(Topic ID: 174705)

If you're buying a $450 Hit the Deck today in Tulsa...

By Frax

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 195 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pinball-is-great
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pos (resized).jpg
IMG_0871 (resized).JPG
IMG_0870 (resized).JPG
IMG_0869 (resized).JPG
BD (resized).jpg
YahooDelerious (resized).jpg
tumblr_m804bgW3w41rawb5do1_400 (resized).jpg

There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 2 years ago

If it's an item I really want that's supposedly already on hold for another person, I will offer $50 to $100 more and immediate pick up. The greed of a seller always over rides their allegiance to someone who claims they'll come buy the item soon.

Afterall, who here hasn't tried to sell an item on CL and have people promise to come and then never show up? You can't blame a seller for reneging on a deal for a more solid deal offering more money.

Cash is king. You want it, get your benjamins together, get in your truck and go NOW! Otherwise, it's MINE!

#152 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Now I want a hit the deck

I heard you can pick one up for $200.00!

#153 2 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

I heard you can pick one up for $200.00!

I just got one for $450 in Tulsa.

#154 2 years ago

...potato chips...

#155 2 years ago

Wow! Truly amazing how this thread blew up. I don't have time now, but I am looking forward to reading through it later.

#156 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

And lol...apparently I'm the only one that likes this game? Man..I thought it was more well-liked. Even some of my local guys telling me to relax because it's a MEH game! I guess that's one of the good things about EMs...there's something for everyone...not so much with modern games.

I find it to be a great game. recently picked one up in Tulsa, only a couple of hundred dollars
playfield is great, no fading on the backglass

:p

#157 2 years ago

Everyone's a comedian.

#158 2 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

Wow! Truly amazing how this thread blew up. I don't have time now, but I am looking forward to reading through it later.

Well no mind blowing revelations, but it has been a pretty good thread. It helped that a lot of people here recognized that Frax was disappointed that he missed out on a somewhat uncommon 1978 Gottlieb e-m wedgehead Hit the Deck and wanted to vent a bit.
Likewise, Frax didn't get all bent out of shape with some of the posts by others, and let us have a little bit of fun.

1979 was the last year Gottlieb produced e-m's, so Hit the Deck (and related 1978 Neptune/Poseidon) were near the end of the great era of Gottlieb e-m flipper pinball machines.

#159 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Everyone's a comedian.

dmb,

You may want to include one of the passwords/codenames listed on pg 3 of this thread topic on your next post.
I see that you are not yet Pinside "verified", and it seems like some of the regular e-m guys are trying to keep some of the trolls and riff raff out of the EM Pinball Hangout area. You know, don't want to rock the boat too bad while talking about Hit the Deck.

golfingdad gets it. See his post # 154 above on this pg.

p.s.: Hardhead, Lardass, and propane are not approved passwords.

#160 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I really don't give a flying f--k man.
15 years? I've been in the hobby 5, so whatever.
How the hell can you rip someone off on a price THEY set and it wasn't haggled at all? DERP. 100 bucks (I counteroffered 350 and go get it immediately when he asked if I wanted to match his imaginary bird price) was worth more to him than having any kind of decency when he had already agreed to a deal. Karma will come around, and he'll get his.

Honestly Frax, I liken this to finding say a cheap house in any given area. They price is abnormally low, and then expect a bidding war to break out. I know buyers and sellers in this situation. Had a friend that it worked out for (buying) as well as a couple that got $127K ABOVE their asking price because of a bidding war.

Not on the same scale, but I think it is the same idea unfortunately.

Chris

#161 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The hell he won't. He sounded like he was about 70 or 80. Death....the ultimate karma balance.

kekekeke.

you'd wish death on someone over a pinball machine? Really? Good Lord.

#162 2 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

that was my thought. we need a secret password to get in

I heard at a popular show you just need to be overweight a little and smell like pee.

#163 2 years ago
Quoted from frb:

I heard at a popular show you just need to be overweight a little and smell like pee.

you for got you have to be balding OR have a good comb over!

#164 2 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

Ha Ha, you are not picking on me Dave are you?

#165 2 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Ha Ha, you are not picking on me Dave are you?

i have been know to stalk certain pinsiders

#166 2 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

Damn, I'm just halfway there then.

#167 2 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

It's not amazing. This same discussion/argument has been made a million times...2 million if you want to go back to the RGP days. This always "blows up." Every single time.

It is a never-ending argument. Everybody wants to rationalize that they aren't screwing somebody they take advantage of on craigslist, while at the same time lapsing into an uncontrollable rage when they get "screwed" out of their ripoff deal because the third party gets involved. It's just pinball nature I guess.

The argument really has something for everybody!

The holier-than-thous get to chime in with "how dare anybody take advantage of anybody? I always give them extra money when the deal is too good!"

Then the Libertarians get to chime in with the free market stuff

The rationalizers get to twist themselves into knots explaining why they aren't screwing over an old lady who doesn't realize her dead son's Big Bang Bang Bar is worth more than the $500 she's selling it for.

And there's plenty of meat on the bone for the cargumenters who want to compare buying a Target Alpha to a vintage Pontiac.

It's basically the stairway to heaven of all online pinball pricing discussions. An all-time classic.

#168 2 years ago

New England Clam Chowder.....the white!

#169 2 years ago

we can tell who has been around here for a while by the suggested passwords...........

#170 2 years ago
#171 2 years ago

From the old Hilltop in Saugus was the best!!!

Quoted from osudrummer:

New England Clam Chowder.....the white!

#172 2 years ago

No honour among thieves and pinball collectors (who aren't local).

#173 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

No honour among thieves and pinball collectors (who aren't local).

There's no honor among local collectors either, heh.

#174 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

There's no honor among local collectors either, heh.

frax this hobby is pretty good group of people, that is until it is a game they want then all bets are off.
i never get worked up over it. i mange to always find another game to distract me from the one i lost / did not get

#175 2 years ago

Yeah, I was mostly joking with that one, but there's always going to be local pinball shops or a SUPER SERIOUS HOBBYIST (SIR) that's not going to mind screwing someone over if they get what they want.

I have a distraction, just haven't posted about it yet. :p

#176 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, I was mostly joking with that one, but there's always going to be local pinball shops or a SUPER SERIOUS HOBBYIST (SIR) that's not going to mind screwing someone over if they get what they want.
I have a distraction, just haven't posted about it yet. :p

the flippers are the ones i have to deal with around here. they don't want the games they just want to flip them for a big bucks.

#177 2 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

If it's an item I really want that's supposedly already on hold for another person, I will offer $50 to $100 more and immediate pick up. The greed of a seller always over rides their allegiance to someone who claims they'll come buy the item soon.
Afterall, who here hasn't tried to sell an item on CL and have people promise to come and then never show up? You can't blame a seller for reneging on a deal for a more solid deal offering more money.
Cash is king. You want it, get your benjamins together, get in your truck and go NOW! Otherwise, it's MINE!

And what kind of person does that make you? A jerk. Karma will get you.

#178 2 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

that is NOT always true, i have had quite a few transactions where the seller stood by his word to sell me the game even after getting hammered with offers of more money. their are still people with morals. but i do find it is becoming more rare as the years go by.

#179 2 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i mange to always find another game to distract me from the one i lost / did not get

It's like spilling your beer can with a little left in the bottom and drinking an entire new can to compensate. It's drinking away your sorrows. I totally just did this (the pinball one) and is probably why I have so many games. "Ahh well I lost that one, better get find another and fast..."

#180 2 years ago

Won't work on me. People out there are crazy, I'm not screwing someone over for $50 who has my address.

Even if it's a 1% chance the guy is a nut job, I don't need trouble for a measly $100.

Quoted from d0n:

#181 2 years ago

I've been raked over the coals on this topic both here and on local forums because I'm honest and say that "cash is king."

Whoever shows up first is the winner. The seller could always hold out for more but there's nothing like cash in hand to make it happen. Unfortunately the market is so hot now that unless you're 10 minutes away, you're going to miss out on Craigslist deals. I don't get upset when someone snakes a game over asking, it was probably underpriced anyway.

At this point I'm probably going to focus on getting games at shows. Not always the cheapest, but then I don't need to sit there waiting for alerts on my phone and having to daily drive my pin hauler just so I don't miss something.

#182 2 years ago

We did talk to Frax and let him know who the scoundrel was (me). I offered to lend him the game until our TPF in March but he passed on it.

It is a pretty rough game, one corner of the cab has come apart, the leg bolt Ts are all stripped out and legs were held on by nuts. PF is seriously ball swirled and the red star inserts are broken as well as most of the lane dividers. This game sat out in the garage for the last 10 years and underwent a lot of temperature cycling, bg is pretty flaking in the lit areas. I found a dozen mud dauber nests inside. Locks were gone, head back held on with screws. pf plastics are are broken and warped. I should have bought that set on ebay 2 weeks ago... And the cab has got some paint loss to it, will need a repaint at some point. Serial number scratched out on the cab but still on the top arch and top of head, go figure. It will need a lot of TLC.

Thanks Frax for being understanding.

Now to find a bg. It will look nice next to my Neptune.

#183 2 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

We did talk to Frax and let him know who the scoundrel was (me). I offered to lend him the game until our TPF in March but he passed on it.
It is a pretty rough game, one corner of the cab has come apart, the leg bolt Ts are all stripped out and legs were held on by nuts. PF is seriously ball swirled and the red star inserts are broken as well as most of the lane dividers. This game sat out in the garage for the last 10 years and underwent a lot of temperature cycling, bg is pretty flaking in the lit areas. I found a dozen mud dauber nests inside. Locks were gone, head back held on with screws. pf plastics are are broken and warped. I should have bought that set on ebay 2 weeks ago... And the cab has got some paint loss to it, will need a repaint at some point. Serial number scratched out on the cab but still on the apron and top of head, go figure. It will need a lot of TLC.
Thanks Frax for being understanding.
Now to find a bg. It will look nice next to my Neptune.

Well, that certainly makes the situation a little more awkward. Glad you guys could talk it over.

Did you already know you had another person ahead of you or did you just go in and throw the offer out right away (seller's fault)? Probably just the seller's doing. If not, well, then, that's not up for me to judge. Craigslist buying and eBay bidding feels very impersonal considering every other potential buying is anonymous.

Ken (pinhead) is a great guy and I hope there are no hard feelings between you two. It's obviously a rugged situation but I'm sure another good buy will come your way Frax.

#184 2 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Well, that certainly makes the situation a little more awkward. Glad you guys could talk it over.
Did you already know you had another person ahead of you or did you just go in and throw the offer out right away (seller's fault)? Probably just the seller's doing. If not, well, then, that's not up for me to judge. Craigslist buying and eBay bidding feels very impersonal considering every other potential buying is anonymous.
Ken (pinhead) is a great guy and I hope there are no hard feelings between you two. It's obviously a rugged situation but I'm sure another good buy will come your way Frax.

Completely on the seller. Ken just made an offer based on the CL ad.

Had he known that Frax already had a deal in place, there is no way that Ken would have made a higher offer to steal the deal.

Marcus

#185 2 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Completely on the seller. Ken just made an offer based on the CL ad.
Had he known that Frax already had a deal in place, there is no way that Ken would have made a higher offer to steal the deal.
Marcus

This is what I figured as well and I would expect nothing but the same as you mentioned from Ken, but figured I would ask. All my few experiences with Ken (in person and through Pinside & sales through both) have been really good, so it seems unlikely that he would do that.

#186 2 years ago

The key to this whole situation is that the seller was looking for offers instead of having a specific asking price. Frax probably would have gotten the game for what he offered if he immediately went to get it. Ken really didn't do anything wrong, because he had no way of knowing about the arrangement Frax had made with the seller, unless the seller told him (which is unlikely). I can't say that in this particular case that I can blame the seller either, because he probably didn't know the value of the game (which is why he was taking offers), and may have felt that Frax' offer was a little light after hearing from Ken. The seller probably should have contacted Frax and at least told him that he got a higher offer, and would still let him have first dibs if he wanted to match that offer. I'm glad that Ken contacted Frax, and I hope they came to an amicable understanding.

#187 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

The key to this whole situation is that the seller was looking for offers instead of having a specific asking price. Frax probably would have gotten the game for what he offered if he immediately went to get it. Ken really didn't do anything wrong, because he had no way of knowing about the arrangement Frax had made with the seller, unless the seller told him (which is unlikely). I can't say that in this particular case that I can blame the seller either, because he probably didn't know the value of the game (which is why he was taking offers), and may have felt that Frax' offer was a little light after hearing from Ken. The seller probably should have contacted Frax and at least told him that he got a higher offer, and would still let him have first dibs if he wanted to match that offer. I'm glad that Ken contacted Frax, and I hope they came to an amicable understanding.

Except in this case, the seller set the price when making the deal with Frax. Frax asked for a price. The seller set a price. Frax agreed to the price and started working pick up arrangements.

So the seller had a deal with Frax. He broke the deal when get got a better offer from Ken.

I blame the seller 100%. Frax did not make a low offer. He agreed to the price set by the seller.

The seller chose more money over his word.

Marcus

#188 2 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Except in this case, the seller set the price when making the deal with Frax. Frax asked for a price. The seller set a price. Frax agreed to the price and started working pick up arrangements.
So the seller had a deal with Frax. He broke the deal when get got a better offer from Ken.
I blame the seller 100%. Frax did not make a low offer. He agreed to the price set by the seller.
Marcus

I didn't know Frax asked the seller for a price. I thought he just made an offer. That puts a different spin on it then. At any rate, the seller minimally should have allowed Frax to match the higher offer.

#189 2 years ago

So did anyone choke on a pinball machine? Seems pretty impossible, but now that we have both sides I'd like to know if I should be concerned.

#190 2 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Marcus

So the seller reneged on his initial deal after becoming more educated on what it was he was selling?

i would imagine this happens frequently on Craigslist.

#191 2 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

scoundrel was (me)

Only scoundrel was the seller in this case. You're just a lucky scoundrel that he didn't honor his word.

I know you'll get it all fixed up and it will look great by the time TPF rolls around, man.

#192 2 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Ken (pinhead) is a great guy and I hope there are no hard feelings between you two.

None here!

*Edit* I do want to say that I could supposedly have posted in our local facebook group that I was making a deal on the game and asked everyone else to stay out, but let's be honest here.. I don't get along with everyone, and I don't want to give those people a clear opportunity to jack with my purchases. That's really about the only thing I might have done differently aside from just dealing with the fact that I'd have to drive 8 hours round trip and get like 3 hours of sleep to go to work the next day, and just have picked it up same day. I've gone to Tulsa after work to get a game, but it was REALLY rough, and frankly, without someone else able to tag along and share the drive...could be dangerous for me to be driving that late, and tired.

#193 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Only scoundrel was the seller in this case. You're just a lucky scoundrel that he didn't honor his word.
I know you'll get it all fixed up and it will look great by the time TPF rolls around, man.

Do you guys know each other? Like, outside of Pinside?

#194 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Do you guys know each other? Like, outside of Pinside?

Yeah. We're local to each other, I've been to his place..I can't remember if Ken's been to mine...I don't think so, I've only really ever had like maybe 6 or 7 times my tiny condo has been opened up for just anyone to show up. I don't ever exclude anyone though, anyone's welcome to show up when I have a league night or whatever. Ken's games are basically the reason I mess with EMs at all. The second pinball tournament I played in after getting into the hobby was at his place, and I just loved quite a few of his games. Far Out/Out of Sight can die in a fire, but Kings and Queens/King of Diamonds/300/Flip-a-card (I ended up getting a Card Trix at one point!) were my favorites at the time. I lurve 2" flipper games.

I'd love for him to repaint my Crescendo at some point, but I have to not be lazy first and get everything out of the machine, and be able to pay the guy before I commit to it!

#195 2 years ago

Hit the Deck.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
2,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Whitter, CA
$ 399.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 84.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside