• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Jaytech10
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

[SOLUTION]

I feel like I've seen this issue before, I've just encountered it, and could see it happening again:

After setting up my Williams Liberty Bell (which I have owned for a little while now, but not set up) I found that with all the plugs correctly inserted, I would press the start button and the machine would reset, then step up to ball 1, then go straight to game over before the ball even kicked into the shooter lane.

This is because in transit a wire onto a switch on the hold relay broke off and while it was able to engage itself, it was not able to lock itself on and would quickly disengage. To reattach it, try putting the wire against each switch contact (there is one populated switch and one switch that isn't used/connected), one seems to make the relay pulse which you don't want, and the other locks the relay on which you do want. Turn the machine off, strip a new end to the wire, and solder the wire back to this blade with the other wires.

I also added and reflowed solder to the other end of this wire which of course goes to one of the coil lugs. It looks like at the factory they did not add enough solder to this lug in particular and perhaps it was the same with the other side connected to the switch blade, which is why it fell off so easily.

With the wire reattached and the other solder joint reinforced with a nice amount of solder (even if it may still have worked for the time being), I was back in business and the machine works great once again.

Putting this here in-case anybody has the same issue. Since by now I know quite well how to cover all of my EM bases it was pretty easy for me to find and troubleshoot without a guide (nor a schematic being used) in a couple of minutes by just doing a visual inspection of the layout of the machine, but I know for some it is not that easy, so I hope this helps. This is a very easy <10 minute fix.

I was wrongly also going to add that this would be similarly reproduced if there was an issue with the voltage going to the hold relay, but it's actually NOT, keep in mind here the issue was not voltage getting to the relays switches but rather that (correct and present) voltage not being applied back to the coil by it's own relay to lock it on and was actually turning on (to where it should lock on itself), but then turning off again quickly as it failed to lock on itself. So, this is a very particular and small issue with a big impact but in a very very small range (one small wire, one switch, one lug... sounds like a cover of a song waiting to happen), so if you're having it, chances are this is very likely your problem.

Hope this helps!

Otaku

5 years later
#2 1 year ago

I wish he posted pictures

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods
Hardware
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-your-williams-em-goes-to-ball-1-to-game-over-when-you-press-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.