(Topic ID: 174705)

If you're buying a $450 Hit the Deck today in Tulsa...

By Frax

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pos (resized).jpg
IMG_0871 (resized).JPG
IMG_0870 (resized).JPG
IMG_0869 (resized).JPG
BD (resized).jpg
YahooDelerious (resized).jpg
tumblr_m804bgW3w41rawb5do1_400 (resized).jpg

There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

What is this game worth in this condition?

Whatever somebody is willing to pay. And in this case, whoever is willing to pay more.

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

What is this game worth in this condition?

I don't know...maybe $600-800?

It's not like this is the Hope Diamond or anything. Small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from SHOOTTHEPYRAMID:

epic QQ / meltdown

calm down homie

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

$7,000 is nice but if they were expecting $200 and had no clue about the value, I think they'd be pretty happy with $200 for something that has been sitting rotting in their basement for 40 years doing nothing. Sure, throw them some extra if you're financially inclined to do so, but I don't think anybody should feel obligated to give them retail pricing for it, that's ridiculous.

$7000 is not retail for a Mermaid, $10K plus is.

If the seller would be "pretty" happy with $200, what adjective would you use to describe them getting $7000?

Quoted from Otaku:

You give it back because it was never possibly yours to begin with. It's not like you're getting the machine free, either, like you would the $100, you're still paying money for it.

In one instance, you've taken $100 from someone. In the other, you've taken $6800.

Quoted from Otaku:

You're basically saying everybody who does business is wrong. The stuffed animals in crane machines cost less in bulk than the money a kid spends at one trying to get just one and people have been doing that for years. Look at pawn shops. They give people pocket change for a lot of good stuff that they sell for 4x the price because the people selling are probably in need of dire amounts of money to feed their family or even more sad, feed their addiction(s). Hell, your $3 pack of chips at the grocery store even obviously has a decent profit on top of it, because that's how it has to be to make the world go 'round.

None of this is equivalent to paying someone 3% of an item's true value. People know cranes are rigged; they're primarily entertainment, not a source of actual toys. Common knowledge... people know what kind of crappy deals they will get at pawn shops and convenience stores. Knowledge is what the Mermaid seller lacks. Money is what the seller wants. What if they were falling behind on bills, trying to feed family, etc?

Quoted from Otaku:

If a seller is asking for $200 or $300 or $400 for a Mermaid pinball machine they haven't touched in 40 years and gets their full asking price without an offer, they probably went to bed with a smile on their face, and that is where the "moral minimum" line should be drawn.

You can draw your line wherever it's comfortable for you.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

Were you going to keep it or flip it?

Keep. I've been looking for a reasonably priced one ever since I got in the hobby, and right now I ONLY have space for a wedgehead....and my list of wanted wedgies is very short. Atlantis, Neptune (HtD)....um.......I think that's it, really. I gave up on King of Diamonds and Kings and Queens.

Go look at my wishlist. It's been on there since 2013, or I'll be happy to screencap it if you guys can't see that. Not sure how all that works. I don't typically look at others' wishlists.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

$7000 is not retail for a Mermaid, $10K plus is.
If the seller would be "pretty" happy with $200, what adjective would you use to describe them getting $7000?

Shocked, surprised.

Quoted from metallik:

In one instance, you've taken $100 from someone. In the other, you've taken $6800.

Look on the other side of things (give), in one instance, you've given somebody $0 (and stolen from them, legally [punishable] in some states, and legally [punishable] in all states, if they ask if you've seen it and you lie), and in the other, you've given them several hundred dollars. (and purchased a pinball machine)

To correct your own statement (take), you didn't take away $6,800, you took away an old pinball machine that they weren't using anymore. This is what they perceive it as, and in reality, that is actually what it is. Worth is highly subjective.

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No he won't get his.

The hell he won't. He sounded like he was about 70 or 80. Death....the ultimate karma balance.

kekekeke.

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The hell he won't. He sounded like he was about 70 or 80. Death....the ultimate karma balance.

w

t

f

#109 7 years ago

Pinballers are a tough lot, young Padwan.

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

calm down homie

if youre gonna tell me to calm down perhaps you could actually quote me. but i guess makin stuff up is how you went from hobbyist blogger to professional journalist haha.

#111 7 years ago

Dude is old...he's gotta die sometime, just like the rest of us. Didn't think the logic was too hard to follow there. Always find it amusing when people get upset about comments like that though...I think most people just go through life in utter denial of their extremely short lifespans. Frankly, I expect to be dead by 65 or so. Genetics is not on my side. But hey....maybe that's my karma.

#112 7 years ago

It's not dying, it's Hitting The Deck

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

It's not dying, it's Hitting The Deck

Scared Stiff. :p

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from SHOOTTHEPYRAMID:

if youre gonna tell me to calm down perhaps you could actually quote me. but i guess makin stuff up is how you went from hobbyist blogger to professional journalist haha.

Dude, I'm expecting you to break into my house and cook a rabbit on my stovetop. I made an offhand remark TO SOMEONE ELSE, it doesn't have to become this whole e-peen bruhaha.

BTW, you cried and are in the midst of a huge meltdown. You were quoted properly.

Jeez Frax, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Just trying to commiserate.

#115 7 years ago

I'd prefer to get hit on by a mermaid in beautiful condition.

#116 7 years ago

The negative energy here is crazy...talk about karma! Lighten up. Maybe the dude really needed the money. It's the holidays! How about some cheer?!

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

I'd prefer to get hit on by a mermaid in beautiful condition.

Or a unicorn.

Oh wait... wrong thread.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Dude, I'm expecting you to break into my house and cook a rabbit on my stovetop. I made an offhand remark TO SOMEONE ELSE, it doesn't have to become this whole e-peen bruhaha.
BTW, you cried and are in the midst of a huge meltdown. You were quoted properly.
Jeez Frax, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Just trying to commiserate.

i mean this in all seriousness: what are you talking about?

e-peen bruhaha?? quoted properly? cried/in the middle of a meltdown?

none of those things are even remotely the correct way to describe whats going on here.

i admit, i am intentionally egging you on, but i will stop because its not even fun anymore, your disconnect from reality has officially gone from amusing to just plain sad and creepy.

#119 7 years ago

aaaaaaaaaaand ignored.

again, apologies, Frax.

#120 7 years ago

This thread is heading towards the best ever list. Keep it up guys.

#121 7 years ago

Looks like someone left the EM Hangout door open again.

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Maybe spoke too soon.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

Playing both sides, eh?!

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

im having way too much fun! its sort of become this "gloves off but no cheapshots" type of thread.

ive got the windows and doors open to a beautiful evening, sittin here with my feet up, smokin and watchin x files, gettin ready for league night. to think that corny tim has this image in his head of me shedding tears during a nervous meltdown is just hilarious.

#124 7 years ago

Can the mods please move this to the bitching and moaning or price police sub-forum please.

#125 7 years ago

Hmmm,
Which Pinsider here would be bested suited to serve as Secretary of Dept of Pinball Commerce?
Several seem smart, but some are rather polarizing. Who could unite us the best to help move us fwd?

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Can the mods please move this to the bitching and moaning or price police sub-forum please.

o-din, my man: how serious does this here thread need to be for you to enjoy it? Frax needed to vent, everyone else followed suit, and round and round we go.

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Frequently, Craigslist seems to be about little more than someone trying to steal something from the uneducated.
I don't like that.

If someone prices something for sale without doing a little research to determine it's real value, it's their bad. No excuse for being "uneducated" with so much readily available information on line.

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

o-din, my man: how serious does this here thread need to be for you to enjoy it?

Serious is serious business.

YahooDelerious (resized).jpgYahooDelerious (resized).jpg

Edit- wrong yahoo.

#129 7 years ago

I would of tried to pay in advance for the machine. Obviously, the seller was going to get lots of "hits". Sometimes, you've got to take a gamble. That's probably what the buyer did.

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

that was my thought. we need a secret password to get in

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

we need a secret password to get in

Will "potato chips" do?

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Will "potato chips" do?

i was thinking "rollercoaster"

#133 7 years ago

Hey, do me a favor. If Colin and Garrett are there, can you tell them I said to take their points and sit and spin on them?

Kthx. God, I wish dallas had leagues on tuesdays, wednesdays, or thursdays!

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Will "potato chips" do?

'Hot Buttered Popcorn'

#135 7 years ago

To be fair to all sides, we really should get input from the seller and the buyer. If either is not on Pinside, then contact them via email and direct them to this thread, help get them signed up on Pinside, etc.

#136 7 years ago

'old farts and sweet tarts' (AKA: most EM owners and their backglasses )

#137 7 years ago

To be fair to all sides, we really should get input from the seller and the buyer. If either is not on Pinside, then contact them via email and direct them to this thread, help get them signed up on Pinside, etc.

I don't think that guy knows what a computer is. He had to have his wife text me photos of the back of the game to know if there was a lock on there or not....and she sent me a picture of some rocks first. Using the INTERNETS might be a bit beyond them.

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I don't think that guy knows what a computer is. He had to have his wife text me photos of the back of the game to know if there was a lock on there or not....and she sent me a picture of some rocks first. Using the INTERNETS might be a bit beyond them.

Apparently they don't have a good layaway policy neither.

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

'old farts and sweet tarts' (AKA: most EM owners and their backglasses )

I resemble that remark.

BD (resized).jpgBD (resized).jpg

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i was thinking "rollercoaster"

Yeah the old guys want to hang out in peace.

#141 7 years ago

I lucked into this one last year.

Keep looking Frax!

IMG_0869 (resized).JPGIMG_0869 (resized).JPG

IMG_0870 (resized).JPGIMG_0870 (resized).JPG

IMG_0871 (resized).JPGIMG_0871 (resized).JPG

#142 7 years ago

holy shit that cabinet looks nice. I played the poseidon at expo this year. not a bad game overall. Too bad it's only a 1 player game. I prefer 2 or more.

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

holy shit that cabinet looks nice. I played the poseidon at expo this year. not a bad game overall. Too bad it's only a 1 player game. I prefer 2 or more.

looks like this

pos (resized).jpgpos (resized).jpg

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Quoted from boilerman:

that was my thought. we need a secret password to get in

Quoted from o-din:

"potato chips"

Quoted from boilerman:

"rollercoaster"

Quoted from Darcy:

'Hot Buttered Popcorn'

Quoted from Frax:

'old farts and sweet tarts'

We better agree on the codename/password to avoid confusion as has happened before (codename Hardhat, Hardhead, Lardass)

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=befhp&p=cheech+and+chong+codename+lardass+videos#id=5&vid=962ba7b5f2ff0fcfc5a6c37d7bcc4467&action=view

#145 7 years ago

We better agree on the codename/password to avoid confusion as has happened before

As long as it's not "propane", I'm good.

#146 7 years ago

We better agree on the codename/password to avoid confusion as has happened before

GE455

#147 7 years ago

00-90 Unit

#148 7 years ago

Those black score reels are pretty sweet.

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Those black score reels are pretty sweet.

Perhaps it's only fitting that since Williams ushered in the pinball score reel era with yellow ones,

that Gottlieb should send it out with black ones.

#150 7 years ago

Now I want a hit the deck

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 0.89
Lighting
PinballReplacementParts
Lighting
$ 9.99
Lighting - Other
Pinlights
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-youre-buying-a-450-hit-the-deck-today-in-tulsa/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.