (and stolen from them, legally [punishable] in some states, and legally [punishable] in all states, if they ask if you've seen it and you lie), and in the other, you've given them several hundred dollars. (and purchased a pinball machine)

To correct your own statement (take), you didn't take away $6,800, you took away an old pinball machine that they weren't using anymore. This is what they perceive it as, and in reality, that is actually what it is. Worth is highly subjective.

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The hell he won't. He sounded like he was about 70 or 80. Death....the ultimate karma balance.

w

t

f

#112 7 years ago

It's not dying, it's Hitting The Deck

#179 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i mange to always find another game to distract me from the one i lost / did not get

It's like spilling your beer can with a little left in the bottom and drinking an entire new can to compensate. It's drinking away your sorrows. I totally just did this (the pinball one) and is probably why I have so many games. "Ahh well I lost that one, better get find another and fast..."

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

We did talk to Frax and let him know who the scoundrel was (me). I offered to lend him the game until our TPF in March but he passed on it.
It is a pretty rough game, one corner of the cab has come apart, the leg bolt Ts are all stripped out and legs were held on by nuts. PF is seriously ball swirled and the red star inserts are broken as well as most of the lane dividers. This game sat out in the garage for the last 10 years and underwent a lot of temperature cycling, bg is pretty flaking in the lit areas. I found a dozen mud dauber nests inside. Locks were gone, head back held on with screws. pf plastics are are broken and warped. I should have bought that set on ebay 2 weeks ago... And the cab has got some paint loss to it, will need a repaint at some point. Serial number scratched out on the cab but still on the apron and top of head, go figure. It will need a lot of TLC.
Thanks Frax for being understanding.
Now to find a bg. It will look nice next to my Neptune.

Well, that certainly makes the situation a little more awkward. Glad you guys could talk it over.

Did you already know you had another person ahead of you or did you just go in and throw the offer out right away (seller's fault)? Probably just the seller's doing. If not, well, then, that's not up for me to judge. Craigslist buying and eBay bidding feels very impersonal considering every other potential buying is anonymous.

Ken (pinhead) is a great guy and I hope there are no hard feelings between you two. It's obviously a rugged situation but I'm sure another good buy will come your way Frax.

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Completely on the seller. Ken just made an offer based on the CL ad.
Had he known that Frax already had a deal in place, there is no way that Ken would have made a higher offer to steal the deal.
Marcus

This is what I figured as well and I would expect nothing but the same as you mentioned from Ken, but figured I would ask. All my few experiences with Ken (in person and through Pinside & sales through both) have been really good, so it seems unlikely that he would do that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-youre-buying-a-450-hit-the-deck-today-in-tulsa?tu=otaku and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.