(Topic ID: 174705)

If you're buying a $450 Hit the Deck today in Tulsa...

By Frax

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pos (resized).jpg
IMG_0871 (resized).JPG
IMG_0870 (resized).JPG
IMG_0869 (resized).JPG
BD (resized).jpg
YahooDelerious (resized).jpg
tumblr_m804bgW3w41rawb5do1_400 (resized).jpg
There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 7 years ago

I hope you f'ing choke on it, since you screwed me out of it and all....after the guy gave me a price, I agreed to it, had a time set to pick it up and all, made arrangements to do so. Dick.

tulsa.craigslist.org link

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I hope you f'ing choke on it, since you screwed me out of it and all....after the guy gave me a price, I agreed to it, had a time set to pick it up and all, made arrangements to do so. Dick.
tulsa.craigslist.org link

Ouch. Yeah, sucks when that happens. We can all text the seller and tell him he's a douche!

#3 7 years ago

Another Craig's list auction.

#4 7 years ago

I read your Facebook thread...I don't blame you for being pissed. Has happened to me twice....a Sing-a-long and a Surfer.

#5 7 years ago

Has happened to me three times. Every time with an Argosy...?

#6 7 years ago

Seems like you should be upset with the seller not the purchaser.

#7 7 years ago

( set a time to pick it up ). That's the reason you missed out on it. If I see a good deal pop up I call and tell them in ten minutes I can be headed their way with 100 dollar bills. Works every time. Ed

#8 7 years ago

Damn, I so would have been on this if I was still in the Tulsa area. But I don't have the craigslist lightning reflex down probably would have lost out too.

#9 7 years ago

sorry man, but the game plays great and the playfield looks like new.

#10 7 years ago

JK. I'm 21 hour drive from you. There is no way in hell i'd drive 21 hours for a $450 game.

Well, unless it was for a $450 mexico 86.

#11 7 years ago

I think everyone's had this happen to them. It's a little upsetting at first but then you realize there is more chicken in the sea. Another will come along. You did give me a good laugh though.

Quoted from Fast-Ed:

( set a time to pick it up ). That's the reason you missed out on it. If I see a good deal pop up I call and tell them in ten minutes I can be headed their way with 100 dollar bills. Works every time. Ed

Best advice. If there's any hint of flakiness on the seller, it's best to go right away.

#12 7 years ago

Yeah. That hurts. It has happened to me twice.

Once on CL.

And once on Pinside. The pinside seller is not aware that I know, but I know.

#13 7 years ago

Using pinside as a dumping ground for grievances that the offending party will likely never read just aint healthy.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

I call and tell them in ten minutes I can be headed their way with 100 dollar bills.

User name checks out, this man and his strategy are legit and work.

#15 7 years ago

There is no arrangement, only cash.

tumblr_m804bgW3w41rawb5do1_400 (resized).jpgtumblr_m804bgW3w41rawb5do1_400 (resized).jpg

TXT TERRY

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Using pinside as a dumping ground for grievances that the offending party will likely never read just aint healthy.

Good point. What's healthy on Pinside lately, did the clocks go back or something? Uptick in negativity by many in picking on posters for being anal, picky, opinionated, silly and that's just the EM forum.

You would think this is small hobby with a bunch of eccentrics the way we are behaving lately.

Soon be Xmas, and I will get some time to polish and count my 455 bulb collection nothing crazy about me.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Good point. What's healthy on Pinside lately, did the clocks go back or something? Uptick in negativity by many in picking on posters for being anal, picky, opinionated, silly and that's just the EM forum.
You would think this is small hobby with a bunch of eccentrics the way we are behaving lately.
Soon be Xmas, and I will get some time to polish and count my 455 bulb collection nothing crazy about me.

And I dont care what they say, Im not grounding my 60's GTB EM's

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Uptick in negativity by many in picking on posters

you are not picking on me steve are you?

#19 7 years ago

Sucks bro, been there but mine was done by my so called partner glad that douche got what he derserved and so will this seller/buyer.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

If I see a good deal pop up I call and tell them in ten minutes I can be headed their way with 100 dollar bills. Works every time.

Fast-Ed means it!
Seriously, if the deal is REALLY good, the kick-yourself kind, then I make sure to include speed. Also works with low-balling.
"I see you're asking $500... well $300 and it'll be in hand and out the door on the hour."
Usually works well, especially since most CL sellers want the $$$ ASAP.

#21 7 years ago

It's always the buyer's fault, isn't it? The seller sounds like a real stand up guy.

Sorry for your loss. Hope you get over it soon.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

you are not picking on me steve are you?

Ha Ha, no no no.

I was about to blast the mods at the weekend over something that is a pet peeve of mine, but the other voice told me to get a grip and not be a grump.

Seems to be the time of year.

#23 7 years ago

I wouldn't get bound up over it. The seller got educated and greedy and decided he isn't going to sell the game for $450. Happens all the time.

Would it have been nice to have gotten it for $450? Sure. Is it worth more than $450? I suspect we will all agree that to be the case.

Another game will come along at a fair price that will interest you. Good luck in your search.

#24 7 years ago

I might have offered $250.

#25 7 years ago

Rage against the machine

#26 7 years ago

Close this thread. Nothing but hate in here.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Close this thread. Nothing but hate in here.

Those are the threads that seem to last the longest on pinside.

#28 7 years ago

Bummer.

No wonder I rarely see a Hit the Deck come up for sale. There was only 375 made by Gottlieb back in 1978.
Wonder how many are still around? Don't believe I've ever played one of those.
The add-a-ball version was called Neptune, and there was only 270 of those produced, and 531 Poseidon (for export to Italy).
A lot of roll-over lanes and roll-over buttons on those machines. Decent artwork too.

#29 7 years ago

Happened to me a few years ago for a $600 Seawitch close to me that looked nice. I bowed out when I realized they switched to auctioning it after agreeing to a price with me. One of the hazards of CL. I know it stinks, but don't sweat it.

#30 7 years ago

A seller tried pulling that crap with me once, I was the first responder to his ad. I left immediately with the full asking price and drove 4 hours for the game, get there and he mentions interest, demand, lots of people calling offering more money, sentimental value & etc. I said no problem, I'm here now, it's not worth the increase in price, I offered $100 less at that point, flashed the cash, he hesitated, I said okay, fine, see you later, I didn't drive 4 hours to play games, I'll cut my losses on time and move on knowing I made the right decision. I went to walk out the door and he said okay, it's yours. The game is still here with me, and not leaving anytime soon. Were there other people offering more? Probably. First come, first served though.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

A seller tried pulling that crap with me once, I was the first responder to his ad. I left immediately with the full asking price and drove 4 hours for the game, get there and he mentions interest, demand, lots of people calling offering more money, sentimental value & etc. I said no problem, I'm here now, it's not worth the increase in price, I offered $100 less at that point, flashed the cash, he hesitated, I said okay, fine, see you later, I didn't drive 4 hours to play games, I'll cut my losses on time and move on knowing I made the right decision. I went to walk out the door and he said okay, it's yours. The game is still here with me, and not leaving anytime soon. Were there other people offering more? Probably. First come, first served though.

I find that tactic works very well especially if you happen to resemble Charles Manson!

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

Sometimes that just isn't possible. Yes, you should get there real zippy when it's a killer deal, but life just gets in the way sometimes.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's called "venting"!

#34 7 years ago

When I am selling I always tell people first come with cash gets it. No holds unless you are in route, I will hold for a couple hours. I don't blame the seller, he's not your friend, who knows if you would have shown up. I lost a few deals because I waited for arranged buyers. It's really both yours and his fault. He should have made you aware it was first come basis though. It's not yours until you see the sellers house in the rear view mirror.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Amateur.

That happened to me once, and I was so furious I demanded HE pay me money to take the game away. You should have seen him crumble. I left with the game and $300 cash and I still have both to this day!

#36 7 years ago

Hit the Deck sounds like a title that those damn EM guys have declared "awesome".

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Hit the Deck sounds like a title that those damn EM guys have declared "awesome".

It's not. It's just rare and has nice art.

I personally loathe the fake "digital" reels but for some that's part of the charm.

#38 7 years ago

Like c37, a looker not a player.

#39 7 years ago

I personally don't think it looks that great. It's an OK player. There must be some reason they only sold 375 of them.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I personally don't think it looks that great. It's an OK player. There must be some reason they only sold 375 of them.

Well, the biggest reason is that it was the end of 1978, and except for a handful of aged operators in distant lands nobody was interested in buying an EM pinball machine - single player or otherwise. It boggles the mind that Gottlieb was still bothering to produce these things. The game could have been better than El Dorado and it still wouldn't have sold dick.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

You can drive from Dallas to Tulsa in 10 minutes? DAAAAAAMN SON.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Amateur.
That happened to me once, and I was so furious I demanded HE pay me money to take the game away. You should have seen him crumble. I left with the game and $300 cash and I still have both to this day!

I hope someday I can pull this off.

The very first game I ever bought was Space Shuttle...old lady tried to do the same crap to me. I got on her case, had already paid to rent a uhaul trailer and gotten a hitch installed on my car...not cheap! She crumbled at that point and did the right thing and honored her word and price.

Anyways..I'm over it now. Moving on, just needed to vent. I still have other exciting pinball things happening and Final Fantasy XV comes out today. Not going to let this POS kill my weekend (this is my friday today).

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I wouldn't get bound up over it. The seller got educated and greedy and decided he isn't going to sell the game for $450. Happens all the time.
Would it have been nice to have gotten it for $450? Sure. Is it worth more than $450? I suspect we will all agree that to be the case.
Another game will come along at a fair price that will interest you. Good luck in your search.

Except the price he originally gave me and that we agreed to was 200, not 450.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Except the price he originally gave me and that we agreed to was 200, not 450.

You had to know that wasn't gonna work.

It's been like 15 years now. We all know the deal. If anything is underpriced on CL, your chances of getting it are very slim. If you can't pick it up almost immediately, don't hold your breath. If you are hours away, don't even bother. It ain't worth getting worked up about this - you had a "deal" to rip someone off and they got a better offer. You really expect someone not to take it?

After all these years people still refuse to accept that CL isn't some kind of utopian bazaar meant to fulfill our dreams and fantasies. It's nothing more than an online flea market that's just dollars and cents for most people.

#45 7 years ago

I really don't give a flying f--k man.

15 years? I've been in the hobby 5, so whatever.

How the hell can you rip someone off on a price THEY set and it wasn't haggled at all? DERP. 100 bucks (I counteroffered 350 and go get it immediately when he asked if I wanted to match his imaginary bird price) was worth more to him than having any kind of decency when he had already agreed to a deal. Karma will come around, and he'll get his.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well, the biggest reason is that it was the end of 1978, and except for a handful of aged operators in distant lands nobody was interested in buying an EM pinball machine - single player or otherwise. It boggles the mind that Gottlieb was still bothering to produce these things. The game could have been better than El Dorado and it still wouldn't have sold dick.

You are probably right. Same year they sold almost 10k SS Joker Pokers, and Bally, who was ahead in this department sold over 100k of their SS games.

#47 7 years ago

The ad says "make an offer"

You made an offer of $200

Someone else offered $450

He decided to take the $450. What's the big deal? Definitely not the buyer's fault. Did you offer to match the price?

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

The ad says "make an offer"

You made an offer of $200

I made no offer. I asked him if he had a ballpark price, that's what he said he wanted for it. Please don't tell people "what they did" when you have no damn idea.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

How the hell can you rip someone off on a price THEY set and it wasn't haggled at all? DERP.

You're not "ripping them off" so much as you're taking advantage of their ignorance. Some are OK with this ("5 minutes of googling and they would have known the true value!"). For me, deliberately withholding information to get something of value for a pittance isn't very nice, but others would disagree.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You had to know that wasn't gonna work.
It's been like 15 years now. We all know the deal. If anything is underpriced on CL, your chances of getting it are very slim. If you can't pick it up almost immediately, don't hold your breath. If you are hours away, don't even bother. It ain't worth getting worked up about this - you had a "deal" to rip someone off and they got a better offer. You really expect someone not to take it?
After all these years people still refuse to accept that CL isn't some kind of utopian bazaar meant to fulfill our dreams and fantasies. It's nothing more than an online flea market that's just dollars and cents for most people.

It seems OP just needed to vent.

We all know the deal. Lose a deal on CL, miss out on an ebay auction, stub your toe... come to pinside to let everyone here know your sorrows.

For the record, I would honor a deal with someone but I can't fault other people for wanting to get more money if someone offers. A lot of CL sellers are hard up for money so it makes sense.

There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-youre-buying-a-450-hit-the-deck-today-in-tulsa?hl=ryansherwood and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.