Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pninja005
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RIP Pinball preorders.jpg
    image-723.jpg
    image-761.jpg
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Friends, it's time we broke the circle of addiction. It's time to stop pre-ordering these nebulous games.

It's time if you're a pinball maker to make a complete prototype game, with your own resources, and not our money. We want to see it flip, with code, before we give you cash.

It's time to only take money when you're actually ready to start building final games (at the earliest).

"But Aurich, while I get you man, what if it's my dream theme?" I hear you friend. Temptations are around every corner, it's hard to stay strong. So here's my offer:

I will be your sponsor.

If you feel the pangs of addiction, and want to pre-order a game, talk to me first. I'll help you think it through. We'll make sure you're making a smart call.

We should all do this for someone. Buddy system. Make a deal between you and someone else:
    "I won't pre-order another game without talking it out with you first, help me make a rational decision."

#2 9 years ago

Why not make a pledge...get everyone on board a thread and if they break the oath....they should give $100 to pinside.

#3 9 years ago

You do realize we are all addicted to pinball and most of us here are distracted by each and every new shiny object we see. Like a 5 year old who sees commercials for a new toy and says I want that.
    It will not stop. People will continue to pre order games.
    The best we can hope for is that other game makers will follow spooky pinball and do it with class and professionalism.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

You do realize we are all addicted to pinball and most of us here are distracted by each and every new shiny object we see.

Of course I realize that, it's the entire point of this thread.

When you see the "ohhhh shiny!" then pause, and talk to your sponsor first. If after some cool down and talking about if it's worth it, and why you really want it, then hey, do what seems right. But work through the impulse to rational decision land.

Quoted from mrgone:

The best we can hope for is that other game makers will follow Spooky pinball and do it with class and professionalism.

Dude, Spooky is exactly the model I'm saying we should hold up as the bottom line. And if people stop making random ass pre-orders it will happen.

Making a game requires some time and money. Solving that problem is the test to enter the arena. If you can't even do that then we can't trust you to make us games.

#5 9 years ago

Sounds like AA for pinballers. I know you'll never get a call from me. But thanks.

#6 9 years ago

Can someone please politely explain to me why it bothers people so much? I really couldn't care less how other people buy their machines! It almost seems like politics!

#7 9 years ago

sounds great
    I hope you will be offering a program to help us
    I will pay you $1000 to help you develop your program

#8 9 years ago

Leechman, because we hate to see others in so much pain.

#9 9 years ago

I still think I want to pre-order the pinball 3000 , even though it's expected delivery date is long after I'll be dead . Not sure this is a good idea or not but come on it's got something that goes to space , That is awesome !

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Because we hate to see others in so much pain.

I can't argue with that! No more new preorders for me!!

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

I still think I want to pre-order the pinball 3000 , even though it's expected delivery date is long after I'll be dead . Not sure this is a good idea or not but come on it's got something that goes to space , That is awesome !

I think this project does not apply here. That's a gift straight from the gods.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Leechman:

Can someone please politely explain to me why it bothers people so much? I really couldn't care less how other people buy their machines! It almost seems like politics!

i believe what being pointed out is. Buyers are laying down cash and not being taken care of. deposits should have a percentage discount or some other type of compensation for the use of the buyers money, and when all is said and done there are still code issues and so on that are not resolved in a timely manner. So by not placing a deposit and demanding issues be addressed before laying down cash deposit and or insisting a sample game be available so the buyer has an idea of what to expect from his/her new purchase. In other words manufacturers be prepared! at least i think thats what he is getting at!

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

i believe what being pointed out is. Buyers are laying down cash and not being taken care of. deposits should have a percentage discount or some other type of compensation for the use of the buyers money, and when all is said and done there are still code issues and so on that are not resolved in a timely manner. So by not placing a deposit and demanding issues be addressed before laying down cash deposit and or insisting a sample game be available so the buyer has an idea of what to expect from his/her new purchase. In other words manufacturers be prepared! at least i think thats what he is getting at!

I get where you're coming from on some of that, but it just seems like to me that without the preorders on TH that we would be getting an expo version or similar. And now thanks to the good people on pinside we will hopefully have a much better game!

#14 9 years ago

no doubt agree a completely functional proto needs to be complete beforehand, inclusive to CAD geometries for special parts so the proposed is really READY for a production run, not 2-4 years waiting on someones vague pipe-dreams that may or not ever happen (gee look I filed bankruptcy!).

I've known many GREAT artists, and yes when it gets down to real world business many are very flaky.
    it isnt that I dont appreciate what they CAN do, but sometimes the dreams or timelines are very unrealistic. I knew a guy that there wasnt anything that couldnt be done in 20 minutes.. 3 days later..
    it wasnt for lack of skills, his mouth just wrote checks that couldnt be banked on! a good guy and he'd complete the task no matter what.. but WHEN? (and gawd all the DRAMA that went along with it)

#15 9 years ago

I have also allowed myself to get caught up in the pre-order hype so I hear you loud and clear Aurich.
    It is not just with new pins either, it could be any pin. I seem to want something new to play every 3-4 months and find myself going into search mode even though I have no more space. I started bouncing prospective purchases off a friend and fellow Pinsider and found that it definitely helps. A voice of reason to keep me in check.

#16 9 years ago

Does this include Sterns? Pre ordering before playing and just based on photos or leaked video?
    At least we know we'll see our game from Stern within 2 months of ordering...

#17 9 years ago

It's the Pinside version of "The Contest." Women must put up double, BTW.

image-761.jpgimage-761.jpg

#18 9 years ago

I'm out.

#19 9 years ago

I think we should write a book called "Preordering Pins for Dummies".

1. Take the initial down payment.
    2. Put it in a savings account or short-term corporate bond fund.
    3. When new deadlines come up, deposit money into account.
    4. If/when the stars align and pin ships, use pin map to find one and play in person.
    5. If you like the game, withdraw funds, add 10% more from your pocket and buy it.
    6. If it never ships or you don't like it, salivate over next pin announcement instead.

The 10% extra you pay is more than made up for by retaining use/control of your money and avoiding bearing someone else's business, development and financial risk in the interim. The number of pins that skyrocket after release are relatively few and if something is insanely popular, they'll make more. Handing out free loans to guys you don't know based on vague promises and napkin drawings is idiotic. It's the pinball equivalent of buying lottery tickets.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from swf127:

I think we should write a book called "Preordering Pins for Dummies".
    1. Take the initial down payment.
    2. Put it in a savings account or short-term corporate bond fund.
    3. When new deadlines come up, deposit money into account.
    4. If/when the stars align and pin ships, use pin map to find one and play in person.
    5. If you like the game, withdraw funds, add 10% more from your pocket and buy it.
    6. If it never ships or you don't like it, salivate over next pin announcement instead.
    The 10% extra you pay is more than made up for by retaining use/control of your money and avoiding bearing someone else's business, development and financial risk in the interim. The number of pins that skyrocket after release are relatively few and if something is insanely popular, they'll make more. Handing out free loans to guys you don't know based on vague promises and napkin drawings is idiotic. It's the pinball equivalent of buying lottery tickets.

Yes, I don't understand all the people thanking the preorder for exsisting and "saving" them money. Just save up the damn money yourself. Its not that hard.

The only rationale is you might find it hard to hand over the price of a car for a pin you have not played all at once, in which case you should not be buying it in pieces.

My philosophy with a game is if it is worth $7K or 8K, an extra $500 won't wreck me IF it is worth that kind of coin in the first place. The rub is when the dust settles, most of these games are not going to be all time greats worth that kind of coin. So the $500 or whatever is not saving you money. At best its just a little less that you lose by jumping in first on an unkown product.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

Ok, you're MY sponsor!!

#22 9 years ago

There might be some folks on here who I'd like to strangle sometimes but we are all part of this community. Although I think folks make "different" and in my opinion sometimes even "poor" decisions with their money, I know they've worked hard for it. I don't want any of my fellow pinball folks to be taken advantage of or be at risk to lose money. You folks have worked to hard for it!

#23 9 years ago

If I was strong enough to not preorder TWD, my most desired theme (zombies) I'm pretty sure that I won't be tempted to preorder anything else, especially from a company who has never produced a pin.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

If I was strong enough to not preorder TWD, my most desired theme (zombies) I'm pretty sure that I won't be tempted to preorder anything else, especially from a company who has never produced a pin.

You definitely need to be someone's sponsor then!

#25 9 years ago

Does your support cover people who order games with un-finished code, in the hopes that they will get it later?

If not, I need a group for that.

#27 9 years ago

I with you on this - pre-orders zero at this point. I'm also not letting myself buy a new stern until the software has been fully developed. If I have to pay an extra couple hundred bucks - so be it. The software sometimes takes as long as delivery for a pre-order.

Scott

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Leechman:

Because with pre orders there are years of bitching on Pinside with the Stern model bitching only last for month's

#29 9 years ago

You gotta love Aurich for his dedication, service and love of the Pinside community.

#30 9 years ago

Hi, My name is concretehardt and I'm addicted to preordering.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

You are the poster child for this thread.

You will need a minimum of two sponsors!

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Speaking of which, Rob, you gonna get a preemie?

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

You are the poster child for this thread.
    You will need a minimum of two sponsors!

Rob I am afraid that I am beyond help (file me in the lost pinball souls department)

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

HI CONCRETEHARDT!

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from scott_freeman:

Does your support cover people who order games with un-finished code, in the hopes that they will get it later?
    If not, I need a group for that.

We might need a new group for that, where we do big group hugs and cry it out.

#36 9 years ago

Take this picture (the horse is me) and exchange the carrot for a pinball machine (that doesn't exist yet) and that pretty much sums me up... Im not sure if it's a syndrome or a disease.
    image-723.jpgimage-723.jpg

#37 9 years ago

I waited on WOZ until I played it and bought #5 in June 2014. I didn't buy CC until CCC installed . But I bit at the last minute on TBL on the 19th. I think PHIL, may have saved me.

#38 9 years ago

Ive never pre-ordered before, but thinking of pre-ordering the MMR... PLEASE HELP!!!!!

#39 9 years ago

As I said elsewhere...

RIP Pinball preorders.jpgRIP Pinball preorders.jpg
    #40 9 years ago

I have never pre-ordered and I have no plans to start. Not saying it could never happen, but it just isn't likely.

#41 9 years ago

See and with the title I thought you were ready to be a sponsor and fund the cash for the preorder.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

"I won't pre-order another game without talking it out with you first, help me make a rational decision."

I am taking the oath as well. i will wait and see how my existing orders pan out but then I'm done with this nonsense. Any violation of the oath should be followed by a large Pinside donation as well.

Disclosure: already in on MG, RAZA and WNBJM.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

Does this include Sterns? Pre ordering before playing and just based on photos or leaked video?
    At least we know we'll see our game from Stern within 2 months of ordering...

But the code won't be done for a year or more or ever...so - same fucking difference. I guess it's cool if you want to play a proto. So, yes - this includes Sterns...they must prove themselves to me now before I purchase. I'm OUT.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

But the code won't be done for a year or more or ever...so - same fucking difference. I guess it's cool if you want to play a proto. So, yes - this includes Sterns...they must prove themselves to me now before I purchase. I'm OUT.

Speaking of being "out", haven't heard from you regarding TBL? I assume you are still in on that one?

#45 9 years ago

Before even reading the hot mess I left Friday thinking no way in hell will programming be ready for TBLs release. So much work there to be done. Both games also did not make it to the end of night before being pulled from service.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

sounds great
    I hope you will be offering a program to help us
    I will pay you $1000 to help you develop your program

I will give you a $1,000 as well if the cover of the program is chromed.

Better yet, if you agree to only make 17 program packets available I'll give you $5k. I know that means many pinsiders will never in their lifetimes have a chance to see the program, but it certainly will prove to be a more valuable cure to those who can afford it!

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Dude, Spooky is exactly the model I'm saying we should hold up as the bottom line.

^^^^this^^^^

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Speaking of being "out", haven't heard from you regarding TBL? I assume you are still in on that one?

I didn't get the surprise refund.
    I've spoken to Phil, I've spoken to Scott...there are two sides to every story...I'm going to wait for Barry's official response before making a decision.

#49 9 years ago

I am in recovery right now. if I can avoid ordering Iron Maiden LE I will feel cured of this addiction.

#50 9 years ago

I love this idea, where do I send my money?

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-youre-addicted-to-pre-ordering-i-will-be-your-sponsor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.